• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen WTFalkner

Years
  • And now that I'm thinking about it... if these were his dad's Pokemon, and he took over for his dad... why are they only at Level 9 and 13? It would seem to me that he should be a gym to be fought much later on with Pokemon in the 40's+. Does anyone else see where I'm coming from?

Years
    • Seen Oct 24, 2014
    Title Win. Falkner Fail. You're right, he should've had better pokemon even if he has to take it easy on the newbs. The developers of this game were way too lazy about this kind of stuff.

shengar

♥ Mikan Enthusiast ♥
    Years
    • Seen Jun 25, 2013
    Try to defeat him with Chikorita or Bayleef alone, then all of you can talk like that.

Xyrin

WOW REMEMBER THIS??
    Years
  • BTW who is his father? That'll help me understand this much more.

Years
  • Title Win. Falkner Win.

God, what is it with the early-game-character-bashing?

First Elm, now Falkner...

If you think Falkner is too easy, get a lv.10 Chikorita, get your friend to battle you with a lv.14 Skarmory.

Now think he should have one? Didn't think so.

He's weak because it's not fair otherwise.

Although...Natu would have been nice, but am I right in thinking the first time we see Xatu is in Will's team at Indigo Plateau.

Farfetch'd would work, cept for the fact that Azalea and Ilex Forest are centred around Farefetch'd and Slowpoke.

Hoothoot are already common, and I suppose it'd also be nice for people who had R/B/Y when starting off in a new generation?

If you look, all the gym leaders have a Gen I pokemon to lead, at least:

Falkner - Pidgey
    Bugsy - Scyther, and I guess in Gen II it was Metapod/Kakuna?
    Whitney - Clefairy
    Morty - Gastly
    Chuck - Primeape
    Jasmine - Magnemite
    Pryce - Seel
    Clair - Gyarados? or maybe Dragonair.

Bruno™

Elite Four Member
    Years
  • Say what you want about his suck team , but I wish I could have a early-evolved Pokemon like he does D:< [/Jealousy]

SgtPatches

i has a beard
    Years
  • Title Win. Falkner Win.

If you think Falkner is too easy, get a lv.10 Chikorita, get your friend to battle you with a lv.14 Skarmory.

Although...Natu would have been nice, but am I right in thinking the first time we see Xatu is in Will's team at Indigo Plateau.

Farfetch'd would work, cept for the fact that Azalea and Ilex Forest are centred around Farefetch'd and Slowpoke.

Hoothoot are already common, and I suppose it'd also be nice for people who had R/B/Y when starting off in a new generation?

Falkner - Pidgey
    Whitney - Clefairy
    Morty - Gastly
    Chuck - Primeape
    Jasmine - Magnemite
    Pryce - Seel

You have a point about Chikorita as a starter, but my rebuttal is that you can have an Onix through a trade and since HG/SS have an updated Route 32 that allows you to capture Mareep in the far north patch of grass before facing Falkner, instead of having to wait to finish fighting Falkner before you can reach a grassy area on the route. Also, the ability to catch Geodude on the southern section of Route 46 early on in the game makes beating Falkner extremely easy no matter which starter you choose. Having a little more variety on the team would just make an easy battle a lot more fun.

Also, you're right about the Johto gym leaders. Only four of them use GenII Pokemon on the first battle, and they are Whitney, Jasmine, Pryce, and Clair.
    I already gave my spiel about Falkner, but Bugsy is an even more odd moment in the games, having only one legitimate Pokemon to battle with, his Scyther, and then using Metapod and Kakuna. Why not use a Heracross or a Pinsir? Whitney at least breaks that mold and uses a really good Miltank. Meanwhile, Morty for some reason does not use the one ghost-type introduced in GenII, Misdreavus, and Chuck doesn't use the one pure fighting-type introduced in GenII, Hitmontop.

The Gym Leader construction in G/S and their remakes is baffling to me.

Years
  • Agreed, it IS baffling.

Chuck's pokemon are good, but I wish they'd atleast put Hitmontop with one of his trainers...

...although I suppose the Karate King is meant to reveal it by giving you Tyrogue, isn't he?

Years
    • Seen Jan 23, 2013
    I think they made the first gym easy on purpose, so the n00bs could get some confidence.

Agent Clank

Bye PC
    Years
    • Seen Jan 11, 2011
    So what,this guy likes the Pidgey family!
    Its ok if he was Easy he was The first gym leader,there always supposed to be easy to beat.

MetryoV

Ultimate Challenger
    Years
    • Seen Jul 28, 2010
    Falkner was a waste of a time with his Pidgey family.

shengar

♥ Mikan Enthusiast ♥
    Years
    • Seen Jun 25, 2013
    Title Win. Falkner Win.

Falkner - Pidgey
    Whitney - Clefairy
    Morty - Gastly
    Chuck - Primeape
    Jasmine - Magnemite
    Pryce - Seel

If Gamefreak gives Falkner a lvl. 14 Skarmory and Lvl. 15 Fearow, thread title will change to "OMG Falkner"

RYOUKI

survive the world.
    Years
  • 'First gyms are supposed to be easy' What about Roxanne!? I had trouble beating her Nosepass...

Anyways, yeah, that pretty much baffled me as most Johto gymleaders have atleast a Gen 2 Pokemon, if they want to make it easy they should have given him a Hoothoot. Hm, oh well, guess GF focused more on the gym graphics rather than the pokemon he had.

EJ

everything is purple
    Years
    • FL
    • Seen Mar 19, 2022
    Man if we're gonna complain about gym leaders being underleveled then how about Pryce? He's supposed to be a veteran trainer yet his pokemon were
    lower levels than mine and I've only been training for a few days.

That's just it. There is no point to it. We can infer that Falkner himself is a beginner because he's using his father's pokemon. We can't search for that kind of logic in these games. It's impossible to make sense out of it.

Love the title, btw ^_^

Back