• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Your thoughts on Ash Ketchum

Years
    • Seen Jan 13, 2010
    Ash is okay, imo. He just has an awful voice actor. why does he not have a male VA?
    I think that if Pikachu would've evolved the show would be a lot worse.. o.o

But the thing is, he must age at some point or another. O_O

Vernikova

Banned
    Years
  • Whimsy said:
    Ash is okay, imo. He just has an awful voice actor. why does he not have a male VA?

Young boys in cartoons are generally voiced by women.

Jmath

*blank*
    Years
    • Seen May 7, 2011
    I'd rather have the VA that did his voice in the Mirage Mastermind Special than the current one. Even though that VA wasn't that great, Ash sounded British when he shouted "Mistay!" and that was cool.

That was the same VA who is voicing Ash now.

And c'mon you prefer that voice to how he sounds now!?

bmah

B.A.M.
    Years
  • I used to watch the Pokemon show religiously until halfway through Johto, so I haven't watched enough of the latest episodes to make a decent assessment on his overall character. I do peek into the new stuff on occasion, and I don't seem to be missing much though. I would expect Ash to be ever-youthful and naive throughout the whole show since the show clearly is directed towards a certain audience as opposed to catering to long-time followers. It's a sacrifice that favors the continuation of humor and light-hearted fun.

It is.....O.o He sounds totally different...at the beginning of DP, he sounds raspy.....I think that's the proper word to describe it. I'm watching the episode that I missed this morning. He's sounds okay.

I bet the difference in voice you've noticed is due to Sarah's improvement in voicing the new Ash over the time since she started. It's an appreciable difference that makes watching the latest episodes more bearable than the time when the new VAs just kicked in.

Vernikova

Banned
    Years
  • Jmath said:
    That was the same VA who is voicing Ash now.

And c'mon you prefer that voice to how he sounds now!?

Sarah Natochenny was in the redub of that special but Jamie Peacock was Ash's original replacement so I think that's who she was talking about.

Edelweiss

Oh so conventional
    Years
  • Hmmm, Ash Ketchum. I think that at the beginning of the show, he would serve as a good role model for little children whom the show was marketed for. He's brave, has a strong sense of friendship, loyalty, and he has a good mind for morality in general. However, I can say that about most leads in television shows, and Ash just isn't a standout character for me, especially where he is now. The Pokemon was what attracted me to the show, not Ash.

Godwin

Prof. Godwin
    Years
    • Seen Apr 17, 2012
    Ash is alright he needs to get taller not shorter!
    Is it just me or does the deeper his voice gets the shorter he gets

Harry Blue5

I vill suck your Electricity..
    Years
    • Seen Mar 27, 2011

But the thing is, he must age at some point or another. O_O
    A male voice would have a deeper voice than a female, and at Ash's supposed age he's not hit puberty yet and would not have a deep voice. Females don't get a deeper voice so for young boys a female voice is useful.

Also, you're right, Pikachu would be terrible as a Raichu.

Back