• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

X and Y Theme song Suck

Status
Not open for further replies.
    Years
    • Seen Apr 16, 2014
    The pokemon season 16 Theme song suck. This is worst mistake pokemon had done. The pokemon had also brought some meg that was good idea but the song really suck. It would be better if Smosh make some good song of pokemon theme and sell to pokemon so pokemon have brains.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
    I think you mean 17, season 16 is the final BW season. And I disagree with you, I think that season 17's theme is not only smart but well done as well. This season's theme, as well as the theme of XY as a game as well, seems to be appealing to old fans while still introducing new ideas (what with the return of the "Gotta Catch 'em All" motto and...well, the theme song). It worked for me, I grew up with the show and have found this campaign to be really entertaining. I haven't actively gone out of my way to watch the show since...Master Quest, maybe? The fact that they were able to pull me in with what is simply a dub effort is pretty amazing, and I'm actually enjoying the season regardless.

It's them trying to say, "We know you grew up, but we're still here, and we're evolving!", and even if it's a simple campaign for finances, I think it's a pretty thoughtful on their part.

BrandoSheriff

Has a tendency to figure things out
    Years
    I think you mean 17, season 16 is the final BW season. And I disagree with you, I think that season 17's theme is not only smart but well done as well. This season's theme, as well as the theme of XY as a game as well, seems to be appealing to old fans while still introducing new ideas (what with the return of the "Gotta Catch 'em All" motto and...well, the theme song). It worked for me, I grew up with the show and have found this campaign to be really entertaining. I haven't actively gone out of my way to watch the show since...Master Quest, maybe? The fact that they were able to pull me in with what is simply a dub effort is pretty amazing, and I'm actually enjoying the season regardless.

It's them trying to say, "We know you grew up, but we're still here, and we're evolving!", and even if it's a simple campaign for finances, I think it's a pretty thoughtful on their part.

I was just about to comment saying the exact same thing. I like the XY theme, especially since I grew up with the original season 1 theme.

Wobbu

bunger bunger bunger bunger
    Years
    maybe I should pay more attention to the title next time

I agree with the two previous posts. I would have preferred a whole new theme for XY but I don't mind the remake of the original theme. The guitar sounds really nice and the whole theme in general is more simple and modern compared to its predecessor. It's nice that they are returning to their roots with the "Gotta Catch 'em All" motto even though Ash will probably never catch them all, especially since there are almost 600 more Pokémon now :P

Incinermyn

The Abomination Lives!!!
    Years
    No... The X/Y anime's theme isn't really as bad as some of the ones for Diamond/Pearl. I mean, if you ever watch the DP anime, you'll see just how uninspired and bland they were. BW's themes weren't nearly as bad as people make them out to be (I actually found the Rival Destiny's one rather catchy).

One thing to consider in general is that the anime has basically devolved into a cartoon without any serious direction. In Gold/Silver and Ruby/Sapphire animes, there were still legitimate plotlines that were being followed, though not everything in them had to do strictly with Ash's goal of becoming a Pokémon Master.

countryemo

Kicking against the earth!
    Years
    I actually like XY's theme more than the original now, I'm probably going to get some hate for that, but its true. Maybe because I'm way to used it that its annoying now.
    The only thing I don't like about the theme is the ugly end slate (The XY logo).

Khoshi

[b]とてもかわいい![/b]
    Years
    Ehh...I prefer X/Y's theme to a lot of the past two whole generations that the anime was based in, it was just a whole lot happier to me. I love how they brought back the whole "gotta catch em' all" motto, shows that they still care about classic fans.

Eevee3

╰( ´・ω・)つ━☆゚.* ・。゚
    Years
    I honestly don't see what's wrong with it. I think it's extremely catchy and it's nice to have the original theme being played, just it being a remix! It still gives off that Pokemon feel which is what I like about the openings.

The Diamond and Pearl one was nothing but rap and it did not give off that Pokemon feel I like. This one does.

I feel like this theme is saying, "we may be a new season to the Pokemon series and there may be some changes, but we're still the same Pokemon you know and love!"

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years

I have to disagree with you here. The reason why XY's theme song is lackluster is because it's very misleading to what's going on throughout Ash's journey through Kalos. He stopped trying to catch them all years ago, so he's now meeting them all (as well as the forced shipping between him and Serena). If you've watched the original Japanese version, its opening theme has no mention of trying to catch them all and talks mostly about climbing to the top and bonds. Besides, catching all 72 Kalos Pokemon isn't an impressive achievement compared to catching around 100 Pokemon such as the previous 5 generations.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
    I have to disagree with you here. The reason why XY's theme song is lackluster is because it's very misleading to what's going on throughout Ash's journey through Kalos. He stopped trying to catch them all years ago, so he's now meeting them all (as well as the forced shipping between him and Serena). If you've watched the original Japanese version, its opening theme has no mention of trying to catch them all and talks mostly about climbing to the top and bonds. Besides, catching all 72 Kalos Pokemon isn't an impressive achievement compared to catching around 100 Pokemon such as the previous 5 generations.
    But that doesn't change my point on the matter what it does to appeal to older (and newer fans) and the message it is trying to get across to those same fans. I, and many others, have found the effort to be rather attractive and smart, and I don't see anything wrong with them using this theme.

And, even referring to the original English theme (or the fourth theme or even this one). While it does mention catching every pokemon more than one (which, AFAIK, they lampshade in the XY dub), the original theme also places great emphasis on strife and bonds. In fact, the strife is the central message, not the capture of every pokemon (that's why they have the line "To catch them is real test, to train them is my cause.") It's about the strife mostly, and catching all of the pokemon is a means to prove that, well, he's the best, and it's through the help of those closest to him (or to the singer) that help him to achieve that goal.

Last edited:

Calamity

Just for the love of the game.
    Years
    • Seen Nov 10, 2020
    Don't suppose anyone could post a link of the XY theme on here please? All I can find is the Japanese one. :(

BasedNate

ImDaBes
    Years
    But that doesn't change my point on the matter what it does to appeal to older (and newer fans) and the message it is trying to get across to those same fans. I, and many others, have found the effort to be rather attractive and smart, and I don't see anything wrong with them using this theme.

And, even referring to the original English theme (or the fourth theme or even this one). While it does mention catching every pokemon more than one (which, AFAIK, they lampshade in the XY dub), the original theme also places great emphasis on strife and bonds. In fact, the strife is the central message, not the capture of every pokemon (that's why they have the line "To catch them is real test, to train them is my cause.") It's about the strife mostly, and catching all of the pokemon is a means to prove that, well, he's the best, and it's through the help of those closest to him (or to the singer) that help him to achieve that goal.

Strongly agree with you there. I think this was pretty refreshing hearing the old "Gotta Catch Em' All" song being used again as a remix. Brings forth the nostalgia & reasons why I loved Pokemon in the first place. The show went back to its roots since the introduction of X & Y. The animation, plot, characters, etc... are all superior than most Black & White episodes so far (At least imo). If anything, this was the best theme song I've ever since Johto.

Jorah

What do I put here?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • UK
    • Seen Aug 18, 2021
    I didn't really think it was a great remix, it seemed a bit cheap to me. Same song and everything, but meh, I didn't seem to get the nostalgia rush. TPCI or whoever dubs now aren't that great with making good opening songs, though; perhaps it's the vocalist. Japan didn't use Mezase Pokemon Master, so I do wonder why the dub decided on a first opening remix - I suppose they'll have to hope Japan doesn't do one too soon with lots of old characters in, heh.

imo, Johto League Champions was a better rehash, even though it was just the first part of the song that was the same.

Don't suppose anyone could post a link of the XY theme on here please? All I can find is the Japanese one. :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=naHJhNkmKsY

I really forgot, why, oh why, oh why does the dub insist on yelling "Pokemon" every few seconds in their openings. I haven't forgotten what I'm watching! XD

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    I haven't started watching X&Y, but I did listen to the theme on YouTube few days ago, and did not think it was honestly that bad. It does kind of seem as if they were lazy, but that shouldn't exactly be an issue. It's not very original, either, I suppose, but personally, it felt great to see them sort of bring back the old song again. :] Might not exactly fit this season, but it's still good nonetheless; very heart-warming.

Years
    • Seen Feb 8, 2016
    I think its nice to see it back, although having kept up with the Japanese releases before the English ones (I haven't watched any of the dubbed EPs yet) I love both themes. I do find it a refreshing twist, and I completely agree although I'd never thought of it that way, that its a way of saying to us older fans that they're trying to cater for us with the anime now. Black and white is the first series I've thought and felt like I really am 20 years old watching a kids show. Obviously it is a kids show you know, but the previous seasons there was a cool, mature, funny slant to it. Kalos episodes make me think I'm back to the way it was. There's a more sarcastic element in the episodes which is refreshing as, again, in black and white it was lacking.

Its a weird way to look at something so simple as a theme song to a show, but it feels like they're trying to get us talking by it.

Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2014
    Well! I think that this XY series theme was the most awful remake of the first season's theme. Although it is much better then the BW theme songs couldn't they come up with anything original.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back