• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

You've got mail!

PokéSwimmer

Keeping time time time
Years
  • As some of you may know the concept of held mail was introduced in Generation II along with held items. Mail allowed you to type and send messages to whomever you traded with, provided that the Pokémon was holding mail.
    In Generation III, mail was restricted to only certain words and phrases (likely to prevent profane messages) and in Generation IV and V it was restricted even further (Likely for cross-language compatibility).

Anyway...

Did you ever use mail in the series? If so, on what occasion?

What did you write about?

How do you feel about the restrictions on mail implemented in Gens III-V?

Is there any way you would change the mail aspect of the game?

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
    Years
  • I've never used the mail, at all. \; I just found it pointless. ;o; I'd probably change the restrictions they have. You should be able to type whatever you want IMO. But, they should include sensors. all the fun i could have with that lmao.

Years
  • Did you ever use mail in the series? If so, on what occasion?
    Nah, it's kinda wierd, but if I did, It would be to a friend
    What did you write about?
    Dunno, usually something stupid
    How do you feel about the restrictions on mail implemented in Gens III-V?
    Ugh. I hate it, seems like they won't let us do anything
    Is there any way you would change the mail aspect of the game?
    No. I can't change nuthin

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • I never used mail at all, except to send in-game trade NPCs thank you mail on very rare occasions. I don't see much point in mail, to be honest, except to thank people who you've traded with over Wi-Fi.

Camisado

a therapeutic chain of events
    Years
  • I never used it, because I never traded with anyone I didn't know or that I couldn't communicate with any other way...well, I did use it, because me and my friends used to see what innuendos we could get out of the pre-supplied text fragments.

Before that, no. I didn't have a need for it. :( The restriction was kind of unnecessary though, I think we could have had similar censors that they had in, for example, Animal Crossing chat, for free text.

cazzler

Feraligatr FtW!
    Years
  • I think mail wasn't really necessary to have in the game from the start, no one uses it and it really isn't that significant.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • I only used mail a few times for 4th gen trades just to fill up my mailbox :P I don't really think it served much of a purpose, and the limits put on what you could say hindered its usefulness even more.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    At least prior to restrictions, it could be useful for noting things one wants to do with the monster it is given to later on (eg. moves to learn).
    I don't use the feature, but if I bred monsters for people on this site I might put something there.

Back