• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen I heard Red was tough?

NickofTime

Dancin' like a dragon
    Years
    i would say that all of red's pokemon are extremely tough and can sweep your team if your not prepared for them
    you send out a grass type blastoise went first and killed you with blizzard!
    that kind of crap happens alot and often with red SOMETIMES I THINK HE READS YOUR MIND MAN!!!!!!!!!! YOUR MIND
    charmillionare is sick *cough* *wheeze*

Years
    Red is known to be the most difficult trainer in the whole game,series even. Red is the highest leveled trainer throughout HG/SS and any Pokemon game. I suggest going with 75+ but you don't really need to be over 80,he's just that easy if you are near his range. His tactics are pretty original,so overall if your Pokemon are ready you'll be able to beat him with no sweat.

I defeated him with my team consisting of:
    Typhlosion Lv 78
    Ampharos Lv 75
    Gengar Lv 77
    Quagsire Lv 74
    Togekiss Lv 75
    Scizor Lv 75

Years
    My only pokémon strong enough to beat ANY of his pokémon is my level 82 Gengar. So, I've caught a Quagemire for his Pikachu and I'm training my Flaffy for his Lapras/Blastoise.

Sounds

Attrapez les tous!
    Years
    Red isn't very hard to beat, his Pikachu is just a filler, a lv 50+ pokemon with earthquake can beat him in one shot. His Charizard, a water type around lv 60+ will do, Blastoize is a bit harder, but can be deafeted with a grass type easily. As for Laprass, a good ol'fighting type will do the trick, same for Snorlax(although it will be a bit harder), And lastly, his Venusaur, this one's the easiest after Pikachu, you have a few choices, bug, psychic, fire, ice or flying.
    The best way to beat red isn't to train as hard as possible, its simply to have type advantages. At least, that's what i thought from my experience.

EDIT: All my pokemon were lv 55-70 when I beat him on my very first try.

.Occam

Ontological parsimony?
    Years
    Red defeated. That was the most difficult battle I've ever had in a pokemon game, even trumping Cynthia in Platinum. It took 5 tries, 4 Max Revives, and using 11 Rare Candies.

I think he would've been much easier if I had planned out a better team:

Golem, 56
    Crobat, 54
    Muk, 56
    Machamp, 57
    Houndoom, 55
    Tentacruel, 55 (HM Slave)

A quick glance and you'll see that Lapras is capable of wiping my entire team with either Psychic or Brine. I had to use a Focus Band on Golem to get him to survive Pikachu's Iron Tail so he could Earthquake. The MVPs of the team were definitely Machamp and Muk. Machamp had to take out Lapras and Snorlax, and along with Muk fainted a couple of times so I could revive/heal other pokemon. Muk is my secret weapon with this moveset: Attract, Gunk Shot, Ice Punch, ThunderPunch. My Muk is female so all of Red's team can be slowed with Attract and with two of the elemental punches she can hit for Super Effective damage on 4 out of 6 of Red's pokemon.

At one point I had his Venusaur confused (from Crobat), infatuated from Attract, and Frozen solid. It was a really tough, satisfying fight that I'd really like to see more of in Pokemon games.

Last edited:

NickofTime

Dancin' like a dragon
    Years
    well obviously if you ev your pokemon and have level 100s hes going to be easy (thats basically taking the fun out of the game) but without training it is not only difficult, but a lot more fun

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jul 17, 2016
    What the crap is wrong with all of you? Granted, I had to use a ton of revives, but I beat him with a team of low 50's.

Typhlosion lv.54
    Ampharos lv.53
    Starmie lv.55
    Heracross lv.52
    Steelix lv. 52
    Crobat lv.53

I used like...20 revives and 10 hyper potions. Took me one try.

yummoon

Looking For A Legit RedJirachi
    Years
    • Seen Jan 17, 2017
    i just beat him with mewtwo and level 73Ho-oh

NickofTime

Dancin' like a dragon
    Years
    I think its funny how people say its easy but being able to beat or to have trouble with red is all about the pokemon, you caught not the pokemon you use in online play
    the kinda crap like I TRADED OVER MY EV'D LEVEL 100's RED WAS SOOOOO EASY doesnt really cut it in game trainers deserve a in game team don't hold red to be god but he is difficult also type matching his blastoise with grass will get that grass type killed... unless you totally over leveled it but wheres the fun in that

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jul 17, 2016
    I think its funny how people say its easy but being able to beat or to have trouble with red is all about the pokemon, you caught not the pokemon you use in online play
    the kinda crap like I TRADED OVER MY EV'D LEVEL 100's RED WAS SOOOOO EASY doesnt really cut it in game trainers deserve a in game team don't hold red to be god but he is difficult also type matching his blastoise with grass will get that grass type killed... unless you totally over leveled it but wheres the fun in that

My team was entirely in-game and he was ridiculously easy. Maybe it's because I'm used to beating these games underlevelled. And I'm a beast. That helps too.

Chocos0

Eclipse the Umbreon
    Years
    • Seen Mar 12, 2012
    Well, He isn't that very hard if you have High level pokemon, but recommended you have 65+ pokemon. (With potions, revives, all that stuff) 70+ would be the best results.

Okami Chi

El Guitar Man~
    Years
    well obviously if you ev your pokemon and have level 100s hes going to be easy (thats basically taking the fun out of the game) but without training it is not only difficult, but a lot more fun
    So making my Pokemon weak is fun? Well when you lose every match and still are laughing and giggling give me a call.

Sounds

Attrapez les tous!
    Years
    So making my Pokemon weak is fun? Well when you lose every match and still are laughing and giggling give me a call.

I don't think he meant it that way, when he means taking the fun out of the game, its because instead of training pokemon in hg/ss, you traded lv100, EV trained pokemon out of d/p or pt, which makes it boring because you know your going to win.

NickofTime

Dancin' like a dragon
    Years

Yeah I know what you mean I LOVE GAMES THAT ARE EASY, in fact the thing i love about pokemon is that you can just sweep through gyms without having to implement strategy
    Btw that was internet sarcasm
    Im giving you a call, guess what my in game team is in the top percentage of in game teams
    oh yeah i never said anything about weak pokemon but there is a difference between in game teams and online teams and using your level 100 ev iv'd gods to sweep through game kinda takes the fun out of it , ( its ok if you dont know the difference between in game teams and online teams i wont tell)
    KTHXBAI

Back