• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Would it be better as a live action instead of turn based?

Would pokemon be better as a live action game instead of a turn based?

• Yes!

Votes: 29 42.6%
  • No.

Votes: 39 57.4%

• Total voters

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
Years
  • I think the console games would do really well with a live action battle system but that would be much harder to implement on the handheld systems because of space restraints.

Unfortunately, all they ever want to do with the series, if they aren't doing a total spinoff, is let us play with our handheld game Pokémon in 3D instead of making something totally new. :[

xiraiya

Future Sinnoh Champion
    Years
  • Lets say they Release a Pokemon MMORPG that is exactly like the DS/GBA Rpg but 3D, the battles I could see as live action.

BATTLE START
    Charizard VS. Arcanine

Your Trainer character is standing on the Sidelines, the camera is behind and slightly above charizard, tilt the joystick left and he starts side stepping left, Charizard is always facing the opponent (think of a semi Auto-target thing)

You can run foward, and and do basic attacks like hitting the opponent or in Arcanine's case, run the enemy and jump on them knocking them back etc, they aren't actual attacks so they don't do much damage.

But you would still have your 4 main attacks.
    - Flame Thrower
    - Wing Attack
    - Another
    - Another

Anyway, Arcanine uses Extremespeed, You double tap jump for Charizard and he'll start hovering in the air, use Flamethrower, obviously it'll do crap all damage.
    Arcanine is suddenly at a disadvantage, It uses Arial ace by building up momentum and launches into the sky knocking charizard to the ground.

Basically the camera is always third person but from behind Charizard (for you)
    I think it would work well like that, and all stats can work, I mean obviously high speed pokemon are gonna be annoying to kill since they just move so fast.

A good example of this kind of fighting is that Naruto Ninja storm game on PS3, but different camera angles.
    I think it would be epic to have people witness you online using venusaur to use vines to trap the enemy and then Solar Beam them (if your quick enough)

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    First of all, a note to the OP: Live-action is acting as opposed to animation and is really rather unrelated as I'm sure you'd agree, real-time is the term for non-turn-based things.

I support a Final Fantasy-styled combat system, which is something of a hybrid.

No, because Pokemon is strategy based.

If a RPG is strategy based, it should be turn based.
    Strategy is what to do.
    Tactics is how to do.

Real-time has both, would you believe it?... Or do you simply not enjoy tactics?

Last edited:

Idiot!

One shot, one kill.
    Years
    • Seen Mar 17, 2011
    Insert random filler here.

Last edited:

pkmn mstr ketz

i love you too
    Years
  • Yeah i agree, taking turns lets you find a battle srategy, otherwise it would be too quick. helps you plan what you will do next and anticipate the foe's turn. thats what makes it pokemon!

xiraiya

Future Sinnoh Champion
    Years
  • Taking turns is nice, but the thrill of watching Pokemon going at it in real time and in 3D would be brilliant.

Charmageddon

Charizard has evolved into ^
    Years
    • Seen Apr 25, 2016
    No, it wouldn't be as good, but I'd like to have a go at it nonetheless.

rxpapi12

Metal Gear....
    Years
    • Seen Jul 14, 2009
    It is an interesting concept, but I would have to say no. As stated above, it would take huge amounts of processing power, and it would take forever to get used to it! It just wouldn't quite be Pokemon any more...
    Processing Power.... If it wasn't Nintedno exclusive and the devs really worked on it I bet it would be awesome if done on the ps3 lol

Zero Avenged

Be greater.
    Years
  • Lets say they Release a Pokemon MMORPG that is exactly like the DS/GBA Rpg but 3D, the battles I could see as live action.

BATTLE START
    Charizard VS. Arcanine

Your Trainer character is standing on the Sidelines, the camera is behind and slightly above charizard, tilt the joystick left and he starts side stepping left, Charizard is always facing the opponent (think of a semi Auto-target thing)

You can run foward, and and do basic attacks like hitting the opponent or in Arcanine's case, run the enemy and jump on them knocking them back etc, they aren't actual attacks so they don't do much damage.

But you would still have your 4 main attacks.
    - Flame Thrower
    - Wing Attack
    - Another
    - Another

Anyway, Arcanine uses Extremespeed, You double tap jump for Charizard and he'll start hovering in the air, use Flamethrower, obviously it'll do crap all damage.
    Arcanine is suddenly at a disadvantage, It uses Arial ace by building up momentum and launches into the sky knocking charizard to the ground.

Basically the camera is always third person but from behind Charizard (for you)
    I think it would work well like that, and all stats can work, I mean obviously high speed pokemon are gonna be annoying to kill since they just move so fast.

A good example of this kind of fighting is that Naruto Ninja storm game on PS3, but different camera angles.
    I think it would be epic to have people witness you online using venusaur to use vines to trap the enemy and then Solar Beam them (if your quick enough)

See this is something that I had imagined.
    A B X Y could be like set attacks or something!

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
  • Live-action would be awesome for a new spin-off series :D, and XRaikaX's idea seems plausible...! The game just needs to be different from the standard fighting game, and even the SSB series. But turn-based and live-action co-existing would be cool!! Turn-based battles can get really slow at times, but Pokemon is the one of the few turn-based games I've played, and you really get to relish recovering from tense situations as each turn passes, potentially making or breaking the battle for you. Lastly, live-action fits the anime closer (I know the games came first, though), and we'd finally have the cool ability to DODGE!! :D Hopefully, Nintendo tries it sometime in the future! :)

Also, I've been wondering about this type of idea for a long time! But one major flaw I see with live-action is that speed is absolutely essential, even more than it is now in DPPt. It would make fast Pokemon broken, involved in a brawl that only (and unfairly) caters to Pokemon with speed. Unless Nintendo found a way to boost Pokemon with things that would compensate for their slow speed...if they could do that, the idea could really work...

And about all those fainted Pokemon lying around, as someone said earlier, it wouldn't matter if the game was turn-based or live-action! If we're training for EVs or Exp., we end up KO'ing like 100 Wild Pokemon daily, anyway! XD

Last edited:

Yamikarasu

Wannabe Hasbeen
    Years
  • I think it would be cool for a spin-off game that would be like Super Smash Bros., but definitely not in the main series.

I don't think it would make speed worthless, but yeah it would not really matter if you had 100 speed and your opponent had 101. In SSBB there are fast and slow and in-between characters, so it could work like that. Although Pokemon would rely more on your skill with an analog stick then with the strategy we think of with Pokemon games today.

Years
    • Seen Aug 26, 2009
    It seems like a good idea, but I don't think it would be pokemon anymore if that happened. The moves like Double Team would be great yeah, but it's not really pokemon. Spin-of series would be ok, yeah.

Mitchman

Banned
    Years
  • Good question here
    How the hell would you figure it would work. You turn up in front of a pokemon and you summon your little beast and your actions are limited to moving with the touch screen and your pokemon through the D-pad and your attack command becomes split 4 ways into its different attacks? Sounds a bit too much of an over complicated kingdom hearts style system.

lolwut

Too cute for you
    Years
  • i would just say its a horrible idea for the main game series but yeah i agree with a couple posters already that yeah maybe as a spinoff but it wouldn't be as fun imo

Kamakazai

私は神の風午前!
    Years
  • I have to say that you don't have enough options. You need a maybe or I dont know button. Other that I would have to say that that would be a great idea, for a spin off series.

TundraCanine

Shizuku
    Years
  • That would just turn it into a fighting game like Tekken... Or even worse... Runescape... *shudders* Lets just stick to originals ok? O_o

Hes talking about where you could actually move around with the contoller, use different buttons to attack, and dodge.

I personally think it would be fun for console games, but not the Handheld ones.

Back