• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Your thoughts on Ash Ketchum

DonRoyale

Get on my choppa!
    Years
    Ash does have a personality; he has a strong bond with his Pokémon with the expection of his Pidgeot as he has forgotten about it.

Bonds with Pokemon =/= Character's personality. He treats his Pokemon nice. As do 90% of the characters in the show, and those who don't are always villains. =\

Tox

fight me
    Years
    Why? Has your TV broken down or don't you have Cartoon Network anymore?

You can watch them on online if that's the case.

Even though that's not what I meant, yes. My mom got rid of Sky so I have no channels. I don't have internet access on my computer either so I use my phone.

Anyway, I really hate the new Voice Actors, the fact that Misty is gone, a lot of the evolutions for old Pokémon in the newer generations, Ash's boringness, Team Rocket's repetitiveness and Dawn's Pokémon. Ash really lacks something in the new episodes. It's sad really.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
    I hate everything about him. He's ugly, he sounds whiny, and he makes some absolutely dreadful decisions, the stupidest by far being his decision not to dump/evolve that lousy Pikachu of his. I don't watch the anime anymore because I simply cannot stand him.

Years
    • Seen May 20, 2013
    I hate everything about him. He's ugly, he sounds whiny, and he makes some absolutely dreadful decisions, the stupidest by far being his decision not to dump/evolve that lousy Pikachu of his. I don't watch the anime anymore because I simply cannot stand him.
    But the yellow electric rat beat Regice.

Years
    qft.

That, coupled with Sarah Natochenny's godawful male voice acting makes me unable to watch without cringing every time he speaks.

Focus shift plz. Or at least get a new VA, skip a few years into the future and go full-on unbeatable-badass with him.

Vernikova

Banned
    Years
    Elite Overlord LeSabre™ said:
    the stupidest by far being his decision not to dump/evolve that lousy Pikachu of his.

It was his first Pokémon so it would be understandable why he wouldn't leave it behind. As for your other complaint about not evolving Pikachu: twice. He tried twice but Pikachu didn't want to do it.

Which leads me to his caring and determined personality DonRoyale. Also, I'd like you to explain how most characters are Mary Sues.

ArcanineOod

DESU.
    Years
    I like him.
    He's annoying and ditzy at times, but he's a hero nonetheless. Yes, he's given Mary Sue storylines, but that's just the way things happen around him. He's cute; in the scruffy kid you want to hug way, not the attractive way.
    I used to have a mini crush on him, until I became older than him. Now he seems so much more like a child. Sure, he should be stronger by now, as should Pikachu, but that, again, isn't his personality, but his story. As a character I actually really like him. If he was real, we'd probably be friends. Sure, he's friends with nearly everyone, but that just means he's friendly. He's hyper and exitable, loyal, brave and a good person. He respects living things and appreciates his friends and partners. He's got a good sense of justice, too.

As for his VA? Well, why should that make me not like a character? It doesn't affect his personality, after all. Dislike Sarah, not Ash. His dub voice makes no difference to the personality that the writers create for him.

He can be whiny, greedy and silly, yes. But what do you expect from a ten(ish) year old boy, especially one so surrounded by wonder and adventure?
    As far as I'm concerned, Ash is a pretty cool character. I like him. =3

xX

Dominus Temporis

Fezzes are cool.
    Years
    • Seen Jul 24, 2012
    I think he's a decent lead character for the show. If there are problems with him, it's mostly due to the writing rather than the character himself. Okay, yeah, he can be stupid and overemotional at times, but he's perpetually stuck at ten years old. We really expect him to act like an adult? I've stopped watching the show regularly years ago, but at least he's gone through some character development.

Plus, yeah, he does have a tendency to let some of his strong team members go, but at least for the most part it tends to be to let them pursue their own interests or do something for the greater good. It'd be horrible if he was like "no, screw what you think, we're gonna go battle now." Great lesson for kids there.

Remember, this is mainly a marketing-based show aimed at kids. It's not going to have a great plot when it's mostly lifted straight from the games. (and one other thing, saying that you hate him because you think he's ugly is the most shallow thing I've read on a Pokemon board in a long time, and that's saying something)

Harry Blue5

I vill suck your Electricity..
    Years
    • Seen Mar 27, 2011
    This thread has made me wonder, why is Pikachu, the Pokémon he uses the most and has had the longest, at the same level of strength as his newer Pokémon.

I think that either Ash is a terrible trainer who has figured out how to cause Pokémon to lose the EXP. they gain, or Brock is feeding them Common Candies (the exact opposite to Rare Candies).

Years
    • Seen Jun 6, 2013
    I think pikachu is level 50 and capped at that level lol pikachu doesn't seem to gain strength nor lose strength its the same thing over and over oh and if u hate ash for not evolving pikachu adapt it since pikachu is almost like the landmark of pokemon anyways after 600 episode currently i would say ash is 11 not even close to puberty and his sometimes so overconfident that he lost but even after he won the second time other gyms he does in sinnoh is truly luck though i idolize him when i was small but as u grow older u become more mature and look at ash and see urgh i hate ash sometimes due reasons and reason newer pokemon episode is good but it lacks pikachu and poke'pals episode where they got lost and team up with moewth and explore

Pokémon Ranger ✩ Moriarty

I lit a wee fire...on a boat!
    Years
    Ash used to be awesome in Kanto and Johto, but now in Sinnoh? He's just...stupid. He is actually stupid. He continually sends out the wrong types in battle (Turtwig vs. Honchkrow in "Aiding the Enemy", for example. I know he was trying to utilize Turtwig's speed, but srsly, Grass vs. Flying = No.), ignores adapting his strategies (Paul's right - "I belieeeeve in yeeeew!!111" really doesn't work if your Pokémon are poorly trained and have the wrong movesets /:) and spends most episodes re-learning the things he apparently forgot sometime around the mid-Hoenn saga. The writers really need to pull their fingers out and make him smart again. Or make Brock the main character, because he's a) more intelligent and b) more awesome.

Vernikova

Banned
    Years
    Harry Blue5 said:
    This thread has made me wonder, why is Pikachu, the Pokémon he uses the most and has had the longest, at the same level of strength as his newer Pokémon.

Well, he isn't. Ash has just been using Pikachu less and less in Sinnoh and he's overshadowed by Pokémon like Monferno and Piplup now.

rikuboy said:
    I think pikachu is level 50 and capped at that level lol

Wrong. Try again.

pikachu doesn't seem to gain strength nor lose strength its the same thing over and over

I wouldn't say that he doesn't gain or lose anything but to say that he stays the same is a bit of a stretch.

pikachu is almost like the landmark of pokemon

It's not "almost". It's the mascot of the company.

i idolize him when i was small but as u grow older u become more mature and look at ash and see urgh

That's how he's supposed to be. He was created as a simple character that could relate to children not to teenagers.

Moriarty said:
    Ash used to be awesome in Kanto and Johto, but now in Sinnoh? He's just...stupid.

You seem to be confusing the word "Stupid" for "Dull" especially oif you think he's stupider than when he was a rookie trainer in Kanto.

He continually sends out the wrong types in battle (Turtwig vs. Honchkrow in "Aiding the Enemy", for example. I know he was trying to utilize Turtwig's speed, but srsly, Grass vs. Flying = No.)

It's been shown many times in the animé that strategy can overcome type disadvantages in battle. In a gamers standpoint it is dumb but the animé isn't the games and shouldn't be treated as such. Unless it's one type damaging another type which it can't and so on.

ignores adapting his strategies (Paul's right - "I belieeeeve in yeeeew!!111" really doesn't work if your Pokémon are poorly trained and have the wrong movesets /:)

He doesn't ignore his strategies most of the time. On some occasions like in his battle against Paul, he didn't strategize as well as Paul did and that led to his defeat. Though I don't see how his Pokémon are poorly trained since in many episodes in Sinnoh the main characters are actually shown training their Pokémon.

Also, wrong movesets? What?

and spends most episodes re-learning the things he apparently forgot sometime around the mid-Hoenn saga.

What does he spend most of his time re-learning?

The writers really need to pull their fingers out and make him smart again. Or make Brock the main character, because he's a) more intelligent and b) more awesome.

Brock the main character? No.

Years
    • Seen Dec 3, 2013
    Ash used to be awesome in Kanto and Johto, but now in Sinnoh? He's just...stupid. He is actually stupid. He continually sends out the wrong types in battle (Turtwig vs. Honchkrow in "Aiding the Enemy", for example. I know he was trying to utilize Turtwig's speed, but srsly, Grass vs. Flying = No.), ignores adapting his strategies (Paul's right - "I belieeeeve in yeeeew!!111" really doesn't work if your Pokémon are poorly trained and have the wrong movesets /:) and spends most episodes re-learning the things he apparently forgot sometime around the mid-Hoenn saga. The writers really need to pull their fingers out and make him smart again. Or make Brock the main character, because he's a) more intelligent and b) more awesome.

lol you want the most boring main character who has an almost non-existant goal to be the lead?

Have you ever watched the anime before? Type advantages are overcome all the time. Ash's Charizard won against Gary's Blastoise.

*hylian*sakura*

Rawr~ =3
    Years
    Honestly, I much prefer the Ash of old. >.> Like, in the beginning of the show, he was interesting and his stupidity and pure love for pokemon was funny and refreshing. But by now, you think he'd be somewhat more mature and less... moronic.
    All the lessons he learned in the past, he's forgotten. His strategies are always juvenille untill he learns another lesson. And usually the lesson has to be taught by someone like Brock or Pikachu, for pete's sake. XD
    I'm not saying he should be entirely un-bumbling, but it's annoying how he's really stupid, then BAM, goes into super mode and saves a legendary pokemon or something. His constant hero-moding ticks me off. Come on. "the world has turned to ash" a few too many times. T_T
    They should just bring on a new main character, imo. *sighs*

GoldvsRed

Geodude is a pretty cool guy.
    Years
    I liked Ash in the Gen. I anime. Back then, he WAS Red. Nowadays, he's a totally alien character that reminds me nothing of any of the player characters. He used to be cool, and his design was great. What went wrong?

Back