• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Yet another "Ash's Age" thread

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
    Yeah, I know the debate has been around for a long time, but I was just wondering...
    Well, I was watching the first season of pokemon online, and happened to come by the episode "Battle of the Badge" where Ash stated that it had been "a full year since they first went there" and in the third Pikachu movie, Ash and Pikachu celebrate the anniversary since they first met (while arguably non-canon), so wouldn't that mean he's at least 11, or if the Pikachu movie is canon, 12?

Spinor

<i><font color="b1373f">The Lonely Physicist</font
    Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2019
    Damn it, nobody gets it. He is a shorty 13 year old with delayed puberty.

Problem solved.

Lash

Years
    And I get to present my theory again.
    I think I've posted this theory of mine like five times now.

Ash's Age Theory:
    Ash - 10 at beginning of journey

Indigo League - 1 anime year > 11 years old
    Orange Islands - 6 anime months > 11 1/2 years old
    Johto League - 1 anime year > 12 1/2 years old
    Hoenn League - 1 anime year > 13 1/2 years old
    Battle Frontier - 6 anime months > 14 years old
    Sinnoh - 1 anime year > 15 years old

Just a theory from a fan.

Damn it, nobody gets it. He is a shorty 13 year old with delayed puberty.

Or that, lol.

Years
    • Seen Dec 3, 2013
    While it's not uncommon in fictional universes to have a slow passing of time (regardless of if characters reference specific periods of time, current events/pop culture, talk in some sort of cultural slang, etc...) to that the characters seem essentially ageless. And that is going to likely be the people producing the anime, that'll be the answer.

But:

I've always thought that, even playing with the idea that Satoshi and co age, it isn't as drastic as the "lolzers 20 year old traveling with 10 yr old" , or even those saying he's 15 or 16.

If, on average, one episode = 1 day, with 600 episodes-ish, Satoshi doesn't even hit the 3 year mark. Two years while still relatively young, it's not that much difference, as far as physical appearance goes.

That being said, trying to figure out an exact timeline is not worth the effort. IT's a problem in Spider-Man, Simpons, and James Bond, all of which have been around longer than Pokemon. It would be a problem with Pokemon too.

So ta-da.

[/end post]

EmeraldSky

Make the Colors in the Sky!
    Years
    I'll guess 12, 13, maybe 14 or even 15 at a stretch for Ash
    Dawn is about a year younger than this, or right at 10
    I will assume Brock was in his mid-teens when he left, which would put him in his late teens (or early 20's at a stretch) now

Bagel

Live Long, laugh forever
    Years
    broc has to over 15 around 17- 18ish

dawn is 10 cause she just started off owning pokemon

ash is probably 13 or 14, do we really know how long its been since he got pickachu

remember that there is a law or something that you have to be at least 10 to own pokemon

Meganium`

Pokémon Trainer
    Years
    In the Pikachu & Pichu short, airing with Spell of the Unown, Ash & friends celebrate 1 whole year with Pikachu. Pikachu & Pichu aired 2 years, 6 months and 29 days after the first episode, Pokémon - I Choose You! As of today, it has been 10 years, 10 months and 16 days since the first episode, so according to my theory, Ash is 14.

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018
    Well doesn't each Generation go 3 years forward in time?
    Or maybe he's forever 10 years old.

Mxp

Years
    • Seen Aug 16, 2009
    in the first ever episode he was 10 years old, so probably 12

sanny the hedgehog

Back by popular demand?
    Years
    hmm the show started in the 90's so its been maybe 'bout a good ten years i'd say
    so he's probably about 20 now. he just hasn't hit puberty yet and hasn't grown in awhile.
    c'mon he probably suffers from dwarfism. LOL!!
    jk, jk. okay okay, i'd say he's probably 13, 14. somewhere around that age.
    for all i care it could be....... OVER NINE-THOUSAND!!

Jorah

What do I put here?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • UK
    • Seen Aug 18, 2021
    Yeah, I know the debate has been around for a long time, but I was just wondering...
    Well, I was watching the first season of pokemon online, and happened to come by the episode "Battle of the Badge" where Ash stated that it had been "a full year since they first went there" and in the third Pikachu movie, Ash and Pikachu celebrate the anniversary since they first met (while arguably non-canon), so wouldn't that mean he's at least 11, or if the Pikachu movie is canon, 12?

Has it ever been confirmed that they said they had been travelling for 1 year in the episode "Battle for the Badge" in the Japanese version? The dub has changed around other stuff like that, like by saying that contests take place every year when the Japanese version doesn't say that at all (from what I remember).

Back