• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Working on a team on Showdown

ProfDunsparce

And now I become Dunsparce...
Years
    • Seen Jun 15, 2014
    So I'm looking for suggestions on this team I put together so here goes:

Mamoswine@Focus Sash
    Oblivious
    Jolly Nature
    252 Atk/ 252 Spe/ 4 HP
    -Earthquake
    -Ice Shard
    -Icicle Crash
    -Stealth Rock

Probably the best stealth rock lead I know of. Focus Sash + Oblivious means I'm guaranteed to get my rocks up. And if I can get them up without losing health, I now have a very formidable physical attacker with STAB priority who can't be OHKOd.

Diggersby@Choice Scarf
    Huge Power
    Adamant Nature
    252 Atk/ 252 Spe/ 4 HP
    -Earthquake
    -U-turn
    -Return
    -Quick Attack

This is what I lead with when I see that the opposing team has a potential rapid spinner/defogger or a magic bounce user. I use U-turn to scout, which is fantastic because Espeon without a Focus Sash will always be OHKOd (in my experience). Earthquake and Return are powerful STAB and Quick Attack is to hit weakened pokes. With a Choice Scarf, even with the Adamant nature I can outspeed positive natured base 123s (Noivern).

Gengar@Life Orb
    Timid Nature
    252 SpA/ 252 Spe/ 4 HP
    -Substitute
    -Shadow Ball
    -Sludge Bomb
    -Focus Blast

One of my favorite pokes. Ghost typing is better than ever now that Steel doesn't resist. Substitute eases prediction and prevents status. It's also easy to set up because Gengar tends to force some switches. Shadow Ball and Sludge Bomb are for STAB and Focus Blast is for coverage

Sableye@Leftovers
    Prankster
    Bold Nature
    252 HP/ 252 Def/ 4 SpD
    -Recover
    -Will-o-Wisp
    -Taunt
    -Foul Play

Really love this guy. Priority Taunt and Will-o-wisp are just so damn useful. Foul Play allows me to hit strong physical attackers very hard.

Gyarados@Gyaradosite
    Intimidate -> Mold Breaker
    Jolly Nature
    88 HP/ 252 Atk/ 168 Spe
    -Dragon Dance
    -Waterfall
    -Earthquake
    -Ice Fang

Just starting to use this guy and I'm very impressed by the bulk of the mega form. You can also play mind games by dragon dancing before you mega evolve and then mega evolving for the extra bulk and different typing. 168 Speed Evs with a Jolly Nature means I can outspeed positive natured base 130s after one dragon dance.

Zapdos@Choice Specs
    Pressure
    Timid Nature
    252 SpA/ 252 Spe/ 4 HP
    -Thunderbolt
    -Volt Switch
    -Heat Wave
    -Extrasensory

Powerful special attacker, made more so with the Choice Specs. Thunderbolt for STAB, Volts Switch to make a VoltTurn combo with Diggersby. Heat Wave and Extrasensory are for coverage.

So there's my team. Right off the bat, I'll just say that I have 2 stealth rock weaknesses and no rapid spinner/defogger. I love Sableye but maybe I should replace him with Mandibuzz? I've also had a hard time against Mega Charizard X after it gets a Dragon Dance under its belt. Just a few weaknesses I've noticed so far. The Mega Charizard issue isn't as important though because no team's going to have an answer for everything. But I'm thinking the weakness to hazards might be a bit of a problem. Anyway, all help/criticism/suggestions are welcome, so fire away!

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Choice Scarf is redundant with Diggersby's Quick Attack. Instead, use Wild Charge to let Diggersby hit Skarmory and other bulky Waters.

Substitute + Life Orb wears down Gengar fast. The only time to use that is when Gengar is using Pain Split, which is more effective the lower Gengar's HP is. Either use Black Sludge as the item, or use Pain Split over Sludge Bomb.

Actually, Mega Gyarados can get away with using Adamant, since its bulk is what makes setting up Dragon Dance easy: 24 HP/252 Atk/232 Spe Adamant still gives you more power while still outspeeding Noivern.

As an attacker, Zapdos is outclassed by both formes of Thundurus, as they're faster than it is and both have Superpower to hit special walls:

Incarnate Thundurus:
    -Thunder Wave
    -Thunderbolt
    -Focus Blast/U-turn
    -Hidden Power (Ice)/U-turn
    Nature: Timid/Naive
    EVs: 4 Def/252 SAtk/252 Spe
    Item: Life Orb
    Ability: Prankster

or
    -Nasty Plot
    -Thunderbolt
    -Focus Blast
    -Hidden Power (Ice)/Taunt
    Nature: Timid
    Item: Life Orb/Leftovers

or
    -Thunderbolt
    -U-turn
    -Hidden Power (Ice)/Grass Knot
    -Focus Blast/Grass Knot
    Nature: Naive
    EVs: 4 Atk/252 SAtk/252 Spe
    Item: Life Orb/Expert Belt
    Ability: Defiant

or
    -Taunt
    -Volt Switch/Thunderbolt
    -Hidden Power (Ice)
    -Thunder Wave/Focus Blast
    Item: Leftovers

Therian Thundurus:
    -Agility
    -Thunderbolt
    -Hidden Power (Ice)
    -Grass Knot/Focus Blast
    Nature: Modest
    EVs 252 SAtk/4 SDef/252 Spe

or
    -Nasty Plot
    -Agility
    -Thunderbolt
    -Hidden Power (Ice)
    EVs: 128 HP/252 SAtk/128 Spe

or
    -Thunderbolt
    -Volt Switch/U-turn
    -Hidden Power (Ice)
    -Grass Knot/Focus Blast
    Item: Choice Scarf

Edit: I think Excadrill may be a better fit due to it resisting Stealth Rock and not adding a Stealth Rock weakness to the team:
    -Earthquake
    -Rock Slide/Iron Head
    -Rapid Spin
    -Swords Dance/Substitute
    Nature: Jolly
    EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe
    Item: Air Balloon/Chople Berry
    Ability: Mold Breaker

ProfDunsparce

And now I become Dunsparce...
    Years
    • Seen Jun 15, 2014
    Choice Scarf is redundant with Diggersby's Quick Attack. Instead, use Wild Charge to let Diggersby hit Skarmory and other bulky Waters.

Substitute + Life Orb wears down Gengar fast. The only time to use that is when Gengar is using Pain Split, which is more effective the lower Gengar's HP is. Either use Black Sludge as the item, or use Pain Split over Sludge Bomb.

Actually, Mega Gyarados can get away with using Adamant, since its bulk is what makes setting up Dragon Dance easy: 24 HP/252 Atk/232 Spe Adamant still gives you more power while still outspeeding Noivern.

As an attacker, Zapdos is outclassed by both formes of Thundurus, as they're faster than it is and both have Superpower to hit special walls:

Incarnate Thundurus:
    -Thunder Wave
    -Thunderbolt
    -Focus Blast/U-turn
    -Hidden Power (Ice)/U-turn
    Nature: Timid/Naive

or
    -Nasty Plot
    -Thunderbolt
    -Focus Blast
    -Hidden Power (Ice)/Taunt
    Item: Life Orb/Leftovers

or
    -Thunderbolt
    -U-turn
    -Hidden Power (Ice)/Grass Knot
    -Focus Blast/Grass Knot
    Nature: Naive
    EVs: 4 Atk/252 SAtk/252 Spe
    Item: Life Orb/Expert Belt
    Ability: Defiant

or
    -Taunt
    -Volt Switch/Thunderbolt
    -Hidden Power (Ice)
    -Thunder Wave/Focus Blast
    Item: Leftovers

Therian Thundurus:
    -Agility
    -Thunderbolt
    -Hidden Power (Ice)
    -Grass Knot/Focus Blast
    EVs 252 SAtk/4 SDef/252 Spe

or
    -Nasty Plot
    -Agility
    -Thunderbolt
    -Hidden Power (Ice)
    EVs: 128 HP/252 SAtk/128 Spe

or
    -Thunderbolt
    -Volt Switch/U-turn
    -Hidden Power (Ice)
    -Grass Knot/Focus Blast
    Item: Choice Scarf

Edit: I think Excadrill may be a better fit due to it resisting Stealth Rock and not adding a Stealth Rock weakness to the team:
    -Earthquake
    -Rock Slide/Iron Head
    -Rapid Spin
    -Swords Dance/Substitute
    Nature: Jolly
    EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe
    Item: Air Balloon/Chople Berry
    Ability: Mold Breaker

Thanks for that in-depth reply. I've actually been experimenting with the Life Orb and Black Sludge variants of Gengar and I was feeling that he lacks punch without Life Orb, but then again it is nice to set up a sub, take something out and keep healing to a good level.

As for the Excadrill set, do you think Rock Slide/Iron Head is necessary for coverage? I was thinking of using Shadow Claw since it allows it to hit Trevenant and Gourgeist fairly hard.

Excadrill definitely helps solve the entry hazard problem, but do you think it's problematic to only have one special attacker in Gengar? I just feel like Will-o-wisp would case me some major headaches if I only have one special attacker.

Thanks a bunch for your help though and I'll definitely keep tweaking things until I get something that works

dreyko

Isolated System.
    Years
  • If you feel that Gengar lacks some punch you could switch its nature to Modest to allow for more power.

I like Pain Split + Black Sludge to help give gengar some type of longevity. Also, focus Sash and destiny Bond is viable, although kinda gimmicky.

Gengar
    Modest
    Levitate
    Black Sludge
    4HP/252 Sp.Attk/252 Speed

Pain Split
    Shadow Ball
    Will-O-Wisp
    Sludge Bomb/Substitute

This is the set I have had some success with when i use Gengar. Will-0-Wisp takes some prediction. If you predict a switch you can get a Sub followed by Wisp, or just go for the burn, as it is great at crippling physical attackers.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • If you feel that Gengar lacks some punch you could switch its nature to Modest to allow for more power.

I like Pain Split + Black Sludge to help give gengar some type of longevity. Also, focus Sash and destiny Bond is viable, although kinda gimmicky.

Gengar
    Modest
    Levitate
    Black Sludge
    4HP/252 Sp.Attk/252 Speed

Pain Split
    Shadow Ball
    Will-O-Wisp
    Sludge Bomb/Substitute

This is the set I have had some success with when i use Gengar. Will-0-Wisp takes some prediction. If you predict a switch you can get a Sub followed by Wisp, or just go for the burn, as it is great at crippling physical attackers.
    Modest should never be used on Gengar. Without Timid, Gengar fails to outspeed things like Mega Pinsir, Hydreigon and Haxorus with Jolly natures.

Back