• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen WTF moment thread

Years
    Haha had a couple of those, especially since I got Blue version at about 8 years old. My brother 'borrowed' my games and took it to a friend's house, where the friend and he tried to do the Missingno item glitch without really understanding what was going on (they were only about 5 years old). When he brought the game back I was like 'how on earth did I get [triangle shape]-9 TM 12s????? That many Water Gun TMs would be SOO useful.

Another time was when my friend wanted to evolve his Kadabra, so we decided to trade - a lowly lvl 3 Rattata for his level 42 Kadabra. Halfway through the trade the gameboy got knocked out of his hand and the link cable came out. I turned mine back on and then we found that I had a lvl 42 Alakazam, and my friend still had his Kadabra! The wonders of cloning - I remember my 7 Mews and 3 Mewtwos.... Which were promptly lost when the battery on my Silver cartridge ran out, also losing my 248-pokemon filled pokedex (missing Celebi, Espeon and Politoed). And lots of level 100 pokemon as well...

Years
    Actually, I just remembered another moment where I was just FML - this is stupid: you know that Jr trainer at the end of Rock tunnel in RBY? She has an Oddish, something else and a Pidgey. That bloody bird vs my lvl 40 Charizard: i wanted to know what the move 'Rage' was like, i'd never used it before, so I went ahead and selected it. First time it got the Pidgey down to about 20% health left. The Pidgey used sand Attack. Next turn, Rage misses and the Pidgey uses Sand attack Again. This goes on until my accuracy is -6, adn then my charizard with >100HP proceeds to go down from Quick Attacks and Gusts. WTF

EDIT: One more that I just remembered, so bear with me.
    I had gone through and absolutely destroyed every trainer on my Silver version, so I decided to start catching all the pokemon. I went through the Whirl Islands and everything, getting lost several times because I didn't have flash, and finally made my way over to Lugia. There, I saved in front of him, stocked full of pokeballs of every type (including all Kurt's types, this was after ~150 hours of playtime), and proceeded to try and catch him.

I spent 2 days playing (intermittently, we were on holiday and quite busy) and failing to catch the Lugia every single time. And I'll never forget when my 6 year old brother took my game whilst I was in the toilet, with one Ice Punch from my Feraligator managed to freeze the Lugia and get it down to a sliver of health, and then catch it with 2 pokeballs. Then he came and told me that the 'big bird was sick', and you know why - IT WAS A SHINY!!!!

I have only ever had 2 shinies in all the games I've played, and my brother has been the one to catch both of them.

Last edited:
    Back