• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

@Brain Over Brawn@ Psychic-type Club

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
I think Jynx may have been left in the cold for so long due to the 'Blackface' controversy over the human Shape Pokemon in the anime. I think the episode Jynx is in was banned in some countries.

I think I might be the only person in here who likes Mr Mime.

That episode you are talking about is called Holiday Hi-Jynx which was temporarily banned due to Jynx's presence but it was aired once, although it has been years since then so yeah. There was also a Johto episode where Brock got sick which was banned internationally due to Jynx still having the black face.

There was a Hoenn episode that was close to getting banned due to Jynx appearing, but the episode was important to the series plot so they edited Jynx to have the purple face and allow it to go to air.

As for Mr. Mime, I'm with you here. I feel like that thing is one of the most unloved Psychic Pokemon ever, even after 6th Gen gave it Fairy-type. I just find its design so fun and interesting for some reason.

KorpiklaaniVodka

KID BUU PAWAA
Years
fine

- Your nickname: AmourPearlShipper
- Your Psychic-Type Club-Campaign Partner: Slowpoke
- Reason for joining the club: i like psychic-types lol
- Answer to the current topic (compulsory):

Imagine yourself being a Psychic-type Gym Leader/Elite Four. How would your gym/room look like? What would your team be?
I'd look like a normal person and have a room like Gary's in GSC. Idk, Slowbro, Wobbuffet, Metagross, Alakazam, and two non-Psychic-types, Gengar and Mamoswine. (yeah there were gym leaders like that).
7. What do you think about Psychic-type's godlike status* in Generation I games?
Honestly i never thought psychic-types were THAT great in RBY, however the fact that Mewtwo was ridiculous meant you needed a Chansey to beat it.
S7.1: If Special was never separated? Are Psychic-types still going to run amok today?
Nope. Chansey exists, Tyranitar and Weavile would still destroy 'em with Pursuit, and fighting-types could still exploit their low physical bulk with moves like Knock Off.

S7.2: Do think Psychic-type has been demoted too much? Was it right to introduce a lot of new mechanics in one generation?
Maybe. Dark is imo the best type in the game due to Pursuit, Sucker Punch and Knock Off, which got a ridiculous buff. Though Psyshock still hurts most special walls, it often doesn't deal enough damage to Chansey.

Last edited:

Sun

When the sun goes down...
Years
  • Seen Jan 20, 2017
I had to Look Rougela up to find out it was Jynx's Japanese name. I think I prefer it to Jynx in truth.

I think I have had at least one Psychic-type Pokémon in my team in every playthrough except my Silver Speedrun.
Well, I'm trying on White 2 with a Treehollow run. 2 Reuniclus, a Starmie, and a Sigilyph...then I had a Samurott and a Mienshao, with the latter to counter the evil dark types. It's a mix of boring and fun, to be honest. Sometimes it feels dull because the enemies get mostly 1-2 hits, but it's fun when things get tricky. I don't mind losing battles, but I do feel bad for my pokemons after.

Yup, I try to include one Psychic pokemon in my team every run. Sometimes I go for other Psychic types I don't use(like Grumpig) but end up looking for a Ralts/Solosis later on anyway.

hB84322B5

This is how I feel like every time I face a Ghost/Dark type. Especially a fast one like Gengar, or tough one like Dusknoir.
And here's another pic/short comic that I found while searching cheezburger. I really laughed at the Dream Eater part.
Spoiler:
You can always give her a nickname! ;)

Both of your dedication for the Psychic-type is amazing. Similarly I include a Water-type in almost of my playthroughs. :)

You can try to use Gallade in place of Mienshao, while the Samurott is your starter, so that's why it holds a special value?

Both the Ralts line and Inkay line must be Psychic-type saviors for their secondary types! xD

That Dream Eater comic is sweet! ^^
Your nickname: TwilightBlade (Blade)
Your Psychic-Type Club-Campaign Partner: Solosis
Reason for joining the club: I love Psychic legendaries such as Latias and Cresselia to bits and pieces. Honestly, I've not used too many Psychic types on in-game teams (I have used Xatu, Espeon, Gardevoir, Lunatone, Metagross, and Sigilyph). I love how serene most of the designs are for Psychic type Pokemon such as Chimecho and Musharna. There are definitely some bizarre ones like Hypno and Beheeyem that remain an enigma. I have absolute respect for this type for continuing to be a powerhouse in battle.

If you can have a Psychic pokemon in real life, who would it be? What would you have it do/do with it?
Gardevoir because it would protect me and we'd go out for ice cream.

Which Psychic Pokemon which has a Mega Evolution do you think did not need one?
I agree in that Mewtwo does not need Mega evolutions. To me, mega evolutions are where natural Pokemon are reacting to an incredible energy. Mewtwo isn't exactly not manmade, and it is powerful enough in its own right. The fighting version is also dumb to me. Keep my psychic kitty as psychic.

#4. Your favorite Psychic-type attack? why?
Luster Purge! Its move animation is incredible in the 3rd gen. Psychic is also amazing in gen 1 and 2, yet got worse as the generations went on!
Welcome to the Psychic-type Club Blade! It's nice to have you with us! ^_^ I applaud you for replying the previous topics!

Gardevoir and Gallade's devotion to their Trainer is one of the things that make me love the whole Ralts line!

I was exactly thinking about the man made thing when iI was first playing XY, it didn't make sense why Mewtwo received a Mega Evolution. That's not to say that Mewtwo is disliked or hated, in fact it's a memorable Pokémon for me!

I tend to forget about Luster Purge because of its lower base power and PP compare to to the move Psychic. The animation AND sound on the other hand in Gen III games are kicka-s! ;)

Welcome TwillightBlade.

I think Jynx may have been left in the cold for so long due to the 'Blackface' controversy over the human Shape Pokemon in the anime. I think the episode Jynx is in was banned in some countries.

I think I might be the only person in here who likes Mr Mime.

Dream Eater is one of my favourite Psychic Moves. It is a shame Hypnosis is so inaccurate, Lovely Kiss is a little better but I think only Jynx can learn it.

That 'blackface' inspired me a topic! I'll lined it up next! :)

No worries, we respect your love for Mr. Mime! Everyone has their own preferences, like Mewtwolover's dedication for Mewtwo, which is a cool thing! {XD}

Yes, I still wonder why Hypnosis didn't get a 75 Accuracy like Lovely Kiss and Sleep Powder. It's understandable if the sleep duration is longer under Hypnosis, but it isn't!
Which Psychic Type which currently does not have a Mega Evolution do you want/needs a Mega Evolution?
Delphox. Mega Delphox should be nine-tailed kitsune.

Which Psychic Pokemon which has a Mega Evolution do you think did not need one?
Slowbro, it's defense stats are already high enough.

I agree, Delphox should receive a Mega Evolution! In fact there were rumors that the Kalos starters have different evolution forms depending on the version you're playing. I've also heard of Mega Delphox during pre-XY era, when things are starting to be leaked. Sadly, none of them turned out to be real.

As for Mr. Mime, I'm with you here. I feel like that thing is one of the most unloved Psychic Pokemon ever, even after 6th Gen gave it Fairy-type. I just find its design so fun and interesting for some reason.

Nichole your positive and fun aspect are always great to read! ^^

I guess if Mr. Mime has a better stat than its current one, it's gonna receive more attention than ever.

fine

- Your nickname: AmourPearlShipper
- Your Psychic-Type Club-Campaign Partner: Slowpoke
- Reason for joining the club: i like psychic-types lol
- Answer to the current topic (compulsory):

7. What do you think about Psychic-type's godlike status* in Generation I games?
Honestly i never thought psychic-types were THAT great in RBY, however the fact that Mewtwo was ridiculous meant you needed a Chansey to beat it.
S7.1: If Special was never separated? Are Psychic-types still going to run amok today?
Nope. Chansey exists, Tyranitar and Weavile would still destroy 'em with Pursuit, and fighting-types could still exploit their low physical bulk with moves like Knock Off.

Fine? xD But yeah, it's absolute great to have you part of this Club! :)

Chansey is definitely one of the perfect counter for Mewtwo in Gen I games! Yes, the rise of Tyranitar and later on new Dark-type like Weavile, Scraggy poses real challenge for most Psychic-type Pokémon!

*I edited the quotes, in order to shorten this post's length, I have no any ill meanings behind it.* xD

Years
Well, I guess replacing Mienshao with Gallade works, if I can find a non-hacking way to get Ralts. I keep Samurott as a last resort, and also because he's a starter. Something like a lucky charm to me.

Glad there's a lot of new members now. Lovely bustle here.

Sun

Years
  • Seen Jan 20, 2017
Well, I guess replacing Mienshao with Gallade works, if I can find a non-hacking way to get Ralts. I keep Samurott as a last resort, and also because he's a starter. Something like a lucky charm to me.

Glad there's a lot of new members now. Lovely bustle here.

Let's see. Ralts is available in White version if you have Ace Trainer Lena presented. While Ralts can be obtained in Black 2 and White 2 from Yancy/Curtis, depending on your player if it's Nate or Rosa.

That is thanks to everyone's efforts! Every single member here in Psychic-type Club has my gratitude. Gothet and you are particularly outstanding, this club wouldn't be the same with out you two! ;)

On to our new topic!~

Psychic-type has unfortunately been caught up in at least three controversies. The most well-known one is the Jynx as mentioned from the previous posts, while the other 2 ones involved Kadabra. We're starting from Jynx first.

[S-HIGHLIGHT]Since this is a topic and discussion that covers about controversy, I need to make a special warning, keep a level head. The following topic is not meant to cause any forms of argument or flames. A healthy and calm debate is perfectly fine, however.[/S-HIGHLIGHT]

Without any further ado, here are the questions and topic to discuss.
  1. Do you really think Jynx is a 'negative racial stereotype of African-Americans'*?
    *Described by a critic/author named Carole Boston Weatherford, which sparked the controversy.
  2. Do you think the allegation against Jynx is the reason why she didn't get an evolution in Generation IV* as well as a Mega Evolution in Generation VI*? If so, was it fair to Jynx to get ignored?
    *Jynx's peers Magmar and Electabuzz, each received an evolution in Diamond and Pearl versions. Jynx, Magmar and Electabuzz received a baby evolutionary relative in Gold and SIlver versions.
    *Mega Jynx is trademarked like those Pokémon that received Mega Evolution in Pokémon X and Y. http://pokemonfigure.blogspot.jp/2013/08/registered-trademark-and-mega-pokemon.html
    Please note the article's date, it is published before X and Y are available in stores.

Jynx shares a similarity with an another Ice-type Pokémon, Frolass, who made its debut in Generation IV.
    • Similar typing, Ice-type and their secondary types are related to supernatural elements.
    • Same origins, both are based on Yuki-onna, a female snow spirit or a supernatural monster in Japanese folklore.
    • Similar stats, most notably their Special Attack and Speed. With Jynx slightly better on the Special Attack, while Froslass is faster than the humanlike Pokémon.
    • Similar coloration, Froslass has a red ohashori while Jynx has a red dress. Most notably their 'flesh' are purple.
  3. Do you think Frolass was intended to be Jynx's intended evolution? (Probably under a different design, think Blaziken/Latias' initial design, Frolass might have a different base stat than her finalized stat.)
  4. Do you think it was a wise decision to change Jynx's face color? Why?
  5. The color change might helped Nintendo or Game Freak to run away from potential troubles, but did it helped Jynx?

Mewtwolover

Mewtwo worshiper
Years
Do you really think Jynx is a 'negative racial stereotype of African-Americans'*?
Nope, it's clearly a fictional character and it isn't a human so it can't be considered as racial stereotype.

Do you think the allegation against Jynx is the reason why she didn't get an evolution in Generation IV* as well as a Mega Evolution in Generation VI*? If so, was it fair to Jynx to get ignored?
Sadly yes. It was really unfair to Jynx to get ignored, americans should learn to separate reality and fictional characters better.

Do you think Frolass was intended to be Jynx's intended evolution? (Probably under a different design, think Blaziken/Latias' initial design, Frolass might have a different base stat than her finalized stat.)
Interesting theory, I think it might be intended to be Jynx's intended evolution.

Do you think it was a wise decision to change Jynx's face color? Why?
Yes because USA is so big market area and racial things are really serious business there.

The color change might helped Nintendo or Game Freak to run away from potential troubles, but did it helped Jynx?
At least it has saved Jynx from being censored in the American versions of games.

LilyGardy

The Flowering Pokemon
Years
That is thanks to everyone's efforts! Every single member here in Psychic-type Club has my gratitude. Gothet and you are particularly outstanding, this club wouldn't be the same with out you two! ;)

On to our new topic!~

Psychic-type has unfortunately been caught up in at least three controversies. The most well-known one is the Jynx as mentioned from the previous posts, while the other 2 ones involved Kadabra. We're starting from Jynx first.

[S-HIGHLIGHT]Since this is a topic and discussion that covers about controversy, I need to make a special warning, keep a level head. The following topic is not meant to cause any forms of argument or flames. A healthy and calm debate is perfectly fine, however.[/S-HIGHLIGHT]

Without any further ado, here are the questions and topic to discuss.
  1. Do you really think Jynx is a 'negative racial stereotype of African-Americans'*?
    *Described by a critic/author named Carole Boston Weatherford, which sparked the controversy.
  2. Do you think the allegation against Jynx is the reason why she didn't get an evolution in Generation IV* as well as a Mega Evolution in Generation VI*? If so, was it fair to Jynx to get ignored?
    *Jynx's peers Magmar and Electabuzz, each received an evolution in Diamond and Pearl versions. Jynx, Magmar and Electabuzz received a baby evolutionary relative in Gold and SIlver versions.
    *Mega Jynx is trademarked like those Pokémon that received Mega Evolution in Pokémon X and Y. http://pokemonfigure.blogspot.jp/2013/08/registered-trademark-and-mega-pokemon.html
    Please note the article's date, it is published before X and Y are available in stores.

Jynx shares a similarity with an another Ice-type Pokémon, Frolass, who made its debut in Generation IV.
    • Similar typing, Ice-type and their secondary types are related to supernatural elements.
    • Same origins, both are based on Yuki-onna, a female snow spirit or a supernatural monster in Japanese folklore.
    • Similar stats, most notably their Special Attack and Speed. With Jynx slightly better on the Special Attack, while Froslass is faster than the humanlike Pokémon.
    • Similar coloration, Froslass has a red ohashori while Jynx has a red dress. Most notably their 'flesh' are purple.
  3. Do you think Frolass was intended to be Jynx's intended evolution? (Probably under a different design, think Blaziken/Latias' initial design, Frolass might have a different base stat than her finalized stat.)
  4. Do you think it was a wise decision to change Jynx's face color? Why?
  5. The color change might helped Nintendo or Game Freak to run away from potential troubles, but did it helped Jynx?

Thank you for the praise. I try to contribute to clubs the best I can.:)

Now onto the questions.

1. No. Pokemon is a Japanese creation and Jynx is portrayed as a Santa's Elf like helper in the anime. Jynx is dressed like an Opera Singer (See her Emerald Sprite) and Opera singers are stereotypically white.

2. I think so. It got a baby form in Gen 2 but was ignored in Gen 4 completely whilst other similar Pokemon got evolutions including other Psychic Types like Kirlia to Gallade.

3. The Shiny form of Froslass has the same colour fabric (Purpley Pink) than Jynx's dress. I think if Froslass was Jynx's evolution they would have incorporated the hair in some way (Maybe as a cape). I think Froslass being an evolution of Jynx at one point is a real possibility.

4. Yes. The Blackface and lips had unfortunate resemblances to a Golliwog which many find to be offensive depictions of black people even though Jynx is not based on them. The Purple is less controversial and looks better to me than the black.

5. No not really. To the casual Pokemon gamer Jynx is a strange looking ice type with a long cry which Google says was in an episode that got banned. Until it gets an evolution I can't see that changing unfortunately.

Years
Do you really think Jynx is a 'negative racial stereotype of African-Americans'*?
Not to me. I think Jynx was meant to represent something else, I wish people didn't see her that way.

Do you think the allegation against Jynx is the reason why she didn't get an evolution in Generation IV* as well as a Mega Evolution in Generation VI*? If so, was it fair to Jynx to get ignored?
Probably. The controversy happened when G/S/C have already been released, right? Maybe they were planning an evolution for her, similar to Magmar/Electabuzz, but had to cancel it for fear of starting another similar controversy. And no, it wasn't fair. Maybe they should've boosted her stats a little, to compensate for it somehow I guess.

Do you think Frolass was intended to be Jynx's intended evolution? (Probably under a different design, think Blaziken/Latias' initial design, Frolass might have a different base stat than her finalized stat.)
Never thought about that. They're both female, ice, and slightly magical. But it kinda stops there.
Oh, and I had a look at Blaziken and Latias' early design, and I think I might have nightmares soon.

Yes, to alleviate the controversy. There's hundreds more of pokemons anyway, and Jynx with a purple face looks no stranger than a Jynx with black face to me.

The color change might helped Nintendo or Game Freak to run away from potential troubles, but did it helped Jynx?
Nope. I think Jynx is still normal(or abnormal, in her case). She was meant to be a strange pokemon, like how some Psychic types are, and I can accept that ^^

Well, that's my thoughts on the topic. That really gave me something to think about.

Sun

Years
  • Seen Jan 20, 2017

Yeah I believe it wasn't their intention to mock or stereotype any kind of people. Gothet's points on Jynx being an Opera Singer was actually quite supported by a sidegame series, Jynx is available in Panula Cave from Pokémon Ranger. Jynx can be found singing in the said cave.
Since Jynx wasn't made with ill intentions, she shouldn't get ignored by the gamers or officials. Or completely retcon her out of the franchise, instead of ignoring her. It doesn't mean I hate Jynx nor she should be retcon for the best, I meant the officials are ignoring her, then they should get rid of her instead of leaving her like that.

While US is a huge market, I don't think it was wise to change the color. It made Game Freak looks really guilty, when they aren't to begin with, since Jynx wasn't made will ill purpose. Technically, that color change is a form of censor. But hey at least Jynx wasn't edited out of Lorelei, Skier Diana and Will's team! I believe that black face wasn't actually a solid thing, it was more like a hollow-thing, like Gastly? So it wasn't really a skin to begin with, she doesn't even have a feet (according to games, the most standard definition of all Pokémedias).

Yeah, the concern regarding Jynx begun around year 2000, Smoochum was already made /released in year 1999 through Pocket Monsters Kin/Jin (aka Japanese versions of Gold and Silver) before the controversy started. If the controversy started before Smoochum made her debut, there could be chances for Smoochum getting crossed out.

I love how Gothet brought up the shiny variant, it further supports this theory. If you look at Froslass' head shape, it does resemble a cape/hood, so they might had the idea on incorporating the hair as Gothet suggested.

The purple design we see nowadays resembles Hel a being who presides in Niflheim, according to the Norse mythology. Niflheim is notably a realm of frigid.

Sadly , her stats wasn't modified in Gen VI, when other Pokémon like Krookodile, Roserade, Pidgeot got theirs modified as Dragoz suggested how it should be.

To sum up, Jynx's one unfortunate Pokémon, she was truly jinxed.

Sun

Years
  • Seen Jan 20, 2017
What if...all this time it was just a conspiracy to actually make Jynx seem like she really was a jinxed pokemon?

Okay a crazy theory {XD} but wow, if it was true, then that's an incredible pun they made.

LMAO

That would be the most cruel way to promote a Pokémon. It really backfired! {XD}

Not to mention, if that was a gimmick to promote Jynx. Then they really had the intention of racism in mind, wvent though it was done purposely for sole marketing purpose. :P

If there are no further opinions on the Jynx issue, I'll continue on with our last Psychic Pokémon related controversy, Kadabra.

Dedenne1

[SPAN="FONT-SIZE:16.5PX; FONT-FAMILY: SATISFY; TEX
Years
Idk did you see the banned episode?

Yep and yes i never liked Jynx myself but maybe if they give it a mega it would actually look good for the couple minutes you see it in battle.

No Froslass is to good to go near Jynx..However 4th gen would have been a perfect time to introduce a evoltution hmmmm....

I saw no difference really it didnt hurt Jynx but it didnt excatly help Jynx either.

Honestly the only way to help Jynx is probably to give it a evolution so they can say it was going through its weird years as a jynx (2nd evoltuion) and then boom its an adult and cute as smoochum!

Sun

Years
  • Seen Jan 20, 2017

Spoiler:

Hocus pocus, our main focus of the topic is Kadabra. whose name was Pocus on Pokémon Red and Blue beta, by the way.

[S-HIGHLIGHT]Since this is a topic and discussion that covers about controversy, I need to make a special warning, keep a level head. The following topic is not meant to cause any forms of argument or flames. A healthy and calm debate is perfectly fine.[/S-HIGHLIGHT]

tumblr_mte14wdKje1swdfc0o1_500.gif

Bulbapedia said:
In November 2000, Uri Geller, a man claiming to be a psychic who is to be able to bend spoons with psychic powers, tried to sue Nintendo for £60 million ($86.93 million at the time), claiming that Kadabra, known as Yungerer in Japan, was an unauthorized parody of himself. Besides Kadabra's use of bent spoons to enhance its psychic powers, the katakana for its name (ユンゲラー) is visually similar to the transliteration of his own name into Japanese (ユリゲラー). Another claim was that Kadabra's design is antisemitic in nature due to the star on its forehead and the lightning bolts resembling the logo of the Waffen-SS. He is quoted as saying "Nintendo turned me into an evil, occult Pokémon character. Nintendo stole my identity by using my name and my signature image."
As a result, there has not been a Kadabra card in the Trading Card Game since Skyridge in 2003 and Kadabra has not appeared in the Pokémon anime since Fear Factor Phony, perhaps as a precaution against Geller's history of lawsuits. This is further hinted at by Masamitsu Hidaka's interview with PokéBeach in July 2008, where he claims that usage of Kadabra on a card is not allowed until an agreement was reached and that the case would not be settled anytime soon.
Abra and Alakazam cards have continued to be printed, despite the fact that this makes it impossible to play Alakazam cards in matches that prevent the use of older cards without a card that specifically allows evolved Pokémon to be played. However, the only Abra card released after Skyridge, in Mysterious Treasures, has an attack that allows it to evolve directly into Alakazam, skipping the Kadabra stage. Although this is probably a coincidence, the Everstone in the core series games from Generation IV onward fails to prevent Kadabra's evolution into Alakazam.

Here are the questions and topic to discuss.

1. Do you really think Kadabra is based on the aforementioned self proclaim-psychic?
  2. Do you think the symbol on Kadabra's abdomen is a representative of Nazi Germany?
  3. The article mentions Kadabra still evolves through trading even if it's equipped with Everstone*, is it really a coincidence?
    *Haunter, Boldore evolve if no Everstone is attached while trading, otherwise the mentioned Pokémon do not evolve if they are holding Everstone.
  4. Do you think it was a wise decision to not feature Kadabra in any printed materials*? Why?
    *Trading cards, Anime and any franchise except gaming.
  5. Following the previous question, Abra gained a special permission to directly evolve into Alakazam in TCG*. Eventually the Abra line seems to have vanished from the TCG*. Do you think that's too much? Or was it a correct move from Nintendo*?
    *The said Abra card was distributed under the Skyridge expansion by Wizards of the Coast.
    *Nintendo has taken over TCG from Wizards of the Coast since EX Ruby & Sapphire.

Spoiler:

The aforementioned Abra TCG card.
  6. While Jynx received a color change, Kadabra's design remained untouched. Was it fair?
  7. Which Pokémon between Jynx and Kadabra, has the worse controversy in your opinion? Did they deserve the 'punishment' they received?

Mewtwolover

Mewtwo worshiper
Years
Do you really think Kadabra is based on the aforementioned self proclaim-psychic?
Nope, the japanese name is just a coincidence.

Do you think the symbol on Kadabra's abdomen is a representative of Nazi Germany?
Not at all, the whole nazi controversy is actually hilariously stupid:
1) There's 3 lightning bolts on its abdomen but only 2 on the logo of the Waffen-SS. There's notable color difference between them as well.
2) The star on Kadabra's forehead can't even be anti-semitic because it's just like the symbol of communism (red star), communism was created by jews and red star is used as a symbol of antifascism.

The article mentions Kadabra still evolves through trading even if it's equipped with Everstone*, is it really a coincidence?
That's coincidence, it might just be a bug that went unnoticed through the development process and ended to be in the released games.

Do you think it was a wise decision to not feature Kadabra in any printed materials*? Why?
It's still featured in some pokédex posters which is IMO enough.

Following the previous question, Abra gained a special permission to directly evolve into Alakazam in TCG*. Eventually the Abra line seems to have vanished from the TCG*. Do you think that's too much? Or was it a correct move from Nintendo*?
That''s too much, they should've just banned that card if it were broken.

While Jynx received a color change, Kadabra's design remained untouched. Was it fair?
It was fair, the whole nazi controversy was so stupid that there's no need to change Kadabra's desing because of it.

Which Pokémon between Jynx and Kadabra, has the worse controversy in your opinion? Did they deserve the 'punishment' they received?
Jynx has the worse controversy because it had bigger consequences.

Reactions: Sun

LilyGardy

The Flowering Pokemon
Years
1. No. The resemblance between the two names is an unfortunate coincidence and spoon bending is a feature of Psychics in general.

2. No. Kadabra is not anti-semitic. The star is just that a star and the lines on his stomach are simply markings.

3. Not sure. I think it might be a bug and due to the controversy Game Freak may have left it as it is.

4. It is fair to add a special Abra card. Those who use Alakazam's card should be allowed to do so regardless of a controversy.

5. Kadabra is yellow with brown and pink marks. A re-colouring would be needless as Mr Gellar is not that colour. Also Abra and Alakazam would also need to be re-coloured.

6. Definitely Jynx has been hurt more by their respective controversy. Alakazam (And by extension Kadabra) continues to be used and is among the most popular Psychic types. Jynx has disappeared and is behind not only Alakazam and Kadabra but also Gardevoir, Reuniclus and most other Psychic Types.

Note on Espeon: I received a Shiny Espeon on Wonder Trade yesterday and think his green colouring is intentional. The Carbuncle in the Final Fantasy Games is green with a red jewel in it's forehead similar to Shiny Espeon.

Sun

Years
  • Seen Jan 20, 2017

Interesting views from both! :) Oh and thanks to Mewtwolover for being a consistent member here. Your username reminds me something I should have done long ago!~ xD An event related to our Psychic-type Club. :)
I love your insight on Kadabra's features, Mewtolover. :) There have been other allegations towards Kadabra and Alakazam, which is religion related. But I didn't bring it up, as it might offend people with religions. But feel free to check it on Google and tell me your thoughts about it! {XD}

Gothet, look at that thunderbolt symbols and the number of his fingers. >:) It's obvious those were simply scratch marks! {XD}

Fair enough. Kadabra is a popular Pokémon but there are even more popular Pokémon there, so there isn't any real harm there. Sadly for the TCG players, no matter how fair is a special Abra card, the whole Abra line seems to have vanished from the TCG franchise.

How about make the Abra line pink and fabulous? Just kidding~

I'm a bit surprised the stars and lightning bolts aren't erased or replaced with other symbols. It's interesting to note that Kadabra didn't have a star in his for head on the Japanese Red and Green versions, the lightning bolts are nearly invisible as well.
http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/e/e8/Spr_1g_064.png
While Kadabra's lightning bolts are visible, the star remains absent in the Japanese Blue version and international versions of Red and Blue.
http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/d/d6/Spr_1b_064.png

While Jynx's controversy was more serious, Kadabra's punishment was heavier. So heavy that its evolutionary line are affected!

Wow, Gothet! Congrats on the Shiny Espeon! Seems like the Shiny Eeveelutions are drawn to you! ^_^

Years
Do you really think Kadabra is based on the aforementioned self proclaim-psychic?
That's too far fetched. Although the names sound alike, I still think that it was just a coincidence.

Do you think the symbol on Kadabra's abdomen is a representative of Nazi Germany?
Nope. Definitely not.

The article mentions Kadabra still evolves through trading even if it's equipped with Everstone*, is it really a coincidence?
Maybe, it feels strange trying to connect things like that with the controversy. I'll have to go with the previous posters: maybe it was a bug and Game Freak probably left it like that to make it look less of a mistake.

Do you think it was a wise decision to not feature Kadabra in any printed materials*? Why?
Well, I'm all for preventing further issues, so I think it was a right move. Wouldn't want the franchise to get in trouble just because one of the pokemons caused a controversy that was left unsolved.

Following the previous question, Abra gained a special permission to directly evolve into Alakazam in TCG*. Eventually the Abra line seems to have vanished from the TCG*. Do you think that's too much? Or was it a correct move from Nintendo*?
The vanishing part sounds sad, I think they should've kept Abra's line. I mean, the problem was just with one pokemon, but it didn't have to affect the whole evolutionary line. Ik, it feels like it was too much for me, but I also think it was a correct move.

While Jynx received a color change, Kadabra's design remained untouched. Was it fair?
He did get punished via the TCG, so I think they're a tie. It's hard to say that it was fair, since what happened with both was unfair, but sometimes, we have to apologize if we have offended unintentionally and accept it.

Which Pokémon between Jynx and Kadabra, has the worse controversy in your opinion? Did they deserve the 'punishment' they received?
Kadabra's for me. Not so much of a fan of TCG, but having one whole evolutionary line affected, that's just too much. And no, they didn't deserve punishments :( but Game Freak had little choice.

Sun

Years
  • Seen Jan 20, 2017

Well, Bulbapedia isn't an official Nintendo/Game Freak website. Sadly, they cited that infamous-psychic as Kadabra's Japanese name origin. :( It makes me wonder if they are going to change Kadabra's name into カダブラ (Ka-da-bu-ra, transliteration of Kadabra), if they lost the case.

It's interestingly, that 'bug' is still presented in Gen VI games. They could have 'fixed' Haunter and Boldore. {XD} Makes me wonder if they wanna get rid of Kadabra, yet they couldn't because it would be strange if Abra evolves into Alakazam in the core games. {XD}

Yeah, it's a bit too much since the whole evolutionary line is affected. But it can be argued that Smoochum was introduced later than Jynx, or Smoochum might be further labelled as blackface children. :'(

I just realized that Mira, one of the Stat Trainers in Gen IV games, didn't have a Kadabra with her in the anime for obvious reasons. {XD}

My fellow members, if you wanna make a new topic feel free to do so, no need for my approve; as long as the active members have answered the topics and there's no more further discussions going on with the current topic, then you can make a topic.~

P.S. Main topics can be extended with sub-topics. ;)

Years
In that case, time to take off our minds from some serious stuff. So I'm gonna introduce a little bit of a challenge here.

Create your own Psychic-type Pokemon. Tell us its name(and if it is legendary) how it looks like, what are its types*, possible abilities, summary of stats** Pokedex entry(or even a whole myth/lore surrounding it), and what makes it worth catching***. You can also introduce an evolutionary line or two evolutionary lines that cross(ex: Karrablast and Shelmet).
*If dual-type
**Tell us what is its highest stats, and lowest if needed. You can be specific if you want.
***Is it worth catching because of its moves, abilities, stats? Try to convince!

Here's mine!
Spoiler:

Sun

Years
  • Seen Jan 20, 2017
Ovnee

Basic description: An evolution form of Beheeyem.
Type: Psychic
Ability: Magic Bounce, Filter and Analytic (HA)
Stats: HP 100 - Atk 50- Def 120 - S. A 140 - S. D 125 - Spe 20
Pokédex Entry: It hunts prey through telepathic powers. Ovnee devours its prey's mind, resulting the prey to be zoned-out for life.
Why it's worth catching: It's a basically Psychic tank and its has nice Abilities.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back