• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Nintendo is Falling Apart

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigBoss

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Sep 14, 2007
    Yukito said:
    Notice theres no Microsoft stuff in the first link there, XD
    In my opinion, those polls prove close to nothing. You can't exactly judge a system by the games that sold most in a certain year >>

But you can see that PS2 is stll owning the rest of the systems, and that Nintendo's Craze has begun to stop.

This may change when everybody notices Twlight Princess, tho. I think 2005's poll is gonna have a bit more Nintendo in it.

Arcanine

There is no "-tina"
    Years
    DarkLink said:
    But you can see that PS2 is stll owning the rest of the systems, and that Nintendo's Craze has begun to stop.

This may change when everybody notices Twlight Princess, tho. I think 2005's poll is gonna have a bit more Nintendo in it.
    Selling more games, yes. Selling more systems, no.
    The GBA owns the system market on selling the most systems.
    And the main reason why the PS2 has sold far more systems then the GC is because it came out a year before the GC.
    The DS owns the PSP on sells. By last month's GS news update the DS is has sold almost twice as many systems next to the PSP. And it only came out 4 months before the PSP (little gap with the DS to PSP but a big gap from the PS2 to the GC).

I was watching "Icons" on G4 today, and it was about the Game Boy.
    They were telling how the NES was a big hit. But Gunpei Yokoi (the founder of the Game Boy and played a big part in founding Nintendo's video game line) thought it would be good to make a hand held. So he made the Game Boy, and it was a really big hit. Nintendo said 9 companies made handhelds to compete with the Game Boy. Two of the largest were, the Sega Game Gear, and the Atari Lynx. They were way better then the Game Boy, the screens were larger, they were in color, the graphics were better. But in the end all 9 died out and Nintendo's Game Boy was the only one standing. Sony makes the the 10th attempt to take Nintendo's crown for the king of the handhelds. I'm not saying they won't take it, but it might end up like the Atari Lynx (people would throw it in the trash, sell it off, go out and buy a Game Boy and forgot the Lynx). We all know the PSP has an MP3/4 player, a movie player, a photo album, better graphics and so on. But at the time, the Sega Game Gear and the Atari Lynx was way better then Game Boy. But you don't see any Sega or Atari handhelds anymore. Hell you don't even see any more Sega or Atari systems anymore.

Nintendo has been around since the 1970's (if you want to count when it was in the game card making business, then it's been around since 1889) And they are still here, still making systems, still making games, still coming up with new ideas, and still one of the leading video game leaders out there. They might not sell as many GC's as Sony's PS2. They might not sell as many games as the PS2 and X-Box. But Nintendo isn't "Falling apart" or "Dying out" or "Fading away" or anything like that. It's video game line has been around over 30 years and it's still going strong. And I don't see it dying out anytime soon with the stuff they got planed for the next gen systems (the PS3 and the 360 might have more power then the Rev. But so did Sega and Atari with both their handhelds and consoles. And you don't hear "Sega" and "Atari" in the game news much now days).

Ninja

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Jul 16, 2005
    Arcanine said:
    Selling more games, yes. Selling more systems, no.
    The GBA owns the system market on selling the most systems.
    And the main reason why the PS2 has sold far more systems then the GC is because it came out a year before the GC.
    The DS owns the PSP on sells. By last month's GS news update the DS is has sold almost twice as many systems next to the PSP. And it only came out 4 months before the PSP (little gap with the DS to PSP but a big gap from the PS2 to the GC).

The PSP isn't even out in Europe. The 4 month gap does matter, it isn't little. Plus, I considered this entire thread about how Nintendo isn't holding it's domain down in the living room. I.E. The Gamecube. I know the GBA is selling way more than the PS2. But they're not very comparable. The GBA is a handheld, taken anywhere you want. The ps2 is mainly kept inside the home for use there. I know we're talking about Nintendo in general, but the GBA isn't the thing that's at hand here. It's the GameCube. :P

Nintendo has been around since the 1970's (if you want to count when it was in the game card making business, then it's been around since 1889) And they are still here, still making systems, still making games, still coming up with new ideas, and still one of the leading video game leaders out there. They might not sell as many GC's as Sony's PS2. They might not sell as many games as the PS2 and X-Box. But Nintendo isn't "Falling apart" or "Dying out" or "Fading away" or anything like that. It's video game line has been around over 30 years and it's still going strong. And I don't see it dying out anytime soon with the stuff they got planed for the next gen systems (the PS3 and the 360 might have more power then the Rev. But so did Sega and Atari with both their handhelds and consoles. And you don't hear "Sega" and "Atari" in the game news much now days).

Are you kidding? Sega is pumping more games out than Nintendo. Not as a console, mainly as a Publisher and a Developer. Atari isn't making as much but they have a crap load of games that are coming out in the near future. Hell they had a few games this year too.

My stance on the 'Is Nintendo Falling Apart' question. In my opinion, in the console area they are falling apart rapidly. In the handhelds they are doing excellent.

I was watching "Icons" on G4 today, and it was about the Game Boy.
    They were telling how the NES was a big hit. But Gunpei Yokoi (the founder of the Game Boy and played a big part in founding Nintendo's video game line) thought it would be good to make a hand held. So he made the Game Boy, and it was a really big hit. Nintendo said 9 companies made handhelds to compete with the Game Boy. Two of the largest were, the Sega Game Gear, and the Atari Lynx. They were way better then the Game Boy, the screens were larger, they were in color, the graphics were better. But in the end all 9 died out and Nintendo's Game Boy was the only one standing. Sony makes the the 10th attempt to take Nintendo's crown for the king of the handhelds. I'm not saying they won't take it, but it might end up like the Atari Lynx (people would throw it in the trash, sell it off, go out and buy a Game Boy and forgot the Lynx). We all know the PSP has an MP3/4 player, a movie player, a photo album, better graphics and so on. But at the time, the Sega Game Gear and the Atari Lynx was way better then Game Boy. But you don't see any Sega or Atari handhelds anymore. Hell you don't even see any more Sega or Atari systems anymore.

Yeah, a lot of companies pulled out handhelds that were much more powerful than the GameBoy, but the GameBoy kept truckin'. But the PSP is doing a lot better than all of those handhelds. It has a lot more promise. I know a lot of people that own em'. I don't think the PSP will take over the GBA domain, but the DS might not have a chance against the PSP.

I hope this clears up my entire stance on everything. I don't hate Nintendo, I just think they aren't doing well in the console business.

DeathScape

Banned
    Years
    Sorry if someone said this, I haven't posted in this thread in awhile.

I think people like the XBox and PS2 better because you can watch DVDs on it. Nintendo GameCube is under rated. It's my favorite system.

WhereAmI

Beginning Hacker
    Years
    Dark Penguin said:
    Yeah, the PSP's games really lack the innovation of the DS's games. The PSP's games are straight-out modifications of the PS2's games, just on a smaller screen but more portable.

Twisted Metal: Head On
    Old favorite. Made by the same people of TM 1,2 and Black.
    New Wishes, New people, Classic Twisted Metal Multi-player fun to go with you.
    That may be a scaled down version, but NES Classic Series.
    GTA: Liberty City Stories.

New Character, New Storyline.

Not just a smaller version like you would think with games like MCIII : DE.

If Nintendo wasn't worried, why come out with a new Gameboy to do many things the PSP does?

Game Boy Micro Hands-On
    Instead of reinventing the Game Boy, Nintendo looks to latch onto the iPod, and other fashionable technological gadgets, with its shrunken down and customizable new Game Boy Advance System.*source=Gamespot.com

Ninja

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Jul 16, 2005
    DarkPenguin said:
    Yeah, the PSP's games really lack the innovation of the DS's games. The PSP's games are straight-out modifications of the PS2's games, just on a smaller screen but more portable.

So far the only game that falls under that criteria is Midnight Club DE. No other games are 'Straight-Out Mods'.

And from what I can gather the GBA has more 'Straight-Out Mods' from the GameCube than the PSP will ever have.

Years
    • Seen Mar 13, 2022
    WhereAmI said:
    Game Boy Micro Hands-On
    Instead of reinventing the Game Boy, Nintendo looks to latch onto the iPod, and other fashionable technological gadgets, with its shrunken down and customizable new Game Boy Advance System.*source=Gamespot.com

That's a laugh. Hmmm...what REALLY is trying to be an iPod...? THE PSP! I'm still laughing.

Gamespot can shove there opinions else where. No on really likes 'em anyway :P

Arcanine

There is no "-tina"
    Years
    instillation

Dilos Ekans said:
    The PSP isn't even out in Europe. The 4 month gap does matter, it isn't little. Plus, I considered this entire thread about how Nintendo isn't holding it's domain down in the living room. I.E. The Gamecube. I know the GBA is selling way more than the PS2. But they're not very comparable. The GBA is a handheld, taken anywhere you want. The ps2 is mainly kept inside the home for use there. I know we're talking about Nintendo in general, but the GBA isn't the thing that's at hand here. It's the GameCube. :P
    Well to bad for them if it's not out in Europe yet. The DS came out in Europe 3 months ago.
    Fine then, it's not little. Still doesn't change the fact the DS is beating the pants off of the PSP in sells (I want to see if Nintendogs will be a big a hit in the US as it was in Japan).
    The thread is "Nintendo is Falling Apart" not Game Cube. The GBA is well within the confines of Nintendo, thus meaing brining the GBA up is fine.
    So it's not very comparable? Nor is saying the PS2 to the GC on system sells. But people still brings that up every now and then.
    No I don't see it as "The Game Cube is at hand" because I know on every single thing the PS2 sitting next to the GC the PS2 will win (system sells, game sells and so on). But this thread isn't only about the GC, Nintendo doesn't only make Game Cubes. They make the GBA and they make the DS.

Dilos Ekans said:
    Are you kidding? Sega is pumping more games out than Nintendo. Not as a console, mainly as a Publisher and a Developer. Atari isn't making as much but they have a crap load of games that are coming out in the near future. Hell they had a few games this year too.
    Really? Ok from the start of 05 Sega has sent out 11 new games in the US. And Nintendo has sent out 13 new games (when Meteos comes out in 5 days it's going to be 14 new games from Nintendo) in the US (maybe I can find more new games that came out in Japan). Lets go to 04.
    Sega sent out 20 new games (19 is you count Sonic Heroes on the PC as the same game as the one on the PS2, GC and X-Box) in 04.
    Nintendo sent out 41 new games (39 if you don't want to count the two Pokemon eps on the GBA).
    Yes Sega is still making games, but their games are not making talk in the gaming market.

Dilos Ekans said:
    My stance on the 'Is Nintendo Falling Apart' question. In my opinion, in the console area they are falling apart rapidly. In the handhelds they are doing excellent.
    I don't see it. They still make games, they still get new games for it, they still sell games, they still sell systems. And most of all, they make money on their systems where Sony and Microsoft doesn't (well they lose like 4-9 dollars on each GC, but next to the PS2 and X-Box it's better then losing hundreds).

Dilos Ekans said:
    Yeah, a lot of companies pulled out handhelds that were much more powerful than the GameBoy, but the GameBoy kept truckin'. But the PSP is doing a lot better than all of those handhelds. It has a lot more promise. I know a lot of people that own em'. I don't think the PSP will take over the GBA domain, but the DS might not have a chance against the PSP.
    The PSP might own the DS (that is if it catches up with the DS sells) down the road. But in the end the DS is a side system for Nintendo (doing quite well for a side system I might add). Not really something that's going to make a new line and become the Nintendo DS 2 (if I remember right it was something shot out there to counter the PSP). The next Game Boy for Nintendo is the Game Boy Evolution. If the DS won't beat the PSP the GBE will.

Dilos Ekans said:
    I hope this clears up my entire stance on everything. I don't hate Nintendo, I just think they aren't doing well in the console business.
    Don't give me that. I'm opened minded about game systems. I own a PS2 (hell I own two PS2's). My brother owns a PS. I own a PSP and he owns a PSP. I even have more PS2 games then GC games. But I don't go around putting down Nintendo in every thread and then say "I don't hate Nintendo" "I love nintendo". That is not someone that's a fan of Nintendo, it's a flat out Nintendo hater. Kevin hates the DS but he still stays good stuff about the GC. But all you do is put down Nintendo at ever turn, and then add a little something saying "I don't hate Nintendo" thinking everyout out there will take that as the truth.

Ninja

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Jul 16, 2005
    Arcanine said:
    Don't give me that. I'm opened minded about game systems. I own a PS2 (hell I own two PS2's). My brother owns a PS. I own a PSP and he owns a PSP. I even have more PS2 games then GC games. But I don't go around putting down Nintendo in every thread and then say "I don't hate Nintendo" "I love nintendo". That is not someone that's a fan of Nintendo, it's a flat out Nintendo hater. Kevin hates the DS but he still stays good stuff about the GC. But all you do is put down Nintendo at ever turn, and then add a little something saying "I don't hate Nintendo" thinking everyout out there will take that as the truth.

Don't give you what? I grew up on Nintendo. The NES was my first console. I played it to death. I loved mario. Hell I was a Genesis basher back then. I got a PlayStation, then a N64. I loved them equally. Then the GC came out.

I don't like the GC. Don't flame me for it. I like Nintendo, but does that not make sense because I don't like the GC? Wake up. The Nintendo has more consoles than the GC.

Please re-read my post if you're going to spew out untruthful false accusations. That's all you do. I was giving my opinion on the GameCube, and some foresight onto the DS.

I'm opened minded about game systems.

I'm open minded too. I've been open minded about the GC until I couldn't take it anymore. Just because you're open minded on gaming consoles doesn't mean you're the only one.

This is probably the first time on a forum but, you're really ticking me off. I'll keep my cool though. :bandit:

Really? Ok from the start of 05 Sega has sent out 11 new games in the US. And Nintendo has sent out 13 new games (when Meteos comes out in 5 days it's going to be 14 new games from Nintendo) in the US (maybe I can find more new games that came out in Japan). Lets go to 04.

Blah, you got me there. Well I think i'm going towards 'They are in the news!' instead of pulling out a false statistic on how Sega has more games out than nintendo, sorry. Just wanted to make a point that Sega is indeed in the news as a top developer. :D

Last edited:

BigBoss

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Sep 14, 2007
    Arcanine said:

Really? Wasnt the DS out in time for Christmas? (It was sold out everywhere during the holidays) It sold tons and got a BIG head start. On the holidays, also, the PS2, and Xbox were sold out while they had plenty of Gamecubes.
    On this years holidays, I bet the DS will still be in stock while the PSP will be sold out.

Kurosaki

Really? Wasnt the DS out in time for Christmas? (It was sold out everywhere during the holidays) It sold tons and got a BIG head start. On the holidays, also, the PS2, and Xbox were sold out while they had plenty of Gamecubes.
    On this years holidays, I bet the DS will still be in stock while the PSP will be sold out.
    If the PSP is so great as you guys make it sound, won't everyone have one by the holidays? XD

Hmm, it's funny how nobody is adressing the fact that Andy presented about the DS being just a side system. Like he said, the DS may be down in sales to the PSP at one point, but only the future can tell when GBE comes out. GBE... that just sounds funny saying it... XD

BigBoss

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Sep 14, 2007
    GBE, huh? If it has online and has as good graphics as the PSP, It could make a name for itself in the market.

Kurosaki

GBE, huh? If it has online and has as good graphics as the PSP, It could make a name for itself in the market.
    If it has online I won't be getting it, as I trust Nintendo to be more creative, and not use an idea thats been done numerous times before.

Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Jun 2, 2014
    The problem is that it's become a standard by now. Lots of people are being negative towards Nintendo because the Gamecube didn't utilize it's online capabilities. Besides, Nintendo announced that it's going to include online in all of it's next consoles.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
    Yukito said:
    If it has online I won't be getting it, as I trust Nintendo to be more creative, and not use an idea thats been done numerous times before.
    But it's becoming a standard and is something that's apparently expected in a system now. Wouldn't Nintendo loose some points if it didn't have online capabilities?

Ninja

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Jul 16, 2005
    Yukito said:

You won't get it if it has somthing good on it? Get used to it. The Revolution will have online and every little gadget from there on out will have it.

BigBoss

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Sep 14, 2007
    Tetsuya-san said:
    True or not-so-true? I must say - I've heard they've tried at Walkmans and failed yet again. Meh.

Walkmans were made by Sony >>; and they sell well here in America.

BigBoss

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Sep 14, 2007
    What's up with PC? The database was down again and it posted my message twice.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back