• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: General Roleplay Discussion Thread "the RPD" (archived)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Seen Jan 31, 2023
    Depends on what you come up with really. I know people (myself included) who prefer original RPs to existing world based RPs. Generally they are harder to come to fruition since you're setting up a new world, but the creativity some people have can bring about amazing looking RPs (as gimmepie pointed out Tinted, for example).

Yeah, same here. I usually do tend to go for original RPs. I don't know why, I just do lol. Maybe 'cus it feels 'better' I guess?

Other note: Someone should do a Persona RP 0.0

Years
    • Seen Jul 18, 2016
    Happy 4th to all my fellow Americans (and anyone else who is celebrating it.)

Yeah, I think I love original RPs because you know the GM has put a lot of time, effort, and dedication into it (not saying other GMs do not, but an original RP does take a lot of work to pull off.) Especially, if they're High Fantasy or like steampunk genres, I always, always join those in a heart beat.

And, I just released a new RP, The Exalted Ones about two countries deadlocked in a war and involves magic. It's not your typical magic/war RP, sort of a different take on it, but I'd love for you to check it out and tell me what you think even if it isn't your sort of RP, thanks! :)

Reactions: SV

Xilfer

Just won't die.
    Years
  • Hmm, well whether an RP is interesting or not depends on personal preference, I suppose. Like, there's lots of amazingtastic RPs around here that I didn't join, simply because the plot didn't appeal so much to me. However, that doesn't mean they aren't amazingtastic. As for what's generally preferred, from personal experience, I find that existing-world RPs tend to appeal more to the public for some reason. I suspect it's because it's a world that whoever's joining likely already has an understanding of, so they feel more comfortable with it. Original worlds can be hard to grasp (well, again, depends, but if it's truly original it is generally a new concept to the player) so perhaps you need more of an open mind.

I dunno, just my guess on the matter.

Other note: Someone should do a Persona RP 0.0

OMFG YES

Nakuzami

[img]https://i.imgur.com/iwlpePA.png[/img]
    Years
  • It was called Steampunk'd, GMed by Skymin. Although it looks like the thread was deleted.

THAT WAS THE NAME I LOOKED FOR AND I LOOKED THROUGH SKYMIN'S THREADS AND I GOT CONFUSED BECAUSE IT WASN'T THERE AND I THOUGH I WAS GOING CRAZY.

Anyways, when it comes to roleplays I like both original roleplays and roleplays based off of something equally. To me it really doesn't matter if it's completely original or something made to appeal to a certain fandom; if it has a good story, it has a good story. In my experiences it's actually a lot easier to come up with something original than to do something like a pokémon roleplay, because there's no pre-existing boundaries or rules that you have to adhere to when making it. So if you want to get creative, get creative with anything. I won't discriminate.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    I think I'm most attracted to roleplays with original plots set in existing worlds. Strangely enough I mostly make journey RPs myself haha, but as a player I mean.

Then again, it 's not set in stone. I'll join anything that looks well thought out enough in a setting I feel familiar enough with, if I have time for more RPs :)

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 17, 2023
    It doesn't bother me whether something is truly original or not - as long as I can clearly visualise the world and don't feel like I'm thinking of something different to other players/GMs then it's all good!

Original RPs do have the difficulty in overcoming that, and having to provide a lot of information to keep everyone on the same page. Meanwhile, Pokemon-related RPs tend to have similarities in terms of laws of the world/fights/etc. which does make them easier to manage and play. imo.

Years
    • Age 31
    • AU
    • Seen Feb 18, 2023
    Like... would it be possible to mix steampunk and pokémon?

It was called Steampunk'd, GMed by Skymin. Although it looks like the thread was deleted.

THAT WAS THE NAME I LOOKED FOR AND I LOOKED THROUGH SKYMIN'S THREADS AND I GOT CONFUSED BECAUSE IT WASN'T THERE AND I THOUGH I WAS GOING CRAZY.

EXCUSE ME IM RIGHT HERE *stamps foot* I MADE A STEAMPUNK POKEMON ROLEPLAY AND IT WORKED GREAT *stamps foot more*

but yeah it was deleted by admins because one of the attachments had malware apparently lol. you can still see it rika tho

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 17, 2023
    Pretty sure Ray had a pokemon/steampunk RP too - although might have been more industrialised, thinking about it XD.

Medieval/Pokemon has been done a few times too - I know I tried it with Game of Pokemon a while back.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    EXCUSE ME IM RIGHT HERE *stamps foot* I MADE A STEAMPUNK POKEMON ROLEPLAY AND IT WORKED GREAT *stamps foot more*

but yeah it was deleted by admins because one of the attachments had malware apparently lol. you can still see it rika tho
    I know, I remember it :p Cute steampunk wings on Charmander and all! My question was more for asking if anybody had good ideas at this day and age.

Years
    • Seen Aug 6, 2015
    I'm kinda new to the site, but I was wondering if anyone was up for a animesque music/band roleplay. I do hope this is the right spot for this or else I will feel stupid.

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    Okay guys. I'm confused. I would love some of you more active role-players to respond to this.

I've role-played before on other forums. These were forums that were entirely dedicated to a particular plot, and members would sign up because they were intrigued by the plot.

Then they would post threads in particular settings, in particular forums within that site that were based on location (example: scenes in a graveyard would go in the graveyard forum, scenes in the high school english class would go in the english class forum, and so on and so on). They interacted with each other.

I've read a few role-plays here and I noticed that that's not what happens here.

Everyone tells their own stories, and rarely ever does a member interact with another member within the role-play.

Why? I don't understand.

I really want to get into roleplaying here, but if that's the way that people role-play, I don't understand why they don't just create their own short story and post it in the writing forum.

I don't mean at all to bash you guys. That's not my intention, and I thoroughly enjoy reading your work. I just don't understand.

Greiger

A mad mind... hehe
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Oct 1, 2023
    @Arago It's just how it works here to be honest. I've seen those sites too, but here at PC we enjoy making multiple worlds instead of one large world. The reason mostly being that you may want to experience other things besides pokemon 24/7. If you do a certain rp 24/7 then you get burn out, with multiple rps not only do you have many people who are testing out writing abilities by being GMs as well as players, but you also get to experience all sorts of new ideas from different settings.

Not only that, but there's going to be fan rps such as zelda and other franchises that cause just as much interest, so it's basically a good way to just differentiate and have fun.

@TheGDeer I think we've had a band roleplay in the past, but I'm sure there will be some members here who would be intrigued by the idea and you are posting in the right place! By the way, welcome to the RP corner!

Edit: I did see you mention about people doing solo posts, but that's not how most happen. The characters in the posts can actually be jps and I myself tend to jp with others quite often. Basically you construct a post together and then one person will post the results.

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    @Arago It's just how it works here to be honest. I've seen those sites too, but here at PC we enjoy making multiple worlds instead of one large world. The reason mostly being that you may want to experience other things besides pokemon 24/7. If you do a certain rp 24/7 then you get burn out, with multiple rps not only do you have many people who are testing out writing abilities by being GMs as well as players, but you also get to experience all sorts of new ideas from different settings.

Not only that, but there's going to be fan rps such as zelda and other franchises that cause just as much interest, so it's basically a good way to just differentiate and have fun.

@TheGDeer I think we've had a band roleplay in the past, but I'm sure there will be some members here who would be intrigued by the idea and you are posting in the right place! By the way, welcome to the RP corner!
    I'm sorry. I don't really understand your explanation. :(

Threads on the forums that I've been a part of were mostly limited to a few individuals. The thread itself would clearly say in the title who would be participating, if it was open to everyone, and so on and so forth. If we (as in, you and I) were participating in a thread, my character would do something, and then you would have your character interact with mine, and then we would sort of play off each other until we were done and then we would move our character elsewhere and interact with either each other again, or another character altogether.

I realize that would get messy here, though, given how the forum is set up. But we would still be reacting within the designated plot that was given to us. There would be NPCs that we would control in our own posts - that weren't characters played by anyone, but ones we made up on the spot and would control. I see that happening a lot here. I guess I just don't understand why you guys don't interact with each other, because in my mind that's where the fun in roleplaying is. Being able to play off with another member rather than explore the world on your own.

Nakuzami

Years
  • Everyone tells their own stories, and rarely ever does a member interact with another member within the role-play.

Well that part isn't really true at all. A lot of interaction goes on between characters. It depends on the roleplay, but there's not a single roleplay where the characters never interact at all. Heck, some roleplays require almost 24/7 interaction. It just depends on what suits your style.

And basically what Greiger said. The diversity keeps it fun. I think I'd honestly be bored out of my mind on a site like the one you just described.

Also, roleplays here are open for anyone to sign up. We don't restrict it to certain people—that would be lame. :C

and, @TheGDeer - this is most certainly the right place to ask about that! And while I personally wouldn't join a roleplay like that at this time, I believe there would be a couple of people that might be interested in such a roleplay.

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    Okay I'm getting frustrated because I feel like you guys are misinterpreting the examples I gave.

Nakuzami

Years
  • Okay I'm getting frustrated because I feel like you guys are misinterpreting the examples I gave.

Then try and explain them more? :C

From what I understand, the site you're talking about had a forum split up into multiple "areas" of one giant world, and when someone posted a new roleplay they would have it already determined who would be in it before it started, and from then on they'd be the only ones interacting in it. They would control their own characters and NPCs, and would interact with the other person in the roleplay the whole time.

Here our roleplays are all standalone, unless someone so chooses to create sequels, prequels, or sister roleplays. We also control characters, but only the ones that we sign up as, and NPCs if the roleplay allows it. We do our own thing, yes, but we also interact with each other—anything to further the plot and character relationships.

SV

See You Space Cowboy
    Years
    • Seen Feb 7, 2022
    Okay guys. I'm confused. I would love some of you more active role-players to respond to this.

I've role-played before on other forums. These were forums that were entirely dedicated to a particular plot, and members would sign up because they were intrigued by the plot.

Then they would post threads in particular settings, in particular forums within that site that were based on location (example: scenes in a graveyard would go in the graveyard forum, scenes in the high school english class would go in the english class forum, and so on and so on). They interacted with each other.

I've read a few role-plays here and I noticed that that's not what happens here.

Everyone tells their own stories, and rarely ever does a member interact with another member within the role-play.

Why? I don't understand.

I really want to get into roleplaying here, but if that's the way that people role-play, I don't understand why they don't just create their own short story and post it in the writing forum.

I don't mean at all to bash you guys. That's not my intention, and I thoroughly enjoy reading your work. I just don't understand.

Hey bro.

Check out this thread here, my new RP I just released. So far, except for probably 1 or 2 posts thus far, every single post is what we here refer to as a JP, or joint post, which is basically where two or more Roleplayers' characters interact with each other. We set up a pad, and we collaborate together to make the post. Thus far, it's all been interaction between characters. And when they finish their reaction, one of the JP-participants post the post.

So yeah, to say no RPs exist without any interaction isn't exactly true. I guess each Roleplay simply has a different style though.

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    Then try and explain them more? :C

From what I understand, the site you're talking about had a forum split up into multiple "areas" of one giant world, and when someone posted a new roleplay they would have it already determined who would be in it before it started, and from then on they'd be the only ones interacting in it. They would control their own characters and NPCs, and would interact with the other person in the roleplay the whole time.

Here our roleplays are all standalone, unless someone so chooses to create sequels, prequels, or sister roleplays. We also control characters, but only the ones that we sign up as, and NPCs if the roleplay allows it. We do our own thing, yes, but we also interact with each other—anything to further the plot and character relationships.
    I'll try to explain a little more.

The site was just like these role-play plots here, but expanded on a grander scale. Just imagine a role-play that you created having a site dedicated to the plot you created. That's really all it was. If you wanted to take part in the role-play, then you would register an account and create a character. If you grew bored of the plot, then you left the site or focused on something else within the site. It was as simple as that.

After you made your character, you would participate in the role-play as your character just as you would here. You were free to have NPCs just as some role-plays allow here as well. You were free to create your own problems with your characters, and your own sub-plots, so long as they made sense within that world. If the site was a role-play based on Harry Potter, you couldn't introduce elements of the Pokémon world in it, you know? But you were free to create your own dynamics so long as it was within that world. And I see that done here by the role-players, so that really isn't the point I'm trying to make.

I guess the major difference I've noticed between the two is that most of the role-players here interact primarily within their own world, I guess I should say. They're within the plot, but almost their entire post is dedicated to the characters they create.

I know that you guys interact with each other from time to time, but for the most part - at least the role-plays I've read - interactions are primarily within the poster's characters, and the interaction with characters that other members created are much less seen.

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    My apologies. Please disregard my concerns. Nakuzami explained that you guys collaborate together and then one of you posts your collaboration on your own. That's pretty much what I was getting at in my post, but I must have just been not paying much attention to reading particular threads.

Please ignore me! TEHEHEHEH

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back