• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Junichi Masuda Confirms That the X&Y Overworld Will be 2D Only

Are you disappointed about the X&Y overworld being in 2D only?

• Total voters

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
Years
  • Not too bothered because using the 3D in the overworld wouldn't create such an impact. It's a boring part of the game.

Years
  • I think it has a potential to be a good thing. If they implement the idea the same way they did Harmoknight, they game will automaticly switch the 3D fully on and off so that the 3D is disabled entirely and the depth slider position is irrelevant while it's off, which will save on battery life by at least an hour or so.

It could be a way for the game to port over better on the 2DS, I'd imagine having the game run mostly in 2D would have the more hesitant crowd be more willing to buy the system, knowing they are missing out on less.

I think another (possibly) viable option, is having most of the screens render in 2D allows them more card space? Perhaps allowing them to tighten up the gameplay a bit/fit more features onto the card that would otherwise be used in rendering everything sterostopic?

I love the 3D effect on my system to tears, but I totally see the logic in this move.

SnowpointQuincy

Seeker of FRIEND CODES
    Years
  • Other than the 3D Mario, None of my 3DS game use the 3D much at all. I suppose MH3U was in full 3D, but you had to turn it off to avoid being eaten to death.

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2022
    There's just no excuse for this. The frame rate nor the graphics are up to the standard of 3DS titles and then they pull this. Really? I mean the game looks good enough so far from a design standpoint, and while pokémon has never had amazing presentation by any standard, it's really apparent here.

Elgyem said:
    This is probably an attempt to make the game better for the target audience, which has, since Generation V, become infants.

This is still a better reason than the **** reason that Masuda has.

tnfsf11

This is most probably a good thing, too much 3D isn't eye-friendly...

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • This is most probably a good thing, too much 3D isn't eye-friendly...
    If ones eyes are tired though one can turn it off. It feels like GF wanted to rush these games out...while I do want to get the game quickly I do think they should've worked on it a bit more...besides B2W2 had only a little over half a year in Japan before these games were announced...and a mere four months here...

Last edited:

MrGriszell

Madara
    Years
    • Seen Feb 11, 2021
    If ones eyes are tired though one can turn it off. It feels like GF wanted to rush this game out...while I do want to get the game quickly I do think they should've worked on it a bit more...besides B2W2 had only a little over half a year in Japan before these games were announced...and a mere four months here...

I'm not sure if it was rushed. If it came out last year like everyone wanted then that would of been rushed. I just took it to mean that GF didn't want to waste its time on a feature that really doesn't improve the game play at all. Also they gave a reason, they used it in certain parts of the game to really bring it out .

Besides the 3ds offers a lot more than just 3d, and GF has taken advantage of those features if you ask me

xseed

Reality? Or a dream?
    Years
  • ehhh I am sorta neutral on this. I never really use the 3d anyway but I wouldve LOVED to see all the differnet places at least onece in 3d :(. well atleast I can see the battles in 3d

tnfsf11

If ones eyes are tired though one can turn it off. It feels like GF wanted to rush these games out...while I do want to get the game quickly I do think they should've worked on it a bit more...besides B2W2 had only a little over half a year in Japan before these games were announced...and a mere four months here...
    It wasn't rushed, the game was announced in Jan this year & they've been working on it since maybe 2012 or before that...
    X/Y will have the engine that will be used for future games, so maybe these games will have more features than X & Y because there'll be plenty of time to work on them.

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    Besides the 3ds offers a lot more than just 3d, and GF has taken advantage of those features if you ask me
    You don't say?
    Give me an example because I'm not seeing any.

Game Freak has never been technical gurus. In fact, they always sucked in that department, especially in the start of the DS era when they got even worse. They never push the system, ever. (not even the GBA when every game on it was 60fps anyway.)

Years
    • Seen Jan 2, 2016
    You seem to forget that the 3DS has way better processing power than the previous ones, and it's because of that we have a rotating camera, awesome looking moves, and just that overall dynamic feel of the game.

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    You seem to forget that the 3DS has way better processing power than the previous ones, and it's because of that we have a rotating camera, awesome looking moves, and just that overall dynamic feel of the game.
    Not really. The only good thing about the games visually are the models.
    No texture filtering
    No proper lighting
    No anti-aliasing
    Bad frame rate
    Blob shadows
    etc

In general the game is inoffensive visually, but it's no where near gorgeous or pretty, or even graphically intensive. So what reason is there to disable the 3D?

I also just remembered Harmoknight runs at 60fps in 3D. And that's an eShop game. Is Game Freak's 2nd team better at engineering? :/

Echidna

i don't care what's in your hair
    Years
  • You don't say?
    Give me an example because I'm not seeing any.
    Off the top of my head, the gyroscope and accelerometer. Although yes, the autostereoscopic 3D is the 3DS' selling point, but has it, is it, or will it ever be Pokemon's selling point?
    No. Pokemon has always been about the game and has always payed little to no attention to the unique features of the consoles it's been on.

I personally see no problem in that nor has anyone ever complained about it either.
    Spinosaurus said:
    Game Freak has never been technical gurus. In fact, they always sucked in that department, especially in the start of the DS era when they got even worse. They never push the system, ever. (not even the GBA when every game on it was 60fps anyway.)
    None of this matters for them, or for Nintendo fans either. Personally, and as I've seen the case be made hundreds of times all over the internet, Nintendo fans want the fun we're always used to, be it with Pokemon, Mario, Zelda... etc.
    It's no secret either, Nintendo themselves declare over and over that the technical aspects are of little concern to them. And yet time and time again they have managed to create some of the best games and game franchises of all time.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 had graphics that were way behind the current generation, and yet it was one of the best games if not the best game I have ever played.

I could honestly care less about the strength of their consoles as much as I care for the fun of their content.

Last edited:

Jimmyray

Bish Bash Bosh
    Years
  • Save it for the future. I see what he's saying about the impact moments. I remember being pretty amazed in Heartgold at the Bell tower scene, would be nice to be be startled by some good 3D moments in X & Y in a similar way.

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    Off the top of my head, the gyroscope and accelerometer. Although yes, the autostereoscopic 3D is the 3DS' selling point, but has it, is it, or will it ever be Pokemon's selling point?
    No. Pokemon has always been about the game and has always payed little to no attention to the unique features of the consoles it's been on.

I personally see no problem in that nor has anyone ever complained about it either.

None of this matters for them, or for Nintendo fans either. Personally, and as I've seen the case be made hundreds of times all over the internet, Nintendo fans want the fun we're always used to, be it with Pokemon, Mario, Zelda... etc.
    It's no secret either, Nintendo themselves declare over and over that the technical aspects are of little concern to them. And yet time and time again they have managed to create some of the best games and game franchises of all time.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 had graphics that were way behind the current generation, and yet it was one of the best games if not the best game I have ever played.

I could honestly care less about the strength of their consoles as much as I care for the fun of their content.
    Huh? What the hell are you on about?

What's the whole tired and idiotic "graphics and performance don't matter in a game" speech got to do with this?

For your information Galaxy 2 is actually an eye-candy and a technical highlight especially considering the system it's on. :/ Nintendo, if anything, are technologically competent. And don't give me that "Nintendo fans don't care about graphics!" **** when all you got is anecdotal evidence.

EDIT: Look, since I'm sick and tired of fans repeating the same tired statements over and over again as a way to counter-argue my views and opinions regarding the performance of the game (and I'm not saying anything bad about it aside from that!), let me just tell you I'm not complaining about graphics just for the hell of it. This isn't a case of "oh no it doesn't look as good as Skyrim on PC". No, I'm complaining because I legitimately have concerns regarding the technical performance of the game. They're removing necessary features (a STABLE frame rate and 3D) and for what? For an average looking overworld? There's nothing special about it. Nothing. The graphics themselves aren't offensive. I don't mind them much. But the thing is, with those graphics, you can easily make the game run at 60 frames per second and is being able to play in 3D. But I got NONE of that, not even a graphically intensive game.

I'm a consumer, I want to buy this game. Game Freak wants to sell it to me. If I wasn't familiar with Pokemon games, the moment I hear about unstable frame rate, lack of 3D and mediocre graphics, I'd say "no thanks, go find someone who won't mind these." Playing the DS Pokemon games is a pain in the ass due to how slow and clunky they are, and how visually ugly they were too. I don't want another case of this. Do you see my point? They're technically incompetent and there's no excuse.

And no, don't go on about how graphics or frame rates or whatever don't matter in games. They do. Don't say they don't matter because you don't notice them. I don't want just a fun game, I want a complete package, and to me, a complete package = MORE FUN. And hell, if the frame rate is unstable, how the hell can I have any fun? Frame rate is extremely important. And yes, Nintendo games are actually not only visually and technically appealing generally, but they run smoothly, play great and they always ensure everything is checked out. I don't feel this with X/Y.

Last edited:

MrGriszell

Madara
    Years
    • Seen Feb 11, 2021
    Not really. The only good thing about the games visually are the models.
    No texture filtering
    No proper lighting
    No anti-aliasing
    Bad frame rate
    Blob shadows
    etc

In general the game is inoffensive visually, but it's no where near gorgeous or pretty, or even graphically intensive. So what reason is there to disable the 3D?

I also just remembered Harmoknight runs at 60fps in 3D. And that's an eShop game. Is Game Freak's 2nd team better at engineering? :/
    Come on what do you expect? We don't know how many more years the 3ds will have could be 4 years or longer. They can't put their best foot forward the very first game. If diamond and pearl had what BW2 had we wouldn't have been that impressed with gen 5 at all.

As long as the series continues to move forward I see no issues

WTF!!!!!!!!!!! That's not my quote!!!!!!!! I never said that!!!!!!!!!!

Have I been hacked ?

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    Come on what do you expect? We don't know how many more years the 3ds will have could be 4 years or longer. They can't put their best foot forward the very first game. If diamond and pearl had what BW2 had we wouldn't have been that impressed with gen 5 at all.
    Good GOD not this argument again.

Capcom's first attempt: 60 fps fighting games that runs super smooth. 30fps in 3D but no drops.

Team Ninja: See Capcom

Tokyo EAD's: 3D Land running smooth and is visually appealing

EAD1's: Mario Kart runs at 60fps at both 2D and 3D, visually similar to the wii game too which is good.

Project Sora: A one-time team formed just to make one game. Their first attempt at a game, let alone a 3DS game: Kid Icarus Uprising. The most conent filled game in the 3DS, and very visually appealing and graphically intensive game as well. Frame rate smooth in both 2D AND 3D. Team disbanded after game was finished.

And this is ignoring the fact Game Freak has money to hire talent AND has experience with handhelds for 15 years. They're technically incompetent, there's no two ways about it.

Oh, and BW2 is pretty damn ugly and runs pretty terrible. 30fps with some drops because of rough 3D polygons? Get outta here, GF.

MrGriszell

Madara
    Years
    • Seen Feb 11, 2021
    Good GOD not this argument again.

Capcom's first attempt: 60 fps fighting games that runs super smooth. 30fps in 3D but no drops.

Team Ninja: See Capcom

Tokyo EAD's: 3D Land running smooth and is visually appealing

EAD1's: Mario Kart runs at 60fps at both 2D and 3D, visually similar to the wii game too which is good.

Project Sora: A one-time team formed just to make one game. Their first attempt at a game, let alone a 3DS game: Kid Icarus Uprising. The most conent filled game in the 3DS, and very visually appealing and graphically intensive game as well. Frame rate smooth in both 2D AND 3D. Team disbanded after game was finished.

And this is ignoring the fact Game Freak has money to hire talent AND has experience with handhelds for 15 years. They're technically incompetent, there's no two ways about it.

Oh, and BW2 is pretty damn ugly and runs pretty terrible. 30fps with some drops because of rough 3D polygons? Get outta here, GF.

We can agree to disagree. But if all you do is complain this much why do you play? Surly you must realize your in the minority .

I understand what your saying, it could be better. And I agree it can be. But in the same argument the 3ds coulda been better and also the Wii U. There are plenty of things nintendo and Game Freak could of done to make XY better , and for the reason you stated which is that they have the cash to do so.

All I'm saying is that as long as we keep moving forward I'm gonna be happy.

The one thing even you can't denie is that this is a large step ahead from gen 5

Back