• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

RM2K Help/Discussion/Request Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sorye HK

Looking around here and there
Years
  • Seen Dec 1, 2021
Does anyone else apart from Krazy Meerkat notice the zip file I uploaded
was corrupted? Because it really shouldn't be.
Anyway, welcome to the team!
And Darkmage, I don't know if I would be good on charasets.

Years
  • Seen Jun 22, 2011
Daegon_Kimeron said:
Does anyone else apart from Krazy Meerkat notice the zip file I uploaded
was corrupted? Because it really shouldn't be.
Anyway, welcome to the team!
And Darkmage, I don't know if I would be good on charasets.

yeah the file said its corrupted.

wow you guys are making a game that are exactly like pokemon games? wow i cant wait to see that :). i wish i could be help but im just a beginner :( oh well im still learning and i still find this very cool :)

Years
Sure you can work on the CMS with us.. Well by us, I mean DarkMage lol...
Yes I will leave all the information there, I even left little comments to help people understand what I was doing.. But can you tell me what you changed? Are you talking about the battle system or the neter hero name thing?
Ok, I have already done the enter hero name thing, The main reason I wanted it was so I could display the name of the pokemon you entered as a picture, I am going to make the bar with the HP and everything (including name) move up and down like in the game. I did that just for effect, but I want to display the name of the pokemon you're using for so many different reasons. If you ask me, It was worth it. We can use that enter hero name thing for ANYTHING now, I even used the real graphics from Ruby/Sapphire so it does actually look prety authentic.

I will just quickly explain the other part of it in case anyone needs to use it for a part of our game, It works by entering the letters you selected as variables. I made a coder which puts all those variables together into two different variables (which I am going to call cookies) the first half and the second half of the name. Then later I made a decoder which reads those two cookies and splits them back up into their 6 variables and displays them as letters. This way we can enter lots of names by coding them into cookies. (saves me like 5000 variables if we were to enter all 382 or whatever amount of ever-changing pokemon there are now) Also the letters are displayed at the co-ordinates Var[Picture X co-ordinate] and Var[Picture Y co-rdinate] or something so we can fully customize where the letters will be displayed. also when it moves onto the next letter I made it add 10 to the Var[Picture X co-ordinate] so that all we really need to do is change those variables to whatever we want and it will display the leters by itself. (As you can tell I was always a fan of the computer doing most of the work, All I have to use is my brain)

I can't really do any work for a while because I just woke up and my gf is comin round soon.. But I will get some done later, It is the holidayz so I can stay up all night working on this.
Daegon, If you don't want to do charasets that is fine, I have charaset experience.. And I spose I could do it if nobody else will.

Yukapuka, you can be a beta tester if you want. :)

Ok here is the new team:
Project Directors________CBS Team_____________CMS Team
-------------------------------------------------------------
~Krazy_Meerkat---------Programming- Meerkat----Graphics- Neo
~DarkMage31------------Navigation- DM----------Programming- DM
-------------------------Graphics- OPEN----------Sounds-OPEN
-------------------------Animations- OPEN
-------------------------Sound/Music-OPEN

General
-------
Map Design- rm2k3kid
Map Design- OPEN ->Three people to accelerate the process
Map Design- OPEN/
Commen Events-DM, Meerkat (weather, blink, etc)
Events- OPEN
Chipsets-Daegon
Charsets-OPEN

Oh and DarkMage, If it's not worth doing the hard work then it's not worth playing. That is why i work so intensly on this, I hope a few people learn some new things while I'm at it. Remember, I will still be finishing up pretty soon and making you add all the pokemon ok? It's the least you can do after I have built the engine. :)

Last edited:

Sorye HK

Years
  • Seen Dec 1, 2021
I'm uploading the file with just the common events.
If this one is corrupted again, try unzipping this and the other file
with Alzip.

-EDIT-

I would also like to help with the common events, (except the battle system)
and map design.

Sorye HK

Years
  • Seen Dec 1, 2021
I've given up. Anyone who can open this, can have all the rescources
I compressed into it. It has all the F/R Trainer Sprites and Pokemon Front Pics.

fudge01

Uzumaki Naruto!
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Aug 28, 2006
welll it seems to wrok for me i know how you feel i was trying to post my translation patch up and people keep saying it was cprrupt i didnt know what was wrong with it

Years
I'm sorry daegon it just keeps saying not a valid zip archive. It's probly just me. I would really like those f/r sprites!!! They would be good to add in the game. Anyway I have completed an attack in the battle system (animation and all) now I'm wondering what to do for the enemy turn.. I will soon complete this basic system, and I would please ask Dark to add in pokemon and attacks. It's not hard, I will do a little tutorial to show how to do this.
Daegon, could you please find a way to send me those F/R sprites? I would really like them for our game.. actually maybe you should send them to DarkMage.. I don't know.. Anyway thanks for being on the team

Sorye HK

Years
  • Seen Dec 1, 2021
Well, if anyone has MSN messenger, I could send them over.
And thanks fudge01 for some sympothy.

Years
  • Seen Apr 15, 2004
Rm2k/Rm2k3 battle system problems

In battle in Rm2k/Rm2k3, isn't their any way to use triggers from abilities? For instance, suppose I have the following scenario in a Pokemon-style game:

Pikachu uses Thunderbolt. I want it to show a BATTLE ANIMATION of Pikachu running forward, pausing, shouting "PIKA!!!!!!!!!!", thunderbolting the enemy, then running back.

But here's the problem: I can't find a single trigger that works with "when hero uses CERTAIN skill". In rm2k3, you can say "when hero uses skill", but you can't specify WHAT skill it should work on.

I realize that I could simply use Trigger skills and so on, but that would basically require the same amount of work as using a CBS, which I don't want to do.

So is there anyway of doing this short of using trigger-skills and a CBS?

Years
EDIT:You can assign a switch to a skill, check in the database. Then just put an IF string. That should solve your problem.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jun 22, 2011
well im not sure but i believe on database... the animation 2 tab... u assign the animation for each pokemon u want to animate when using an attack. Thats what i did... i assign an animation but i couldnt make it forward.. only animating on that position and then it makes it attacks...

Years
Going to sleepies now, tell me how much I missed DarkMage by.. Wanted to talk to him but just cant stay awake that long.
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz......

DarkMage31

RM2K(3) Master
Years
I'm gone for a second and forty more posts come up! Wow!

Anyway, I'm glad you got that Enter Hero Name thing running. That'll make it all easier in the long run. You were right. My bad

I also feel pretty bad that you're working so hard creating this engine, but I assure you I'll find somethings to change! ;) You should send it to me whenever you can- I'd like to help too. As long as you don't erase all your switch/var/event names and stuff, I'll figure it out. I'm a fast learner. Then we can switch off, and it'll go faster that way. And of course we can get someone else to work on it too! If you send it to me, relax with your gf all you want (define "relax" ;)). I feel guilty about not doing anything until this point. And besides, if I have any questions I can always ask you here! No, I don't need a tutorial or anything. Thanks anyway.

Walker> Go to database (F8) and click the tab "Skill." Make a new skill, and call it what you want. This is the important part: Under "Type" select "Switch." Have a description, choose the MP consumption, sound effect that you want, and on "Turn ON Switch," make a new switch called, say "Thunderbolt." If it's a CBS, check Field for Activation Allowed, but if you are using the DBS, check "Battle." (If you don't know what those abreviations stand for, they're Custom Battle System and Default Battle System) So in a common event, have:
<>Branch if Switch[Thunderbolt] is ON
<>Message: Pika!
<>Move Event: Pokemon, Right, Right, Right, Right
<>Wait 0.5 sec
<>Show Battle Animation: Thunder,Enemy(Wait)
<>Move Event: Pokemon, Left, Left, Left, Left
<>Switch Operations:[Thunder] OFF.
:End Fork
<>

So when you select the attack, just switch on "Thunderbolt!" Questions?

Years
Ahhhhhh!!!! you turned off the wrong switch!!! nnoooooo endless loop!!!!!
lol that has happened to me so many times.
Anyway.. Ok, I will send you the game through hotmail ok? just need to fix few more things first.. (forgot to put a few IF switches in.. hang on since we are using variables in practically everything in the game, do u think it would be easier to say
IF Var[Using which pokemon] Set=1 then Show Pic Latios? Instead of all those switches we can use ONE variable.. sounds like a plan to me)
Don't feel bad about helping in the battle system, I'm about to make you do a lot of work. Just thought I should use my battle engine while it was still in my head:D.
Ok I won't write the tutorial unless you don't understand something.. but i'm warning you, It's a bit confusing! I left little notes to help people understand what was goin on, Mainly me lol. I have used a lot of pictures btw lol, got very frustrated when i had to change em all around to show a custom battle animation! Oh and I still need to copy an event and change about (what's 26x6?) picture numbers. Just so I can show the pokemon's name twice, lol i will need to do it again when I show the enemy's name.. WISH PICTURE NUMBERS WORKED WITH VARIABLES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Years
  • Seen Apr 15, 2004
Krazy_Meerkat said:
EDIT:You can assign a switch to a skill, check in the database. Then just put an IF string. That should solve your problem.

No, it wouldn't! My point is, if I did THAT then I might as well make a custom battle system, which I do NOT want to do. I realize full well that you can assign a switch to an ability, BUT if you do that then you have to program ALL THE ABILITIES EFFECTS (sorry bout the caps, too lazy to use Italics). I want to know if there's a way to have a STANDARD ability (with built-in effects) turn on a switch. Like "When hero uses Slash, then do this certain thing".

Anyone here have an answer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back