• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Global Warming

Do you think it will be possible to reduce the Global Warming?

• Yes

Votes: 37 47.4%
  • No

Votes: 9 11.5%
  • Maybe

Votes: 23 29.5%
  • Are you crazy, man?!?

Votes: 9 11.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
Years
  • I have read it, and I can only see an opinion, not any scientifical proof. If I start asking for signatures so a million of people say tomatoes are orange I wouldn't be proving anything. Meanwhile, Dead Sea is at its lowest point, an the ice in the North of canada is so melted that you can now cross from Alaska to Groenland by ship. According to recents studies, the CO2 level in the athsmosphere is of 379 parts per million, the highest level since it's counted.
    I can't understand how rising the CO2 level can be good for the planet, but I think we wouldn't lose anything for reducing the amount of CO2 we throw to the athmosphere, would we?

Sgt. Custard

Novice Hacker
    Years
  • Something else very interesting: a 2007 paper by David Archibald on global warming. Now its quite long, but I advise you to read it. Its got lots of graphs and other perfecly qualified information against global warming.

Actually, personally, I disagree with the statement that CO2 and all that goes with it (i.e. pollution)its GOOD for the planet (though on its own it probably is), I mean, other forms of pollution causing smogs and poisonous carbon monoxide are of course not good, but as we get more efficient, we can use cleaner processes and of course eventually, we will need renewables because supplies will run out. I'm all for that. I want to make it quite clear that I'm not saying all this because I don't want to bother to reduce my electricity and car use: I do. But putting loads of taxpayers money into global warming prevention is not worth it: demand for renewables will grow as prices rise and stocks are shorter. Instead, for the moment, we should put more money into education and healthcare, and focus on more pressing environmental issues, such as recycling and landfill, poaching and illegal fishing. These are all in my opinion far more important and the government encourages any exaggeration of the global warming issue, because they feel it justifies them in taking the easy, and vote-grabbing option of giving money to scientists to prove global warming more, rather than using it for more productive, admittedly harder to implement purposes.

Sorry for the rant...

Last edited:

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
    Years
  • Ok. Wonderful. I take my hat off to you. I will keep believing what I believe (because there are still evidence suppoering it)... But I must say that's what I call a proof.

DR.MUNCHLAX

Just passing by.
    Years
  • Stop right there, MysticManyula! You know that global warming is nothing but utter bullcrap science! You See, I have a list of scientists backed by big oil who all state that you're full of doggy donuts! Admit it!

To a serious note though. I do believe global warming is a problem.
    I am not too sure if humanity truly cares about it though.
    It would seem that most people are happy with how they are living and could care less about the unwanted effects to the earth they are causing.
    In short, I think that this problem will only get worse.
    And once it is impossible to fix the problem, that is when people will want to do something about it.
    But that is only my opinion of course.

Erimgard

Rocket's Revenge
    Years
  • Stop right there, MysticManyula! You know that global warming is nothing but utter bullcrap science! You See, I have a list of scientists backed by big oil who all state that you're full of doggy donuts! Admit it!
    I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess you're being sarcastic ;)
    that said, how is research funded by an oil company any more biased than research funded by, say, an extremist environmentalist group?
    fact is, all humans are biased, and we all think we aren't.
    in the words of Michael Crichton "Everyone has an agenda. Except me"

I don't exactly see you posting any facts. just opinions and sarcasm. if you're going to support something, at least have a reason to. you may not agree with alex, but at least he's doing his best to look objectively at things and search for facts instead of relying on the media or personal bias

Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2013
    Ok, I really found an interesting text in one of my schoolbooks, but it is in Dutch. I'll post both texts (Dutch and (Babelfish) English) here:

NOTE: ONLY click the texts you can read...they're very, VERY long. I also removed some parts which contain stories about the Middle Ages where the world was warmer etc. and that in 1300 there was a Small Ice Age that the world is still recovering from. Also, I skipped the ending of the text, which contains nothing new.

Dutch:
    Spoiler:

Here is the English Babelfish version, so if you have any questions about some words that are translated strangely, ask me ;).
    Here it is:

Spoiler:

I read some parts myself, and there are really bad translated, but I hope you can read it :\

~Cya, UnitRico

Lady Nicole

hello o.o
    Years
  • Global Warming is a load of rubbish. The Earth has been warming up ever since the last Ice Age. It's natural.

Dude, the Earth is supposed to be cooling down. Haven't you noticed the fact that the Earth is the only rocky planet in our Solar system that has life?

And why do you think that is, in terms of heat?

Well let's see...the Earth is the largest of the rocky planets in our Solar system, meaning that it has a smaller surface area in proportion to volume than the other rocky planets. Therefore it is the only one which still has internal heat left since a smaller surface area implies a slower rate of heat-loss. This heat came from the original collisions of its formation and the radioactive heavy elements are a small but significant part of its composition since they help to maintain the internal heat of the Earth. However, although we are supposed to be radiating heat naturally out into space like the other rocky planets, it is being trapped within the atmosphere of the Earth. So we are getting the heat from the Sun trapped in our atmosphere and we are maintaining internal heat. This is most certainly not natural.

Have you noticed what has happened to Venus?

Although Venus is nearly the same size as the Earth (about 80%) and its core is frozen, it's mean surface temperature is 464 degrees Celcius, which is even hotter than the surface of airless Mercury. It is veiled in a thick, all-enveloping atmosphere of carbon dioxide and sulphur dioxide. This is why the volcanic activity on Venus is so vicious, even though it doesn't have any tectonic plates which, as I remind myself, is probably one of the reasons why it got that atmosphere in the first place.

But what about Earth?

Earth has tectonic plates, which of course cause earthquakes, volcanic activity and mountain ranges. As the largest terrestrial planet in our Solar system, it has a hot interior and an awful lot of energy to drive the tectonic plates. The hotter the Earth is, the more volcanic activity and earthquakes there are. Tectonic plates and global warming - NOT a good combination, as you can imagine. The way we are going, our atmosphere is gradually getting like that of Venus.

However...

I think (and this is just me thinking now) that nuclear scientists should be trying to form nuclear fission reactions where the fission fragments are oxygen. If we could just get some more oxygen into the air I think that would help a lot. So I do think it's possible to prevent global warming, but I don't think our current technology is quite good enough to do such things yet.

But no. Instead of concentrating on that, the government is more worried about finding a place to bury the exceedingly radioactive (and I cannot possibly express just how radioactive these are) fission fragments formed from uranium as a result of nuclear power.

Erimgard

Rocket's Revenge
    Years
  • venus also happens to be much closer to the sun than earth. we'd be a little toasty if we were that close too.
    and once again, provide any reliable proof that global warming has increased as a cause of human waste

Lady Nicole

hello o.o
    Years
  • venus also happens to be much closer to the sun than earth. we'd be a little toasty if we were that close too.
    and once again, provide any reliable proof that global warming has increased as a cause of human waste

Venus is hotter than Mercury, which is closer to the Sun. Did I mention the core of Venus is frozen?

[EDIT: Might I add, Venus is MUCH hotter than Mercury. The average surface temperature of Venus is 464 degrees Celsius, whereas the average surface temperature of Mercury is only 130 degrees Celsius.]

Venus isn't that much closer to the Sun than the Earth. And also, Venus and Earth are the closest planets in the solar system. Where Venus is 107000km from the Sun, Earth is 149000km from the Sun. That makes Venus and Earth only 42000km away from each other. And that is a relatively small distance considering the distances the other terrestrial planets are from each other and the Sun.

And by the way, I don't know any facts about "global warming" as such lol I only know the physics behind it.

Years
    • Seen Feb 16, 2020
    I think (and this is just me thinking now) that nuclear scientists should be trying to form nuclear fission reactions where the fission fragments are oxygen. If we could just get some more oxygen into the air I think that would help a lot. So I do think it's possible to prevent global warming, but I don't think our current technology is quite good enough to do such things yet.

But no. Instead of concentrating on that, the government is more worried about finding a place to bury the exceedingly radioactive (and I cannot possibly express just how radioactive these are) fission fragments formed from uranium as a result of nuclear power.

Beautifully well-phrased post, but I just want to add that with our current technology, if we all made an effort we could reduce the effects of Global Warming by 90%. That's a big difference, believe it or not.

Erimgard

Rocket's Revenge
    Years
  • Venus is hotter than Mercury, which is closer to the Sun. Did I mention the core of Venus is frozen?

[EDIT: Might I add, Venus is MUCH hotter than Mercury. The average surface temperature of Venus is 464 degrees Celsius, whereas the average surface temperature of Mercury is only 130 degrees Celsius.]

Venus isn't that much closer to the Sun than the Earth. And also, Venus and Earth are the closest planets in the solar system. Where Venus is 107000km from the Sun, Earth is 149000km from the Sun. That makes Venus and Earth only 42000km away from each other. And that is a relatively small distance considering the distances the other terrestrial planets are from each other and the Sun.

And by the way, I don't know any facts about "global warming" as such lol I only know the physics behind it.
    ...I believer your measurements are off. Earth is way more than 149,000 kilometers away from the sun o.0

I see the point you are trying to make with venus, but as I've been saying this whole thread...you can make arguments for why global warming COULD happen, but statistically..it's not happening at an unnatural rate

Lady Nicole

hello o.o
    Years
  • ...I believer your measurements are off. Earth is way more than 149,000 kilometers away from the sun o.0

I see the point you are trying to make with venus, but as I've been saying this whole thread...you can make arguments for why global warming COULD happen, but statistically..it's not happening at an unnatural rate

Jesus, I meant MILLION KM! Everything is measure like that in tables when you're talking large scale. Like when you talk about the price of a house. No-one says 800000 dollars, they say 800.
    And Venus's atmosphere is like that for natural reasons. I'm only stating the physics here, I don't want to start an argument.

Merzbau

it's just a ride.
    Years
  • Hm, can we slow it? Yes.

Can we stop it? Hell no.

We're eventually just gonna die off thanks to it.

Anybody who thinks it can be stopped completely is a fool.

Besides, we've got enough social/moral/religious/personal/political/biological problems. Don't you think we should solve them first?

For more info on global warming, look up some videos by George Carlin on YouTube. (NSFW, but whatevs)

Erimgard

Rocket's Revenge
    Years
  • Jesus, I meant MILLION KM! Everything is measure like that in tables when you're talking large scale. Like when you talk about the price of a house. No-one says 800000 dollars, they say 800.
    And Venus's atmosphere is like that for natural reasons. I'm only stating the physics here, I don't want to start an argument.

I figured it was something like that. sorry for the confusion

Lady Nicole

hello o.o
    Years
  • Dude, Erimgard, I'm so sorry if I was being really moody and everything. Don't take it the wrong way, I don't mean to be negative towards anyone. I just assumed everyone knew I means million km cos that's what I mean in my own head and I got angry with myself for being so stupid :P

Lady Nicole

hello o.o
    Years
  • Woah, I can't believe how calm you are. I feel so embarrassed with myself.
    And yes, I think it was one of those moments :laugh:

Richard Lynch

Professor Lynch
    Years
  • The science of Global Warming isn't exactly needed... because the jury is out. Among even mildly educated people, Global Warming is a fact. Any attempts to prove otherwise means twisting numbers.

What we really should be fighting for is the politics of the issue. The only reason scientists haven't been able to research more into preventing it, or ways to do it, is because of these overweight, overfed, overpaid Capitalist pigs that run monopoly companies (mainly gas companies) and have politicians in their front pocket. And that leads to budgets being cut, or not even given, and stops any real try to fund research into these things. Their motive for destroying the Earth? More money. That's all this is about. Money.

I, personally, have very little hope for this country when it comes to Global Warming, because we can't really do anything. Any attempt at free speech is stifled by the Government, as is any attempt at autonomy. This isn't a free country, people, we have owners. And these owners are called the Elites, a term Noam Chomsky coined. It's roughly 2% of the population, and they own everything.

So while there is a chance to stop Global Warming, don't expect it to happen any time soon. The only way to reverse how things are in this world is to actually stand up and fight against these businessmen who sell us stuff we don't need for money we don't have.

Want to end Global Warming? You've gotta start by ending our ownership by Capitalist slobs. Because once we actually make the decisions in this country (instead of the business monopolies), then will we be free to decide what's really best for us.

Waffle-San

Blue-Steel
    Years
  • Well, I'm not in a mood for reading, but in response to the poll and what I did read.

it's true a global warming period through the ages has came and gone, but the increases have all been much much less than this. What's happening right now is so unnatural you'd have to be a from Venus to not notice. Global Warming is real and you better get used to it.
    Why? Because as I know we can come back against Global Warming we won't. People won't actually get serious enough until it becomes too late. maybe I'm wrong but not enough people are dedicated and that's the sad truth right now.

not that I'm saying to give, up the smaller efforts could make the differance when other people wake up.

Of course in theory, global warming should cause a short period in the winter that's colder than normal for that time of year, becuase with less atmosphere, heat isn't retained as long, while the sun doesn't hit the earth for very long. (of course it's jsut a 14 year old kids theory)
    Of course, two weeks of freezing temperatures won't stop 11 months of melting in the antartic.

Edit: woops i read the first page and thought it was the last.XD

Myoko-chan

アーシェ
    Years
  • Personally, I don't believe in the end of the world kinda thing, but I do believe that if theres more and more population, life would be pretty bad.

I'm not very sure what to say, I don't create alot of polution and stuff, but I'm not like an enviro-freak or w/e, so I'm kinda in the middle with this saving the future of our world thing.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back