• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

would player outfit using variables work?

Years
    • Seen Apr 5, 2016
    I'm currently in the middle of making an unusual game using the essentials kit I was wondering how viable the ability to use variables would be. IE I would like to use a system that brings up a drop down that lists off certain pants, shirts, and hats the player has unlocked playing the game. I would also like to use variables (in this instance i will say X Y and Z) so that hats equal variable X which will be in the ones digit, shirts which will be the Y variable and 10s digit, and pants/skirts which will be the Z variable, then add them up to a new variable to be read by the player.outfit during gameplay? So as the title says would this actually work?

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
    Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    That's perfectly viable. The form number would be X + Y*10 + Z*100. Just come up with a way for the player to choose their clothes and set the outfit variable accordingly.

Years
    • Seen Apr 5, 2016
    That's perfectly viable. The form number would be X + Y*10 + Z*100. Just come up with a way for the player to choose their clothes and set the outfit variable accordingly.
    Actually a second question pertaining to that particular system is there an upward limit of the numbers RMXP can use? it might sound strange but I may end up adding more than 10 varieties of each type of clothing but x + y*100 + z*10000 seems a little overkill to me.

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
    Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    Could do. Or X + Y*20 + Z * 400. Or some more clever bitwise thing.

Given all the renaming of graphics you'd have to do if you want to increase the limit, it's better to choose and stick to an absolute maximum straight away. Even if that limit happens to be much higher than what you end up using, e.g. 100 options each as you suggested.

Back