• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

yuuichi's pixel art

Vednix

:D
    Years
    • Seen Dec 13, 2010
    1. you probaly did since i only edited 1 or 2 and silver is ripped one oth ones just ripped
    2.i didnt go to spriters resource i went to the hg/ss image overhaul theread and ripped them from screen of hg/ss
    3.the screen didnt have the top half
    4.and if it seems you dont know its true meaning its your opinion and if your opinion isnt constructive than keep it to yorself

Dude. everyone is trying to help you improve. all your doing is ignoring them, and saying "its not constructive so keep it to yourself". Either that's gonna make poeple hate you, or ignore your thread becuase you can't accept critisism coming your way, or opinions. they are just as good as C+C as they give an insight from other people on what they think of your sprites. And by the looks of what you said in number 2, you didnt rip these at all, and just copy/pasted them from another sheet? Well, I dunno.

Anyway, I'm giving critisism so that you can improve on the parts. all your doing is not improving and adding new stuff which to be honest is worse or the same as your other ones. at least try to improve on the sprites you have so far, not make new ones every time.

and what's this about "true meaning"? Explain.

Vednix

Years
    • Seen Dec 13, 2010
    Oh I see. ok. Well, I don't see any point posting here if your going to ignore comments and continue to say "keep it to yourself". Either learn to sprite, or be a little less rude.

Beautiful Disaster

Is a frigin Absol fan
    Years
    These ARE good.I like the idea behind them.
    And i believe the reason other people think those are bad,is 'cause the shading is a little weird,and some of them look kinda rushed.
    But with a little practise,you can get those right :D
    You can read some tutorials,or look at other sprites to learn how to shade,make the outline etc.

Oh,and remember.
    I don't say i'm so super good myself,but if you need help,some hints,or just a friend you can rely on,i'm here~

Kyouya

"baddest of the bad"
    Years
    'cause the shading is a little weird,and some of them look kinda rushed.
    But with a little practise,you can get those right :D
    You can read some tutorials,or look at other sprites to learn how to shade,make the outline etc.

Oh,and remember.
    I don't say i'm so super good myself,but if you need help,some hints,or just a friend you can rely on,i'm here~
    Ok ill work on it
    its good to actually see something helpful once in a while

Vednix

Years
    • Seen Dec 13, 2010
    Yuuichi, your being a tad stupid.

I put generally ecatly the same as what Beautiful Disaster put, expect for the fact that I won't help you. and you turn round and say that that is helpful and I wasn't?!

I really want to flame you, but That will bet me banned, so I'm holding it in -.-

Right. I'll give you some "helpful" things then.

Look at chesu's tutorial on spriting, as that will help with your deformed and badly mishappen sprites. work on shading, and I wont help as you need to learn by yourself.

Kyouya

"baddest of the bad"
    Years
    "Use a variety of shading, and use darker outlines, as they tend to look better."
    that was helpful i just pointed out where the shading was everything else wasnt helpful

"Oh wow, you took the little humanoid face off the sprite, chopped the bottom off and claimed it the back sprite."
    the things like that were just mean

Vednix

Years
    • Seen Dec 13, 2010
    "Use a variety of shading, and use darker outlines, as they tend to look better."
    that was helpful i just pointed out where the shading was everything else wasnt helpful

"Oh wow, you took the little humanoid face off the sprite, chopped the bottom off and claimed it the back sprite."
    the things like that were just mean

Well, I'm sorry fot that, but if you look at the official pokemon you see that the front sprite and the back sprite look different to one another. Whereas with yours, they look both the same expect for a tiny face on the front sprite. I mean, doesn't the back of the pokemon look any different from the front? To be honest, they do in official and fan made pokemon, except for yours. And your shading could use more contrast and dakrker outlines, as I said. as in imagine a lgiht source fomr somehwere and make the shading around the, like in official pokemon.

Azumi

★七色に光る女★
    Years
    I have never been so insulted and angered at you.
    Can't you accept people's C+Cs and improve? Can't you just stop being so ignorant? Can you stop using sarcasm?!

...UGH. I'm done here.

Years
    ...alright guys, I may not be the mod of this section but I'm honestly quite fed up to see what's going on in this thread, so I'll take the time to say my bit. First of all, people should try calming down and directing their annoyance away, it's no use getting mad at the poster as it'll only just agitate you to saying things you probably wouldn't want to say at all, and that can always lead to a rather ugly direction.

Yuuichi, please understand that when you post your pixel art in this section you also immediately accept that by doing so, you are accepting the fact that you're posting this in public for others to give you feedback upon. Whether it be positive or negative, people take the time to comment upon the things you make and it's only fair to give their views a considerable reaction. It's always good to get a second opinion than just your own.

Don't get all defensive when somebody comes along to give you a critique on your work, be a little more sensible about it and take into mind just why people are telling you that you have things to improve upon. Because by seeing your showcase, I can very well see that you have ways to go and any feedback you receive can actually be really helpful.

As for me? From looking at what you had to show in your first post, I'd say the first two things you need to work on are shape and colour. Most spriters, when making their own sprites, they use a base before they choose their palette of colours, meaning that they draw out the monsters they want to sprite roughly and then turn that into a black outlined frame. Then it's a matter of choosing dark and lighter shades of decent colours to apply to your figure. It can be difficult if you're quite new to this sort of art style, that said, try looking at pixel art of other people to get a good idea of how you can perhaps start off and colour.

Do note that incredibly bright colours like a scarlet red and a flat yellow can be very painful to the eyes, so I'd recommend alternate shades that aren't so painful to look at, followed by a darker shade of the same colour. Practice the little bits first and then you can very well gradually scale to more advanced methods of making sprites and pixel art.

Well that's my input for now. Good luck.

Domin-8

aka Unoringinally Funny
    Years
    What I see you need help with ALOT is shading and outline.

There are great tutorials onthis site you can look at to help with what you do.
    And your three newest sprites (not the rips or tile) are good concepts, not so good on the execution.

The fire one makes since that a light would be coming from the center, but also EVERY sprite also has the light coming from the top left. Doesn't matter what they are.

The stone one look very odd. It doesn't really look like rock, look at any other rock pokemon to get a feel for it. Maybe not choosing yellow for it would help too. It also has the same head as the flame one, maybe change it up a little. Also, used a greater contrast between shades and shade from the TOP LEFT.

The water one looks more like a ghost to me and the arms look more like the flame guys. And it doesn't matter if it is water or not, water does cast a shadow, and in the pokemon world if it is a pokemon it has shading, so again shade from the TOP LEFT. And again change the head a little.

Overall not bad concepts. Some general things I see are that you need to work on the anatomy, the heads are too small for how big the bodies are. And if they are all flame, water, stone then have the arms look like arms but with those attributes.Such asthe arms looking rocky, or like water, just some big ball of lines. Same goes with the legs.

Fox♠

Banned
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen May 16, 2011
    ...Oh my.

Guys, I'm..I guess I'm speechless.
    Vendix, yuuichi was clearly agitated, I know for the most part you were only following the crit rule (well done for that btw) but I think it should of being clear that yuuichi wasn't going to take your crit well and you should of taken that in and just left the thread be. On top of that, you started arguing back and then posting completely irrelevant messages which didn't help at all.

.Fukari, I understand a lot of what you were saying, I too get hacked off when i and others give out decent crits only to have them refused and thrown back in our faces, however, posting about it and going off topic wasn't the answer, as I said above, leaving the thread alone would of being a much better idea.

07Harris. Please try following our rules and not going off topic in the future.

Yuuichi, seriously. If you're going to get angry over criticism, especially a forum where the rules demand decent crit, then i strongly suggest you take a step back from posting sprites for a while, follow some tutorials, think it through a little and then come back to it. Crit is there to help you, and trust me, everything Vendix was saying (although yes he could/should of being nicer) is true. Your shading, anatomy and palettes could all do with work, so could perspective and design. I can't help but feel you have jumped into the deep end by posting scratches so early on in your spriting legacy, try some fusions, recolours etc and build up your skills.

Kyouya

"baddest of the bad"
    Years
    ive been trying to work on my shading and this is the latest result
    yuuichi's pixel art

Kyouya

"baddest of the bad"
    Years
    An improvement already see!

C&C:
    outline - try and do the outline shading
    shape - a bit off but that takes work

nothing else really - good job - you are improving!
    can you tell its a snake if not then the outline is worst then you think

Vednix

Years
    • Seen Dec 13, 2010
    ...Oh my.

Guys, I'm..I guess I'm speechless.
    Vendix, yuuichi was clearly agitated, I know for the most part you were only following the crit rule (well done for that btw) but I think it should of being clear that yuuichi wasn't going to take your crit well and you should of taken that in and just left the thread be. On top of that, you started arguing back and then posting completely irrelevant messages which didn't help at all.

-.-' your right Fox. Sorry for that.

Anyway, I mgiht as well crit this latest one and leave it at that. It look a little bumpy and messy half way down. It could be rounded more there. could do with more rounding overall, and some outline shading. THe shading looks a little pillow shaded around the top (i.e light in the middle, darker shade around it and so on. it's a bit different in official pokemon). Overall, it's an improvement.

.Tactic.

x.Paranoid's BackAlley.x
    Years
    you could make it look more hmmmm pokemonish , by add horns and extra features - but yeah i guess it looks a bit like a snake!

Years
    yuuichi's pixel art
    this has some good basic shape to it. although that color is WAY too bright.
    id try something a bit softer. i applaud you for using an outline color that isnt plain black, it gives the sprie more character. some of the lines are a bit scetchy though, i think you should take this sprite off until you have is completly done so that we can see what exactly you are going for though. your on the right track with this, though you have a lot you need to improve on, remember:practice DOES make perfect!

Back