• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen I heard Red was tough?

Honus

exploding with sloppy murders
    Years
    In all honesty, he wasn't that hard. I was planning on leveling my team to around 75 or so before I challenged him, but I got bored and decided to try while my team was level 65-67. It wasn't very difficult abusing the AI and predicting his attacks and switching out accordingly. I managed to beat him with just a team of 5 since my 6th was a Bidoof that I brought with me because I needed Rock Climb. My team consisted of:

Vileplume Lv.67
    Arcanine Lv.65
    Vespiqueen Lv.66
    Probopass Lv. 65
    Slowking Lv. 67
    Bidoof Lv.10(?)

Rucario

Madam you see before you stand
    Years
    I haven't versed him, but I saw a youtube video. He looks like he is hard to beat. His Pikachu is like the Pokegod and most people cheat to beat him.

Cyndahog

lol hi
    Years
    I have found they base his team off of the anime, much to my disgust. But I suppose they can't base it off of anything else. And in the anime, his team was Pikachu, Charmander, Squirtle, Bulbasaur, Snorlax, Lapras, Espeon. But hey, it was Lapras or Espeon, and there isn't room for both. They went with the stronger Pokemon. Plus, we already fought a trainer with Espeon. The Kimono Girls. I think they made a good choice for the layout. Oh, and try facing him using the GB Sounds. Great music mix. ^.^

I wouldn't be so disgusted with the anime if they just stopped after Hoenn. Now it's a children's program for kids who don't even play the games.

They base him off of R/B/Y. As in, the 3 starters, Pika, encountering Snorlax, and recieving Lapras in Silph Co.

Sire

Making Flareon Own You
    Years
    • Seen Apr 9, 2024
    Actually, he had an Espeon in G/S/C when you fought him. And yes, though he never had one in the anime, that's what the Eevee was supposed to become. Through happiness during the day. Do you think RED would make it happy at night?

What Eevee are you even talking about? ;_;

Heart's Soul

Hey, look, I was gone.
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Aug 20, 2020
    What Eevee are you even talking about? ;_;

Pokemon Yellow, that is. Red was actually based off Yellow in GSC but he is based of FRLG in HGSS. In Yellow, Red was meant to get an Eevee and got a Pikachu instead. Then he went, kicked Green a thousand times, got him to breed Red an Eevee and it evolved into Espeon. Green then went and tried to commit suicide, but got a Gym instead.

Years
    • Seen Jul 15, 2011
    I was innocently walking up Mt. Silver with my under lv. 50 pokemon when I found him. I started the battle and barely beat his pikachu, but his Arcanine killed me:(

vibratingcat

new username, razzbat
    Years
    i beat red a couple of days ago. pikachu was pretty easy considering its high level. a few earthquakes with my level 64 tyranitar was all fine.
    it was a fun fight! after i beat him i got a charmander. HE IS SO CUUUUTE!!!!!!!!! its so cool to hav him follow around me. XD

The Fourteenth Doctor

The little... Daleks
    Years
    I beat him with my team around lv70, I found that the best trick is to knock out Pikachu as soon as you can otherwise it will try and take out your entire team, once Pikachu is down you should be able to take down the other pokemon (you might need max revives though)

empty streets

Ace trainer ★
    Years
    Ohoho, I don't even want to think about battling Red. I have other worries now, like collecting gym bagdes and raising my team.

But I'll definetely will be looking forward beatin.. I mean battling the strongest trainer ever. Yep.

TrilbyMenetti

HeartGold trainer
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Mar 3, 2011
    I remember back in Gold, I had a lot of trouble beating Red, but when I did it was glorious. I'm looking forward to feeling that feeling again with a lot more experience than I had back then, but I haven't even fought the Elite Four yet, so it'll take time.

It's a shame that he's swapped Espeon for Lapras though, my Umbreon isn't going to have a chance to shine. :(

spoink17

Top pokemon co-ordinater
    Years
    well he's the strongest trainer in existance.. if your guys arent around lvl 70 dont even bother.

EDIT: better yet be at 75+ so you'll at least stand a chance. well with legends you should be mostly ok, unless you bring suicune or lugia, which will get annihalated by his godly pikachu
    i disagree i beat him with a party of level 60s its all stratagy

Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Jun 5, 2010
    Red is totally tough! Level 88 Pikachu that knows Volt Tackle.

Eon-Rider

An "Original" PC Supporter
    Years
    I beat Red using my LV 68 Curselax today. While setting up, I used three Max Potions and two Full Restores. Then I proceeded to take down his whole team with Body Slam and occasionally recovering using Rest.

Clefairies

I'm always chasing rainbows.
    Years
    • Seen Aug 12, 2016
    Hm, seems to be mixed reviews about how easy/hard Red is.
    I am looking forward to this. :) When I finally reach him, I will first try a battle around 62-65 pokemon. XD

Years
    Quite possibly the most epic Red defeat ever

Alright, now, I wouldn't have believed this myself if I weren't sitting over my girlfriend's shoulder watching the final moments of the battle.

This was in HeartGold; Red's last Pokemon out was Venusaur, and my girlfriend was down to a level 74 Victreebel and her level 6 Spinarak, which was only along for the ride because she had been using it for Flash.

So, Victreebel stuns Venusaur, and Venusaur, low on health, proceeds to finish off Victreebel. My girlfriend, convinced the battle was over, sends out her level 6 Spinarak. Hail hits, Venusaur's health drops dangerously low. Spinarak uses Poison Sting, it does like 2 HP of damage...

...and Venusaur can't move because of paralysis. The hail hits again and Venusaur, Red's last Pokemon, faints.

So, my girlfriend defeated Red with a level 6 Spinarak. And thus, I deem it, as the title suggests, quite possibly the most epic Red defeat ever.

Any other stories out there of epic Red defeats, or even other trainers in the game?

Impo

Playhouse Pokemon
    Years
    i havent had any good wins :P , though i beat sabrina with a lvl 6 sandshrew on FR :P

i beat red without needing a revive :P
    around lvl 65 pkmn :P

Back