• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: best coast california

Status
Not open for further replies.
    Years
    • Seen May 15, 2023
    There's always one "down with capitalism let's go to the farmer's market where profits go where they should" person in every crowd lol. Malls are awesome, I'd live in one if I could.

Farmer's Market only give about 20% profit back to farms which is only a small amount more than any business. Majority of the money goes to location (paying for the building, all the expenses (light, water, rental fees for the shopping carts, registers, etc.), individual city regulations and taxes, State imposed taxes of businesses, employee payments, and advertising eat up about 70% of the money they make.

What about the other 10%? There is usually another hidden expense, though its easier to assume that that is pocketed by the owner. I've done auditing for a few small farmer's market like areas and they barely make anything compared to a large corporation and barely send anything back to the community.

Generally when a store "Gives back to the community" its a Mom and Pops store that pockets 85% of the profit for them selves as they are the community and they are giving back to themselves, but they make so little you hardly ever notice.

Working for a Mom and Pop's store is worse than working for a corporate business if you are trying to make money.

Fairy Tale~

Straight Outta Compton
    Years
    I miss my mall back home. It's about four times the size of the mall where I go to school. Plus it has all my favorite stores and food places (I'm drooling just thinking about Chipotle). I also tend to avoid the mall here just because I worked at a store over the summer and, well, let's just say I never want to work retail again. :P

Hmmmmm Chipotle i love chipotle

malls are awesome so....

Alexander Nicholi

what do you know about computing?
    Years
    Last time I was at a mall we were meeting my drunk aunt, and she ended up getting arrested for threatening a clerk at a McDonald's. Oh, and we had to deal with her two rotten-ass daughters, who couldn't put down their cigarette's - at 14 and 16.

Years
    Honestly, if I had to go to meet a drunk/non-sober relative (which never happens in my family), I would just try my best to stay home. And if I was forced, I would try my best to have as little interaction as possible.

Gabri

m8
    Years
    Not a huge fan of malls. I get in, grab stuff I need, and get out. That's it, I'll never waste unnecessary time in there.

Honestly, if I had to go to meet a drunk/non-sober relative (which never happens in my family), I would just try my best to stay home. And if I was forced, I would try my best to have as little interaction as possible.

And this. If necessary, I'd say I had a super-important lab report due the following day.

Sir Codin

I don't always drink, but when I do I usually know when I've hit my limit.

Crux

Evermore
    Years
    Geez, guys, I thought we were going to try to change the threads in CCC from 'post and go' to mini conversations?

My god, can we change Chit Chat Café back to Chit Chat & Polls? My tablet keeps trying to change CCC to KKK. Damn, thesis papers...

Years
    Geez, guys, I thought we were going to try to change the threads in CCC from 'post and go' to mini conversations?
    There are some topics that cannot escape that format at all, especially polls. But if you feel the name should be changed back, then just talk with the moderators of the section.

Alexander Nicholi

what do you know about computing?
    Years
    That sounds more like you've subconsciously linked a negative event to the idea of a mall, then...

Anything but. I find malls to generally be a place where people are willingly robbed of huge sums of money they had no obligation to spend. Something that's worth about 79 cents (say, a bottle of parfum), they would charge close to $120 - just because consumers are stupid enough to pay that much. That event is trivial in my opinion of mass consumerism.

Sir Codin

I'm not well versed in the art of manufacturing perfume, but I imagine the costs of some of the chemicals alone to manufacture parfum would cost far more than 79 cents. Not to mention the cost to pay workers, the cost of the bottle, etc. Prices for goods are also usually determined by supply and demand, not because "people are stupid enough to pay that much." Granted, I will give you that brand names tend to play a role in price as well, though.

Last edited:

Sableye~

Back to PC~
    Years
    • Seen Jan 4, 2018
    Roc, I burst into this weird, suppressed laughter when I read your post. I'm not sure why it came off as so amusing to me. I:

I'm not big on shopping pretty much regardless of where it is, but that doesn't include the weird little video game shop I found. Bought a Mewtwo plush and Chimchar figurine there. :D I normally avoid spending money, but sometimes Pokemon is an exception.

Honest

Hi!
    Years
    Well, I ended up buying a phone case from the mall! That, and am currently getting humiliated on Facebook over a joke my friend made. -_- Well, maybe not humiliated, but too soon.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    My current phone case definitely needs a change. It's gotten pretty old; it has scratches all over. :( Also, what was the joke that your friend made, Dipu?

Honest

Hi!
    Years
    She made a video while we were hanging out pretending that we were on a date together. I keep denying it during the video, cause it wasn't. I didn't expect her to put that up on FB, though. And seeing I just broke up with my girlfriend not even 2 days ago, I'm just all wtf over it.

Honest

Hi!
    Years
    I mean, it was all a joke, I understand that. I'm not even mad at my friend. It's just that, while I'm not being hopeful that we get back together, I don't want to damage any chance of that happening. And this does just that.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back