• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Worah Region Gym Leaders 8D

Getsumei

The Avatar of the Beaver
Years
Hey hey... As mentioned before.. You don't need to LOOK something to BE something XP

EDIT: I've tried and fix the stuff you mentioned, though I'm terrible at tattoos T_T So he's been left as he is, still... *sigh*

Last edited:

Giratina ♀

what's your sign?
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Jul 23, 2013
I know. But usually Leader titles fit their people, don't they? 'Street-wise' and 'young and innocent' don't always pop up in the same train of thought, do they? |3 Aww, it's a pity about the tattoos. It would have been cool to put all sorts of dragon designs all over him.

Getsumei

The Avatar of the Beaver
Years
He's "street-wise" because he's basically a street-kid, as I attempted to portray in his picture. And again, he only looks innocent... Besides, I like to not have my characters be blatantly obvious all the time...

BTW: If you haven't noticed yet, I tried the cape thing for Rayen. Please give me your lovely input XD

Last edited:

Giratina ♀

what's your sign?
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Jul 23, 2013
I noticed after I put up the post. Hold on~!

Sheena: It's good you took my advice, and I thank you for that, but there are also certain places where the outline should be black - the lines are only in color when they're near the light source, remember?

Sheena: Much better! =D The earrings look fine, and the cover-up was good too.

Edward: Just putting him in again because man, that kid is awesome. Though may I suggest changing the outfit, or at least the designs on it? Still resembles Falkner a lot.

Rayen: Better! The cloak was done very well, shading and everything. :3 Put some patterns on the headband and you've got yourself a good Grass-type Gym Leader.

Aaaaand that's it for the specifics.

Though I can say for a lot of the Gym Leaders I saw the same problem: a lot of them don't actually personify their type all that well, and with the exception of one or two that's an important trait in a Gym Leader. Take, say, Sergeant Stone. His last name sounds like he ought to be in the Rock/Ground Gym, and his design further implies that; Chloe, on the other hand, doesn't really show any type at all save for maybe Water. Bosco looks like a pretty sleazy businessman to me, and so I'd be a little more keen on putting him in the Dark or Ghost position. Of course, Kaito also looks like some sort of sleazy businessman, so... yeah. Maybe put some more Type-specific traits on your characters. (Just using my own as an example again - the Water-type Gym Leader wears a swimsuit and sort of Phoebe-ish towel skirt thing, Rock-type Gym Leader is a Rhyperior cosplayer, Fire-type Gym Leader has red and orange two-tone hair and lots of burns staining his body, etc.)

And if he's a street kid, shouldn't he not be wearing... you know... sleeveless, really open shirts and some sort of poofy hat? :/ Maybe put some Band-Aids or other scratches from scuffles on his face and arms, and try to implement some baggier clothes somewhere or something.

My suggestion: Go back and look over them all. If you can see traces of the character base in them past the pose and/or facial features, grab some paper and just redesign them entirely. Pay no attention to whatever character base they'll be easiest on, but give them an appearance that works. If you feel like it, then go back to the sprites and edit them into the new look - they'll probably be a lot better, and all practice is good practice.

Getsumei

The Avatar of the Beaver
Years
Sheena: I'll try and get on it ^^

Sheena(Sheila? XD): Thank you ^^

Edward: I know he does, but again, I find that that clothing fits the character I was making very much, which is what I'm focused at the most. I didn't make these so I could show off some sort of pixelation talent, I made them to make my leaders, as I envisioned them. Of course, I don't want them to be exact copies, but I also don't want them to lose their character because I have to go out of my way to make them different.

Rayen: Thank you! I wasn't sure how it looked ^^;; And yeah, I was thinking of doing something with the headband, just haven't figured out exactly what.

And now for this:

Though I can say for a lot of the Gym Leaders I saw the same problem: a lot of them don't actually personify their type all that well, and with the exception of one or two that's an important trait in a Gym Leader. Take, say, Sergeant Stone. His last name sounds like he ought to be in the Rock/Ground Gym, and his design further implies that; Chloe, on the other hand, doesn't really show any type at all save for maybe Water. Bosco looks like a pretty sleazy businessman to me, and so I'd be a little more keen on putting him in the Dark or Ghost position. Of course, Kaito also looks like some sort of sleazy businessman, so... yeah. Maybe put some more Type-specific traits on your characters. (Just using my own as an example again - the Water-type Gym Leader wears a swimsuit and sort of Phoebe-ish towel skirt thing, Rock-type Gym Leader is a Rhyperior cosplayer, Fire-type Gym Leader has red and orange two-tone hair and lots of burns staining his body, etc.)

See, you see a problem, but it's 100% purposely done. I've always thought that alot of the Leaders of the original games was sometimes TOO obvious, both in their names and appearance. It's as if they were born to represent the Type they end up representing, and well, I don't like that. I'm much more into a little more complex characters.

For example, if I was to be made into a Trainer, I'd probably seem like a dark Type person, seeing as how I usually wear dark clothes and have hair(and if I smile creepily, facial expression XD) similar to Edward... Yet, when I look at the Pokémon I prefer, I see ALOT of Normal, Rock/Ground and Water types. A persons look, personality and preferences doesn't always fit like a glove, which is why I've made the trainers as they are.

Chloe, for example, was one of the first ones I decided on... Instead of having some big rugged man, I wanted a little innocent girl, who just had a strange affection towards Rock and Ground types, claiming them to be "cute".

These characters ain't there JUST to be Gym Leaders... They're characters of their own, so I want to put in alot of thought in them, not just say "well, he's water, so he'll be a swimming instructor named.. Uh... Wave!". I like to have people think again...

But all in all, if you knew the personality and background on the characters, you ould most likely understand more why they have the type preference and Gym that they have. I just didn't really want to write out bio's for every one of them.

And if he's a street kid, shouldn't he not be wearing... you know... sleeveless, really open shirts and some sort of poofy hat? :/ Maybe put some Band-Aids or other scratches from scuffles on his face and arms, and try to implement some baggier clothes somewhere or something.

Well, you can't see his pants, so maybe they're baggy? XD The scratches and band-aids are a good idea, and I think i'll use that, but the rest, I feel portray him very well, but that's a matter of perspective I guess. The sleeveless shirt is really just to give a sense that "he's so poor he can't even afford sleeves" XP, the single glove is kinda the same... He doesn't have enough to get a pair, so he only has one... The hat is mostly for the innocence look again, but it's size is also so big you could get the feel that he could almost "hide in it" XD

My suggestion: Go back and look over them all. If you can see traces of the character base in them past the pose and/or facial features, grab some paper and just redesign them entirely. Pay no attention to whatever character base they'll be easiest on, but give them an appearance that works. If you feel like it, then go back to the sprites and edit them into the new look - they'll probably be a lot better, and all practice is good practice.

While I appreciate the suggestion, these designs is what works. Most of them is exactly how I envisioned them. Some could maybe still need some work, but I either can't think of anything that wouldn't change them too much, or I'm simply not good enough to do the edit(such as his tattoos). As mentioned before, usually, I would have drawn the characters by hand, but I don't have a scanner, which is why I tried it this way. And alot of them would resemble what they do now.

Last edited:

Giratina ♀

what's your sign?
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Jul 23, 2013
Sheena(Sheila? XD): Thank you ^^

Sorry, they're pretty similar names. Eheh.

Edward: I know he does, but again, I find that that clothing fits the character I was making very much, which is what I'm focused at the most. I didn't make these so I could show off some sort of pixelation talent, I made them to make my leaders, as I envisioned them. Of course, I don't want them to be exact copies, but I also don't want them to lose their character because I have to go out of my way to make them different.
So you purposefully gave him a short jacket and tied-up baggy... thing? I've got nothing against you wanting to portray your characters correctly, but when you see a top that looks an awful lot like Falkner's, your mind's eye portrays a bottom that looks an awful lot like Falkner's. And I don't know how likely it is that all of your character designs were composed partly of looking at established Gym Leaders and modifying parts a little bit, but... eh.

See, you see a problem, but it's 100% purposely done. I've always thought that alot of the Leaders of the original games was sometimes TOO obvious, both in their names and appearance. It's as if they were born to represent the Type they end up representing, and well, I don't like that. I'm much more into a little more complex characters.
Complex characters do not equal characters who don't look like they had been designed for their jobs - which, at the end of the day, they were. And no, they weren't born to represent their Type, but they do decide how they dress up and generally what they appear to others. Maybe your Gym Leaders are just pretty lax about keeping up an image of Type clarity in your region, but you still must keep in mind that these people have been designated to represent their city and their Type, and they need to have sometimes-weird outfits to represent that.
For example, if I was to be made into a Trainer, I'd probably seem like a dark Type person, seeing as how I usually wear dark clothes and have hair(and if I smile creepily, facial expression XD) similar to Edward... Yet, when I look at the Pokémon I prefer, I see ALOT of Normal, Rock/Ground and Water types. A persons look, personality and preferences doesn't always fit like a glove, which is why I've made the trainers as they are.
No, not all Trainers perfectly represent their Type preferences. I agree. I love Dark, Ghost, and Psychic-types, and yet as a Trainer I'd be likely dressed up in a cheap, funny t-shirt and jeans. But Gym Leaders are not regular guys who run around with their Pokemon - part of these people's jobs is looking the part of Type master. They dress up like their Type on purpose.
Chloe, for example, was one of the first ones I decided on... Instead of having some big rugged man, I wanted a little innocent girl, who just had a strange affection towards Rock and Ground types, claiming them to be "cute".
Okay, but still, one of the things expected of a Gym Leader is to look the part.
These characters ain't there JUST to be Gym Leaders... They're characters of their own, so I want to put in alot of thought in them, not just say "well, he's water, so he'll be a swimming instructor named.. Uh... Wave!". I like to have people think again...
While that's true - they do need to be characters in their own right, and making people think a little to find the connections are fine - some people don't get those right away just from looking at them. For example, Chloe. When people come to review your Gym Leader sprites and you tell them which Type they are, how are they supposed to know that Chloe just finds Rock and Ground-types cute or something to that effect? They expect to know what they're looking at with Gym Leaders, and unless you put in a little mini-bio they're going to be thinking, "This stuff is totally random!" on some of them.

Of course, they're your characters and you can make them however you like, but I'm just pointing out my opinions and objections as a rather more... ahem... traditional Gym Leader designer.
But all in all, if you knew the personality and background on the characters, you ould most likely understand more why they have the type preference and Gym that they have. I just didn't really want to write out bio's for every one of them.
That's probably true. But there are no bios, like you said, and so I don't know the story behind them all.

I feel portray him very well, but that's a matter of perspective I guess. The sleeveless shirt is really just to give a sense that "he's so poor he can't even afford sleeves" XP, the single glove is kinda the same... He doesn't have enough to get a pair, so he only has one... The hat is mostly for the innocence look again, but it's size is also so big you could get the feel that he could almost "hide in it" XD
Yeah, it likely is a matter of perspective. None of that really occurred to me, so... |3

Well, in any case, good luck with your RP.

Getsumei

The Avatar of the Beaver
Years
Sorry, they're pretty similar names. Eheh.

Well, Sheena, Sheila and Sasha are sisters, thus also the resembling hair color XD

So you purposefully gave him a short jacket and tied-up baggy... thing? I've got nothing against you wanting to portray your characters correctly, but when you see a top that looks an awful lot like Falkner's, your mind's eye portrays a bottom that looks an awful lot like Falkner's. And I don't know how likely it is that all of your character designs were composed partly of looking at established Gym Leaders and modifying parts a little bit, but... eh.

I chose him because I find that the jacket resembles(if it wasn't already meant to be) a haori, a type of clothing that I feel fits the character.

But yes, some have been influenced by the base, but the base itself was chosen based on how much they resembled the original character. But many of the characters are from old RP's, who have simply been reused. Rei, Shinzoku and Kaito, for example, are all characters I frequently use for RP's.

Complex characters do not equal characters who don't look like they had been designed for their jobs - which, at the end of the day, they were. And no, they weren't born to represent their Type, but they do decide how they dress up and generally what they appear to others. Maybe your Gym Leaders are just pretty lax about keeping up an image of Type clarity in your region, but you still must keep in mind that these people have been designated to represent their city and their Type, and they need to have sometimes-weird outfits to represent that.
No, not all Trainers perfectly represent their Type preferences. I agree. I love Dark, Ghost, and Psychic-types, and yet as a Trainer I'd be likely dressed up in a cheap, funny t-shirt and jeans. But Gym Leaders are not regular guys who run around with their Pokemon - part of these people's jobs is looking the part of Type master. They dress up like their Type on purpose.
Okay, but still, one of the things expected of a Gym Leader is to look the part.

It is expected that they are OBVIOUS because that's how they are in the games, where even their NAMES are made to make you think of the type. But, this is games... I'm making an RP where I want the characters to be more realistic, and thus, it would be a rare coincidence for a person to be named Rose and then, when she grows up, she JUST SO HAPPENS to become the leader of a Gym specializing in Grass types.

And where does it ever say they are REQUIRED to look their part? Nowhere, they just do in the games. They may be Leaders of a Gym, which just so happens to specialize in a specific type, but they're normal people too, and if I became a Gym leader, I wouldn't change how I look, just because of that... My social status/job wouldn't cause me to change myself... I'm who I am, and I dress however I want, not how people expect me to.

While that's true - they do need to be characters in their own right, and making people think a little to find the connections are fine - some people don't get those right away just from looking at them. For example, Chloe. When people come to review your Gym Leader sprites and you tell them which Type they are, how are they supposed to know that Chloe just finds Rock and Ground-types cute or something to that effect? They expect to know what they're looking at with Gym Leaders, and unless you put in a little mini-bio they're going to be thinking, "This stuff is totally random!" on some of them.

Well... All characters will have a bio on the site where I'm creating the RP, obviously, but generally, the characters doesn't necessarily know who's what, and especially Kyril and Chloe are made to be, like... SURPRISE! kind of characters.

I just put up the characters here to get a general oppinion of the characters themselves really. And help on some improvements, which I've gotten, thanks to you ^^ If people don't think they fit their roles is their own problem XP

Of course, they're your characters and you can make them however you like, but I'm just pointing out my opinions and objections as a rather more... ahem... traditional Gym Leader designer.

And I totally respect that, sorry if you felt otherwise ^^ I'm just not all that traditional I suppose XD I don't like when things are too obvious, unless I intend for it to be obvious for a reason, and that "they specialize in [insert type] types", isn't a good enough reason for me XD

A reason for me would be to show a character's lack of creativity by having them call their newly caught Meowth "Kitty" or "Neko"(the japanese word for cat)

That's probably true. But there are no bios, like you said, and so I don't know the story behind them all.

And obviously I didn't expect you to, just telling you why I did it like I did ^^

Yeah, it likely is a matter of perspective. None of that really occurred to me, so... |3

Yeah, people think in different ways ^^

Well, in any case, good luck with your RP.

Thank you ^^ If you're possibly interested in joining when it's done, I could give you a heads up ;P

Might take a while, though... There's still alot of technical stuff I want to work out ^^

Last edited:

Giratina ♀

what's your sign?
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Jul 23, 2013
[sits up straight]

It's a forum-based roleplay? =DDDD
Omaigawd, I love roleplaying. Of course I'm gonna join when it's done!

Otherwise, yeah. Most of my reply would boil down to opinions on how to handle a character, which is definitely not what we need in a sprite thread. XD Nothing else to say. Of course, I wholeheartedly agree with the "SURPRISE!" characters; they're always good fun. I've got one planned as one of my fanfiction-oriented Gym Leaders, and it's a handful just keeping him around in my brain. Heh heh.

Getsumei

The Avatar of the Beaver
Years
I would be honoured to have you ^^ And then if you don't agree with my Gym leaders, you can always take one over yourself. I give people that option... they have to be very strong and respected though XD

BlankPoints

Dumb Apples
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Nov 3, 2023
The second set of gym leaders you just brought out were great,

NOTE:Don't worry F.F. Giratina I thought Kyril was a girl too (-_-) srry Getsumei

Your Edward sprite totally rocks, he has a personality attached to him but he looks a little,little bit like Falkner

Getsumei

The Avatar of the Beaver
Years
The second set of gym leaders you just brought out were great,

NOTE:Don't worry F.F. Giratina I thought Kyril was a girl too (-_-) srry Getsumei

Your Edward sprite totally rocks, he has a personality attached to him but he looks a little,little bit like Falkner

Don't say sorry, as said, it was kinda on purpose XD

And just let him. To me, he's still Edward <3

Empty Pot

a new beginning...
Years
~Bug Type Leader: Sgt. Stone "The Veteran"
VSStone.png

~Humility Badge[Not made yet]

Psychic Type Leader: Kyril "The Street-wise Prodigy"
VSKyril.png

~Patience Badge[Not made yet]

I have to say, these are the two best in my sincere opinion.

Sgt. Stone looks amazing.
Kyril's style would most likely make her my favorite Gym Leader.

All and all, these are some good resprites.

Edit: Wait!? Kyril is a guy?! D: Aw, I thought it was a cute bunch of pixles til I read that.

Giratina ♀

what's your sign?
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Jul 23, 2013
It's probably because he was made from a more feminine base, and people automatically think, "Oh, brown Lyra!" or something.

Giratina ♀

what's your sign?
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Jul 23, 2013
...Really? You mentioned that? Didn't see. But yeah, also like you said, intentionally feminine Gym Leader.

Back