• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Ever ditched your starter?

Have you ever stopped using your starter? (lolpun)

• Yes, rattata/bidoof/sentret/zigzagoon make way better starters!

Votes: 27 30.7%
  • No, I lubz mah starterz.

Votes: 61 69.3%

• Total voters

LMPVIII

Now accepting B/W battles
Years
    • Age 30
    • NY
    • Seen Mar 12, 2011
    nah. ive never ditched my starter. i always feel bad when i think about it. =P

Years
    • Seen Jun 24, 2011
    I usually don't, about 25% of the time I ditch the starter. I usually like my starter haha.

Years
  • I've ditched my starter in Platinum for the same reason as the OP...

In Soulsilver I ditched my starter for the challenge of having to make a balanced team instead (I chose Chikorita, and it went to the box right after I got that pidgey)

Technical

Professional Slowpoke • • »
    Years
    • Seen Dec 22, 2009
    I never could draw myself to get rid of them. xD I always felt bad. And I always seem to use just my starter through half of the game since it levels so fast, but of course, then I am left badly when I get to the elite four or such.

And I always found at least the water starters had use! I liked to use alot of HM's with them, but of course, you can always catch water type wild Pokemon. In the end, I have never discarded one because of pure guilt; and I grow rather attatched. xD

Haza

☆A Life of Pokémon and Beyoncé ☆
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    I hate starter Pokemon so I always eventually ditch them by the Pokemon League.

TimeDialga33

Go Chickorita!
    Years
  • the only time i ditched my starter was when i traded mine for a staravia and then i caught a Machop & trained it when i was playing Pokemon Platinum Version.

Converge

Take One Last Breath
    Years
  • I usually do my first playthrough,
    but since Gen 2 i havent really liked many of the startes with the exception of mudkip

Spikey-Eared Pichu

Pichu-pi!
    Years
  • Never. The starters, no matter how much I dislike one's physical appearance (Mudkip), never disappoint me. I can't bring myself to get rid of them because it's part of the versions themselves. It's like, you pick Bulbasaur in Red Version and ditch it cause you didn't like the turn out...good work, you've gotten rid of the only starter you could get, and it was your first Pokemon, shame. Even in games where you can get a second from one of the other regions, I still don't ditch my starter. I think I've done a playthrough using every starter Pokemon except Mudkip...

Solo_Kid

Ridin' Solo !!
    Years
  • I've never ditched my starter although I do regret choosing a certain one at times.

Playing through the story, I'll never deposit my starter, it would always be in my team. After that, it wouldn't be in my main team very often.

Hacky

Who knows who <- is?
    Years
    • Seen Dec 5, 2011
    I'd have never EVER ditched my beloved Typhlosion (although while trying to get a female Cyndaquil I got a ton of males and released some) before by accidental bug it was deleted.

If I had D/P/Pt I'd trade Chimchar (the one I'd ever take from those three) away quicker than you can say: "Farfetch'd"

Years
    • Seen Dec 17, 2009
    I've never ditched my starters, love Squirtle, Totodile and Piplup. Pikachu is just plain awesome too. Water type starters have never failed my needs, and Pikachu was weaker than the rest, but he is still quite strong, and he alone trashed Misty.

Tears In The Rain

Thirsty, purposeless Vampire
    Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen Sep 15, 2010
    Once, in my late Silver file I ditched my feraligator soon after it fully evolved. I don't remember at what point exactly. I seem to remember having it when I beat Whitney and then when I received surf from the Eevee sisters. So it was somewhere around then.

I then took it back however much later once I was finished with the whole journey I am pretty sure Kanto and all.

Years
    • Seen Oct 7, 2019
    I traded my Starter off for a level 5 Dratini once. Best ever. "Wheres your first pokemon?" "Right there." "Thats a Dragonite...." "Oh, I know <3." ^^ I love me some dragon types

nokyo-chan

Oatmeal? Are you CRAZY?!
    Years
  • NO!!! I am so weird...I have a fierce sense of loyalty to my starter, whether I like my choice or not. If halfway through the game, I'm like, "Ugh, I shouldn't have chosen Treeko..." I stick with Treeko anyway. I even have a sense of loyalty to the Pokemon I level up. I can't level something up to Lv. 30 and then stick it in a box to rot. It grates on my conscience.

Years
  • NO!!! I am so weird...I have a fierce sense of loyalty to my starter, whether I like my choice or not. If halfway through the game, I'm like, "Ugh, I shouldn't have chosen Treeko..." I stick with Treeko anyway. I even have a sense of loyalty to the Pokemon I level up. I can't level something up to Lv. 30 and then stick it in a box to rot. It grates on my conscience.

I don't like leaving pokemon to rot in the PC either. For me it's because you spend so much work leveling them up and training them just right, and it seems like a waste to never use them again once you do all that.

Back