• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Your opinion on the importance of race and nationality?

Are some races superior to others?

• Yes

Votes: 4 16.0%
  • No

Votes: 21 84.0%

• Total voters

Dawn

[span="font-size:180%;font-weight:900;color:#a568f
Years
  • Is it racist to say some races and nationalities are naturally and/or biologically better than others?

Well, ah, yeah... I mean, that's like, the definition of racism word for word right there.

Years
  • Well, I think it's safe to say that that does make white people able to do better in colder climates since that's what made them.

Similarly with Asians. Though I haven't done any real research I think that's why whites and asians have done so well compared to other races throughout history. Whites and asians had to work hard to innovate and evolve under very harsh conditions, whereas those from Africa an Latin america never really needed to, food was plentiful and they by and large never faced any real hardships.

Well, given enough time and dedication I am sure anyone can be great at anything, however I do believe certain traits come easier to certain races such as what I said above.
    I'm not quite understanding your point. A dark-skinned person has an equal chance of surviving and other time their descendants would have a lighter skin tone. If there's any superiority it's negligible and would be irrelevant. Given the same resources and knowledge a white person and a colored person would both have an equal shot at survival.

Dude, that's doesn't make any sense. If those people had it so easy they would've been the ones with the largest civilizations in the past. Eurasians experienced less harsh conditions and had more resources at their disposal, that's why they eventually pioneered the most advance civilizations. Think about it, would I have time to really better my life if I was always struggling to go hunt and gather some food? They aren't superior in any way, it's suspected that they just got lucky. It's assumed that they had things "easy" which is why they thrived. Scientists suspect that way back then the Middle East was an excellent place to live complete with lots of food, domesticated animals and plants, good land, good climate, easy east to west travel, etc. This is why it's known as the "cradle of civilization". Eurasians probably didn't have to worry about getting food and surviving all the time which led to them having a lot of free time to invent new things that made their lives easier. These inventions gave them even more free time to innovate even more.

Places like Africa were the exact opposite. The people there had a more difficult time just surviving. It's suspected that they had to work harder to survive in those conditions because they got screwed other with their location. Many places in Africa and other places are still struggling today. Since the people there are investing so much time into survival they have very little time to innovate and invent new things.

tl;dr It wasn't about superiority, most likely just luck. It's suspected that Eurasians had it easier than most people in the world, which is why they thrived. If people in struggling countries were blessed with the conveniences the Eurasians had then they'd be the ones with the massive civilizations. If you want to a more in-depth view of this scientific theory go Google something called "Guns, Germs, and Steel".

Well, maybe there is, I have never looked. However, I know what you mean, but basically I think taken to extremes white people would probably fair better in, say, Antarctica than hispanics/blacks. And vice versa.
    What makes you think that? Again, if there's any advantages they're negligible, especially in such an extreme climate.

Last edited:

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
  • Inspired by a recent discussion with someone stating that they believe some races are superior to others.

Is it racist to say some races and nationalities are naturally and/or biologically better than others? Is it racist to say that somebody's race determines their personality? I want to know what other people think.

Please don't be too imposing when posting your opinions.

I included a poll just so people who have quite a strong (and perhaps unpopular) opinion can simply vote, instead of making a post that might attract attacks from others. I'm interested to see the statistical side of things, because some people who carry seemingly racist views may just be apprehensive to voice them publicly.
    Biologically superior? I'd say yeah. If not racist, then supremacist.

But for personality though.... no, I wouldn't think that's racist. At least, I don't think it's race related. I'd say more a person's culture/heritage/upbringing determines their personality. Like the Eastern world and Western world is vastly different in attitude. I don't see how that would be racist. Cultural differences exist.

Spanner226

Millefiore Mechanic
    Years
    • Seen Aug 25, 2011
    To be honest, I have to agree with twocows: people are people.

No other race is superior than others, but there are differences, and others of the sort, though that isn't something that is negative.

And let's say there WAS a superior race. It happens; you can't really fool around with genes to change that. However, that's no reason to behave as if said race actually was superior.

In other words, once you are what you are, you can't change it(as of yet). That doesn't make you superior or inferior, however.

Musician of Literature

La musica es la fuerza...
    Years
  • Look... no race is better than any other race. It's just called being different. We have many different cultures and physical appearance, but ultimately we are all humans with the same amounts of chromosomes and similar genetic makeup. These differences really should not matter.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015

I'm not quite understanding your point. A dark-skinned person has an equal chance of surviving and other time their descendants would have a lighter skin tone. If there's any superiority it's negligible and would be irrelevant. Given the same resources and knowledge a white person and a colored person would both have an equal shot at survival.

I agree with this. While originally people evolved when we weren't as technologically advanced to handle certain climates, it's very, very different now. You could start a business in Africa and never have to face direct sunlight if you wanted, and be a successful white man there. In the era of sunscreens, airplanes, shade, air conditioning for hot climates and durable cold-weather homes, artificial heat, insulation, great cold weather gear for cold, there's no way that the difference is enough that it makes one race superior in one area of the world. Maybe in the past that difference would have been enough to make people excel in one country and not another, but that time is long gone.

Years
  • Going by what Toujours and Kirbychu stated, it's evident that notions of racism or racial superiority are totally antiquated and steeped in the ignorance of a less technologically advanced society. What people thought about race in 2011 B.C.E has no bearing on what people in 2011 C.E. think.

Back