• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen WTF moment

Years
  • I was playing Sapphire. I was battling Wattson and his Voltorb used Selfdestruct on my Vigoroth, who was at half health. It lived with one HP.

Khall

Permafrost
    Years
  • I'm pretty sure this was because of the berry glitch in R/S but a long time ago when the games were still new, the Team Magma/Aqua leaders both appeared as different overworld sprites. Maxie's overworld sprite was a female Cooltrainer and Archie's overworld sprite was a Wynaut doll. Both times were during the event where they hi-jack the submarine in Slateport, or whatever. o.o

psyanic

pop a wheelie on a zeitgeist
    Years
    • Age 27
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 10, 2023
    Found a shiny Voltorb on Ruby under New Mauville, which I accidently killed ;_;

=(^.^)=

Rawrr♥ PC's Snugglemonster
    Years
  • I has a shiny WTF moment :D

Prof. Birch: Why don't you go meet my kid, May?
    Me: *goes to meet May*
    *walks through grass*
    *battle starts*
    *first wild pokemon I've encountered in the game appears*
    *it is a...shiny poochyena*

WTF Emerald, I don't have pokeballs yet T_T

U.Flame

Maker of Short Games
    Years
  • The entire plot makes me wonder "WTF"? Team Magma and Aqua really need to think their ideas through. Seriously.

Years
  • I think the WTF moment that stands out the most for me was when I was battling Mewtwo on FireRed. The first turn, I went to my bag and was planning on using the Master Ball. By accident, I chose Poke Ball and threw it at Mewtwo. One shake, two shakes, three shakes... Gotcha! Mewtwo was caught!

I was so disgusted at that Mewtwo for being caught so easily that I actually released it once I got to the Pokemon Center (I had another one from a previous game on my Sapphire, so I didn't really care either way).

dash!

Epic
    Years
  • Walking through Veridion Forest to train up my team because Brock kept sweeping the floor with them, and I run into a gold Caterpie. O_O
    So I proceed to tackle it, its a critical hit, and the little worm faints. :(

Also, ran into a black Rayquaza after one of the 84932658106783 times I had restarted the Gameboy after failing to catch him. Though of course I failed that time too. *Le sigh.*

Shiny Pokemon aside, there was this time I was playing Firered and I was trying to catch Mewtwo. So my cousin is staying over, and asks to play. I say sure, want to do a favor and catch Mewtwo for me? It had been taking me forever after all and I was getting fed up. I gave him an explicit set of instructions: "DO NOT USE THE MASTER BALL. I need it to catch the Suicune that will run away from me and be EVEN MORE of a pain in my ass to catch. If I could have used the Master Ball here, I wouldn't be asking him to do it in the first place." I figure he's about ten years old, he'll understand the situation, he plays Pokemon too after all he just doesn't own FR or LG.

I was wrong, however. *facepalm.*

Last edited:

miju-kun

soaring
    Years
    • Seen May 28, 2014
    So I was battling and sent out my Skitty. Skitty used Assist and it used Steel Wing. Then in my FR (it was an emulator), my Mewtwo learned Metronome from Cinnabar dude and I used Mewtwo against a trainer and it used Metronome then Transformed O_o

qw13

Please do not read this text.
    Years
  • I completed 9 Pokemon games and played about 80 Pokemon games but i only have seen one shiny. A shiny Spinarak on my SoulSilver. I had Lvl 64 Typhloison so i would just use one Pokeball and it is done. I opened bag's Pokeball pocket and ....

NO POKEBALLS!!!!!!!!!
    That was my WTF moment.

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~

Buffalo State College
    Years
  • My WTF moment was when I went to capture Articuno in Pokemon LeafGreen. For starters, it took me forever to find the stupid blue bird (like an hour) and when I reach the bird, I was fully prepared with a lot of Ultra Balls. I used 50 Ultra Balls and Articuno was not captured and when I threw a Pokeball, it got captured easily.

:t354:TG

PelipperMail

Banned
    Years
  • This WTF moment happened a few seconds ago, literally. Please excuse the incorrect dialogue:

Tentacool used wrap.

Vibrava was caught in tentacool's wrap
    Vibrava used fly!
    Tentacool used constrict (it missed)
    Vibrava is hurt by wrap

I was confused; Tentacool couldn't have been attached to Vibrava because it's sprite was still in the water. If this was a spiriting error, apologies. Nonetheless, I believe this is my WTF moment

Last edited:

sherreamethyst

Dragonite's Momma
    Years
  • Ok, so I have shiny wtf moment.

I ran into a shiny miltank in crystal. My pokemon was a lower level and i used a move like cut. Turns out it was a critical hit and Miltank fainted. Boo you miltank.

I never wanted a miltank anyways, but I was still upset.

LeafeonxxEeveexxEspeon

Eevee Trainer
    Years
  • In Sapphire, I was fighting Kyogre. SHINY Kyogre. I kept throwing all these Pokeballs at it... until
    "Don't be a thief!" Popped up. It started saying that for every ball I threw, until of course I was out. WTF?! Freakin' glitchy game...
    Another time, I happened across a shiny Zigzagoon. I was on a Zigzagoon killing spree at the time, trying to evolve my Torchic before the first Gym Leader, and as soon as I hit 'Attack' and 'Ember', I realized it was shiny... FAIL.

FrostPheonix

Eternity.
    Years
  • I was playing Saphire, up against Kyogre. All my pokes were beaten, with only combusken left. And then it also had red life, Kyogre still had mid green. Desperate, I throw a pokeball. I never expected it to hold.
    -Shake-
    -Shake-
    -Shake-
    *Catch!*

I danced a jig.

Also, on firered a shiny Nidorina came up at the safari zone. It declined my food and ran away before I even threw one pokeball...

Years
  • Traded my Haryiama lvl. 64 from emerald for a random egg to my friend's Fire Red... The egg hatched, it was a CHARMANDER! And it knows Ancientpower! I was like HELL YEAH!

Sara Yamamoto

Adult Dragon Master
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Oct 19, 2015
    I was playing Emerald at the dinner table years ago and i went to catch a pokemon that i needed and the screen turned red. I was trying to catch a Latios i think. It made me so mad!

KoolKat vs. Lucas

KoolKat Gold
    Years
    • Seen Nov 30, 2013
    I was walking around in FR, almost out of the Mt Moon, when suddenly, I exited the cave and was playing as Brendan. I just minded my own business, but , lo, it said, "KoolKat received a MEW from PROF BIRCH!"
    I literally committed ROFL.

Back