• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Complaints thread

What Odd Egg did you get in Crystal?

• Pichu

Votes: 24 11.4%
  • Igglybuff

Votes: 29 13.7%
  • Cleffa

Votes: 26 12.3%
  • Magby

Votes: 27 12.8%
  • Elekid

Votes: 31 14.7%
  • Smoochum

Votes: 31 14.7%
  • Tyrogue

Votes: 27 12.8%
  • I didn't have Pokemon Crystal.

Votes: 84 39.8%

• Total voters

Ellie

Sweet Punch!
Years
  • You guys probably haven't done all the patching/encrypting that's needed then, since mine is fine.

But yeah, back to the actual games themselves, another complaint... they gave us the option to hear the GBC music, but they didn't let you get it until way late in the game, what's up with that?? We should get it like from our mom in the house or the old man in Cherrygrove.

And I agree the legendaries were a little overcrowded. I mean they did a good job of tying in the Weather Trio, but as far as I've seen, Latios/Latias there's no reasonable tying in, and the Birds are even worse. Aren't they supposed to be gone from those places since 3 years ago?? I know in both anime and game canon more than one of them exists, but come on, in the exact same spot? Also Mewtwo is even worse, there's supposed to be only 1 of him ever, and if Red caught him in Cerulean Cave 3 years ago in FrLg.. what's he doing there in HgSs? And I'm still sad about the Sevii Islands/Kris/Blue not being included, they could have made the story tied in better.

DonRoyale

Get on my choppa!
    Years
  • Since I was never a proponent for HG/SS in the first place, now that I have experience with it myself, oh, where do I begin?

-I get the logic in this, but it still pisses me off that the terrible 4th gen evolutions (Lickylicky, I'm looking at you here) are in the Johto Dex, but the actual good ones, like Gliscor, Weavile, Magmortar and Electivire AREN'T. (Also, if you use the 4th gen Eeveelutions as fuel for this argument, you fail on so many levels it's not even funny.)
    -I don't care how many of you sing its praises; half the soundtrack is a giant bucket of failsauce. Virtually every piece of music that once stood at the pinnacle of great Pokemon background music (notably the Champion Theme and the Rival Theme) have been butchered by its remake, becoming less DUN DUN DUN and more lalala~. Some of the songs are good, yes, but for the most part, bleh, sux.
    -Virtually nothing about it was changed. Sure, it's a remake, but you have 10 years worth of advancement; why are you just going to go with the same old tired formula that made Johto suck so horribly? (I'm looking at you, level 50 Dragonite)
    -The sheer amount of over-the-topness it exudes. Three sets of starters, well over half the total legendaries...like are you effing kidding me? Slow down, Jesus Christ.
    -The ROMs. Is GameFreak trying to kill its fanbase by pulling EarthBound syndrome on us?
    -Some of the moveset changes. Aqua Jet on Feraligatr? Seriously? It's a big enough threat...>_>
    -Attempting to hide what didn't change by pretending it did. (Adding names and individual looks to the Rocket Execs, making the whirpools bigger, the environments richer, the Pokemon higher lev-oh wait)

Seriously, my biggest gripe is that you can walk 10 more miles and try new puzzles, but you're fighting the same Trainers with the same weak-as-f#ck Pokemon that made Johto fail so hard.

-awaits to be burned at the stake-

Years
  • you can get spearow on the route which is north of the route that connects new bark town and cherrygrove city.
    ... and i didnt find anything to complain about yet, except for the game being slow (but d/p were even slower, since you can now activate the running shoes permanently and dont have to press the b-button all the time)

Years
    • Seen Oct 18, 2009
    Since I was never a proponent for HG/SS in the first place, now that I have experience with it myself, oh, where do I begin?

-I get the logic in this, but it still pisses me off that the terrible 4th gen evolutions (Lickylicky, I'm looking at you here) are in the Johto Dex, but the actual good ones, like Gliscor, Weavile, Magmortar and Electivire AREN'T. (Also, if you use the 4th gen Eeveelutions as fuel for this argument, you fail on so many levels it's not even funny.)
    -I don't care how many of you sing its praises; half the soundtrack is a giant bucket of failsauce. Virtually every piece of music that once stood at the pinnacle of great Pokemon background music (notably the Champion Theme and the Rival Theme) have been butchered by its remake, becoming less DUN DUN DUN and more lalala~. Some of the songs are good, yes, but for the most part, bleh, sux.
    -Virtually nothing about it was changed. Sure, it's a remake, but you have 10 years worth of advancement; why are you just going to go with the same old tired formula that made Johto suck so horribly? (I'm looking at you, level 50 Dragonite)
    -The sheer amount of over-the-topness it exudes. Three sets of starters, well over half the total legendaries...like are you effing kidding me? Slow down, Jesus Christ.
    -The ROMs. Is GameFreak trying to kill its fanbase by pulling EarthBound syndrome on us?
    -Some of the moveset changes. Aqua Jet on Feraligatr? Seriously? It's a big enough threat...>_>
    -Attempting to hide what didn't change by pretending it did. (Adding names and individual looks to the Rocket Execs, making the whirpools bigger, the environments richer, the Pokemon higher lev-oh wait)

Seriously, my biggest gripe is that you can walk 10 more miles and try new puzzles, but you're fighting the same Trainers with the same weak-as-f#ck Pokemon that made Johto fail so hard.

-awaits to be burned at the stake-

You have a few valid points, but I must disagree about the soundtrack. They did a better job with it than what they did with FRLG, and they went to the lengths of varying tempo and instruments to give what was once a (quite well sounding) melody of bleeps and bloops actual GENRES, which vary across the game. That's a pretty mean feat.

Having many starters and legends available is an excellent thing from a mechanics standpoint. The GSC starters are complete ass battle-wise, and it's taken until the 4th Gen for Feraligatr to become viable and Typhlosion to be even wirth looking at; so having other options is a godsend. And they're giving them better moves this time? That's cool, I'd hate them less if they can hold thier own...

No, just kidding. I'll always hate Meganium. Useless lump.

DonRoyale

Get on my choppa!
    Years
  • You have a few valid points, but I must disagree about the soundtrack. They did a better job with it than what they did with FRLG, and they went to the lengths of varying tempo and instruments to give what was once a (quite well sounding) melody of bleeps and bloops actual GENRES, which vary across the game. That's a pretty mean feat.

Well, this is largely due to the fact that FRLG's soundtrack was an even bigger bucket of failsauce. I thought that would have been obvious. :P

Having many starters and legends available is an excellent thing from a mechanics standpoint. The GSC starters are complete ass battle-wise, and it's taken until the 4th Gen for Feraligatr to become viable and Typhlosion to be even wirth looking at; so having other options is a godsend. And they're giving them better moves this time? That's cool, I'd hate them less if they can hold thier own...

No, just kidding. I'll always hate Meganium. Useless lump.

The 1st gen starters would like a word with you, if you please.

And Sceptile and Blaziken aren't anything too incredibly special, anyway. They're decent, at best.

Mitchman

Banned
    Years
  • Don it seems you have played it. I dunno if you noticed but while the levels are low its fixed by how effing brutal the moveset ability combos are. It took me 3 goes at Morty with a team higher leveled and properly resistant against him but still lost. And the sound track is fine. Only a few misses(like goldenrod and all of the music involving Ecruteak). Otherwise yes there is a completely ridiculous amount of over the top-ness but its for the games to set a standard for the 5th gen to be better. If not this game has all that is needed and required to be the best one. Yet.

Niprop

The Fighting Porygon Team
    Years
  • half the soundtrack is a giant bucket of failsauce. Virtually every piece of music that once stood at the pinnacle of great Pokemon background music (notably the Champion Theme and the Rival Theme) have been butchered by its remake, becoming less DUN DUN DUN and more lalala~. Some of the

Don't worry, you can change it back to the normal 8-bit soundtrack with the special Gameboy Player, after you beat the game that is! Muahahahahahaha! *Cough* *Wheeze*

In my opinion though, Gamefreak did everything right. The only thing I can really strike up is the lack of Kris, but that's minor. A
    few of the battles still seem a bit underwhelming though, even if they are slightly buffed. But over-all...Oh, I can't make an accurate opinion, I'm to biased! Heheheheheh!

Gah, they made me choke on my own words! ((X))>

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Oct 18, 2009
    Well, this is largely due to the fact that FRLG's soundtrack was an even bigger bucket of failsauce. I thought that would have been obvious. :P

The 1st gen starters would like a word with you, if you please.

And Sceptile and Blaziken aren't anything too incredibly special, anyway. They're decent, at best.

The 1 Gen starters aren't great shakes anymore, but they were extremely good utility Pokémon. Venusaur showed up all the time during Gen 3. Charizard saw less use with the introduction of Stealth Rock, but I never liked him anyway. Blastoise was kinda bad, but he could still take on more than what Meganium could manage. Maybe he can Rapid Spin those Stealth Rocks away for 'Zard.

Sceptile's speed made him the best SubSeeder in the game. Then the Phys/Spec split let him use Leaf Blade without having to dump stats into Special Attack. Ouch.
    Blaziken was always awesome as a Physical Sweeper (considering the lack of good fire types out there), but sadly Infernape was given better stats where it counts. That said, if you're not going for optimisation, the two are interchangeable and both viable.

Years
  • Actually Nintendo loses no money when we pirate, its the Stores that buy it from the Publishers that lose money.

Then i doubt you have heard of cash and goods flow, and also thought about the difference in profit from selling 1 million games and 1.1 million games.

The stores wont buy any games if they cant sell them D:

Andrew McKenzie

Supporting Pokemon Since 1999
    Years
  • Virtually every piece of music that once stood at the pinnacle of great Pokemon background music (notably the Champion Theme and the Rival Theme) have been butchered by its remake, becoming less DUN DUN DUN and more lalala~. Some of the songs are good, yes, but for the most part, bleh, sux.

That would be the reason they included the GB Player item.
    Once you find it, you can convert the music back to the old ones, and they will still play in battles, etc.
    So people who love the old music can't complain because they can get it back permanently in the game.

Aside from that, my only complaint has to the Battle Frontier.
    They could have done so much more than copy pasting it directly from Platinum.
    It has the tinyest minute differences yes but they could have done so much better.
    And Pokethlon, like why? I want my Pokemon Contests back.

I could care less for the omission of Kris from the game. Get over it, she was a CRYSTAL exclusive, not in either previous game.
    The new girl is alright. The only complaints of Kris not being in are coming from all the fanboys she has. Seriously, it's a very minor thing to get worked
    up over. Perhaps it should have been better to have not given you the choice to pick a girl at all, even though I know half of the complainies will pick Kotone as their trainer anyway. I know I have.

Superjub

Pokémon Aureolin
    Years
  • That would be the reason they included the GB Player item.
    Once you find it, you can convert the music back to the old ones, and they will still play in battles, etc.
    So people who love the old music can't complain because they can get it back permanently in the game.

Aside from that, my only complaint has to the Battle Frontier.
    They could have done so much more than copy pasting it directly from Platinum.
    It has the tinyest minute differences yes but they could have done so much better.
    And Pokethlon, like why? I want my Pokemon Contests back.

I could care less for the omission of Kris from the game. Get over it, she was a CRYSTAL exclusive, not in either previous game.
    The new girl is alright. The only complaints of Kris not being in are coming from all the fanboys she has. Seriously, it's a very minor thing to get worked
    up over. Perhaps it should have been better to have not given you the choice to pick a girl at all, even though I know half of the complainies will pick Kotone as their trainer anyway. I know I have.

Eusine was a crystal exlusive, but he's in it. :\ Though I don't mind the new girl, I will admit that I refer Kris (though I a being slightly bias, since I loved everything about crystal <3)

Anyway, I don't really have any complaints, though I will say Sabrina looks like she's gotten younger, not older, Red doesn't hav an Epspeon anymore ;_; and it seems there are too many legendaries (compared tot he originals, at least). :\

Last edited:

Finnel

Years
  • I agree with DonRoyale so much, the music is painful. Especially Goldenrod, what the hell happened?
    And yes, I know the GB Player exists, but I'll still have to suffer from the new retarded remix soundtrack before I get that item.
    Oh hey, it's you. As Superjub said, that argument isn't valid since Eusine is in the game and Suicune has plot events. I'll be playing as Gold anyway, but it'll be annoying to bump into that retarded jailbait for random events.

Mitchman

Banned
    Years
  • How are there too many legendaries? If you count out existing legendaries in DPt there are:
    The mascots-2
    The Beasts-3
    The Weather Trio-3
    The Lati@s-2
    Mewtwo
    Possibly Mew is in here as an event.
    So that's 11-12. Sure as hell lower then Pt's 21-22.

Andrew McKenzie

Supporting Pokemon Since 1999
    Years
  • I agree with DonRoyale so much, the music is painful. Especially Goldenrod, what the hell happened?
    And yes, I know the GB Player exists, but I'll still have to suffer from the new retarded remix soundtrack before I get that item.

Oh hey, it's you. As Superjub said, that argument isn't valid since Eusine is in the game and Suicune has plot events. I'll be playing as Gold anyway, but it'll be annoying to bump into that retarded jailbait for random events.

Oh hey Makku! Nice to see you!

I'm not saying that because she was Crystal exclusive that I have an arguement.
    It's not a Crystal remake, so thus it doesn't have everything Crystal has but it does have quite a few Crystal elements in the games, is all I meant.
    And yes, she is around for quite a few of the events, Kotone is.

Alucia

Random tile/map artist
    Years
    • She/Her They/Them
    • Seen Mar 19, 2024
    How are there too many legendaries? If you count out existing legendaries in DPt there are:
    The mascots-2
    The Beasts-3
    The Weather Trio-3
    The Lati@s-2
    Mewtwo
    Possibly Mew is in here as an event.
    So that's 11-12. Sure as hell lower then Pt's 21-22.

theres the birds aswell dude zapdos moltrez and articuno

Dunsparce

The Land Snake Pokemon
    Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    From having just read up on the game and not having played it, I'm a little miffed that the Radio stations haven't been expanded, and that the Frontier is a carbon copy, right down to the Brains that run them, but those are minor things.

It's a bit of a kick in the teeth for all those who were dying for Platinum just to be told that HGSS does almost everything that Plat did, and more.

There actually is a reason for them doing that.

Not because they're lazy, but because that way they can use the Battle Recorder Feature with Platinum. Having new Brains or Facilities would make it incompatable with Platinum's Battle Recorder Features.

Years
    • Seen Dec 9, 2023
    You're not alone. I hate the super low levels too, I mean, srsly, there's Lv14 Flaafy on Route 43. That's ridiculous, that's way too far in the game. What they should have done was block off the east exit of Ecruteak until you have 6 badges. That's why the levels were so low, because you were aloud to access the Lake of Rage with only 4 badges, and GameFreak didn't want us having trouble in case we forgot to visit Olivine and Cianwood. If they blocked off Ecruteak's east exit with security guards until you have 6 badges, then the levels would have been better...

Besides, it never made sense how Bruno and Lance's Pokemon got weaker since FR/LG. wtf!?!?

Back