• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Other Question] Wondering if I can share my game

Years
    • Age 24
    • Seen Apr 21, 2024
    So basically, I've been working on a fan game called "pokemon water blue", it's basically just fire red and leaf green fused into one and ported over to essentials. I've nearly finished it but just came to the realization, that since it's basically a fully playable version of fr/lg with minor changes, would that be basically equal to sharing a rom of the games?
    Basically, my question is: "can I share my pokemon essentials fan game that's a port if fire red and leaf green into essentials, or would that be illegal?"

Furthermore, I originally made this because I wanted to make what was essentially (heh) ROM hacks of fire red without learning how to rom hack (thought it was too complicated) so I'm worried all my work will go to waste because I won't even be able to release the games made from pokemon water blue.
    I know most ROM hacks distribute patches and such beacuse that's less likely to get you into trouble, but you can't do that with essentials (obviously).
    This was originally made so people who know how to work essentials but not ROM hacking software can make mods of fire red/ leaf green but it would suck if after all this I could share this with other people or maybe even use myself.

Last edited:
    Years
  • I'm not a legal expert, and honestly even if you follow the law they can still C&D you because you won't fight back, but if it's all your original code and assets I don't see a problem.
    The original FR/LG source code and binaries are what is protected. If you make a binary that acts very similar by using original source code I think you'll be fine.
    It's the same way that things like OpenRCT or the Mario64 decomps work; the game functions the same as the original game but the code is not the same and they don't bundle the original game's assets

Years
    • Age 24
    • Seen Apr 21, 2024
    I'm not a legal expert, and honestly even if you follow the law they can still C&D you because you won't fight back, but if it's all your original code and assets I don't see a problem.
    The original FR/LG source code and binaries are what is protected. If you make a binary that acts very similar by using original source code I think you'll be fine.
    It's the same way that things like OpenRCT or the Mario64 decomps work; the game functions the same as the original game but the code is not the same and they don't bundle the original game's assets
    It's made in pokemon essentials which definitely doesn't use the same code as fr/lg and I even took some creative liberties. I'm mostly worried about the music (that I could simply exclude) and perhaps the assets but those are included in base essentials. we still don't know why relic castle was takes down but it could have been something related to direct rips of assets from the games.

With this answer I will probably share water blue and since it's quite a niche thing, the pokemon company will probably not even be aware of it.

Thank you for the reply 👍

Years
  • It's made in pokemon essentials which definitely doesn't use the same code as fr/lg and I even took some creative liberties. I'm mostly worried about the music (that I could simply exclude) and perhaps the assets but those are included in base essentials. we still don't know why relic castle was takes down but it could have been something related to direct rips of assets from the games.

With this answer I will probably share water blue and since it's quite a niche thing, the pokemon company will probably not even be aware of it.

Thank you for the reply 👍
    Good idea! I'd hate for your work to go to waste. Best of luck!

Back