• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

RM2K Help/Discussion/Request Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
no what i wanted was the ability to have the message box stay there untill you tell it not to, like a picture. then you can continue with other events and leave the text there.

Not entirely true Darkmage, Variables can be letters, even whole words. I have used this before. You realize that to show which pokemon we will be fighting and their levels etc, we will have to do our own coding for letters and words. We will have to program every letter in there and make coding for sentences etc. are you prepared to make that effort? There has to be something easier. By the way dark, I have a bit more of the battle done now, we will have to chose our attacks in a downwards selection because rm2k3 doesn't support any other kind of choice option. Or if you want, I could do some more coding and use a selection thing.. But then how would we know what attacks go where if they are pictures? I suppose variables could do something there.. Well we have a few options, tell me what you want to do

DarkMage31

RM2K(3) Master
Years
Message boxes can be pictures. Just make the picture and use the command "message style" and set it to "transparent." If you get the image placement right, the text will appear over the picture. Then you can do what you like. It's just a little cumbersome (sp?)

No way, not EVERY SINGLE LETTER! You're crazy! Just set every pokemon in the database and use the \n[x] tab to reference them. Then you can have variables referencing their abilities and stats. Simple.

But herein lies the problem: to perfectly replicate it, we'll need to do everything in pictures. That means we'll have hundreds of pictures for every scenario- one for pidgy used tackle, one for pikachu used tackle, etc etc etc. That can be handled with Fork Conditions though.

For selecting, it'll all have to be picture-CMS style. Anything RM2K native would break the "Pokemon Style." I can do all that- I'm pretty experienced in that field.

For selecting the move, the variable determining where the pointer is located can lead into fork conditions asking which move is located in that spot for that pokemon (lots of forks!) For example:
---------------
<>Fork Var[Pointer]is Position 1
<>Fork Switch [pokemon is pikachu]
<>Fork Switch[moveslot 1 Thunder]On
Show battle animation
Run damage calculations w/ variables

Years
ok that last switch u used is completely crazy, you would have to have so many switches, Can't we do this a different way like variable [001:thunder position] set =1
or something like that? but anyway to do that, we would've had to learn thunder... so it would be
<>Fork Var[Pointer]is Position 1
<>Fork Switch[Learnt Thunder]On
<>Fork Variable[Thunder Position] set=1
<>Changeswitch[Thunder attack] ON
Else:
<>Fork Switch[Learnt Bite]On
<>Fork Variable[Bite Position] set=1
<>Changeswitch[Bite attack] ON
etc ect
or we could have it <>ChangeVariable[attack] set=1 instead of changing all those switches on, and have a list which we reference to see which attack numbers are actual which attacks eg
<>Note: 1 = thunder
<>Note: 2 = bite
<>Note: 3 = scratch
<>Note: 4 = tail whip
etc etc and we could just put it in a push key event which we won't use except for that. I got it now, theres no stopping me.

I already have the text appearing over a picture thing, That was the first thing I did, what i wanted was to show the text: what will \n[1] do?
but you have to press the decision key to continue.. I don't want this to happen. I just want it to stay. That way I can use variables to represent the other pokemon's level and just keep it there.

And by the way, I AM crazy

fudge01

Uzumaki Naruto!
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Aug 28, 2006
yeah with that message patch i need a better one thats a old one and dosent work with my version (rm2k3) anyone got one

Years
Hey Darkmage, I have a propersition (dunno how to spell that) 4 ya, I am going to code most of the battle system, but i want you to do your part as well since this is both our games, I want you to add all the pokemon to the battle system. (well all the ones we'll be using.. I will do the graphics but you have to add their attacks and position etc, you will understand when I send you the test version. Now remember this is OUR project ok? so please don't share the coding with anyone else.. I'm just saying this in case you may not know and might show people (not saying you would). I wouldn't like anyone else to see it until it is finished. And all people who help (majorly) with this battle system will get a fully working copy of it to use in their games.. Is that ok DarkMage? Tell me If you don't like any of what I have said.

In case anyone wants to know how they can help I need battle animations of actual pokemon attacks (fully working attacks of course) (I will just copy the battle animation into the game). I don't just want the graphic in case anyone is wondering, I want the animation.

I also want the Backs of all R/S pokemon, I have pretty much all but some did not download properly.

I would also like decent rm2k(3) programmers to help on this. When I say decent I mean a few years experience. I need people who are good with variables etc. Like somebody who could program a CMS or something. I don't want a tutorial, I want actual PEOPLE who have experience. I will ask you to code me something and If I like it and it is good enough to go in the game then I will trust you enough to send you a un-edited un-complete version of the battle system. You have to be TRUSTED to help in this project. DarkMage and I will not tolerate people who steal coding and are not worthy enough to work on a new ground-breaking RM2K3 project.

Also if you think you could help us in any way then tell us what you can do and we will talk it over and consider letting you help.

All decisions must be made with DarkMage and My consent, We are the project leaders and we will talk EVERYTHING over with each other before reaching a final decision. You must get BOTH our permission to do something on this game.

DarkMage31

RM2K(3) Master
Years
lol, getting a whole team together? Here's a new idea (unless of course you disagree Meekat): How about we have all the rm2k members of PC working on this? Everyone has their own skills, and if we ALL combine, it'll be great! Like Daegon Kimeron can make sprites/chipsets, I can work on the navigation of the CBS, Meerkat can do the actual programming of it, someone maybe Dizzy or somebody can do the ripping, etc. Good?

Sure, I'll add the pokemon to the CBS

Good idea for the CBS. Why didn't I think about that? Variables would be much easier than switches.

\n[x] shows your hero's name in a message box. \n[1] is hero 1, your playable character. With the Enter Hero Name, it's impossible to have forks for every single letter, so you just use the tag \n[1].

Years
I agree with you DarkMage, but I doubt the whole PC team will work on this, although anyone is welcome to join.. By the way, I have already ripped most of the stuff but if anyone thinks they can help their welcome. Umm DarkMage... I edited your system graphics and replaced them with the real graphics is this ok?
Actually I think your right DarkMage.. But do you want to give the whole of PC our battle system? I wouldn't disagree but I would want our game finished first. It's up to you.

I agree with your enter hero name thing.. But you do realize that we would have to have our own screen to enter the hero name for this to happen? We could have strings of variables to control which letter goes where for which name.... like the variable 191509200112 could represent he word LATIOS do variables have that many numbers? I **** well hope so! Reading from the right, the first number is 12 right? That equates to the letter L. Then go a bit left and the number is 01 that equates to the letter A and so on etc. This way we could spell out entire words with variables! And have the ability to split them in into their single letters so we could show the actual letter with a picture. I will brb I'm just gonna see how many numbers a variable can contain in it...
Ok we got sort of a problem.. Only 7 digits are allowed.. Do you think we could split up the name? Like into two variables? I think that is entirely possible..

DarkMage, can I ask you to do something? Can you work on that for me while I do the battle system? Or anyone that is willing ot take it on? We need a map with an event which asks your name then displays a whole picture system (like the one in Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire) to enter in the name. After that, I want it to enter the letters into 2 variables, Maybe 3 if we want more letters than LATIOS which we do.. And I don't mean enter letters into variables I mean enter NUMBERS which represent letters, eg 01=A 02=B 26=Z And I want lowercase as well if that is possible.
After that is done, I want an event that says: [So your name is] just a picture of that will be fine, but I want it to then display the name you entered into the variables (with pictures of course).
Don't worry about which variables you use, I will just "re-wire" them so they aren't the same variables I'm using on the battle system.
Anyone who could do this is greatly appriciated, they would get a spot in he credits AND get a copy of the battle system to use for themselves.

Agreed DarkMage?

rm2kjunkie04

~Criminal~
Years
Hey im back.... i need help. ok how do you make an event teleport? like i have professor oak and he takes me outside. how can i make him teleport outside his lab so rhe hero can follow? and i am haveing problems with the pokeballs.i cant get them to switch back to the way they were before i talk to oak.

DarkMage31

RM2K(3) Master
Years
Jeez louise, Meerkat. You're crazy. Variable strings for each letter? Lowercase and capital? How about we just do the regular Enter Hero Name. I mean it works perfectly, and we won't have to do any wacky picture things for every possible letter combination. All we would have to do is type \n[1]. Besides, the regular Enter Hero Name looks like the one in Pokemon anyways.

And what do you mean you edited my system graphic with the real graphics? Did you make a system file from a rip from ruby or something???

We should make a new thread for this. But in the meantime:
WE ARE LOOKING FOR HELP ON THIS GAME. All you have to do is state what aspect of the game you would like to work on. Here's what we've got so far:

Project Directors CBS Team CMS Team
-------------------------------------------------------------
~Krazy_Meerkat---------Programming- Meerkat----Graphics- OPEN
~DarkMage31------------Navigation- DM----------Programming- DM
-------------------------Graphics- OPEN----------Sounds-OPEN
-------------------------Animations- OPEN
-------------------------Sound/Music-OPEN

General
-------
Map Design- OPEN\
Map Design- OPEN ->Three people to accelerate the process
Map Design- OPEN/
Commen Events-DM, Meerkat (weather, blink, etc)
Events- OPEN
Chipsets-OPEN\Daegon?
Charsets-OPEN/

Sound good KRAZY meerkat?

DarkMage31

RM2K(3) Master
Years
Jeez louise, Meerkat. You're crazy. Variable strings for each letter? Lowercase and capital? How about we just do the regular Enter Hero Name. I mean it works perfectly, and we won't have to do any wacky picture things for every possible letter combination. All we would have to do is type \n[1]. Besides, the regular Enter Hero Name looks like the one in Pokemon anyways.

And what do you mean you edited my system graphic with the real graphics? Did you make a system file from a rip from ruby or something???

WE ARE LOOKING FOR HELP ON THIS GAME. All you have to do is state what aspect of the game you would like to work on. Here's what we've got so far:

Project Directors________CBS Team_____________CMS Team

General
-------
Map Design- OPEN\
Map Design- OPEN/
Events- OPEN
Chipsets-OPEN\Daegon?
Charsets-OPEN/

Last edited:

Sorye HK

Looking around here and there
Years
  • Seen Dec 1, 2021
Hey, I'd be glad to work on the chipsets!
I'll also upload some of the common events that I've done.

By the way Darkmage, you posted the same message twice.

Years
DarkMage31 said:

General
-------
Map Design- OPEN\
Map Design- OPEN/
Events- OPEN
Chipsets-OPEN\Daegon?
Charsets-OPEN/

Well the reason I wanted all that crazy variable string stuff was so that I could display the pokemon's levels and HP and PP and name. The normal enter hero name thing can't do this. I will do it myself if you don't think you can do it. I just need it done because I can't advance much further in the battle system without it. Thanks anyway.

Yes I replaced your system graphics with the real Pokemon Ruby graphics, I ripped and used them. That's how I have been able to do most of the battle system so far. I have the intro done as well (where you see the pokemon and thro your pokeball) I have done coding for the bit where it asks what you want to do, and so far you can get into the "Fight" option. How is that for a progress report?

Yes we do need a new thread for this so we don't go too far of topic.
I like your little tree diagram thing there! I could work on other aspects of the game as well, but first we must finish the battle system.

EDIT: lol we also still need a title for the game so we can start a new thread, DarkMage what do u think? Anyone else think they have a good name for a title?

Last edited:

rm2kjunkie04

~Criminal~
Years
i guess my stuff aint important enough to answer....well my story line is good and i still need help on the oak teleporting.....also if you could tell me how to make a screen shot i would have a few....

Years
I'm sorry, I didn't see your question.. You can make an event teleport but not to another map. I sugest you use a switch and make an autostart event that completes your thing after you teleport outside.
to make a screenshot, press print screen while in your game, then save it to paint or something. If you don't have te print screen button then too bad.

Years
>RM2KJunkie, I agree with Krazy Meerkat.

But, just off the top of my head what I would probably do is when Oak takes you to the door you teleport and turn on a switch (Like OakFollow or something) and a different event of Oak could be there that only turns on by the switch(OakFollow) and your event that started the whole thing could MoveEvent the second Oak and so on. ^.^

Bleh, I hope all that made sense... Lol ^^;

Last edited:

Sorye HK

Looking around here and there
Years
  • Seen Dec 1, 2021
Hey, this is an RM2K pokemon game.
There isn't much but there's loads of useful common events.
(I took out the battle system)
Hope this is of use for everyone.

Years
Hey everyone! Darkmage, no need to worry about that enter hero name thing, I am doing it all by myself :) I have figured out a way to split variables and re-assemble them as letters (a lot of complicated mathswork there). funny tho cuz I never did extremely well at maths.. just average... lol just goes to show you :P as soon as I get this done, i will finish my work on the first (unofficial) pokemon battle. Then I will show you how to add all the pokemon in and their attacks and stuff, because then it will be your turn to work on the system.
*Phew*
Daegon, proud to have you on the team!!!

EDIT: By the way daegon, your pokemon game doesn't work. something about not being a valid zip archive..

Years
Hey everyone, Darkmage I have FULLY COMPLETED the name system I thought up. :D Now there is a system, Numbers represent letters in alphabetical order. A=1 etc etc, I have made it so it asks you name and you enter it (NOT with the default enter hero name system, but with MY system)
I have the coding done to show the letters(tested and everything), but I have not shown them yet. I will later I need sleep now.. Please do not blame me for not being on at my normal times tomorrow (maybe today for you.. I don't know the timezone your in) anyway my girlfriend is comming over and I really do need a rest from all this intense programming wink wink :P anyway I am ready to continue full plow into the battle system. I will just need a day off, is that ok boss? lol..
Please post something anyway Dark, I have posted about 5 things without you even knowing they were there.

well, I will probably see you tomorrow (well today now, it is 1:25 in the morning) i will come on later today.. need to relax with my girl first though
byebye all

DarkMage31

RM2K(3) Master
Years

General
-------
Map Design- rm2k3kid
Map Design- OPEN/
Events- OPEN
Chipsets-Daegon
Charsets-Daegon

For the HP, PP, and name all you have to do is refference the database stats with variables. You don't need complex strings of variables. You're making too much work for yourself. But if you did it without me, all the better I guess... Anyway, rm2k3 kid is helping with map design. There's also another guy around here (I forgot his name) that I'd like to get working on the maps. I'll contact him later.

BTW, don't erase all the variable/switch/common event names. I'm going to want to see how you made the system and make changes myself.

Neo

Years
  • Seen May 31, 2004
Hi, I'm a friend of Darkmage. I'll work on the CMS graphics if you want!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back