• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen I heard Red was tough?

Years
    • Seen Jun 1, 2010
    wow thats still good basicly defeating Red with 5 pokemon. and how many levels did spinorak grow, i bet it was like 10.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
    This could be posted both in the HGSS Journal thread, or the already-existing Red thread... actually I'l merge it with that one.

Carry on. =P (And yes that was epic-sounding XD).

Years
    I had a team ranging from 58 to 62 when I beat Red. Used Umbreon, Vaporeon, Pidgeot, Ampharos and Gardevoir. It was a bad team to use because most of Red's team would outspeed me and I couldn't do much damage in return.

Pikachu I had to wait for the recoil to kill it. Blastoise I stalled out using Vaporeon, making it completely worthless after the Focus Blasts. Snorlax I Will-O-Wisped it with Garde and Charmed it once to nullify it's Attack (though was unaware of Shadow Ball and got KO'ed, Umbreon followed and did fine). Lapras was a 2HKO with Choice Specs Ampharos' Discharge, though I had to heal it carefully in order to land his strike since Lapras was just narrowly faster and his Blizzard would nearly KO in one hit.

Charizard and Venusaur... ugh, couldn't do much but stall out with whatever I had and wait for the Hail to kill it (Venusaur after 60'ish turns even, since he used a Full Restore...), seriously. Venusaur mostly struck me with a very damaging Sludge Bomb while using Sleep Powder on some teammates. Worse even was Charizard, who took a blow from Discharge before Ampharos went down and then abused Flamethrower shortly after with Blaze on, severely damaging everything that wasn't Vaporeon (on which Air Slash and many Criticals were also painful enough)...

I'd say that, if it wasn't for Hail then Red would be truly hard to beat. Hail pretty much takes down his Pokémon slowly but steadily, bar Lapras, on which a fast Electric, Grass, Fight or Rock hitter works well enough in tandem with some healing. That allied with the shabby AI makes it possible to beat him while severely underlevelled, you just have to use more status effects and support moves than offensive ones, basically.

Years
    • Seen Feb 18, 2013
    I beat his whole team with my level 85 Garchomp, had to revive once from lapras, but thats it

+ why would you have a tough time with Venasaur and Charizard with a Psychic and a Water?

Last edited:

Eggie Poo Poo

OM NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM
    Years
    He's actually fairly easy if you know what is super effective against his Pokemon. After Blue, my team was level 61, and after spending about 8 hours leveling my whole team to 75 through gym leader rematches I climbed Mr. Silver just to see if I would ever stand a chance. And I swept his team with no sweat. I think he only fainted like 2 of my team O.o

Precisely, Red is a joke now, he's not really hard at all. None of you really need to get worked up over him, if you have a good type balanced team that covers different types, then you should be good to go.

I used:

Feraligatr
    Tyranitar
    Ampharos
    Ho-Oh
    Gengar
    Dragonite

Worked out easy and I pwned him. My whole team was exactly level 73.

Last edited:

MasterLink742

Memento Mori
    Years
    Some people beat him easily, with level 50-60
    Others have trouble at level 80-90
    I personally haven't gotten to that part.

Years
    • Seen Apr 30, 2010
    I killed him with
    Lvl 68 Tyranitar
    Lvl 70 Ho-Ho
    Lvl 71 Scizor
    Lvl 68 Metagross
    Lvl 60 Blastoise
    Lvl 82 Luxray

Years
    + why would you have a tough time with Venasaur and Charizard with a Psychic and a Water?
    In my case, both Venusaur and Charizard would outspeed my Pokémon and dish nearly 50% damage per blow, giving me few opportunities to strike. Against Venusaur in particular Gardevoir kept getting KO'd to last moment poison from Sludge Bomb as well as nasty Critical Hits, so I didn't bother much bringing her back in afterward.

A Lv61 Vaporeon's Surf doesn't damage Charizard much either, with the risk of getting flinched by Air Slash I'm better off stalling with Protect + Aqua Ring until it's HP drops to KO range.

TCB

Tranquilo.
    Years
    All my pokemon were between levels 58 and 63; it took me three times to beat him and a lot strategy (and that Snorlax...god...).

Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Jul 9, 2013
    He was nothing. I defeated Pikachu and Venusaur in one hit with flamethrower from my Lv 100 Typhlosion. Blastoise and Snorlax were the hardest to kill do to the fact that Blastoise is a water type and snorlax has the health and defense. Charzard and Lapras where in the middle.

The Original Darkwiz787

Stuck with text below my name.
    Years
    • Seen Jun 24, 2014
    I just started Kanto (At Misty's Gym ATM) and my Typhlosion is already level 66, so Red shouldn't be too tough for me based on these other posts.

I want to beat him with his own team.

Last edited:

MistahDude

Primate Pokemon Master
    Years
    Red used to have a defensive strategy to him in the originals, but now all of his pokemon just have over powered moves.

Lockmaster24

Wise words of FizzyStardust
    Years
    i used the lv 70 lugia as a sheild to absorb the pikachus Volt tackle.

The fact that Hail makes Blizzard never miss is great. He uses Blizzard on Empoleon :D

other than that i alternated between my Feraligatr and Empoleon

Vena was annoying so i use my extremly low leveled Scizor (compared to him like lv. 40~)

X-Scissor :D pity i'm ditching it.

In the end those Giga Drain killed me so i grinded agaist Sabrina (she was fun)

until Red finally crumbled beneath my feet.

Gannon81

Beginning Trainer
    Years
    i haven't defeated him yet but people are saying his pikachu is hard to beat yet that and his espeon are they only pokes i have beaten, one earthquake from a level 61 Torterra defeated his pikachu :/

Back