• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

yu-gi-oh!

Emmett

Whats up? The sky and clouds.
Years
    • Seen Jan 16, 2009
    Yu-Gi-Oh would be my favorite after kingdom hearts

Parasite Pyramid

Resident James Lover
    Years
  • I like Yu-Gi-Oh! It actually has an interesting and deep plot despite how boring the duels are. Many of its characters are well written and three dimensional. In particular, I am a huge fan of Yami no Bakura/Thief King Bakura, Dartz, Pegasus, and Malik. However, while I like many of the show's characters, there are just as many that I despise. Yami no Yuugi/Pharaoh Atem, Honda (I just plain do not like him. He is a creepy and disgusting pervert who is utterly useless to the plot. Really, what is his purpose? To take advantage of Shizuka sexually as well as lie to her in a sorry attempt to make her his girl friend? All I can say is, lets be glad that Shizuka is just as oblivious about romance as her brother and will in all likelihood never consent to having a real relationship with Honda. That pairing always was sick in my eyes), Anzu, Shizuka, Mokuba, and Rebecca all bother me. The animation looks horrid in some episodes, too. Furthermore, the 4Kids dub is terrible. It completely butchered the show by eliminating its violent/death scenes and altering some of the characters' backstories (I am actually rather surprised that they did have Cyndia, Pegasus' fiancé, die in the dub, since they would normally have characters who died in the original version of the show sent to the Shadow Realm or some crap). I also DESPISE Seto in the dub, though he is cool in the Japanese version.

I absolutely hate Yu-Gi-Oh! GX. The storyline is pitiful. Saving the world is always placed on the back-burner for school duels, all of which are even more tiresome than the ones from the original Yu-Gi-Oh! All of the characters with the exception of Pegasus are also annoying. Judai, Manjoume, Hayato, Chronos, Napoleon... They all irritate me.

Last edited:

Tenbinza

Master of the Mighty Harisen!
    Years
  • I much prefer the first series of Yu-Gi-Oh! (The Manga) since Yugi challenges opponents to other games like Russian Roulette, deadly tabletop hockey, the silence game, table top RPGs....(list other potenial shadow games here).

As for the Anime, all he plays is Duel Monsters, Dice Monsters, maybe even Capsule Monsters! Seriously, if Yami Yugi is the King of Games, then he should be the master of ALL GAMES! For now, he seems more like the Master of Duel Monsters than anything else...

And don't get me started on Yu-Gi-Oh! GX.......

Kraka-chan

From the Kraka Club
    Years
  • Yeah, I kind of agree with Tenbinza on that.

I liked the bit when Yugi fought Kaiba and Pegasus, afterwards, it just got stale. I also found Kaiba to be a more cruel villian in the first series of the Manga than he was in the Anime.

As for Yu-Gi-Oh! GX... I just find it unappealing. There's just no point in continuing the series if the titular character isn't going to be in it.

Parasite Pyramid

Resident James Lover
    Years
  • Yeah, I kind of agree with Tenbinza on that.

I liked the bit when Yugi fought Kaiba and Pegasus, afterwards, it just got stale. I also found Kaiba to be a more cruel villian in the first series of the Manga than he was in the Anime.
    I would not classify Seto as being a true villain in the main anime series. If anything, he is an anti-hero. True, he is a cruel and heartless character in the first episode, but the mind crush Yami no Yuugi/Pharaoh Atem gives him at the end of the episode changes him. However, in the first anime series that was never released outside of Japan and the first few arcs of the manga, he is indeed a villain (and a great one at that).

As for Yu-Gi-Oh! GX... I just find it unappealing. There's just no point in continuing the series if the titular character isn't going to be in it
    See, the fact that Yuugi and Yami no Yuugi/Pharaoh Atem are not in GX does not bother me. I do not hate Yuugi, but I never cared much for him as a character. As for Yami no Yuugi/Pharaoh Atem, I detest him, so I am not bothered by him not being in it (besides, anyone who has seen the final episode of the main anime series or has read the final chapter of the manga knows there is no way for him to possibly come back).

Judai, though, is a horrible protagonist. He is a happy-go-lucky Marty-Stu who makes even Yuugi and Yami no Yuugi/Pharaoh Atem seem like the greatest anime characters in existence (and they are far from it).

kohei

Pizzaman.
    Years
  • I'm currently enjoying 5D's, since the story progression is actually there, unlike GX.
    Also, I happen to like Akira and the concept of a socially divided society.

Years
    • Seen Apr 2, 2023
    Same. I've really been surprised at just how good the series is. Despite the whole "lolz, let's fix our problems with a card game", there's actually some pretty decent story there and the characters aren't annoying, Yusei is actually a really interesting main character.

.Vaporeon

eshkient
    Years
  • I think the first Yugioh was good.
    Altough the only thing i liked in YGO Gx was when the students turned into Duel Ghouls.
    Yugioh is my 2 fave show and Bakugan is my 1st..
    So yea i hope Yugioh 5D is better than YGO GX.

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    I love Yugioh.

GX is my favorite series, character-wise.
    The original, and 5D's have no Johan.. ;~; Fail.

5D's is awesome though. x3 Loving it so far.

InMooseWeTrust

Jack of All Trades
    Years
  • The Anime brought on a really amazing card game. Honestly, Duel Monsters is the best card game that I have ever played.

And in case you were wondering, no, I'm not fond of Magic the Gathering.

Tsukuyomi

fly.me.to.the.moon.
    Years
  • The original Yu-Gi-Oh! did have its moments, but ultimately, if you've watched a single episode of The Abridged Series, I don't think you can ever quite watch it again. Perhaps its biggest flaw was that this whole world revolved around a children's card game, which settles everything. Rather than beating the crap out of somebody, you need children's trading cards to settle it. Such a show shouldn't take itself seriously and have fun, like they did in GX but halfway into series 3-onwards, it became even darker than its predecessor.

I think the only thing I like about 5D's is the animation. Other than that, there's nothing that really interested me.

And we got to hear Dan Green's awesome Yami Yugi voice. He's probably the best voice actor in 4Kids right now; a nice guy, a great range that hasn't yet been touched on, and he's against the editing of death, violence and blood they do. He should follow Sam Riegel and Megan Hollingshead and take off.

Back