• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Hate For New Generation 6?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2018
    As a whole I actually haven't seen a ton of hate for X and Y, mostly excitement. Though I do know that the new type and Mega Evolutions rubbed some people the wrong way.

I feel like this is going to be a very good generation!

hiff8

Gotta Derp em all
    Years
    • Seen Apr 4, 2015
    Nope, this is shaping up to be great gen, especially the mega forms..I just like them.

Years
    • Age 16
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    Seen lots of hate. If anything this is the only place where people actually are mostly ok with x/y.

I'm just glad its not the same type of pixels over and over again! :)
    I'd rather that than the ****** 3D graphics we're getting.

Seriously, I'm liking the things I'm seeing with this game (can't comment on the designs since I've only seen a few), but the graphics and performance of the game leave much to be desired. It's sad I'm HOPING for 30fps. Ugh.

Game Freak will never get the visuals and performance right anymore. They did in the 3rd gen but then everything, especially the technical performance went downhill. I miss 60fps Pokemon. I also prefer 2D art/pixel art over 3D visuals, let alone ones that look like shoddy PS1 graphic.

Years
    • Seen Aug 10, 2014
    Of all the things to criticize in X and Y you are upset about the graphics?
    I don't even understand what is wrong with them and why people are complaining.. the graphics are amazing. Have you even seen the attack animations? The animated 3d pokemon? Simple trainer animations like picking up pokeballs? I could go on and on from simple things to huge things. The game in general looks ****ing beautiful. If you are dissing the graphics then I honestly have doubts that you have even seen any recent trailers. Either that or you are blind/stupid. I'm sorry, but it just makes no sense. Pokémon X and Y is one of the better or best looking games on the 3DS and that isn't just me being a fanboy.

hiff8

Gotta Derp em all
    Years
    • Seen Apr 4, 2015
    @Spinosaurus

Dude, in 3rd there aren't even enough attack animation frames from the FPS to matter, and did you really expect the 3ds to have flat pixel graphics? Also I really like the 3d models, just detailed enough to immerse you (which the 2d static sprites could never do) without going too overboard to leave nothing to the imagination.

Last edited:

Snowdrop

Back and ready to babble!
    Years
  • I'm pretty sure Sylveon's bows are fur, not flesh, or at least some sort of magically appearing clothing like Machoke's underwear...

I'm kind of at the opposite end of the scale when it comes to Mega Evos... I was okay with it at first, but the appeal kind of faded away... I think a lot of the Megas are overdone in terms of design. The only one I can really get behind is Mega Kangaskhan. I'm totally getting one for my team. And naming her Mama Mia. I also like Mega Ampharos, but all the rest aren't that great to me. But you know what? The next CoroCoro hasn't been released so my opinion may be updated when we get to see the next batch of Megas. And I'd hate to beat a dead Rapidash but the entire concept does seem a little too Digimon-esque for me.

And if you've seen some of my posts around the forum, you know how vital design is to me. And I'm liking where 6th gen is going. I love all the Fairy designs so far except the hamster, who looks too much like Raichu and just... looks half-baked and uninspired to me :/ Other than that, I absolutely love what I see. Littleo, Bunnelby, and Skiddo have become instant favorites.

And, OMG, Pokemon Amie! I'm going to feed my Steelix cotton candy, pet my Tyranitar, and split my hand in half giving my Scyther a high-five! Woo!

I'm really liking where this gen is going. My only (changeable) complaint is the Mega Evolutions. Other than that, I'm digging everything!

Years
    • Age 16
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    I don't even understand what is wrong with them and why people are complaining.. the graphics are amazing. Have you even seen the attack animations? The animated 3d pokemon? Simple trainer animations like picking up pokeballs? I could go on and on from simple things to huge things. The game in general looks ****ing beautiful. If you are dissing the graphics then I honestly have doubts that you have even seen any recent trailers. Either that or you are blind/stupid. I'm sorry, but it just makes no sense. Pokémon X and Y is one of the better or best looking games on the 3DS and that isn't just me being a fanboy.
    Welcome to the PS1 generation. The novelty of 3D graphics will wear out shortly however. I recommend buying a PS3! You'll probably find The Last of Us to be super photo realistic! No blurry textures or clunky animations or anything!

Spoiler:

@Spinosaurus

Dude, in 3rd there aren't even enough attack animation frames from the FPS to matter, and did you really expect the 3ds to have flat pixel graphics? Also I really like the 3d models, just detailed enough to immerse you (which the 2d static sprites could never do) without going too overboard to leave nothing to the imagination.
    This I can get behind. However...

Minimalism is the best thing about 3rd gen. Sure, the battles didn't need 60fps (and it's why I tolerate RBY and GSC, really), but it was still much more smooth and I appreciated that. It's OUTSIDE the battle that made the difference. 60fps made traversing through the world you're immersed in much more smoother and enjoyable, coupled with the fact it helped the pacing significantly. It's why Hoenn is my favorite region, and it's just because of 60fps. Oh and Kanto was so much better, and so much smoother to navigate.
    Compare this to the DS games. Clunky, super slow and the pace is off. Because of that I never, ever finish them. 30fps made going through them much more of a chore to me than an enjoyment. However, I still like D/P/Pt/HG/SS because of the good region designs, regardless of 30fps. But if you ask me to finish them, then don't expect me to do it. The time it takes to get to the half point of the DS games, is the time it takes to finish the GBA games. B/W is the exception only because the region design is so small and bad. What makes it worse that the only reason the DS games are 30fps is because of having pesuedo-3D environments, and not only were they unnecessary, they felt dated from the start, and thus looked more ugly than the 60fps GBA games, which pisses me off actually. Maybe you guys don't notice it (it's understandable, really, most people can't notice the different between 30fps and 60fps), but to me it's a real deal breaker.

As for the models, they suffer the same way they always did since the 64. They're bland, and yes, they lack detail. The animation is poor (and ironically, the frame rate doesn't help) and the Pokemon feel more like robots. Gen 6 Pokemon models are much better because they are made from scratch for this game, while all the other Pokemon have been ported from older games and just feel out of place. And then there's the jaggies...

Also we're way past the point where 3D is revolutionary, in fact we're at the point where the sight of seeing a 2D retail console game causes people to be overjoyed just seeing them again. And 2D sprites never immerses you as well as 3D? I disagree. Go play Yoshi's Island, and then Rayman Origins. Or at least watch videos of them. (Though playing them in glorious 60fps is preferred.) No matter what anyone says, yes, graphics and technical performance are very, very important.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Aug 10, 2014
    Welcome to the PS1 generation. The novelty of 3D graphics will wear out shortly however. I recommend buying a PS3! You'll probably find The Last of Us to be super photo realistic! No blurry textures or clunky animations or anything!

So then your problem is with the 3DS in general and not Pokémon X and Y itself.
    Also Pokémon's appeal isn't realism, so I don't get why you are pulling that out of your ass.

Years
    • Age 16
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    So then your problem is with the 3DS in general and not Pokémon X and Y itself.
    Also Pokémon's appeal isn't realism, so I don't get why you are pulling that out of your ass.
    I...you...what?

Holy crap, how do you still NOT get it?
    I don't even understand what is wrong with them and why people are complaining.. the graphics are amazing. Have you even seen the attack animations? The animated 3d pokemon? Simple trainer animations like picking up pokeballs? I could go on and on from simple things to huge things. The game in general looks ****ing beautiful.
    You're praising the graphics to near hyperbolic levels. ("HOLY **** AN ANIMATION OF SOMEONE PICKING SOMETHING! TREMENDOUS!") It's like this is the first time you ever saw 3D. That's what I was referring to with my PS1 comment. (How the hell did you miss THAT?)

If you are dissing the graphics then I honestly have doubts that you have even seen any recent trailers
    A hilarious assumption considering I did.
    It still looks super jagged. The frame rate is still below 30fps. (and thus, super clunky and slow) The textures are still blurry and cheap. The models are underwhelming.

Pokémon X and Y is one of the better or best looking games on the 3DS
    No.
    Spoiler:

Do you even own a 3DS? These all look better. Some even MUCH better.

And don't give me that "but Pokemon is bigger than those games!" excuse. Shin Megami Tensei IV is a huge RPG and it STILL manages to look better than it. With a higher framerate to boot.
    H1A7Tb1.png

that isn't just me being a fanboy.
    You getting salty on my comment says otherwise. Also...
    Either that or you are blind/stupid.
    Personally insulting someone for criticizing something you like is the mark of a Grade A fanboy. Congratulations!

EDIT: Not to mention you can't use 3D on the overworld, according to hands on impressions. Why? Game freak didn't want the frame rate to go even LOWER. lol Admittedly though it's probably just for the demo.

Last edited:

mk.ultra

Old School
    Years
  • Some of the pokemon look cheesy but that has been true for every generation. I still love gens 1-3 the best thus far but only time will tell how good X and Y are.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • I...you...what?

Holy crap, how do you still NOT get it?
    You're praising the graphics to near hyperbolic levels. ("HOLY **** AN ANIMATION OF SOMEONE PICKING SOMETHING! TREMENDOUS!") It's like this is the first time you ever saw 3D. That's what I was referring to with my PS1 comment. (How the hell did you miss THAT?)

A hilarious assumption considering I did.
    It still looks super jagged. The frame rate is still below 30fps. (and thus, super clunky and slow) The textures are still blurry and cheap. The models are underwhelming.

No.
    Spoiler:

Do you even own a 3DS? These all look better. Some even MUCH better.

And don't give me that "but Pokemon is bigger than those games!" excuse. Shin Megami Tensei IV is a huge RPG and it STILL manages to look better than it. With a higher framerate to boot.
    H1A7Tb1.png

You getting salty on my comment says otherwise. Also...
    Personally insulting someone for criticizing something you like is the mark of a Grade A fanboy. Congratulations!

EDIT: Not to mention you can't use 3D on the overworld, according to hands on impressions. Why? Game freak didn't want the frame rate to go even LOWER. lol Admittedly though it's probably just for the demo.
    You make some good points on the graphics I'll admit it's not the best 3DS game. I do wish that people will stop hypoboling the graphics, they aren't as good as they can be. I've never really cared all that all that deeply about the graphics when playing Pokemon so it won't derail me personally from liking them.

DamienHelvian

Legendary Lucario Warrior
    Years
  • You make some good points on the graphics I'll admit it's not the best 3DS game. I do wish that people will stop hypoboling the graphics, they aren't as good as they can be. I've never really cared all that all that deeply about the graphics when playing Pokemon so it won't derail me personally from liking them.

Didn't they make a statement about that themselves? Pokemon may be able to have EPIC 3DS graphics, but they choose not to. They're already using the 3D capability moreso than the non 3DS versions...
    I think that the fact that the graphics aren't as good as they could be, is that way for a reason. Keeping up with Tradition. Just look at most of the DS games, they could've been way better but they weren't...it's one of the things that makes pokemon what it is.

Years
    • Age 16
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    See, I have no problem with people saying "but I don't mind the graphics" or "I don't notice them anyway" or "I never cared about graphics" or "they're fine to me" or "I'm sure they won't bug me" or whatever. That's totally understandable and fine.

However, when you try to argue with blank statements with no back up or insult the people who are actually bothered by and criticize it it is just asking for trouble. I just can't count how many times I stated my dissatisfaction towards the game's visuals and performance and get replies that are pretty much "the games are beautiful you're just a hater!" and then go on hyperbolically about how it looks like the best 3DS game ever, when they probably don't own one yet. :/

EDIT: ^That kinda doesn't make sense. What traditions? You mean they can't push the hardware to its limits for the art style they're going for? In fact, the art style looks off in general from the tradition. And then, why are they like that? With graphics like that, I wouldn't be surprised if you could go to 60fps. But we got lower than 30fps. In fact I wouldn't mind at all if it was 60fps. The only explanation I could think of is that Game Freak is just inexperienced in modern hardware, if their attempt at 3D in the DS game wasn't evident enough of that already.

The DS was capable of producing beautiful 2D graphics. That's where the DS truly excels at. The 3D in that system is PS1-levels, and that's not exactly a good thing. Look at the 2D parts of Elite Beat Agents/Ouendan and Rhythm Heaven (so, so good) and compare them with the 3D in the DS Pokemon games or something else that's entirely 3D.

Last edited:

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • Didn't they make a statement about that themselves? Pokemon may be able to have EPIC 3DS graphics, but they choose not to. They're already using the 3D capability moreso than the non 3DS versions...
    I think that the fact that the graphics aren't as good as they could be, is that way for a reason. Keeping up with Tradition. Just look at most of the DS games, they could've been way better but they weren't...it's one of the things that makes pokemon what it is.
    I think that they're doing so in order to have room for improvement for the rest of the generation...and possibly even VII if they're going to do two generations on the 3DS like they did with the DS.

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
    Years
  • The only thing I hate is the Fairy-type. Only Xerneas looks cool. If it's good against Dark, I might be giving my Houndoom Sludge Bomb to compensate.

See, I have no problem with people saying "but I don't mind the graphics" or "I don't notice them anyway" or "I never cared about graphics" or "they're fine to me" or "I'm sure they won't bug me" or whatever. That's totally understandable and fine.

However, when you try to argue with blank statements with no back up or insult the people who are actually bothered by and criticize it it is just asking for trouble. I just can't count how many times I stated my dissatisfaction towards the game's visuals and performance and get replies that are pretty much "the games are beautiful you're just a hater!" and then go on hyperbolically about how it looks like the best 3DS game ever, when they probably don't own one yet. :/

EDIT: ^That kinda doesn't make sense. What traditions? You mean they can't push the hardware to its limits for the art style they're going for? In fact, the art style looks off in general from the tradition. And then, why are they like that? With graphics like that, I wouldn't be surprised if you could go to 60fps. But we got lower than 30fps. In fact I wouldn't mind at all if it was 60fps.

The DS was capable of producing beautiful 2D graphics. That's where the DS truly excels at. The 3D in that system is PS1-levels, and that's not exactly a good thing. Look at the 2D parts of Elite Beat Agents/Ouendan and Rhythm Heaven (so, so good) and compare then with the 3D in the DS Pokemon games or something else that's entirely 3D.

Mate, there are various games on the 3DS right now with better graphics than Pokémon XY, but the focus of Pokémon was never really the graphics. It's supposed to have that cartoony look. I'm not familiar with DS games but I'm pretty sure even B2W2 don't look as good as some of the most graphically intensive DS games. The models have a decent amount of polygons (look at the cutscenes in B2W2 for example) but the textures are quite blurry and IMO look like crap.

The DS is pathetic compared to a PSP for example, and its excellence in 2D graphics comes from higher resolution compared to GBA Pokémon games. To give you an idea of how weak the DS is, try playing one of the 5th gen games on a DS Lite. You'll experience plenty of hiccups and fps drops in many areas. The framerates are better on a DSi because the games are DSi-enhanced (and make use of that extra processor power for many nifty things), but the performance is still quite low for what isn't a graphically intensive game (actually quite far from that).

BTW I really love what the 3DS is capable of, graphically speaking. That's near GC quality in your pocket. Yummy! The CPU in the 3DS is not that strong, but it's able to reproduce and easily surpass N64 graphics (in remakes like SF64 3D and Zelda OoT 3D) due to GPU acceleration. Ok, maybe not GC level, but easily Dreamcast level.

Emulation, on the other hand, is a whole different subject... It's not even cracked yet, and it isn't powerful enough to handle beyond N64 graphics since it needs the subpar CPU to function. But I'm not bothered, as long as Ninty gives us overpriced remakes of their old games.

One thing I'm very curious about is how Pokémon is gonna use the 3D effects. In the few 3DS games I've played (most first-party), the effect is awesome. I loved it in SF643D, and I heard it doesn't even have the best effects among 3DS games. Hopefully we're treated to something great in Pokémon.

Finally, I've never played the GBA games on actual hardware, but they're fast-running because the graphics aren't that good, and are completely in 2D. The transition to 3D is actually a big one and the first 3D consoles like the PS1 and the N64 had pathetic framerates at even the slightest hint of overcrowding on screen. No wonder the DS, with its weak hardware, runs stuff like Pokémon Platinum, which has mild 3D in the overworld, at crawl pace, and chokes with BW.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Feb 10, 2014
    Some people specially haters, has lack of attention. they can only do is to hate and complain just to caught somebody's attention. But i am pretty sure, even they complain/hates every Generations of pokemon they still want to play it.. For me i love all generations of pokemon from the most awsome to weidest pokemon(icecream pokemon. wth..). yes, i didnt got a chance to play all the generations specially gen5 cause of a busy life. well, i played it a little bit but didn't finish it.. and now there's is no way that can stop me from playing this coming gen of pokemon. you guys serious?? Mega Evolution is freaking awsome this is one of the reason why im so excited to play this new pokemon! call me weirdo, when i was in grade school and playing gen1 pokemon(red version) i thought to myself. "this is pokemon would be more awsome if it is a 3d and super special effects like golden sun". dream came true..

Years
    • Seen Sep 1, 2023
    I also prefer 2D art/pixel art over 3D visuals, let alone ones that look like shoddy PS1 graphic.

Wait...WHAT?!?!?!?

You seriously think that having 2D art would be the better route????

Are you...trolling? Or are you high right now?

Anyway, I've been waiting for 3D Pokémon since Generation 3. You are not raining on my parade.

Snowdrop

Back and ready to babble!
    Years
  • ^ Hey, dude, chill. Opinions! :D

I prefer 2D art as well. It just has... more charm overall. Unless something looks REALLY DAMN GOOD in 3D, I'd prefer it in 2D. Truth is, it seems like 2D is a little more work in the art department. But it was inevitable for Pokemon to transition to 3D. We all knew it was coming, and I don't think they look half bad!

Years
  • See, I have no problem with people saying "but I don't mind the graphics" or "I don't notice them anyway" or "I never cared about graphics" or "they're fine to me" or "I'm sure they won't bug me" or whatever. That's totally understandable and fine.

EDIT: ^That kinda doesn't make sense. What traditions? You mean they can't push the hardware to its limits for the art style they're going for? In fact, the art style looks off in general from the tradition. And then, why are they like that? With graphics like that, I wouldn't be surprised if you could go to 60fps. But we got lower than 30fps. In fact I wouldn't mind at all if it was 60fps. The only explanation I could think of is that Game Freak is just inexperienced in modern hardware, if their attempt at 3D in the DS game wasn't evident enough of that already.

The DS was capable of producing beautiful 2D graphics. That's where the DS truly excels at. The 3D in that system is PS1-levels, and that's not exactly a good thing. Look at the 2D parts of Elite Beat Agents/Ouendan and Rhythm Heaven (so, so good) and compare them with the 3D in the DS Pokemon games or something else that's entirely 3D.
    I'm agree with you about the graphics, but pokemon never was great when it comes to graphics, I don't know why to start complain now. And I'm not one of those who amazed by the X and Y graphics, but I'm really happy about this because compare to the pokemon games of the past this is a big improvement.

Altair1

Willpower
    Years
  • I'm agree with you about the graphics, but pokemon never was great when it comes to graphics, I don't know why to start complain now. And I'm not one of those who amazed by the X and Y graphics, but I'm really happy about this because compare to the pokemon games of the past this is a big improvement.

I think his opinion is about how the graphics affects the game play. In R/S/E and FR/LG game play was smooth due to the simple graphics. Although I'm still not too clear about it...

Lets not forget though. Graphics isn't the only part of the game. For people who dislike how the game looks, it may surprise you with it's other qualities. I think the game looks good (enough for me anyway) in my opinion. It's definitely a step up from the past Generations although I must admit I'm going to miss 2D!

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back