• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen I heard Red was tough?

Diablerie

Exceptionally Adequate
    Years
    I took Pikachu on with my Lv51 Golem. He used Iron Tial on Golem, but Golem had one of those berries that cut a super-effective Steel attack in half. Then when it was Golem's turn he used Earthquake and took Pikachu down in one shot.

Vulpixer

Ooh...Stealth Mode...
    Years
    I went in feeling high and mighty. I forgot how strong he was. I thought he's be just a bit harder than the Kanto Leaders, whom I beat moderately easy enough, but his Pikachu just massacred me. even my prize Arcanine.... I definitly have a lot of grinding to do before then. But I have Mewtwo now and he really helps you out with the whole pikachu problem.

Swolligator

Butcher of the Sands
    Years
    I managed to pwn red up with just my Lvl 100 Feraligatr. It knew Ice Fang, Crunch, Waterfall and Hydro Pump, only had to revive twice!

Chunes

Ace Trainer
    Years
    • IL
    • Seen May 17, 2010
    I tanked his whole team with level 70 Mewtwo, lol. All you have to do is use a crapton of x defense and special defense and keep healing. A couple of his pokemon I did not even hit with an attack. The hail killed them, lol.

stargate1995

Mr. Flying Pickle Monster
    Years
    How was he strong i owned him with only the lvl 80-85 typlhosion i started with, don't see why everyones saying pikachu was a tank it was probably the second easiest to beat, below the venasuar.The hardest was the lapras as it seemed to take alot more hits then it should.

Stan the man

A true gentleman
    Years
    Simon (swalot) and hitmonnorris (hitmonlee.) Took him out pretty quickly, no thanks to hitmonorris ( he died half way through pikachu.) as soon as i sent out swalot he switched to blatoise. I had like no hp left when he sent out pikachu so i did the good old pain split and took it down.

Meta-Morph

A Mysterious Person Appeared!
    Years
    Eh, Red is not as tough as he was. If he wasn't a stupid AI, like if he had the programming of a Pokemon Champion(the ones online), he would kill us all.

Yusshin

♪ Yggdrasil ♪
    Years
    I'd like to see an AI that understand Super Effective and Not Very Effective attacks lol and basic combinations, like Sunny Day + Solar Beam.

That'd be fun :P

Zachary96

Ancient Pro
    Years
    well i found it pretty easy, i grinded.... SOOOOO much with the pokemon i plan to keep in my party, my invincible team i reckon, are in my signature, i got them all up to 90 and taught my Feraligatr and Sceptile, the ultimate moves (Hydro Cannon + Frenzy Plant) i didnt have sceptile on me at the time, i just had my level 72 Jolteon instead.
    Feraligatr - Quality = 90
    Jolteon - Skill = 72
    Nidoking - Aggression = 90
    Magmortar - Respect = 90
    Latios - Amazement = 90
    Garchomp - Capability = 90

Last edited:

Totodile!

Yo, Champ in the making!
    Years
    It depends on how tough you trained and also if you have a good tactics to beat him.
    He wasn't that tough for me ... the tough part was to train all my pokémon to a high level (I trained to level 82).

GlitchCity

GlitchxCity
    Years
    No I havent. Im procrasonating. Im abusing the E4 right now to level up my Team, and I dont plan to use any legendaries when I fight him.

LethalTexture

Breeder and Battler
    Years
    When I beat him, my team consisted of Pikachu, Charizard, Feraligatr, Golem, Togekiss and Gyarados, all Level 75. I used my Pikachu against his, and despite being 13 levels lower, I was faster. My Pikachu used Thunder, which took off two thirds of Red's Pikachu's HP, and paralysed it. It was unable to move, so on the next turn I used Thunder again, praying that it wouldn't miss. It didn't, and my Pikachu defeated his. I have never been so proud of one of my Pokémon before.

I only used two Full Restores throughout the battle, no revives, and a Set battle style.

KieronGames

May be more active
    Years
    • Seen Nov 24, 2012
    well when i was facing red( i lost :( )
    when i had my ho-oh which i foolishly turne doff my game and lost ho-oh
    i brought him out against his pikachu(pikachu usually uses volt tackle) which wipes ho-oh out but does about 100 damage to pikachu, i switch to geodude and revive ho-oh, geodude does some damage then i switch back to ho-oh who pikachu uses volt tackle on and then pikachu faints due to recoil. thats how you beat pikachu :/

Years
    • Seen Apr 10, 2010
    I thought he was pretty easy. I climbed Mt Silver for the sake of getting them items and gaining some levels so I didn't go up there thinking I could beat him, I only tried because I was there and I figured why not try. Pikachu went down in one hit to quagsire's earthquake despite her being 22 levels lower. Venusaur fell in one hit to level 60-something skarmory, though that was harder to land. Snorlax and lapras went down quickly to level 70-something hitmonchan. Charizard was brought down by level 70-something mismagius. Blastoise was the only one I had any problem with, I had to revive hitmonchan a few times just to take him down. It would have been a lot easier if Red didn't keep healing him.

Don't listen to those that say you have to have a high level team because you don't. It might make it easier but it all depends on your pokemon and their movesets.

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    I have a feeling my team will get pwnd.

However, luckily, if I don't evolve Dragonair (I don't plan to, although Dragonite can learn Earthquake), then it'll have resistance to Volt Tackle, so a Draco Meteor+Extremespeed combo should finish it.

Absol,Dragonair,Sneasel,Honchkrow,Lapras,Espeon=my team. If I get Superpower, Absol will take out Lapras, and he doesn't stand a chance against my Lapras.

EJ

everything is purple
    Years
    • FL
    • Seen Mar 19, 2022
    I lost to Red but its possible to beat him with what I have.

My team is all lvl 55-57s. I brought him down to his last pokemon and nearly won but I lost because my Typhlosion was poisoned.

I needed more revives (I only have 5)

ParadoxVoid

HG Friend Code: 0346 1514 5012
    Years
    I'm not sure if anyone said this yet, but his team is a Level 88 Pikachu, (I think it's 88, definately in the 80's) A Level 84-89 Blastiose, Charizard, and Venasaur. Then an 86-89 Snorlax and Lapras. This isn't in order, the order is randomized, but it starts out with Pikachu, then the three Kanto starters, then Lapras and Snorlax. He has a few Full Restores, and all of his Pokemon are really tough. They gave my LVL 100 Feraligatr a rough time. And they killed my 96 Arceus really easily. My advice, bring some Full Restores and Max Revives. As far as the Pokemon to bring, I'd bring a Rock type, Water type, Fire type, a grass type, and a fighting type. Best of luck!

EJ

everything is purple
    Years
    • FL
    • Seen Mar 19, 2022
    I'm not sure if anyone said this yet, but his team is a Level 88 Pikachu, (I think it's 88, definately in the 80's) A Level 84-89 Blastiose, Charizard, and Venasaur. Then an 86-89 Snorlax and Lapras. This isn't in order, the order is randomized, but it starts out with Pikachu, then the three Kanto starters, then Lapras and Snorlax. He has a few Full Restores, and all of his Pokemon are really tough. They gave my LVL 100 Feraligatr a rough time. And they killed my 96 Arceus really easily. My advice, bring some Full Restores and Max Revives. As far as the Pokemon to bring, I'd bring a Rock type, Water type, Fire type, a grass type, and a fighting type. Best of luck!

A pure ground is helpful for that nasty pikachu.

ParadoxVoid

HG Friend Code: 0346 1514 5012
    Years
    The Pikachu wasn't very hard for me, just got lucky with a critical hit from Close Combat. Hitmonchan, I love you so. But honestly, the Venasaur gave me a lot of trouble. When I finally did get it's health low, Red used a Full Restore. Then I nearly snapped my DSi in half.

Back