• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Map Rating/Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

negative

Life returns. Life prevails.
Years
  • Yeah 3/10. Sorry but the map is plain and has a bring feel.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please rate this map.

Name: Bayleaf Harbour
    Game: Pokemon Fire Red

Credits to me, Green Charizard, Pounder_Zeikku, Kyledove for tiles.

A 6/10!
    Why?:
    -the trees are ALL in the same line, making them square!
    -the beach and the road are too square!
    -the sea shouldn't be so Square!
    Your map is good, but watch out for Squareness!

TB Pro

Old-timer
    Years
  • Yeah 3/10. Sorry but the map is plain and has a bring feel.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please rate this map.

Name: Bayleaf Harbour
    Game: Pokemon Fire Red

Credits to me, Green Charizard, Pounder_Zeikku, Kyledove for tiles.

Ugh, why does everybody thing that mountain is his? I made it. It's a fusion of Alistair's mountains. And 2/10.

Blackpanfa

ROM Buster
    Years
  • Hi, I'm fairly new to this forum and ROM hacking. I read a couple of tuts, (netis helped loads). And here are my maps, from my hack: Shadow Legends.

New Leaf Town (start village)
    Spoiler:

New Leaf Hollow
    Spoiler:

Hopefully they're not spewing with errors .:)

colcolstyles

Yours truly
    Years

• i dunno who would wanna use that
    Lets Rate um!
    5/10
    I dont like the flowers.. or the palettes, and the map is bad. Look at Neti's tutorial.
    Alright, I just had to say something. This map isn't that bad. Sure, there's plenty of room for improvement but you shouldn't be talking, ¦Next Pro.

Anyways, one thing that jumped out at me were the grass palettes. I think you need to recolor them because they don't look very good. The mountain shape could also use some improvement. It gets too straight in some parts although others look quite nice. The line of trees at the bottom (and at the top although that part isn't as bad) is too straight. I, too, have trouble with that but try to make the bottom line of trees a little more curvy. Hm, it seems like this map was made with little planning or it wasn't made for a hack. The only way to make it through the map is to pass through that skinny path at the bottom of the map. The hills are pretty much useless as well. Grass placement isn't actually all that bad for a newbie. I especially like the southeastern part of the map. However, you could probably get away with some more flowers and a couple more rocks/bushes couldn't hurt either.

Neti

Inactive
    Years
  • i dunno who would wanna use that
    Lets Rate um!
    5/10
    I dont like the flowers.. or the palettes, and the map is bad. Look at Neti's tutorial.
    I agree with colcolstyles, theres a lot of stuff that can be improved, but that doesnt mean that it is bad
    a map is only bad when it really sucks a lot and looks like it is the first map somebody made with those typical beginner elements like custom houses made of the original tiles...
    this map actually is advanced, of course if i spent more time on rating it i would find a lot of stuff that could be corrected or added, but its a pretty decent map
    i dont think reading my tutorials would help him improve his map cuase they dont cover the really deep things in mapping that he needs to learn, they are about the more general stuff

when my new tutorial is finished you all can read it and decide whether it helped you or not
    but when seeing some of the maps here im sure it will help a lot of people
    the topic remains a secret

Musician of Literature

La musica es la fuerza...
    Years
  • Well, this is Azure Town, the 2nd or 3rd town in my hack and the town of the first Gym.

It's a map from hacking Emerald, as you can see by the graphics.

Well, the tall building is the lighthouse, which is required for beating the game(You get the HM Rock Smash at the top). The beach house is just a fish restaurant, with people(mostly sailors and fishermen) who sometimes give you items when you talk to them(One of which is the Old Rod). The houses are just random houses with generic people in them, some give you advice or items. The gym's type is electric, so that's something fresh from Nintendo's obsession of making the first gym Rock-type. This is my very first map, so it has its bugs in it...

Rating:7.1/10
    Reason: The tall building in the city blocks your way to the house to its right. You should think about making it shorter. There is a lot of water for a city with an electric gym city. The city has nice design.

Map name: Route 2 (original eh?)
    Purpose: Second route of game

Pic: (Page burner)
    Rating: 9.82/10
    Reason: This map is excellent. It gives me a semi tropical feel. It looks like a passage to a rainforest. The tile design is cool, even though it kindof looks like zel's for shiny gold. The design is great.

Last edited:

Tropical Sunlight

The Faltine
    Years
  • Guys remeber: this is map rating and not tile/pallete rating!

Posts like this should be invalid:
    I vote for ~Watermelon's map(am I egoistic... xD) because it has great tiles and I like the palettes.

EDIT: Made a map:
    Map name: Dracoville Town
    Hack: Pokemon Turquoise
    Base ROM: Pokemon Firered English (BPRE)
    Mapshot:
    dracoville-10.png

Comments: The cave is blocked by a door which is a tile and you have to defeat the Gym Leader and he gives you the key.
    Credits: Fanking Omega for Johto tileset

Last edited:

Lyzo

Back from vacation
    Years
  • Map Name: Route 1 (for now)

Map Game:
    FireRed

Comments: It's for Pokemon Torzach :P And, also tell me what you guys think of the pallet, since I'm new to pallette editing and tile inserting xD

Mapshot:
    Spoiler:

~Poke~

Hasn't played 5th gen yet.
    Years
  • Ok, I made another map, a LOT better.

Spoiler:

I'd say it's big enough for a spoiler (and this time it's not double zoom)

Alucia

Random tile/map artist
    Years
    • She/Her They/Them
    • Seen Mar 19, 2024
    heres one for you id like it if you reviewed this neti

lightpass.jpg

Name: Lightpass
    Hack: white light (which will eventualy be turned into a flash game instead of a hack)
    these are the shiny gold b5 tiles but they wont be used in the finished thing the final game is being redesigned in flash i just felt like making a map on a map instead of flash for a change

Tropical Sunlight

The Faltine
    Years

Mapshot:
    dracoville-10.png

Comments: The cave is blocked by a door which is a tile and you have to defeat the Gym Leader and he gives you the key.
    Plz rate... I really need to get this rated

~Poke~

Hasn't played 5th gen yet.
    Years

Mapshot:
    dracoville-10.png

OK, I guess I can rate it...

Trees - 9 I think having the little ones looks a bit odd...
    Hills - 9.5 The shape is really good, I think. Just a little unrealistic unless they have miners or dynamite.
    Other stuff - 8 You've got a house right at the entrance to the town, and I think the grass on top of the rocky mountain looks a little odd.

Overall - 9
    Mine hasn't been rated yet, it's a little higher up.

Last edited:

JustinDestruction

Rockin' Trainer
    Years
  • Here is my first attempt at a map. It is the rough draft of the starting location for the Pokémon hack I have recently begun work on. For the time being, it's known as Gates Town, though the actual town name will eventually be changed.

Anyway. The only other thing there is to know is that the building to the northernmost part of the map is the Police HQ.

GatesTownMapROUGHDRAFT.png

Bigboy

15 degrees off cool
    Years
    • Seen Jun 6, 2012
    Hack name: Pokemon Pure shadow
    Hack of:pokemon emerald

Well this is a map for route 3 in the game. I put the most effort in this map than any of my others. So hopefully it is game worthy.
    large map warning.

Spoiler:

Sorry it came out very small. But if anybody is still able to rate it, I would be very glad.

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Oct 24, 2022
    I haven't posted here in forever. :D

So, here goes..

Map Name: Ommakuro Forest
    Map Game: FireRed
    Comments: The long pathways all have warps. It's like those forest entrances, where you warp and you're halfway onto a path. Mmkay? This will actually have no connections, so there won't be any connection problems.
    Mapshot:
    Spoiler:

Asday

PokéFreak. Nuff said.
    Years
    • Seen Dec 2, 2011
    Map name: Routes 4, 5, 7, 8, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 21, 24, 25, Cerulean, Cinnibar, and Fuchsia respectively.

Map game: Fire Red.

Comments: Can't believe I haven't posted mine yet.

I've been changing nintendo's maps around a bit, to feel more natural. I went a bit overboard on some (good lord, is that really pallet?) And I prolly need to do some morework on some others (that route below cerulean, for instance. Square trees at the sides.) EDIT: And route 8, EW, what happened there? ... Have I even changed it?

Also, for some reason, Route 4 is only half done. Hmm.

Anyway, links below. Really can't be bothered to make thumbnails of all of them, so I'll make one, and just have a load of links. (^-^ ) All pics under 100k, apart from route 17. Yay cycling road. -.-

EDIT2: I appear to have missed off my pride and joy, Route 2. Lemme just find it, and I'll show it off proudly, and cry when anyone tells me it isn't 10/10. ='[ (May as well chuck in the rest of the maps I forgot to upload for some bizarre reason, too. Pewter, I've broken, (you'll be able to see over the edge) and I've probably broken the scripts on the victory road place, but oh well.)

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Apr 7, 2009
    I'm quite content with Route 1, Route 2 and Echo Cave for my upcoming ROM Hack, but the settlements so far, if I'm honest, suck, and I really need pointers for improvement.
    (And I apologise about the dry links, not enough posts yet.)

Map: Journey's Wake
    Game: Fire Red
    Comments: I know you can still definitely see parts of Pallet Town in there, it's not very well changed, I know. But, if it scores me any points, the house that's been added to the far right DOES have an inside lol. The path between the left and right sides of Journey's Wake has a cut-bush blocking it, too.
    img11.imageshack.us/img11/8619/41661220.png

Map: Gradicent
    Game: Fire Red
    Comments: As before, I know it doesn't vary much from the original town (In this case, Viridian City) but I don't really think this one has many redeeming factors apart from the fact that Gradicent Gym is open from the very start of the game. A cut-bush exists where it is originally placed (by the dream-eater man)
    img17.imageshack.us/img17/1183/gradicent.png

Final comments: As the old proverb goes, "Spare the rod, spoil the child." Don't go easy on me.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back