• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Would PBR have been better with an RPG mode?

Should PBR have had an RPG mode>

• Yes

Votes: 93 80.2%
  • No

Votes: 23 19.8%

• Total voters

Kraka-chan

From the Kraka Club
    Years
    I'm getting fed up of my games magazine that whinge about PBR not being a full 3D Pokemon RPG. They even whinge about the graphics and the fact that the Pokemon don't have fur shading, texturing and all that crap.

But I digress, do you think PBR would have been better with an RPG mode like Coloseum or XD?

(I'm sorry if this question was already asked.)

Kayke™

Banned
    Years
    If it had been a TRUE Pokemon RPG, then it would've been great. Not the Pokemon Colosseum/XD crap they tried to pull off. The day Nintendo manages to make a true 3D Pokemon RPG for a home console will be the day I wet myself upon hearing it.

Kittyipawd

Waiting to see red again
    Years
    • Seen Oct 27, 2013
    Pbr is awesome that is why im buying a wii cuuz i want to show my skiills and beat some nubers

Years
    Couldn't agree more. Anything could've been done to make this overrated piece of crap just a little bit better.

Its hardly overrated.

More like underrated.

Everyone is saying its a waste of time, there is no point and it is a rubbish game when it actually beats the crap out of alot of games.

sims796

We're A-Comin', Princess!
    Years
    Its hardly overrated.

More like underrated.

Everyone is saying its a waste of time, there is no point and it is a rubbish game when it actually beats the crap out of alot of games.

Out of what games? Its the same thing as D/P. The exact same thing, only less. Wow. 3D battles. Too cool. D/P has Wi-fi matches, without all the random crap of noobs using hacked Judgement Wondertombs. I know, WTF.

The thing that kills it for me are the graphics. Come on. Yes, there should be fur textured. There should be a tad bit more realism. They just got lazy this time around. When Grotlye opened his maw, is was basically square, as if he was a robot.

Did you see Diddy Kong's fuur on Brawl? How the fur on the Ice Climber's Parka's [coats] looked? You can appreciate every stitch on Waluigi's overalls. Link looks grity (in a good way) from battle. Plus, on those when the Gamecube's trophy turned into Wii fighters, they showed the improvement.

So why the hell does PBR look like crap? You are only lying to yourself when you say those graphics are good. Compare that with Brawl RE4, Twilight Princess, Galaxy. Then try to tell me that PBR looks good. I can no longer take your opinions seriously if you say its good. & its not the Wii's fault. No. Even with limited power, it still makes games beautiful, by making it crisp, & vibrant.

The reason they keep shelling half-arsed games like PBR is because pokemaniacs buy it no matter what. No, that's only half truthful. I'm a pokemaniac, & even I hate it. So only the one's who MUST buy every bit of new game would buy that. Like Naruto games. They keep shelling out more, sometimes, they don't even try, but they buy it. Only this time, they released it as a full fleged title at that price, when its only an expansion. Which is the problem. If gamers keep running to the store paying whatever price just because Pikachu's on the box, they will continute to shell out half baked-no, half done-games. Consumers should demand better made games, by not buying those cheap knockoffs.

And omahcaw, you've given me no choice but to put that post of yours in my sig. Too true.

I realized I never answered the question! Why should they waste time putting in an RPG? That's what Diamond/Pearl is for.

Urser

Fakemon Designer!
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2007
    When the whole point of PBR is to show Pokemon battling in 3D, they should have put more effort into the Pokemon when they were being modelled. I know there's a lot of Pokemon, but they should still take their time to make the Pokemon look as good as they can.

If PBR was an RPG then yes, I would understand them using these types of models I guess. I mean, PBR was supposed to be eye candy. An RPG would be more about the gameplay.

So yeah, an RPG mode would have improved it A LOT!

scorpyo

Is afraid of the Unown
    Years
    I'm sure that the reason why PBR doesn't have a RPG mode is because of what it is. An expansion to D/P. I'm going to get it for X-Mas probably and even though I know that a lot of people say it sucks, being able to randomly battle even with the huge amount of noobs on it sounds like fun.

About the graphics, does D/P or any of the other pokemon games have fur on any of the pokemon? Yeah I know that PBR is really only there to show off your shiny new pokemon in 3-D, but would we really appreciate having your special volt-tackle pikachu being a big yellow fluff ball that shoots lightning out of its overly fluffy tail? I'm sure that there's a reason why Nintendo didn't put fur in. Its just not the Pokemon style. Either that or they wanted to get the expansion for D/P out while the hype about D/P is still buzzing around.
    EDIT:
    Now about SSBB and how detailed it is compared to PBR, pikachu still doesn't have fur in it either.

Last edited:
    Years
    So why the hell does PBR look like crap? You are only lying to yourself when you say those graphics are good. Compare that with Brawl RE4, Twilight Princess, Galaxy. Then try to tell me that PBR looks good. I can no longer take your opinions seriously if you say its good. & its not the Wii's fault. No. Even with limited power, it still makes games beautiful, by making it crisp, & vibrant.
    What makes PBR even worse is that they are GAMECUBE titles, not Wii.
    PBR is ok at best for what it is.

It's ok to look at, very ugly for this day and age, but the lighting makes up for it a bit, still easy to tell it's very N64-y, even the remade and new ones are 64-y.

The controls are ok, I guess, in comparason to XD/COLO and Stadium, which had the best controls. This one's is down right confusing for people who are not used to it.

The announcer lacks the pizzaz of the stadium one. Quite frankly, it's the lines. Where is "Oh!, Taken down with one hit!", "What's the matter, trainer?" and "It's a revolving door of PokeMon!"?

The multiplayer value sucks. It's got next to nil rentals, so people who don't play the DS games are screwed/like parents and DSless friends due to money constraints/. Lacks mini games, that I understand, but still, something should make up for the lack of many rentals.

PBR should have been done two ways:

Cut the bull ****, the one player, improve the graphics and call it what it is, Pokemon 3D Online.

or

Improve the Multiplayer Value by making it more Stadium like.

Nintendo, note to the wise, stop using Genius Senority, take a while to redo every pokemon, and make Stadium 3 properly.

spike6958

TCG Collector
    Years
    • Age 35
    • UK
    • Seen Apr 30, 2021
    I don't think PBR itself needs an RPG mode, it does what it says on the box (minus the Revolution bit) it offers pokemon battles and the game can be quite fun at times, but should not cost anywhere near the amount it does.
    What Nintendo need to start doing is LISTENING to what people want, a Pokemon MMORPG i would be happy with the same graphics PBR uses (i mean WoW's graphics aren't much different and it's the most popular game in the world) and even the exact same battle system if they could make an MMO using all the regions from the games and anime, now thats a game i would gladly pay full price for.

sims796

Years
    I don't think PBR itself needs an RPG mode, it does what it says on the box (minus the Revolution bit) it offers pokemon battles and the game can be quite fun at times, but should not cost anywhere near the amount it does.
    What Nintendo need to start doing is LISTENING to what people want, a Pokemon MMORPG i would be happy with the same graphics PBR uses (i mean WoW's graphics aren't much different and it's the most popular game in the world) and even the exact same battle system if they could make an MMO using all the regions from the games and anime, now thats a game i would gladly pay full price for.

WoW is an internet game. It's to e expected to have shaby graphics. The Wii is an advanced system. It doesn't have the luxury of running with pathetic graphics.

Years
    WoW is an internet game. It's to e expected to have shaby graphics. The Wii is an advanced system. It doesn't have the luxury of running with pathetic graphics.

PBR is a MMORPG in a way, more than it is a console game. It does have shoddy graphics in comparason to NGC titles that are not pokemon. The Wii is not advanced, from a techspec view, a computer, a 360 and a PS3 laugh at it.

spike6958

TCG Collector
    Years
    • Age 35
    • UK
    • Seen Apr 30, 2021

Well the Wii IS just a GC with motion censors built in anyway it's not so "advanced", but to be honest im not a fan of graphics these days, because MOST games spend sooo much time trying to perfect them and then release a game thats nice to look at but is extremly boring to play (e.g. Assissins Creed). Nintendo NEED TO STOP using Genius Sonority and just have Nintendo & GameFreak work on them like with the handheld titles and make a 3D Pokemon game worth playing.

sims796

Years
    Well the Wii IS just a GC with motion censors built in anyway it's not so "advanced", but to be honest im not a fan of graphics these days, because MOST games spend sooo much time trying to perfect them and then release a game thats nice to look at but is extremly boring to play (e.g. Assissins Creed). Nintendo NEED TO STOP using Genius Sonority and just have Nintendo & GameFreak work on them like with the handheld titles and make a 3D Pokemon game worth playing.

Actually, it is more advance, I mean that literally. It has more power.

That is a problem. Graphics alone doesn't make a game, but having it SO poor like PBR is unacceptable. I find graphics very important, as its the overall presentation. It catches my attention.

Years
    • Seen Feb 16, 2020
    I find the fact that people are comparing a game like PBR to a game like WoW incredibly disgusting and retarded.

spike6958

TCG Collector
    Years
    • Age 35
    • UK
    • Seen Apr 30, 2021
    problem is that developers focus on one or the other and either way the games faile but i would rather have a fun game with not so great graphics, than a game with outstanding graphics but gets boring within an hour, problem with PBR is they just took the bad from each problem, and look at the pokemon in SSBB they look outstanding.

EmpoleMew

Lunatic Lunar Rabbit
    Years
    Couldn't agree more. Anything could've been done to make this overrated piece of crap just a little bit better.

Best. Post. Ever.

Basically, this is what PBR is to me. Its a game that has nearly identical graphics to the GC titles. It has a name that attracts interest but the game itself is a worthless piece of I don't even know what and a waste of the materials(sp?) to make each disc. It was a waste of time to make. Nintendo and Game Freak keep screwing themselves over when they make games with Genius. And the announcer sounds like he's some guy with nothing better to do in his life.

"It went down!"
    "It couldn't survive the second hit!"
    "Pokemon restored its health!"
    "Pokemon is STILL gaining health!"
    "BAM!"

Bam? When exactly did Bamm-Bamm from The Flintstones become the announcer? And if you don't have a DS and D/P, the game sucks harder than ever. If I wanted to go through endless battles using rental Pokemon, I'd play my Emerald and go to the Battle Factory. The only thing that is good about PBR is the fact that you can battle random people on Wi-Fi instead of typing in Friend Codes all the time. And then what? Some stupid n00b goes and ruins it with hacked Pokemon like Wondertomb and Arceus. Or even worse, the Six-Man Uber Squad. Then they think they're so strong. Then when you meet them on forums and tell them that using ubers is cheap, they want to cry and throw a tantrum and start flame wars. In the end, they either disregard the comments and go on being a n00b or kill themselves.

In a nutshell: PBR could burn in the hottest incinerator and it still wouldn't be enough to destroy this horrible monstrosity. Its games like these that give Pokemon a bad name.

End Rant.

Back