• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen A G/S Remake?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rudy23

New Guy
Years
  • I think that if these remakes are to be released during this generation then we'll HAVE to hear something (ANYTHING!) about it shortly after the release of Platinum down here in the states. In my opinion, i think we WILL hear something (maybe a slight hint) & hopefully they'll be released in time for the holidays in Japan & about a year from now here in the U.S.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Sep 12, 2016
    Tcch your mixing up the info months with release munch icicle. Its more logical of winter 09/10 to spring for the release.
    "Pokémon Gold and Pokémon Silver (Japanese: ポケットモンスター 金・銀 Pocket Monsters Gold and Silver) were the fifth Pokémon games to be released in Japan, on November 21, 1999." Quoted from Bulbapedia
    I think you're quite right.

Haza

☆A Life of Pokémon and Beyoncé ☆
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    So maybe they will be released as an anniversary gift to us.

Kozoi

Mmmmm.
    Years
  • I think Nintendo already know about how many people want a G/S remake and I have heard rumours that they've copyrighted two names along the lines of Pokemon Moonlight Silver and Pokemon Sunrise Gold. This is only a rumour, though.

I think they will consider this, a complete Johto & Kanto game where you can get Celebi from a Nintendo Live Event would be so sweet and I think Nintendo might do this since it's achually impossible to get Celebi.

I hope these copyright rumours are true, can someone vertify this or is it not possible to do so?

Mitchman

Banned
    Years
  • Very hard you need to know a lot of bull crap. Anyway there are a lot no hell all the legends of the second generation are down right impossible to get i mean sure we have the dogs in fr/lg(but not in platinum where all the trios where so go figure) but they had the worst stats. They say its a glitch that always happens. I say it was put there on purpose cause they know the remakes are inevitable.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • Anyway there are a lot no hell all the legends of the second generation are down right impossible to get i mean sure we have the dogs in fr/lg(but not in platinum where all the trios where so go figure) but they had the worst stats. They say its a glitch that always happens. I say it was put there on purpose cause they know the remakes are inevitable.
    I don't think they would have been planning for a GS remake by that stage... :/ A bit too early, really - they hadn't even made Emerald yet, let alone 4th gen games. It is either a glitch or a purposeful decision made by them to give them low IVs - if the latter, it's more likely it was to encourage people to get them via events, or even more likely encourage them to get good old Colosseum, which was available when FR/LG were released, and had all three dogs in it.

Plus the remakes aren't inevitable by any means- they're possible, but even now there's every chance they won't happen. And that was even more the case during the times of FR/LG.
    I hope these copyright rumours are true, can someone vertify this or is it not possible to do so?
    I wouldn't know it those names are copyrighted... Nintendo have copyrighted a few names for Pokemon games for a while now - there's a big list of them in fact, many which hold no bearing to GSC. Does that mean they they will all be used? No - and, for instance, Platinum hadn't even had a website domain reserved by Nintendo, but someone else (fans' forum?) instead. So I wouldn't take much from whether some names are already copyrighted or not, as it's no major deal for a game company with a lot of $$$ - a lot of them are just done for the heck of it (the more 'obvious ones'), but they will not necessarily be used.

Haza

Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    Well if its going to happen this would be the perfect time to since the originals came out in 99, 10 years ago.

Haza

Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    Well if its going to happen this would be the perfect time to since the originals came out in 99, 10 years ago.

Haza

Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    Its not just about obtaining pokemon. Its the fact that RSE and DPPt have attracted a lot of new loyal fans and they missed out on the GSC experience which was one of the most unique.

Years
    • Seen Dec 3, 2013

It's highly unlikely that they would release something in the same year that Platinum is getting such a big push.

I think Nintendo already know about how many people want a G/S remake and I have heard rumours that they've copyrighted two names along the lines of Pokemon Moonlight Silver and Pokemon Sunrise Gold. This is only a rumour, though.

Copyrighting names means absolutely nothing, nor does in-game data. Huge companies copyright random stuff all the time. It could've been the title while it was still in a demo stage, or a title that was ultimately rejected, or something they considered for several other reasons. Just because they copyright something doesn't mean they'll ever use it.

Nintendo probably does know how many want a G/S remake. And the answer is probably not nearly as many as this thread thinks.

they know the remakes are inevitable.

Except they aren't.

Years
    • Seen Feb 4, 2011
    No offence, but I don't think anyone likes your attitude, I don't want to start anything and I know your entitled to your own opinion but thats thinking negative and being unopen-minded.

You never know what could happen, and if it is highly requested then Nintendo could

be missing a huge oppurtunity in sales. Trust me, everyone would love to see their

childhood revamped to what they could do today with technology. Think why the game

is asked so much, because everyone loved Johto and its new experiences when it first

came out.

Mitchman

Banned
    Years
  • Lets also not forget that platinum is coming out in america in 2009 and if a gs remake would come out this year it would be in 2009. Or wait no of course sales in japan would surely effect american sales.

Years
    • Seen Dec 3, 2013
    No offence, but I don't think anyone likes your attitude, I don't want to start anything and I know your entitled to your own opinion but thats thinking negative and being unopen-minded.

I could care less about what anyone thinks of my attitude. Just because I'm not posting "omgzers TEH JOHTO R0RXRZ!!!11111!!!!" doesn't mean I can't post here.

Saying that a Johto re-make is "all but inevitable" isn't being open-minded, it's called FALSE HOPE. There's absolutely no evidence to suggest a Johto remake is being made, and it's highly unlikely that a new game is going to be released so soon within the US. We've got the upcoming Shaymin (and likely Regigias) events, Platinum, probably some similar Wi-Fi events like JApanese Platinum is getting, and then stuff revolving around Movie 12.

You never know what could happen, and if it is highly requested then Nintendo could

be missing a huge oppurtunity in sales. Trust me, everyone would love to see their

childhood revamped to what they could do today with technology. Think why the game

is asked so much, because everyone loved Johto and its new experiences when it first

came out.

I thought it was quite boring and put a strain on the technology of the time. Kanto is such a baren wasteland.

And yes, Nintendo probably knows exactlly what the demand for ANYTHING is. Studies, surveys, etc...is something any big company does to keep up with the current trends. But all this Johto signup re-make petition or the SOVA "campaign" is not necessarily reflective of real-world trends.

Remember, FR/LG didn't perform nearly as well as the Hoenn duel games. It's a fairly good assumption to make that it's worth it to make a duel of new games rather than spend almost the same amount of effort and re-make games resulting in less sales.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • Let's not get into arguments here - not everyone is going to think 'so-and-so' about the possibility of GS remakes.

I for one do somewhat doubt that a GS remake would be made and released this year - it's not impossible, but it seems a bit too soon for it to be both announced and released.

I've no qualms with randomspot555's opinions (especially as it's not a given by any means that a GS remake is being made), although I wouldn't mind knowing some more on the reasoning behind some statements...
    Nintendo probably does know how many want a G/S remake. And the answer is probably not nearly as many as this thread thinks.
    I'm somewhat doubtful of that... on every single semi-big Pokemon forum there's constant discussions about a GS remake, and this has gone on for a some years now. Execpt for serebiiforums, and that's because they banned GS remake discussions because everybody repeated the same old infomation to death.

Not everybody wants a GS remake, obviously - but from what I have seen, a heck of a lot of people do, and certainly more than those who voiced their want of FR/LG when it was announced. And that's just the people who go on Pokemon forums and talk about such things if it's allowed. I know plenty who don't, and who also want it. Chances are the number wanting a GS remake is in fact quite large.
    Saying that a Johto re-make is "all but inevitable" isn't being open-minded, it's called FALSE HOPE. There's absolutely no evidence to suggest a Johto remake is being made, and it's highly unlikely that a new game is going to be released so soon within the US. We've got the upcoming Shaymin (and likely Regigias) events, Platinum, probably some similar Wi-Fi events like JApanese Platinum is getting, and then stuff revolving around Movie 12.
    Firstly, the only thing there that is possibly going to delay a GS remake (IF it's made of course) is Platinum. Events are really extreme minor compared to games - and not all countrys get them either for the non-wifi ones. Movies also have very little bearing on the sales of games, purely because they are not games themselves (and for instance, they are very much 'meh' in many contries like Australia, as opposed to Japan - I'm pretty sure at least one of the 12/13 (?) movies made have co-incided with a game release). So really the only thing is Platinum atm.

On that... well, I'll say that there are things suggesting that at least it was/is being considered, and if something is being considered, there's chances it's being made. On the flip side it's quite likely it's not being made of course, but to say that there's no evidence may be a bit much, becuase it sounds a bit like one's forgetting that it's clear that it has been considered seriously by Nintendo.

After all - they put in coding in D/P/Pt for Pokemon to be 'from Johto', and this piece of code isn't even necessary, if you look to Colo/Xd's Pokemon being from a 'Distant Land', and there being no coding beforehand in 3rd gen games saying 'From Orre' or whatnot. Then there were the million-and-one references that at the very least do show they were thinking about the original GSC games while making DP, and it surely can't be so hard to think 'remake' seeing they made FR/LG. The notable absense of the Johto beasts in Platinum, but inclusion of Kanto birds and the Regis, making any of the 2nd gen legendarys absent from 4th gen games unlike any other gen, also suggests that it has been considered...

But it doesn't mean that they are making the game, of course. But it is something - and there's nothing that says the opposite, admittedly.

Lets also not forget that platinum is coming out in america in 2009 and if a gs remake would come out this year it would be in 2009. Or wait no of course sales in japan would surely effect american sales.
    Remember, FR/LG didn't perform nearly as well as the Hoenn duel games. It's a fairly good assumption to make that it's worth it to make a duel of new games rather than spend almost the same amount of effort and re-make games resulting in less sales.
    I'm lazy, but I do recall making a post some time ago on why I thought a GS remake could very well make more sales than what FR/LG did - and that still sold and made Nintendo a tidy profit. Basically, I wouldn't discount GS remakes in what sales it could make. Plus don't forget that it would be a new game for those people who arrived on the Pokemon scene after GSC - and it's quite a number, judging by the sales of DPPt. I'm quite confident that if a GS remake was made - it would sell and sell well.
    Lets also not forget that platinum is coming out in america in 2009 and if a gs remake would come out this year it would be in 2009. Or wait no of course sales in japan would surely effect american sales.
    Maybe check the post before posting...'if a GS remake comes out this year... it would be in 2009...' umm... :/ =P

But there is nothing saying that it HAS to be this year. The fact that FR/LG was made for the 'aniversary' was nothing but a pretence - there's no reason why Nintendo have to give a reason to remake GS besides the $$$ reason... so don't jump up and down that it'd be this year just yet - it could be this year - it could be next year, it could be next gen, or it could be never. Randomspot555 is correct in saying that there is nothing that shows that it is being made for this year - although there are things showing it is being seriously considered at least - and that there is nothing saying that it will happen this year.

Having said that, I still believe it will happen sometime. =P But we all will have to wait and see - it's all well and good speculating what Nintendo might or mightn't do, but we don't know what they're thinking right now on whether they will make the game that they've shown consideration of, whether they'll deem that it'd sell (IMO I think it quite easily will), and if so, when they make it.

Years
    • Seen Dec 3, 2013
    I'm somewhat doubtful of that... on every single semi-big Pokemon forum there's constant discussions about a GS remake, and this has gone on for a some years now. Execpt for serebiiforums, and that's because they banned GS remake discussions because everybody repeated the same old infomation to death.

That's because forums are not representative of fandom as a whole. The LARGEST Pokemon forum is Serebii's, which has 70,000 registered (and only a fraction of that are actually active). D/P sold 15 million in North America alone.

What this means is that the fans posting or visiting their sites are the most hardcore fans. They are so set in their ways that they're opinion is not worth studying for the affects of marketing. They're mostly either completely in love with [insert franchise here] and will buy whatever, or hate it and are boycotting it for [insert probably dumb reason here]. These are the extreme edges of fandom, and what any company wants is what the fans in the middle (the 14 million NOT on Internet fan sites) want.

Not everybody wants a GS remake, obviously - but from what I have seen, a heck of a lot of people do, and certainly more than those who voiced their want of FR/LG when it was announced. And that's just the people who go on Pokemon forums and talk about such things if it's allowed. I know plenty who don't, and who also want it. Chances are the number wanting a GS remake is in fact quite large.

Chances are no one actually knows. But considering how often "friend of a friend" and Internet fandom represents, it's probably not a good representation of the 30 million or whatever D/P owners world-wide.

Firstly, the only thing there that is possibly going to delay a GS remake (IF it's made of course) is Platinum. Events are really extreme minor compared to games - and not all countrys get them either for the non-wifi ones. Movies also have very little bearing on the sales of games, purely because they are not games themselves (and for instance, they are very much 'meh' in many contries like Australia, as opposed to Japan - I'm pretty sure at least one of the 12/13 (?) movies made have co-incided with a game release). So really the only thing is Platinum atm.

While the non-game parts of the franchise is on the downhill outside of Japan, it is kind of picking up at least in NA. And their corresponding releases have signaled event Pokemon. The entire world has had respective Manaphy and Darkrai releases for their respective movies, for example.

But my point is there's still a lot going on in this gen.

On that... well, I'll say that there are things suggesting that at least it was/is being considered, and if something is being considered, there's chances it's being made. On the flip side it's quite likely it's not being made of course, but to say that there's no evidence may be a bit much, becuase it sounds a bit like one's forgetting that it's clear that it has been considered seriously by Nintendo.

I'd love to see some proof of what's in bold.

NAmes being copyrighted or phrases being trademark really do mean next to nothing. McDonalds has a huge list of copyrighted phrases that have either never been marketed, or were used in the 60s and never again. Songwriters get the rights to songs that have never been released, or song titles that never made it past the "song title" phase. Names for products are also copywritten so a SIMILAR name to the well known product isn't released to try to fool customers.

After all - they put in coding in D/P/Pt for Pokemon to be 'from Johto', and this piece of code isn't even necessary, if you look to Colo/Xd's Pokemon being from a 'Distant Land', and there being no coding beforehand in 3rd gen games saying 'From Orre' or whatnot. Then there were the million-and-one references that at the very least do show they were thinking about the original GSC games while making DP, and it surely can't be so hard to think 'remake' seeing they made FR/LG. The notable absense of the Johto beasts in Platinum, but inclusion of Kanto birds and the Regis, making any of the 2nd gen legendarys absent from 4th gen games unlike any other gen, also suggests that it has been considered...

A simple study of any coding in any Pokemon game shows that there's coding that is never used, or was left in from demo phases. Professor Oak was supposed to be one of the final battles in R/G/B. The battle was left in, but the event to activate it taken out.

There's a Key Item called the "S.S. Ticket" in D/P, but was never used for anything known and can't be obtained without hacking.

There's a sprite for a ??? type Arceus but no ??? type plate.

In the more well known, the Key Item to get Mew was only released in Japan, and Sinnoh key items look like they'll only be released for Platinum.

So even if the event is IN THE GAME, there's no guarantee that it'll be used.

Haza

Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    A simple study of any coding in any Pokemon game shows that there's coding that is never used, or was left in from demo phases. Professor Oak was supposed to be one of the final battles in R/G/B. The battle was left in, but the event to activate it taken out.

There's a Key Item called the "S.S. Ticket" in D/P, but was never used for anything known and can't be obtained without hacking.

In the more well known, the Key Item to get Mew was only released in Japan, and Sinnoh key items look like they'll only be released for Platinum.

The Arceus is there to keep a hackers game from crashing if the form is found some how. And they have never put data in a game for another region not accessible before.

Last edited:

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • That's because forums are not representative of fandom as a whole. The LARGEST Pokemon forum is Serebii's, which has 70,000 registered (and only a fraction of that are actually active). D/P sold 15 million in North America alone.

What this means is that the fans posting or visiting their sites are the most hardcore fans. They are so set in their ways that they're opinion is not worth studying for the affects of marketing. They're mostly either completely in love with [insert franchise here] and will buy whatever, or hate it and are boycotting it for [insert probably dumb reason here]. These are the extreme edges of fandom, and what any company wants is what the fans in the middle (the 14 million NOT on Internet fan sites) want.
    Which is why I said:
    And that's just the people who go on Pokemon forums and talk about such things if it's allowed. I know plenty who don't, and who also want it. Chances are the number wanting a GS remake is in fact quite large.

I'm pretty away that it's mostly just us hardcore people who take to the forums to show off our pokeyman skills. :P

Chances are no one actually knows. But considering how often "friend of a friend" and Internet fandom represents, it's probably not a good representation of the 30 million or whatever D/P owners world-wide.
    True - it'd be very hard to tell, and it's why game franchise can easily fall apart suddenly after poor sales of a game. Nevertheless Pokemon games are a safe bet, given the long history of Pokemon games, and the fact that it's from memory the 2nd-best selling game series. (Or just Nintendo's second best, but that's still a lot). I don't think Nintendo will have to worry too much that a GS remake wouldn't sell (spin-offs are certainly selling quite well even). Although of course I might be wrong. -_-
    While the non-game parts of the franchise is on the downhill outside of Japan, it is kind of picking up at least in NA. And their corresponding releases have signaled event Pokemon. The entire world has had respective Manaphy and Darkrai releases for their respective movies, for example.
    I'm not sure the entire world had their releases... and nevertheless, although I got my Darkrai from the event here in Australia, there was a noticeable lack of any advertising of the movie. All that was said was 'so-and-so shop is giving out free Pokemon' - not because of a movie.
    But my point is there's still a lot going on in this gen.
    There's still easily room for more though - after all, if one wants to compare to the 3rd gen, they had RSE, FR/LG, Colo/XD for the Gamecube, and a heck of a lot of side-games. So far in this gen the only handheld games were DPPt - whether they make more is certainly debatable but there is the fact that they have had more than one set of handheld games. And PBR is the only other main game - others like Mystery Dungeon and Ranger games are but mere spinoffs. And movies only really ride the says of the anime/games, rather than affect the sales of the games (after all, many go tot he movies just to get a Pokemon event).
    I'd love to see some proof of what's in bold.
    See the in-game coding for 'from Johto' (i'll mention this again later.

And I very much doubt that the people at Nintendo wouldn't have considered it, especially since they did already make a FR/LG remake. They've even had people e-mail them about it, amusingly enough (and they have responded at least once I recall according to one person's efforts, which neither confirmed or denied it but simply said 'if it's made it'll be on our website so check there). The idea would have occured to them, even if GS fans didn't mention the possibility of the remakes on the internet, I'm pretty sure.
    NAmes being copyrighted or phrases being trademark really do mean next to nothing. McDonalds has a huge list of copyrighted phrases that have either never been marketed, or were used in the 60s and never again. Songwriters get the rights to songs that have never been released, or song titles that never made it past the "song title" phase. Names for products are also copywritten so a SIMILAR name to the well known product isn't released to try to fool customers.
    I know this - in fact, I made a similar post on the last page. And another a few pages before. And... =P

Basically - I don't consider the copyrighted names as 'proof' by any means.

Of course - I'm well aware of stuff being in the coding that never gets used (like say a third sprite for Shellos that was never used) - BUT note that I said that this shows that they've considered it - not that it means it'd be made, which is two different things. =) As you quoted:
    On the flip side it's quite likely it's not being made of course, but to say that there's no evidence may be a bit much, becuase it sounds a bit like one's forgetting that it's clear that it has been considered seriously by Nintendo.

As I said before - they was no need to add in that coding. No need at all. Maybe they did it just in case at the very least? Even then, that means that the thought occurred to them ('oh, we'll put this coding in in case we do make that GS remake'). That possibly is it, but that means that they considered a GS remake. And to do this when there is no need... well, there's not that much point to do so otherwise, is there? Add in all the other things that seem to set up ever-so-nicely if a GS remake happened to remake, factor in the lack of things discounting a GS remake... and it does show that they have thought about it. Obviously, whether that means that they would go and make the game/are developing it is another matter althogether.

(And as mentioned the second-last one isn't unnecessary in-game coding as the Arceus-sprite is so the game won't crash when one hacks such an Arceus - there are numerous such ones done by Nintendo/Game Freak to prevent game-crashes. Although that wasn't the point of that part anyway).

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back