• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Complaints thread

What Odd Egg did you get in Crystal?

• Pichu

Votes: 24 11.4%
  • Igglybuff

Votes: 29 13.7%
  • Cleffa

Votes: 26 12.3%
  • Magby

Votes: 27 12.8%
  • Elekid

Votes: 31 14.7%
  • Smoochum

Votes: 31 14.7%
  • Tyrogue

Votes: 27 12.8%
  • I didn't have Pokemon Crystal.

Votes: 84 39.8%

• Total voters

piemeup

Pokemon FAQ Master
    Years
    I hate how they re-did the crystal girls outfit as well, but what i really hated was no guides to help me! I can't read jap to start with, but the rocket tower was so annoying! The 8th gym is also rigged >.>

CloudKitteh

Gameboys are MAGICAL!
    Years
    I dislike Kotone. The only reason I dislike Kotone is her hair. It just looks really awkward. Otherwise, the rest of the game is good fantastic!

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
    We already have a thread for complaints. *merges*
    and the moonspeak, yes, I HATE the Japanese language, I only want it in english, as it is the only language I can understand, I hate having to wait til spring,

Oh, and Lucario is unobtainable without trading with DPPt, which i can't do until after the national dex, CURSE YOU LANCE!!!!!!!!!!!

One thing that really dissapointed me in HG/SS was also something that dissapointed me in the Original GSC, how Pikachu, the "beloved" franchise mascot, is unobtainable until around the very end of the game, when you have done everything else, I'd be happy if they had Pikachu a little earlier in the game, like in Ilex forest or something...
    Well the fact the games come out in Japan first is how it is for most games, and all of the Pokemon games as they make them there. =/ You'll just have to wait like the rest of us, really. (I never get why people keep calling Japanese moonspeak, but meh).

Pretty sure you can get Riolu from the Safari Zone in Johto after unlocking stuff, and upon checking you can. You can also trade straightway with D/P/Pt after you get the normal Pokedex - i.e. no need to beat the Elite Four or anything like that to trade with those games, you can do it very early in the game.

And if they have a Pokewalker event for Pikachu everywhere else when the game comes out outside of Japan akin to Japan, Pikachu will also be obtainable very early on via the Pokewalker which'll come with the games assuming you have WiFi to download the event.

WhiteTux

[G]reen_[L]antern
    Years
    We already have a thread for complaints. *merges*

Well the fact the games come out in Japan first is how it is for most games, and all of the Pokemon games as they make them there. =/ You'll just have to wait like the rest of us, really. (I never get why people keep calling Japanese moonspeak, but meh).

Pretty sure you can get Riolu from the Safari Zone in Johto after unlocking stuff, and upon checking you can. You can also trade straightway with D/P/Pt after you get the normal Pokedex - i.e. no need to beat the Elite Four or anything like that to trade with those games, you can do it very early in the game.

And if they have a Pokewalker event for Pikachu everywhere else when the game comes out outside of Japan akin to Japan, Pikachu will also be obtainable very early on via the Pokewalker which'll come with the games assuming you have WiFi to download the event.

yea yea, your right. you can the pokemon, but way more events.

kazuya.

Ev'rybody Alright!
    Years
    Oh well at this point I don't really have a complaint with HG/SS. (Then why are you posting here!?)

Its partner following function totally wins my heart, and the phone function to rematch gym leaders could be abused to the point that I could raise my Pokemon with ease.

I'm a very happy guy (at least for now).

WhiteTux

[G]reen_[L]antern
    Years
    I dislike, how some Pokemon can follow you. Like pokemon only found in water. Or Arceus, who should like in heaven(?). Or, say, goldeen. XD. Yea, that bothered me a bit.

Guy

just a guy
    Years
    Ummm.... Maybe the fact that you still can't get celebi... Even in johto... I mean seriously...
    Celebi was expected not to be placed into the game, at least not free handedly like Lugia and Ho-Oh are. The reason why is because a Pokémon like Celebi can be used for game promotion purposes by being held through an event either store located or over Wi-Fi. Game Freak is a business and they are out to achieve money, and with the new release of the games I wouldn't be surprised to see a Celebi event behing held once again. This will pursuade more fans to purchase the game if they really want Celebi, or just because it is a rare Pokémon. Regardless, Celebi just isn't a Pokémon to be easily given out to everyone, or else it defeats the purpose of it being so exclusive. Lugia and Ho-Oh are a different case in this example however, in which they are each game's version mascot.

I dislike, how some Pokemon can follow you. Like pokemon only found in water. Or Arceus, who should like in heaven(?). Or, say, goldeen. XD. Yea, that bothered me a bit.
    Actually, all 493 Pokémon are able to follow you, ranging from Bulbasaur to Arceus, including shinies and different forms. It's better they kept it this way, because if they allowed only a certain variety of Pokémon be allowed to stay outside, then it could rise a conflict amongst fans saying it isn't fair.

The only downside to this is that the following feature is not optional like some may have wanted it to be. However, if the Pokémon is too large to be in a building then it is returned inside its Pokéball, and if the user is riding their bike, then the Pokémon is also returned to their Pokéball. So, under certain circamstances is the following feature turned off.

Ningamer

Mine is mine, yours is too!
    Years
    Is it me, or are there way too many wild Pokémon? If you have Soul Silver you'll be bombarded with Pokémon unless you have repels (Surfing to the Whirl Islands, and wandering around them sees loads of Pokémon!).

Also, on Soul Silver, in the cutscene when Lugia bursts out of the waterfall there's a slight graphical glitch. There's a little rectangle slightly above center-screen where it glitches a little bit.

Leader Soulja Boy

Batesville Gym Leader
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Dec 16, 2011
    Gym Leader and Elite Four Levels

Well the game came out and I'm a bit dissappointed the Gyms and E4 are still underleved like in GSC.

Falkner gets a decent level boost, but his Pidgeotto is still illegal.

Bugsy's 1 level boost didn't add much challenge.

Whitney is actually weaker, wow what a shame.

Morty: Exactly the same.

Chuck: Same.

Jasmine: Same.

Pyrce: Levels now match Jasmine's which is sort of a good thing.

Clair: A slight level and team change that's it.

The E4/Champ is exactly the same as before.

Now when you get to Kanto it gets better. Though not perfect, I'm glad the Kanto Gym Leaders aren't all weaker than Lance level wise.

I was also annoyed that they took Dream Eater off of Morty's Haunter. And why was Whitney's Miltank able to hit my Gastlty with a Normal move?

Years
    • Seen Jul 28, 2023
    Hmm...I know you have some complaints about the levels but you can eventually refight everybody with much stronger teams. Plus I thought the visuals of this game were just stunning.

Guy

just a guy
    Years
    Like said above, even though the Gym Leaders and Elite levels weren't all that impressive at the start or throughout, there are still rematches involved later on in the game. Yes, this also does include a shift in the rosters of the Leaders too. Regardless, it isn't all to be hated down upon because there were new moves and abilities put into play unlike before, which gave some a twist in battle.

Like you mentioned, Whitney's Miltank was able to affect your ghost type Pokémon. Well, this is simply because of its new ability, Scrappy, which interestingly allows it's Normal-Type moves to affect Ghost-Type foes.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
    Sounds like a complaint - hence merged with the Complaints thread.

IDK about the levels being too much of a problem - after all with stuff like new moves (Scizor with U-turn) and abilities (Morty's ghosts having Levitate and hence a weakness turned into an immunity), they in cases pose more of a challenge. That and the games are aimed at young kids after all - as much as we'd like a challenge, the levels are that way for a reason. (At least we have rematches this time around).

Years
    I disliked how there are some pokemon that can only be evolved in DPPt areas.

How is this a HGSS complaint? It means they cannot be obtained in HGSS :/

Although it may be asking tpo much to have a system where those pokemon evolve in other places (like Mt. Silver).

Last edited:

Dashi_sato

New ROMhacker
    Years
    The New Girl "Kotone" Sucks.

Her hat is so stupid. she looks dumb. failed attempt at being cool.
    THE GAMES WRE NOT CALLED POKEMON GOLD SILVER AND KOTONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyone else ave opinions on this matter?

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
    I do - one, you're far from the first to say that Kotone sucks where did Krys/Crys/Whatever go or a variation of that. =P

Two, this is a complaint - hence, merging with this complaint thread of joy. *merges*
    THE GAMES WRE NOT CALLED POKEMON GOLD SILVER AND KOTONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    But if these games are called HeartGold/SoulSilver, be thankful they went with the name of Kotone (leastways in the Japanese version) over Heart and Soul for the characters' names at least. =P

Phaux

Legend Hunter
    Years
    I have to agree, that I don't like Kotone, the removal of Krystal doesn't make much sense, and I think she looks better than Kotone anyway...
    However, that's nowhere near enough for me to think twice about getting one of these games when they come out here.

Would still prefer Krystal...

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
    Ah, Kotone sure brings the best out of people, clearly. Post without insulting each other over opinions with a video game character having replaced another, please. Like her or hate her, she's in no matter what and she does have plenty of fans already so no need to say 'nobody likes her' either - and on the flip side, there's nothing wrong with preferring Crys if you don't try to force your opinion on everyone as well.

Really, such things are subjective, so people are going to like her or hate her, simple as that.

hectord25

It's so Dark here
    Years
    • Seen Jul 14, 2016
    Why?She`s pretty,but,the "new"character in the game never have changed the original game`s history,i have played Heartgold and soulsilver,and those are awesones remakes.Nintendo made
    a good job.

Phaux

Legend Hunter
    Years
    Why?She`s pretty,but,the "new"character in the game never have changed the original game`s history,i have played Heartgold and soulsilver,and those are awesones remakes.Nintendo made
    a good job.

Well I can't and won't speak for everyone, but the reason I dislike the new female character is that she's uneeded, Krystal has no real reason to be left out and it just seems like a useless change.

Back