• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Worth getting?

Years
    • Seen Dec 31, 2017
    So I am getting close to finishing AS, I wanted to get a few more of the starters we get from that game and Kyogre. Im sure I will get some of the other legendary Pokémon too.

I played through Sun and liked it, I prefer the Gyms over Island Challenges. I guess I am wondering if the Ultra version is worth playing? The way the PC works was a lot better and not needing a HM pokemon was very nice. Also not needing to have all the type strengths and weaknesses memorize was handy, I can never remember all of them.

My biggest concern is that I am going to be playing the same game over again with a few tweaks and I don't want to do that. I never played Sapphire or Ruby, only ORAS. I am playing AS for the reasons I mentioned above.

Any feedback is welcomed.

PS Squirtle is a Boss :)

Ageha1304

Ageha
    Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2022
    I haven't played Ultra Sun or Moon myself, but I watched few Let's Plays on youtube and I came to a conclusion that Ultra Sun or Moon is not worth buying. There are just some new pokemon encounters, Ultra Recon Squad and that's about it. I don't think it is worth the money. Save it for the next pokemon game or a different game altogether. :)

Years
    • Seen Dec 31, 2017
    I haven't played Ultra Sun or Moon myself, but I watched few Let's Plays on youtube and I came to a conclusion that Ultra Sun or Moon is not worth buying. There are just some new pokemon encounters, Ultra Recon Squad and that's about it. I don't think it is worth the money. Save it for the next pokemon game or a different game altogether. :)

I was reading about the island scan and it sounds cool, but again I wasn't sure if it would be worth getting. I can always trade to get the mons I want to pick up, and they level faster.

Speaking of next Pokémon game, is there any news/word on that?

Volga

The Dragon Knight
    Years
    • Age 35
    • Seen Mar 19, 2023
    Unlike what Ageha said, I'd say they're worth it. The changes are certainly more than they said.

- Starting with the second visit to Aether Paradise, the story is very different, with minimal similarities.
    - There is an extra island trial, one of the E4 is changed, there is a different "champion"
    - There is an extra post-game storyline involving familiar faces (not saying just in case you want to go blind).
    - Stuff in general is expanded, USUM are more akin to Emerald/Platinum rather than just remakes like ORAS.

Not yet, and you shouldn't expect it soon. USUM has been out for about a month and a half, so it will be a while.
    Nintendo CEO said at E3 that details will come "in more than a year", so details won't come until June at the earliest.

Last edited:

SmartypantsGamingYT

Still A Kakuna
    Years
    • Seen Oct 13, 2018
    Yes, I believe it is definitely worth it.
    Ultra Warp Hole Ride, Pikachu Valley(or whatever its called), and the buffed shiny rates make the game awesome!
    There are also a load of new sidequests(including some insanely creepy ones), and postgame sequences)(Lillie's Father is-I won't spoil it, but you see it in USUM)

Years
    • Seen Mar 1, 2023
    Personally, I don't think it's worth it if you've already played the original Sun. I really couldn't get myself to stay in for long enough to notice any significant changes other than some additional Pokémon and some slightly modified events and dialogue.

Apparently it gets better later on, but I've not found it worth it the price of an entirely new game. Don't expect something like Black & White 2.

Ageha1304

Ageha
    Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2022

None unfortunately. From what I have noticed they usually announce the release of new game around May and release it in November. It's been that way at least for the last three years.

Years
    • Seen Dec 31, 2017
    Unlike what Ageha said, I'd say they're worth it. The changes are certainly more than they said.

- Starting with the second visit to Aether Paradise, the story is very different, with minimal similarities.
    - There is an extra island trial, one of the E4 is changed, there is a different "champion"
    - There is an extra post-game storyline involving familiar faces (not saying just in case you want to go blind).
    - Stuff in general is expanded, USUM are more akin to Emerald/Platinum rather than just remakes like ORAS.

Not yet, and you shouldn't expect it soon. USUM has been out for about a month and a half, so it will be a while.
    Nintendo CEO said at E3 that details will come "in more than a year", so details won't come until June at the earliest.

Ok good to know about USUM and what was said at E3. Thank you

Years
    • Seen Dec 31, 2017
    Personally, I don't think it's worth it if you've already played the original Sun. I really couldn't get myself to stay in for long enough to notice any significant changes other than some additional Pokémon and some slightly modified events and dialogue.

Apparently it gets better later on, but I've not found it worth it the price of an entirely new game. Don't expect something like Black & White 2.

I didn't play Black and White 1 or 2 so I can't make the connection there, but Im guessing they were pretty different games.

Ageha1304

Ageha
    Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2022
    I didn't play Black and White 1 or 2 so I can't make the connection there, but Im guessing they were pretty different games.

In Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon game is happening in a different timeline than Sun/Moon, meaning that big part of the game and the plot is the same.

In Black 2/White 2 game takes places 2 years after Black/White so it is like a next chapter in the story rather than the same story that has been modified. Main protagonists and rivals are also different people, so I feel like there are more differences between Black/White and Black 2/White 2 than Sun/Moon and Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon.

Years
    • Seen Dec 31, 2017
    In Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon game is happening in a different timeline than Sun/Moon, meaning that big part of the game and the plot is the same.

In Black 2/White 2 game takes places 2 years after Black/White so it is like a next chapter in the story rather than the same story that has been modified. Main protagonists and rivals are also different people, so I feel like there are more differences between Black/White and Black 2/White 2 than Sun/Moon and Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon.

Ohhh I like the idea behind BW 1 and 2. that would have been cool.

Back