• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Your hardest battle

JacOat12

A red dragon with a nice hat
    Years
    There is at least one trainer who gave us more trouble then anyone else in the game, right? Sure, some battles were hard, but this one just really sticks out as hard. You may have had pokemon stronger or around the same level, but this trainer still gave you trouble.... Who was it?

For me, I'd have to say it was the first battle against Shauntal. I pretty much sweeped the E4, but I came unready for a ghost trainer, and she managed to drop my team down to two pokemon with her Chandelure, which she used as her second pokemon.

Basculin

Dragonite Fan
    Years
    I'd say Shauntal....
    I have beaten all other E4, but now I'm down to my level 24 Tranquill. -__-
    (I'm facing her right now!)
    Not looking forward to redoing all the other E4.

mew_nani

Pokécommunity's Licensed Tree Exorcist
    Years
    Ghetsis sucked....

That guy nearly wiped me out.... (And it wasn't just his Hydreigon wither. All of those darn Pokemon were at least five levels higher than mine.... excluding my Reshiram and my Serperior.)

N was also difficult. As was the entire Elite Four. (I shoulda trained more. :D)

DayDreamer

Pokemon Gamer
    Years
    Most of the trainers after elite four forced me to transfer my old team.

And Cynthia =_=. My team was composed of lv50~60s and one lv85 Breloom (transferred) which I thought was enough to one hit them all but she killed it in one attack, then proceeded to one shot the rest of my team... shut game after that... haven't visited her since. Don't really want to waste her exp points on my lv100 pokemon.

Years
    • Seen May 17, 2016
    I don't really understand why people have had so much trouble with trainers like Ghetsis and the Elite Four. I had a team of 6 as soon as I was able to, and my team was always at or above each Gym leader's main Pokemon's level... I even wasted a bunch of experience on Pokemon I started to raise then gave up on, like my Gurdurr, Blitzle, Woobat and Scolipede. I found that there was easily enough XP in the game to keep ahead of the curve, more so even than in previous Generations.

As for a trainer I really struggled with... To be honest the point in the game where I struggled the most was after I beat the E4 and decided to head for one of the Routes that had just opened up. I went to Nimbasa City and headed East, and was confronted with trainers whose Pokemon were Lv.60-65+. My highest level Pokemon was about level 53 at this point. I went back and did the two sports arenas in Nimbasa for training, but all the trainers immediately post-E4 were tough because of the massive level jump.

Years
    Ghetsis gave me so much trouble, i just had nothing really to take down his Hydreigon, being a good 5lvls above my best pokemon.

And then on my second try i managed to take it down with my Serperior, which killed it with leech seed, while i kept it healed with Hyper Potions, took quite some time but it went down at last!

Was quite a surprise for me that exactly this one of my pokemon would be the one to beat it.

Notworking15

Wait...WHAT?!
    Years
    • Seen May 29, 2011
    Shauntal was a royal pain for me, for the first time, i didnt know the second types of half her pokemon and it cost me

Drekin

We all live in a...
    Years
    Well I guess the hardest battle was against an ace trainer right when you exit the White forest to the east because it was the only battle I've lost so far. I wasn't expecting trainers 20+ lvls above of my pokemon plus the fact that her Purugly had attract and swagger REALLY made me mad.

shengar

♥ Mikan Enthusiast ♥
    Years
    • Seen Jun 25, 2013
    I don't remember the trainer class, but i do remember the pokemon that make half of my team fainted. Damn those Sigilyph and its Air Cutter

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    Pre-E4, that electric gym kicked my butt. I didn't expect the Emolgas, my Mud Shot did nothing on them.

Ghetsis I only won after a lucky flamethrower missed, and my lucky attack critted. Otherwise I would have had to go get my Pokemon to 55 to even stand a chance.

Rionix

My girlfriend is a crazy fox
    Years
    • Seen Dec 24, 2011
    Ghetsis... That bastard gave me the hardest hurdle so far... Hands down -_-

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
    Wow Shauntal was my easiest E4 Mem with my Lv 44 Zoroark and Lv 46 Krookodile. Anyways back on subject, my hardest was probably Ghestis or what ever his name is. I got lucky taking him down when I did. Took me 3 times.

Years
    I just about got past N, but Ghetsis' Hyrdeigon absolutely tore me to shreds, I was lucky to get past him in the end, a couple of misses from Fire Blast and two hits with Blizzard from my level 50 Beartic did the job.

Years
    So far, it has to be Elesa because she's the only trainer I've had to battle twice. I've yet to face the Elite 4 because I'm wandering around Unova since I know I'm underleveled for the next phase (43-44 is my level range).

Twilight-kun

Pokémon World Champion
    Years
    • Seen Jul 27, 2023
    The trainers AFTER the Elite Four were a nightmare
    Route ten, kid with level 65 challenges me
    ack!
    the Elite Four, N, and Geechisu were laughably easy

Years
    I don't really understand why people have had so much trouble with trainers like Ghetsis and the Elite Four. I had a team of 6 as soon as I was able to, and my team was always at or above each Gym leader's main Pokemon's level...

The reason Ghetsis was so hard for a lot of folks is because immediately after you finish with N, he comes in. It's not like you expect it or have time to go to the Pokecenter. It was seriously random and Cheren wasn't around to help heal your pokemon. It's great you didn't have trouble with Ghetsis, but as for me, I actually blacked out for the first time in the game with him. I didn't know he was gonna come busting in, with a tough Hydreigon...

Not to mention I've noticed this time around the NPCs have a lot of crit hits, and avoid a lot of your attacks.

Back