• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Misconceptions you had as a child?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    When I was really young, I thought that Santa was real. That was broke when I was five, though, and I saw my Dad eating 'Santa's' Cookies. D:

I also thought that Clouds were 'Clowns' for a while, because I misheard my dad when I asked him why the ground and such was getting dark and lighter.

Years
  • When I was four, I thought cars told drivers where to go when they got lost.

My grandpa was driving and said "I'm lost." Then, I saw a green arrow flashing in the car, he turned in that direction, and then he said "oh, now I know where I am."

(I thought the car told him where to go. Later, I found out that drivers put the signals on to tell other driver's where they are going.)

The cashier at Quick Chek told me (when I was like 4) that I'm a "pretty little girl" and asked me what my name was. I told her that my name was Wilma. (Because I thought everyone knew what I knew. I was Wilma, I called my grandpa Fred, my grandma, Betty, my uncle, Barney, my mom's other brother, Dino, my aunt Kris Barbie, because there weren't anymore characters.) The cashier gave a dirty look to my mom because she actually thought that my mom named me Wilma. lol Then my mom said "come on, Ashley, let's go."

Another misconception I had as a kid was that everybody of all ages watched Barney and only when you're in first grade, you can ride in a wagon. I also believed that people thought it was bad thing for a girl to like boys. I've secretly (and later on publicly) liked boys since forever, but couldn't let my friends know, because they'd make fun of me and say that I have cooties. I knew it was okay to like boys once I was in middle school, because that's when people started dating. Also, I used to think that if a girl talked to a boy, then that means everyone thought that they were boyfriend and girlfriend.

Shedinja8

Niger, atrum vel malum. Sumo.
    Years
  • First (and biggest...), girls were icky. After 12 years, that was LONG gone...

Second, there was a evil, kid-eating ghost in our basement. To this day, I have no real amusment to my fathers stories...

Third and final, some sharks swim in swimming pool. Once again, I dislike my father sometimes...

Years
  • There was a toy that used to be hung up in the corner of my bedroom, it was a witch, I called it witchy-pooh. It was a two sided toy, the other side was a prince. At night when I went to go to sleep I could see her looking at me, leering, plotting against me, she was going to cast a spell or something I used to get so scared and my dad had to come in and change the toy to the side of the prince. Ah memories.
    There is a film called Darby O'Gill and the little people, its an old film we used to watch around xmas time usually but it had a banshee in it and I really honestly believed that there were banshees in real life and if I heard the scream I was going to die....

XxDawnfanxX

The stubborn Pokemon Trainer
    Years
  • That sex was marriage. XD

I couldn't help but laugh out loud at this one haha, thats really funny.

Me and my cousin who I am very close to and is around the same age as me, both believed there was an invisible shark in the deep end of my pool so we always stayed by the ladder. It was pretty funny.

Oh The Places You'll Go.

Whatever will be, will be.
    Years
  • I would always think aliens would land in font of my house and steal me away at night.

i was scared, and thought if I didn't hide under the covers, they would get me.

I never believed in santa. or the toothfairy for that matter. maybe for a few years, but I was always curious and stayed up all night waiting for them to come.

Switchback

Flare Counsellor
    Years
  • Wow, seems a few people were scared of monsters and such. I was never scared of any monsters or of the dark when I was a child. I used to believe the captain's log spoke of in cartoons was an actual log that they wrote on however.

Oh yes, and that I could be Spider-man, which I attempted by tying skipping ropes to two chairs across the room and trying to zip-line across it. Needless to say, it didn't go very well... Rather badly in fact.

BeachBoy

S P A R K of madness
    Years
  • I could've sworn those raptors in Jurassic Park were real, so I believed for a while they were out there, waiting, people just hadn't seen 'em. 8(

Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2017
    Until I reached the age of seven, I used to believe that having sex was seen as an unacceptable act by everyone except me, and that people who did so kept it a secret from the rest of the world because otherwise they would be considered sinful and would be instantly sentenced to death.

icomeanon6

It's "I Come Anon"
    Years
  • I must have been ten years old when I accepted the fact that girls don't have penises. Prior to that, it just seemed like a totally bizarre and disturbing concept.

Graceful

あぁ、たいさ!♥
    Years
  • -Mars Bars came from Mars
    -Easter bunny/Tooth Fairy/Santa was real
    -Teachers lived in the school
    -I didn't know where Japan was.......or what Japan was

Kazukii

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Dec 2, 2009
    Thinking England was Ingland & thinking teachers lived at school xD

Serene Grace

Pokémon Trainer
    Years
  • I used to think superpowers and superheroes were real. I used to think of what I could do to get one and how cool it would have been. TV is very misleading.

Also, I wanted Hogwarts to be real. I really loved the Harry Potter series. In fact, I loved it so much, I waited for my letter to Hogwarts when I was 11.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back