• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Misty or May?

Misty or May

• Misty

Votes: 55 57.3%
  • May

Votes: 41 42.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Elite Trainer Raven

Better than you.
Years
  • PPNSteve said:
    Misty is STILL the BEST! May is a part time replacement.
    Of all people, you should know that's certainly not true. >_> Haruka's COMPLETELY replace Kasumi. For good. Kasumi's completely better off being a side character considering how much she's developed without being with the group.

Kanta-chan

.:Sakura:.
    Years
  • *holds up sign saying "Go May!"* Bah, too bad the poll closed. =/ I would have voted for May. She's cool and I don't really think she's a replacement though. She has a role in the show and participates in contests in Hoenn. I can't really imagine Misty (or Ash or Brock) doing that if she (Misty) stayed.

Years
    • Seen Sep 29, 2023
    PPNSteve said:
    Misty is STILL the BEST! May is a part time replacement.

Wow, it's sad when even the moderators are biased.

May is not a part time replacement, or heck, May is not even part-time. May is as important as Ash is in AG, and will probably be around for the rest of the series.

Good luck with saying that she's a replacement, and then we'll see who is laughing once the D/P series comes out and May is still on the show and Misty is still back in Cerulean City. :D

Last edited:
    Years
  • Okay, I'm forced to post once more in this cursed thread after seeing what PPNSteve decided to write.

I can't say that May is a permenent "replacement" to the female role of the group. I mean, Misty's been in the series far too long to have been forgotten. We'll just have to see what the producers do and say.

I have realized that Misty is probably one of the only old characters that have been appearing in the new series. I just hope that that's only temporary and get her back in the group. It's never too late to develop a character, although I do wonder why the producers decided to make Misty more interesting. I can assume because of this that they don't want to forget her as well...

Kanta-chan

.:Sakura:.
    Years
  • dqle said:
    Okay, I'm forced to post once more in this cursed thread after seeing what PPNSteve decided to write.

I can't say that May is a permenent "replacement" to the female role of the group. I mean, Misty's been in the series far too long to have been forgotten. We'll just have to see what the producers do and say.

I have realized that Misty is probably one of the only old characters that have been appearing in the new series. I just hope that that's only temporary and get her back in the group. It's never too late to develop a character, although I do wonder why the producers decided to make Misty more interesting. I can assume because of this that they don't want to forget her as well...
    o.o; Ya'know, I gotta agree with you on that one.

'Replacement' doesn't really seem like the word for May. More like a 'substitude' IMO.

Years
    • Seen Sep 29, 2023
    Or more like "totally different character".

Just because they're both female, doesn't mean one replaced the other.

Misty is a supporting character, May is a co-star of the show who shares the spotlight with Ash.

BIG difference.

Kasumi

Kasumi & Satoshi forever!
    Years
  • Misty is a supporting character, May is a co-star of the show who shares the spotlight with Ash.

BIG difference.

But Misty shares the spotlight in hoso special episodes :cheeky:

Years
    • Seen Sep 29, 2023
    Kasumi said:
    But Misty shares the spotlight in hoso special episodes :cheeky:

4 out of 16 hosos is hardly "sharing the spotlight". :p

She's not even in half the Hosos, four measly episodes is nothing.

Lonepichu

Happy-Insane dance time
    Years
  • I'm sick of this "Misty/May" thing. May's pretty interesting and quite fresh to the show, but the fact that she's getting these new pokemon (Bulbasaur, Gonbe and Squirtle) it just kinda ticks me off. Beautifly, Combusken, and Skitty fit her, but these new ones...just blegh. Bulbasaur was okay, but just the way she dumped it off at Oaks sorta ticks me off.

I think Misty is more interesting now because we've had a break from her. Sometimes all that we need is time away from a charcter, like when Brock left, he returned better then before.

Let's just see what happens...

Fls4eva

Shinn & Hakudoushi > Everyone
    Years
    • Seen Apr 6, 2012
    I lyk Misty better... May acts lyk she's da pro... when she totally isn't... She cares about the contest ribbons more den frendship...(Hope tis dun offend all the May-lovers out there...)

Years
  • I agree with you Lonepichu i'm getting pretty sick and tired of this thread as well

I like Misty over May as she knows what to do when it comes to pokemon battles and also puts her friends safety ahead of hers whereas May even though being a popular character still has much to learn about pokemon training despite getting help from Ash and Brock

Like you were saying about having some time away from a popular like Brock then bring them back is also very true as well... the animators are starting to get on my nerves with their habit of bringing Misty back for a couple of episodes then making her leave again

If the animators/producers want to avoid being constantly nagged by Pokeshippers/Misty fans about when Misty is going to be placed back in the show as a permanent full time cast member they should place her back in the traveling party as a permanent cast member sometime during the Battle Frontier Season

Isaac Gravity

Supports hot-bloodedness
    Years
  • Sometimes, I wonder when this little war Misty fans created will end?

In any case, before I make my choice I?d like to attack-*cough* I mean, counter a good number of comments made here. There's alot of pages and I mean ALOT of pages so sorry if these points been said or something. I just want to go after redundant arguments I hear all the time. First I?ll start with May.

May:
    - A lot of people here attack her abilities as a trainer. Yes, May starts out horribly weak but stop being so blind/biased!

Do any of you ?old-schoolers? remember Ash in the very beginning? He was horrid, a lot worse than May. Many bring up that at least Ash knew a bit before staring his journey. I?d like to see proof to that. In the very beginning, Ash proved to be nothing but a Pokemon obsessed fanboy who had tons of Poke goods in his room and knew jack-squat about Pokemon itself. Without Brock or even Misty there he would?ve been a lost cause. Heck, it wasn?t until Advanced Generation where the boy could finally identify a Pokemon without having to scan his dex for it despite seeing it for the umpteenth time.

-The next point is the whole matter that she sucks due to the Azurill matter? There was nothing wrong with it. She had no experience as a trainer and just listened to Ash?s advice to weaken her foe first. So, she sent out Torchic, who was her ONLY Pokemon ally in possession at that point! (By the way, Azurill is a NORMAL type) The Azurill ran and Torchic, wanting to either impress its trainer or feeling it was winning, chases after it without May?s orders. Only to get jumped by Azurill and two of its higher forms with Water Gun and thus, its beaten? Not because of type advantage alone but because it was OUTNUMBERED!!! If anything, I?m more shocked that Norman (a said compassionate about battles Gym Leader) allowed his Daughter to slack off and not force-feed the ideals of battle. Despite that, May progressed a lot quicker than Ash did as it took him roughly five seasons to slightly change. Yet he still abuses the Dues ex machina as heavily as ever. (More so than any anime hero I?ve seen in tournament based animes or anime In general.)

- Finally, the whole Coordinator thing. What?s the big deal? I like variation (I just hate the anime version of Contests aside from hating the anime as a whole) Ash- wants to be a master (<sarcasm> good luck with that buddy.) Brock- Dreams to be a breeder. Misty- Best water trainer, yet did little to attempt it just clash with Ash?s goals. Max- Dreams to be a trainer one day so follows Ash as his navigator and attentive student/follower (sorta) May- Never gave a crap about Pokemon but saw it as the best excuse to ditch home and travel. Overtime she saw they (Pokemon) weren?t that bad and saw more interest in Contests (less work as she thought and the idea of glamour appealed to her.) So May?s more of material girl, so what? She grows up and changes (one of the few chars in the anime to actually change slightly if not starts off to be rather intriguing as a main character vs. the likes of Ash before becoming one-dimensional like the rest.)

I?d rather not even go into your personal biases like she?s annoying and boring I found both Misty and May obnoxious in their own right as well as share other one track flaws.

But let?s forget that and move right into the Misty counters:

Misty:
    - Wow, Misty has a Gyarados. Big deal? Why didn?t the genius call out that oh so mighty over-hyped city destroyer when her friends (two of them who didn?t even know her well enough but still wished to protect her) were risking their lives for her?

- I'm gonna ignore the blind praise/bash comments and moving on to the next point.

- Look, any and all overt emotion she has for Ash is dub only! Ash never mentioned Misty in Movie 6 and the whole Misty?s song thing along with every other added ?OMG she LUVSLUVSLUVS him!!!!? crap is all added by 4Kids!

One would argue my words saying that: "They argue all the time only the cutest couples fight constantly." If that's true then love is blind. I don't call putting someone down constantly insulting them (abusing them physically and mentally Ranma and Akane) and making them feel bad about themselves love.
    Or: "They look cute together!" Umm...If you say so who am I to judge after reading the manga version of the anime and Pokemon Special somewhere in the dark depths of my bitter loathing soul thought that too... (But then again I?m a Luckyshipper so there.)

Can we just for once overlook romance, stop reading between the lines and drooling for extra affection between youths and just go read some shoujo manga if that?s what your into!

Now for my MAIN points on these chars:

For Misty:
    Well, yeah she's tagged along with Ash for about five seasons. And as though as you don't want to admit it was the hugest thorn in his side since then. Of course I won't rule out the fact Misty looks out for Ash (after all the time she followed him over a bike she would begin to see his true face and soften up a bit) But lets face it, Misty was more of an obstacle for Ash's ambitions if not his biggest critic. (Worse so than Gary at times who had more of a reason to put Ash down since he was his greatest rival)
    Why?
    1) Well let?s look all the way back in Ash gets a Bulbasaur ep Ash sees an Oddish and wants to capture it Misty says she?ll catch it even though Ash confirmed he saw it first. Ash stands back and watches Misty get humiliated by Bulbasuar. Only to try get his Butterfree humiliated by the mighty Grass starter.

2) I'll skip the rest of Indigo (since I don't even want to get started on the whole Togepi thing) and go to Orange Islands when Ash and his party visit that Island full of bugs. Ash, for one reason or another wished to re-capture a Caterpie (out of all the bugs in the forest) Misty freaks out and drags our helpless hero out of the area in fear. Ruining Ash's efforts to catch 'em all (as he planned to do in the very beginning. Most likely our little friend forgot this himself.)

3) Remember the battle over Totodile ep? Thinking many who had Misty on their dislike list forgotten that little thing the writers again had Misty try to sabotage Ash's efforts in Pokemon capture. Though it made more sense for Misty wanting Totodile (since Oddish is grass type and Misty plainly wanted it since she thought it was cute) the ends justify the means and Ash was the one who originally went after the Totodile with Misty ruining his efforts. (Of course we don't know whose ball hit the fleeing Totodile but I believe it was obviously Ash's since his ball looked a bit farther ahead of Misty's by a few inches)

4) When Ash gets baby Larvitar. I remember how Misty and Brock criticized Ash on how he babied the little Pokemon rather than started training it. I was pretty annoyed by this scene since I felt neither character was inclined to lecture Ash over anything. Brock aims to be a Pokemon Breeder you think he'd understand how a fresh-hatched Pokemon would act. Misty, well considering how she babies Togepi to death (yes, I know in the Orange Island story arc she was said to "train Togepi off-screen but failed in her efforts" that's not saying much, if anything that would only make one especially those who dislike Misty question her talent as a trainer so lets skip that to not give those guys (like me) the pleasure.) that really gave me the sign of a hypocrite.

For May: The bane of Misty fans existence. They love to flame her and look so horrible in their AAML fics simply because she replaced an already stale character...

It?s obvious I?m a fan of the R/S female and her manga counterpart Sapphire. But before those shippers attack me: No ok, just no! Never! I don't see romance possible in the Pokemon anime!
    But I will say yes, from what I can tell both characters (Ash and May) share more in common: Unshakeable determination to win their Gym battles/Contests. Both started off as horrid trainers until taken under proper guidance only to become ?amazingly talented? in their trade later... (Though I'm still one of those who seriously questions Ash's so-called potential...)

All I?m saying is: You?re a complete Mistytard/Maytard good for you. But leave these stupid wars outta this. And stop reading so deep in between the lines and assuming crap that suites your fandom! You know its not true/being stretched too far so cut it out! Just enjoy the show and remember your said fav chars "glory days."

And anyone of you find the Mistytard/Maytard line offensive tell me and I?ll remove it ASAP.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Yes. Yes I find it offensive!

Nah, just joking! I'm cool with it!

And don't read between the lines? Who's to say you didn't? (I mean, look how long that post was!)

If you didn't hear me say it already, listen well. If you have, too bad, I'll say it again. Romance between any of the main characters that follow Ash (emphasis on main characters that follow Ash) isn't likely to happen. As much as I wish it to be true, I personally don't want to see that happen anytime soon because, as far as I'm concerned, he's still 10 years old! There's no evidence that he's "aged" physically. Mentally, he's just learned new things, and I don't consider that "aging."

Meitantei Issac said:
    Do any of you ?old-schoolers? remember Ash in the very beginning? He was horrid, a lot worse than May. Many bring up that at least Ash knew a bit before staring his journey. I?d like to see proof to that.

Okay... He knew what a Pidgey was. He knew that the majority of Pok?mon can only speak their own specie's name. And, of course, he knew that a large flock of birds are quite dangerous.

Also, I'm not here to bash anyone. I know that May is quite a capible trainer. She was better off only because of Ash's guidence. Or at least that's what she thought...

Then again, she didn't stop her Torchic from running off after that Azurill the second time it hit a solid object. I mean, May ran up to it to see if it was hurt. After disobeying an order like that, I'd put that Pok?mon back in it's Pok?ball for the time being.

Meitantei Issac said:
    Why didn?t the genius call out that oh so mighty over-hyped city destroyer when her friends (two of them who didn?t even know her well enough but still wished to protect her) were risking their lives for her?
    Eh? When was this? Besides that, friends are friends. It's a kids show, so they have to show that friendship stops even the harshest of disasters. (or is that family or love?)

Meitantei Issac said:
    I'm gonna ignore the blind praise/bash comments and moving on to the next point.
    Good. Don't.

Meitantei Issac said:
    Look, any and all overt emotion she has for Ash is dub only!
    Okay. Hopefully, this will be the last time I say this. Misty likes Ash. Kasumi doesn't like Satoshi. There's a difference here, people! The Japanese counterparts are different from the English because of character. Each one of them has a different character. Anyways, yes, the love stuff is only in the English version. That doesn' mean that Japan won't follow up on it, however. Again, I've stated that in a previous post with Elite Trainer Raven and another, Japan does keep tabs on all translated versions, so hopefully, in order not to disappoint fans like me, they could in fact conclude this situation. Again, I don't want it to happen anytime soon as it could interfere with Ash's dream.

That, and seeing 10 year olds making out just freaks me out. Comon, it's a kids show!

Yes, Misty's a thorn in Ash's back, but isn't it a good thing? Her constant distractions could have mad Ash what he is today. She was always competative with Ash, and in turn, he became the same way. Maybe Misty's smarter than we thought because she knew that Ash would become a crazy trainer. Ash did in fact become that crazy trainer, and made it quite far in the Johto League Championships. His battle strategies were superb. He only lost because he encountered a strong Pok?mon he never saw before, therefore he had no strategy against it. Notice that Brock mentioned that Misty's battle style was becoming more like Ash's.

Although I absolutely hate to see it that way, Misty using Ash like that...

Meitantei Issac said:
    Though I'm still one of those who seriously questions Ash's so-called potential...
    Please don't get me started...

As much as we both want to see these wars end, Meitantei Issac, they probably won't end.

Lastly, I'd like to mention that I support both girls all the way! I don't like bashing in general. Both girls have a place in the show, although in my opinion Misty should change roles once again and follow Ash wherever he goes. Hey, nobody knows!

Isaac Gravity

Supports hot-bloodedness
    Years
  • dqle said:
    And don't read between the lines? Who's to say you didn't? (I mean, look how long that post was!)
    Like I said, I'm not a fan of the anime period. (I used to like quite a lot until the second half of the first series (I started to become too analectic at this point) and have watched when there's nothing else to do/eps of certain significance to me air. But just to feel like I wasted a good thirty minutes of my life.)

In all honesty I try to avoid "reading too deep into it" as that proof later becomes assumptions and that leads to empty evidence. I more of the type who analyzes in an unbiased manner what he watches even if I dislike the said character/situation. The post is just a long argument to dazzle the ball into my court. Not my fault, I just like to debate.

dqle said:
    Okay... He knew what a Pidgey was. He knew that the majority of Pok?mon can only speak their own specie's name. And, of course, he knew that a large flock of birds are quite dangerous.
    Fair enough, He DID know of a Pidgey and the whole flock of anything is quite dangerous to know when to run. It's common sense really. But let's not also forget the Pokedex pretty much informed him of the risks of those creatures and mentalities.

dqle said:
    Then again, she didn't stop her Torchic from running off after that Azurill the second time it hit a solid object. I mean, May ran up to it to see if it was hurt. After disobeying an order like that, I'd put that Pok?mon back in it's Pok?ball for the time being.
    As I'm gonna compare Ash in his beginings here and you'd rather not "get started" I'll just say: "Yes you have a point BUT..."

dqle said:
    Eh? When was this? Besides that, friends are friends. It's a kids show, so they have to show that friendship stops even the harshest of disasters. (or is that family or love?)
    It was that whole two part Togepi Mirage Kingdom ep one.

dqle said:
    Yes, Misty's a thorn in Ash's back, but isn't it a good thing? Her constant distractions could have mad Ash what he is today. She was always competative with Ash, and in turn, he became the same way. Maybe Misty's smarter than we thought because she knew that Ash would become a crazy trainer. Ash did in fact become that crazy trainer, and made it quite far in the Johto League Championships. His battle strategies were superb. He only lost because he encountered a strong Pok?mon he never saw before, therefore he had no strategy against it. Notice that Brock mentioned that Misty's battle style was becoming more like Ash's.
    I really don't know about that. I suppose it must play into one's personality. I would never put up with someone like Misty from the get go. Even if I DID owe her something.

dqle said:
    Please don't get me started...
    As much as we both want to see these wars end, Meitantei Issac, they probably won't end.

Sorry, I'm not all too fond of Ash as a character or his "talent." But anyway to the point of debate... You probably have a point there. It'll never end. Even if the characters themselves get along well...

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back