• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Would PBR have been better with an RPG mode?

Should PBR have had an RPG mode>

• Yes

Votes: 93 80.2%
  • No

Votes: 23 19.8%

• Total voters

SBaby

Dungeon Master
    Years
    • Seen Apr 9, 2015
    "That is it! I have had enough of your antics! I am buying you PBR!!"

"NO DAD NOOO!"

No, it's not THAT bad. If you just HAVE to have a Pokemon game to play on the Wii, then this is really your only option as of yet. It's like I said, the game isn't ALL bad (let's put it this way, it's no Deadly Towers, or -insert worst game ever in your opinion here-). In other words, there are plenty of games that are worse than this one.

I think its perfect the way it is. It's one of thoughs game when you just kick back and relax with a nice battle thats all...

But you have to look at it from a gamer's perspective. If you ask me, it just seems like they really shafted that general audience with this one. The thing is, they could've put so much more in it than they did (while still retaining the things that are already present in the game, lord knows they have enough disc space to do so), brought Pokemon more into the mainstream, and they just didn't. It's like they didn't care or something. They just said, 'Alright we've got a bunch of battles and gimmicks. Here's our game.'. It just seems like Nintendo could've put more effort into this one. I mean, they did with Zelda and Mario.

Last edited:

spike6958

TCG Collector
    Years
    • Age 35
    • UK
    • Seen Apr 30, 2021
    this makes me laugh about what people say about the graphics been acceptable(even though im usually not someone who cares about graphics)

If they can make Pokemon look like this for a None Pokemon game then the SHOULD make them look like that for Pokemon games

sims796

We're A-Comin', Princess!
    Years
    this makes me laugh about what people say about the graphics been acceptable(even though im usually not someone who cares about graphics)

If they can make Pokemon look like this for a None Pokemon game then the SHOULD make them look like that for Pokemon games

You see? This is what I mean. If it can otain THAT quality graphics, why not PBR?

El Gofre

I'm Back.
    Years
    • Age 92
    • Seen Mar 23, 2023
    In my opinion, PBR exemplifies the nature of the wii: Simple, easy, fun. Everyone complaining about the graphics is forgetting about the months they have been spending on a 3 inch screen. Everyone complaining about the lack of RPG mode is forgetting that the console is barely bigger than a game case; there's only so much it could process.

If you want an RPG, stick to DP or buy an actual RPG, rather complaining about a perfectly good game.

Years
    • Seen Oct 21, 2009
    RPG Mode would be boring since the battles are too slow. The game has improved a lot (Pokemon touch opponent as they attack for instance), but the graphics are still bad. To me, textures is very important (that's why I think Zelda Ocarina of Time looks better than Zelda Windwaker), and Pokemon lacks a lot of texture. If they want it to look cartoon why not use cellshading, then it looks 2D, but still is 3D and texture is not as important.

Years
    • Seen Feb 16, 2020
    RPG Mode would be boring since the battles are too slow. The game has improved a lot (Pokemon touch opponent as they attack for instance), but the graphics are still bad. To me, textures is very important (that's why I think Zelda Ocarina of Time looks better than Zelda Windwaker), and Pokemon lacks a lot of texture. If they want it to look cartoon why not use cellshading, then it looks 2D, but still is 3D and texture is not as important.

You're comparing a game that intends to be realistic to a cel-shaded game. Sorry but that's just stupid. Since when are cel-shaded games supposed to have textures? Seriously.

sims796

Years
    You're comparing a game that intends to be realistic to a cel-shaded game. Sorry but that's just stupid. Since when are cel-shaded games supposed to have textures? Seriously.

He never compared it. He just stated that he likes Ocarina more because it has textures. We know cel shading has no textures, so that's why he liked Ocarina over Wind Waker.

Cel shading pokemon. That seems interesting.

But the RPG mode only stands for the handheld versions. It packs enough action for a handheld, short burst that I can enjoy whenever I please.

SBaby

Dungeon Master
    Years
    • Seen Apr 9, 2015
    In my opinion, PBR exemplifies the nature of the wii: Simple, easy, fun. Everyone complaining about the graphics is forgetting about the months they have been spending on a 3 inch screen. Everyone complaining about the lack of RPG mode is forgetting that the console is barely bigger than a game case; there's only so much it could process.

If you want an RPG, stick to DP or buy an actual RPG, rather complaining about a perfectly good game.

The simple fact is that Pokemon in general is supposed to be an RPG series (aka, that's how it was marketed), so that's a moot point.

And I'm sorry, but the Wii is WAY more capable than you're giving it credit for. If the PS2 could support a game that takes roughly 70 hours to complete with the same graphics capability as Battle Revolution, massively huge near-Oblivion caliber maps, and the disc size is half what the Wii disc sizes are, then they could easily have put a 40 to 50 hour RPG in PBR.

And you're right. I don't complain about graphics, because I don't consider them to be the most important aspect of a game. I even still go back to the old Might & Magic games from time to time.

the battles are too slow.

I will agree with you that the battles are too slow. And the thing is, this is a problem that ALL games of this genre seem to face. Battles are way too slow. It happened with Pokemon, it happened with Jade Cocoon, and it even happened with Digimon. Now, I don't claim to have played every game in existence, but I have yet to see a monster-based RPG actually have faster battles. So I do agree with you on that, and I can't believe I forgot to mention that when I reviewed the game way back in the day.

However, an RPG mode wouldn't have really hurt the game due to this. Because it wouldn't be any different from the mechanics of Colosseum or XD (battling Trainers and possibly random battles).

sims796

Years
    The thing I must agree on is this-it was capable of SO much more. This is only eye candy. Despite the fact that it has spent most of it's life in 2D, the Wii is capable of making so much more, which is why I'm so mad. The PBR only offers 3d battles, so they should look good. Exclusive content like a cheap Pikachu or Viremotar just doesn't cut it. Online matches isn't good enough, since I must cross my fingers to hope I don't get the dreaded "Wondertomb". Besides, the DS has wifi, making that somewhat moot.

I mean, watching Apiom run to the enemy for Scratch with the same expressionless face while running like the Tinman just doesn't cut it for me.

As for RPG, I disagree, to a small point. Well, the thing is, the reason I like Pokempn on the handheld is because it is given in a short burst. I'll do anything not to "Snag" pokemon.

EvilCrazyMonkey

D/P Hacker-in-Training
    Years
    • Seen Mar 6, 2012
    It stands great as a whole, but journeying back to Orre (or a new region) would definitely be awesome. I like storylines, but that's just me.

Years
    • Seen Oct 21, 2009
    When I was talking about Zelda OoT and cellshading I meant that Pokemon should be like OoT, but if they don't want the game to be too realistic they can use cell shading. So, I didn't mean that OoT had anything to do with cell shading.

I will agree with you that the battles are too slow. And the thing is, this is a problem that ALL games of this genre seem to face. Battles are way too slow. It happened with Pokemon, it happened with Jade Cocoon, and it even happened with Digimon. Now, I don't claim to have played every game in existence, but I have yet to see a monster-based RPG actually have faster battles. So I do agree with you on that, and I can't believe I forgot to mention that when I reviewed the game way back in the day.

However, an RPG mode wouldn't have really hurt the game due to this. Because it wouldn't be any different from the mechanics of Colosseum or XD (battling Trainers and possibly random battles).

My friend played FF6 and I played Pokemon. We tested how much time the battles took, and Final Fantasy was just half the time of the Pokemon battle. So RPGs don't have to have slow battles. Pokemon has it because of the long battle intros (doing a quick one hit KO, will reveal that the intro is taking half the time of the battle). And PM Colloseum is slow because the Pokemon does not attack emmidiatly when given command (the just stand there for 2 seconds) and the attack animation is somewhat slow as well. Pokemon battles could be much faster.

Uryū Ishida

Hishoku no Sora
    Years
    • Seen May 30, 2009
    I do think PBR would of been better as a FULL-3D RPG, hence full-3d, but colluseum and XD, didnt pull it off, but yeah its fine as it is.

Jack_Maddocks

Event Collector
    Years
    I think yes it need an RPG mode but no as well.

The point of PBR was to introduce a Pokemon game to the Nintendo Wii and was layind the red carpet for the great games that will be relesed in the not too far distant future. And if PBR had an RPG mode whats the piont of having PBR? You would have to change the name of it completely.

But yes I also think it needed a different variety instead of just plain battling. great at first but gets very boring after not that long.

Twar3Draconis

Super Asian
    Years
    No. Honestly, I view PBR as an extension for Diamond/Pearl. Especially with the mystery gift Pokemon and items. Without a DS and Diamond/Pearl, it's really a pointless game.

Years
    • Seen Apr 2, 2008
    PBR as I see it is more of a supplement to the D/P games than a game on it's own since there is no rpg element like in previous ones. It should have cost $20 instead of $50 imo.

Back