• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Would you keep Pikachu in Pokemon Yellow just so you can talk to it?

Spikey-Eared Pichu

Pichu-pi!
Years
  • Um, PkMn Yellow expert here and you can't evolve your Pika unless it's traded to another game. Anyways, I always keep him on my team. Yellow's Pikachu is actually above average to all other Pikachu found in the wild of the Metal/Color games.

mal'akh

Hate this place. Gone for good
    Years
    • Seen Jun 21, 2011
    I hate Pikachu. I despise Pikachu. I wish it wasn't the mascot for the ENTIRE franchise. But, I loved it in Yellow. Just something about it made me fall for it. I never use it in any other game, other than this one.

Apostrophe

Everybody do the search dance!
    Years
    • Seen Nov 10, 2010
    That was pretty much the point of yellow version. Without the Pikachu, you might as well get Red/Blue version because at least the Gym Leaders aren't nerfed.

BHwolfgang

kamikorosu
    Years
  • I haven't played Pokemon Yellow in forever! However, I still remember that my Pikachu hasn't evolved yet. Even if I had the option to evolve my Pikachu, I wouldn't. I think it's a nice option to have your Pikachu walking with you throughout your journey. It's because of this that makes me prefer Pokemon Yellow more than Red and Blue.

Besides, if I really need a strong Pokemon to face the Elite Four, then I could always use the other three Starter Pokemons. Pikachu seems to be the mascot in my team than the powerhouse. It doesn't matter if he's not, because I would never evolve him. He's staying small and cute until the internal battery dies.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • Pikachu is fail. As soon as I could catch an alternate Electric-type (Voltorb, in my case) I dumped it off in the PC box, never to see the light off day again. And I don't recall playing Yellow but once, and we only bought it because my brother was interested in getting it, lol

Elfangor

Alien
    Years
  • I thought it was a nice little novelty at the time! Not sure how I would feel about it now...I do miss the ability to get the rest of the starters in one game though.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Now you can talk to Pokemon in HG, there isn't really a need, however! I never used to talk to my Pikachu, so trading across didn't really matter to me, lol (even though I don't think I ever did).

Gundisalvus Kuno

Solving Problems Since 1999
    Years
  • I didn't keep it so I could talk to it, just so it felt like I was actually Ash playing this game. I liked to do that as a kid, as it made the game more fun, but it never really made a difference to me if I could talk to it or not.

Geranyl

Resident Pikachu
    Years
    • Seen Nov 25, 2011
    is very cool to have pikachu foaling us, when HGSS i dont have the same interest that i have on Yellow

Indeed. HGSS just seems a tad... soulless (excuse the pun) with the Pokemon following you system, since the Pokemon doesn't really do anything else but display the same emote over and over again...

At least in Yellow, Pikachu can danceeee!

Of course, I'm biased...

Shadow Ball

I <3 ghosties the mosties! :P
    Years
    • Age 33
    • USA
    • Seen Jul 18, 2016
    I always kept Pikachu till the end... I mean, that was pretty much the biggest point of Yellow version, right? Besides, I don't like any electric types anyway (besides mareep and it's evo's, but that came later) so Pikachu did just fine with me, and it was actually pretty tough for being just... well, a Pikachu. They pumped up his stats a bit I suppose, since he wouldn't be evolving for you.

Binary

え?
    Years
    • Seen Apr 7, 2014
    Well I did keep my Pikachu until the very end when I played 'Pokemon Yellow: Pikachu Edition' several times as a kid. I mean, it felt pretty good and gave the feeling of contentment to my young heart. And that's pretty much the main theme of the game.

matt steel

some randomer...
    Years
  • i used to love pikachu and let him follow me round...however nowadays i wouldnt let the little rat follow me...people would think im plagued by odd coloured rats following me

Years
  • More often than not, I deposited Pikachu, so it would stop following me because it got annoying after a while. And then I wondered why I never could get Bulbasaur.

♠Dawn Rayne♠

Best in the world at what I do
    Years
    • Age 33
    • PA
    • Seen May 6, 2012
    I loved Pikachu's expressions, ecspecially when he saw Bill transform lol. I remember I always wanted to get a gameshark so that I could make my guy invisible so Pikachu would be all that appeared lol.

But I never did :(

Back