• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Help Thread: Plot, Planning & Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

JukeboxTheGhoul

Rocking Round the Clock
Years
  • On a different note, are these rules fair?
    When a key battle is happening, the outcome will be decided by the quality of your writing or a dice roll, leave your post open ended and you and your opponent should agree on whether to be decided on dice roll or writing quality.
    Your Inactivity Grace Period Is 84 HOURS Without Reason, (4 Days)

I really need a response on this.

Years
    • Age 22
    • USA
    • Seen Jun 4, 2015
    I think you should decide on writing quality or by random, and make it concrete. Just to eliminate any possible problems between players.

Also, 4 days is 96 hours.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    I really need a response on this.
    I've stopped judging on "writing quality" since this isn't FF&W and it's a bit unfair if someone isn't a native English speaker but trying hard, or if someone simply isn't great with grammar or spelling. However, creativity and wording is another thing, and that counts for me in determining such things :) Usually though, when people do PvP battles in my RPs, they usually decide on the winner beforehand, unless something unexpected and awesome happens in the post that they just gotta accommodate for.

Years
    • Age 22
    • USA
    • Seen Jun 4, 2015
    Would anyone be up for a Dragon Ball RP? I'm not sure how many fans we have here, but I've had a few ideas bouncing around my head. One of which is having a Neo-Z Fighters where everyone from the original team is gone, and the RPers are the new team.

Same goes for Avatar The Last Airbender\Legend of Korra. I had an idea for a 5 person roleplay. A bender for each element and a non-bender, who become a team and have to save the world from some evil force or spirit. Again, I'm playing with some different ideas.

Just wanted to check and see if anybody was interested. I'll probably work with one or the other, depending on what the general consensus is.

Foxrally

[img]http://i.imgur.com/omi0jS3.gif[/img]
    Years
  • Same goes for Avatar The Last Airbender\Legend of Korra. I had an idea for a 5 person roleplay. A bender for each element and a non-bender, who become a team and have to save the world from some evil force or spirit. Again, I'm playing with some different ideas.

Just wanted to check and see if anybody was interested. I'll probably work with one or the other, depending on what the general consensus is.

There was an avatar RP a few years ago, New Legends. It's probably one of the most enjoyable RPs I've been in to date, but it eventually died because people had to start leaving :( If you do plan on making one yourself then you can get inspiration :D

Anyone who was in that RP (SB, Magic, Geras, Sephy or myself) can tell you it was an amazing time and writing was really fun. The avatar world is an awesome place to RP in, I'll give you that.

Years
    • Age 22
    • USA
    • Seen Jun 4, 2015
    There was an avatar RP a few years ago, New Legends. It's probably one of the most enjoyable RPs I've been in to date, but it eventually died because people had to start leaving :( If you do plan on making one yourself then you can get inspiration :D

Anyone who was in that RP (SB, Magic, Geras, Sephy or myself) can tell you it was an amazing time and writing was really fun. The avatar world is an awesome place to RP in, I'll give you that.

That looks like it would've been fun. Thanks for showing me that.

I had the idea that Rava was destroyed, but used the last of her power to create 5 less powerful Ravas. There would be a bender for each element, along with a non-bender.

Thoughts? Advice?

Kamotz

Chronicler
    Years
  • This is currently what I have for another non-Pokemon RPG. Since it looks like Armored Core isn't taking off any time soon (which makes sense, it's a bit of a different style than many other RPGs on this site) I thought this might be more along the lines of things people are looking to join.

I'm looking for help on a number of different things:

1. I need to flesh out the Seven Kingdoms of Arcadia. As of writing this they're just pretty vague ideas. Background concepts that drive the story forward and serve as backdrops to our characters' quest. But I want them to be more than that. Different Kingdoms should have different feels, especially (as I explain in the spoiler below) since each kingdom has its own unique take on magic, spells, and combat. This, of course, leads into point number...

2. Classes. I tend to loath them. They're fine from a game-based perspective but when it comes to writing believable characters I find it hard to imagine that "actual" people in these worlds can't break molds. "Oh, fighting with fists? No, I'm a knight; once my sword is gone I'm essentially helpless." That said...they do serve as a decent starting points. And because of my loathing, I'm woefully ignorant when it comes to fleshing them out. My understanding of them essentially is limited to "fighter" and "mage" types. I don't really see much point inI really like what Deceptio did with Ascent: etc; that RPG is full of detail and thought. But the last thing I want to do is scavenge from that.

3. The "Bestiary". Again, what Deceptio did was great. Just the right amount of information. That said, do you think it's necessary for an RPG where these sorts of mythical creatures aren't encountered very often?

4. Finally...and maybe this should have gone first...but anything else you think I'm missing, or need to clarify, or have horribly mangled...please let me know!

Spoiler:

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Apr 5, 2024
    I have an Idea for an RP that I wanted to pitch, but it still has a lot of issues to hash out and wasn't sure where to post it.(This thread seemed pretty legit) I'll post an in depth overview when I finish college today.
    ^^

Years
  • This is currently what I have for another non-Pokemon RPG. Since it looks like Armored Core isn't taking off any time soon (which makes sense, it's a bit of a different style than many other RPGs on this site) I thought this might be more along the lines of things people are looking to join.

I'm looking for help on a number of different things:

1. I need to flesh out the Seven Kingdoms of Arcadia. As of writing this they're just pretty vague ideas. Background concepts that drive the story forward and serve as backdrops to our characters' quest. But I want them to be more than that. Different Kingdoms should have different feels, especially (as I explain in the spoiler below) since each kingdom has its own unique take on magic, spells, and combat. This, of course, leads into point number...

2. Classes. I tend to loath them. They're fine from a game-based perspective but when it comes to writing believable characters I find it hard to imagine that "actual" people in these worlds can't break molds. "Oh, fighting with fists? No, I'm a knight; once my sword is gone I'm essentially helpless." That said...they do serve as a decent starting points. And because of my loathing, I'm woefully ignorant when it comes to fleshing them out. My understanding of them essentially is limited to "fighter" and "mage" types. I don't really see much point inI really like what Deceptio did with Ascent: etc; that RPG is full of detail and thought. But the last thing I want to do is scavenge from that.

3. The "Bestiary". Again, what Deceptio did was great. Just the right amount of information. That said, do you think it's necessary for an RPG where these sorts of mythical creatures aren't encountered very often?

4. Finally...and maybe this should have gone first...but anything else you think I'm missing, or need to clarify, or have horribly mangled...please let me know!

Spoiler:

This is an interesting concept but I'm worried about the scale. RPs that have such a wide variety of vast setting can be extremely hard to manage so you might want to look into making it political factions within one empire for ease of GMing, bearing in mind an empire is a pretty large place.

Other than that I'll try to give a more detailed review later.

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Apr 5, 2024
    Here's a pretty in depth overview of what I've got so far. The concept is heavily based off of a story I wrote when I was 14 that's kind of stuck with me for a while. If anyone's watched the Michael Bay film 'The Island' then it's very similar to that.

In the past there was a mass disappearance of humans all around the world.(Still working on how it all happened) They have been taken to a remote island, seemingly in the middle of nowhere, and colonised in a huge underground bunker. Over the years that these criminal activities have been going on many have been birthed by those who populate the island. Both the offspring and the original captives have all been mutated so that they wield some sort of genetic enhancements (X-ray vision, cells that regenerate quickly etc. Think big but not too big.) Over the years these mutants have adapted to life amongst each other and the concept of life outside of captivity seems little more than a legend. Even the overseers never leave the island. You are one of these mutants, somehow you have found out about life on the outside(Would be written in the first post) and you want to discover it. Around this large island, the man known only as 'The Director'(May change that if I think of something that sounds better) has 6 other bunkers. (The RPer can decide which they'd like to be in) I was thinking I create one thing about each character that makes them unique(Other than the mutation), in order to escape the island. Of course that would require me to partially build their character which could possibly be a bit restricting.
    As far as GMing something like this it'd probably take a lot of monitoring and throwing clues around, I'm not confident I could be a good GM (At least not on my own)
    Thats the main gist anyway, once I've hashed out the major flaws(which there are a lot of) I can start working on specifics, but until then I just wanted to get feedback

Years
    • she/her
    • home
    • Seen Aug 16, 2023
    So... I already posted my roleplay, but some internal issues have been raised by members about the leveling system ( ´ ▽ ` )ゞ so I came here to get some last-minute feedback on that before I put the IC up.

Currently, I thought to use a system similar to that of PTA, with rounded off levels for the achievements you make. Generally:
    → Mission Clear = 2-3 levels up
    → Battle Post = 1-2 levels up
    → Nonspecific 'training' post = 1 level up

But players have been mentioning this may lead to leveling up too fast (while I actually thought to use this because it would be too slow otherwise, haha). And they'd rather have an EXP bar to keep track of their levels. I was just looking for some advice on how to implement that without it becoming too difficult to keep track of...
    I suppose I could also just let the players give themselves EXP as they go along? Or should I just stick to the current system? ( ´ ▽ ` )ゞ

Gray-_-Hatred

Choose how you live
    Years
  • Look...

A Role play is what I'm looking to make, one with Pokemon battles and actual physical fighting. 1 on 1 with powers and abilities. Now. How do I create a proper introduction for this? How should I organize this Idea. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. PM me or Quote me on your thoughts.

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Apr 5, 2024
    Look...

A Role play is what I'm looking to make, one with Pokemon battles and actual physical fighting. 1 on 1 with powers and abilities. Now. How do I create a proper introduction for this? How should I organize this Idea. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. PM me or Quote me on your thoughts.
    I'm pretty sure some one's already beaten you to the punch. Theres an RP called 'Pokemon-A new Way' that has a pretty similar idea to what you described.
    (I think thats the name anyway)

Gray-_-Hatred

Choose how you live
    Years
  • I'm pretty sure some one's already beaten you to the punch. Theres an RP called 'Pokemon-A new Way' that has a pretty similar idea to what you described.
    (I think thats the name anyway)

I know. I joined it because it was exactly what I was looking for. If you check the threads comment, you'll see I applied.

Unfortunately, The GM has been inactive, and I'm growing impatient :/

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Apr 5, 2024
    I know. I joined it because it was exactly what I was looking for. If you check the threads comment, you'll see I applied.

Unfortunately, The GM has been inactive, and I'm growing impatient :/
    Yh, I know. I checked the thread to see if I got the name right, and I saw your SU. My bad~_~

Years
  • So... I already posted my roleplay, but some internal issues have been raised by members about the leveling system ( ´ ▽ ` )ゞ so I came here to get some last-minute feedback on that before I put the IC up.

Currently, I thought to use a system similar to that of PTA, with rounded off levels for the achievements you make. Generally:
    → Mission Clear = 2-3 levels up
    → Battle Post = 1-2 levels up
    → Nonspecific 'training' post = 1 level up

But players have been mentioning this may lead to leveling up too fast (while I actually thought to use this because it would be too slow otherwise, haha). And they'd rather have an EXP bar to keep track of their levels. I was just looking for some advice on how to implement that without it becoming too difficult to keep track of...
    I suppose I could also just let the players give themselves EXP as they go along? Or should I just stick to the current system? ( ´ ▽ ` )ゞ

Personally I don't like using an experience system in pokemon RPs because they almost always end up going either too fast, too slow or are broken in some other way. I prefer to follow anime logic in pokemon RPs and just set some guidelines to determine things like the learning of new moves, evolution etc.

If you must use a system though, I'd stick with what you have. An experience bar system will just overcomplicate things and drain fun away from the RP.

Look...

I made a guide that you might find useful, have a look in the rules thread where there's a link to that and many other helpful resources. I will say this though, you need to expand on your premise with a setting and develop a plot first and foremost.

Gray-_-Hatred

Choose how you live
    Years
  • I made a guide that you might find useful, have a look in the rules thread where there's a link to that and many other helpful resources. I will say this though, you need to expand on your premise with a setting and develop a plot first and foremost.

I see, Thanks for the help, I'll be sure to check that out.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back