• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokémon Chit-Chat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Seen Mar 13, 2022
    Kyouraku said:
    You can't say that ;D

I saw that pic. Wasn't it the Shiftry pic? I would have done the sandstorm picture instead.
    Grass > Ground

So nyah. I don't like the sand one.

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
    Years
  • I'd hate to go back on the subject, but...

Paul said:
    Mantine isn't bad in the meta game, besides having a double weakness to electric =/ But so did gyrados.

Based on personal observation, it was still fairly forgotten compared to other Pokemon, especially -- for one reason or another -- Milotic. (Which is kinda funny because Mantine actually has better stats for its purpose than Milotic anyway.) In fact, I haven't seen a team involving Mantine for quite awhile. Maybe it's just been the server and boards I've been visiting.

aragornbird

(。◕‿‿◕。)
    Years
  • ~*^*~~*^*~ ~*^*~ ~*^*~ ~*^*~~*^*~
    Naminé said:
    Not really too fitting though... the plot is beyond terrible. I know that Pokemon game doesn't really focus on the concept of "plot" so much, but seeing how they tried with Team Magma/Team Aqua and the gamecube games, it's safe to say that Pokemon and "good plot" are not fitting with each other.

Compare true "teen games" like Kingdom Heart series... I think it's rather obvious what's wrong with Pokemon and why it's a kids' game, and it merits the title of "kids' game" rightfully so.

Plotwise, I couldn't care less. What older players like about Pokemon is the battling (especially competitive battling). There's so much involved in battling that little kids can't grasp, like the element of prediction, team roles, and all the invisible stats involved like EVs, IVs, damage calculations etc.

~*^*~~*^*~ ~*^*~ ~*^*~ ~*^*~~*^*~

Natsuki

.bluefang.
    Years
  • aragornbird said:

Plotwise, I couldn't care less. What older players like about Pokemon is the battling (especially competitive battling). There's so much involved in battling that little kids can't grasp, like the element of prediction, team roles, and all the invisible stats involved like EVs, IVs, damage calculations etc.

I agree with Birdy on this one. In fact, I think the games were actually directed a little more towards older kids because of the strategic value, whereas the anime and movies were made more with younger kids in mind. Of course either age group could be involved in the games and the series of they want, I'm just saying~ 8D

~Kelsey

Smarties-chan

Should've had that name change
    Years
    • Age 22
    • Seen Sep 12, 2015
    In my opinion, the Pokémon games are suitable for people of all ages. Just playing through the game can be more than a challenge to those who don't know anything about EVs, IVs, movesets etc, while for those who do, the games rarely prove to be a challenge. Playing the game through like this is really no problem once you get the hang of EVs, movesets etc. And that's why we have competitive battling, where you can match up with someone of your skill level (I had no such luck untill very recently though. I have a couple of friends who used to play Pokémon, but they were both completely horrible. I remember my friend bragging with his Gyarados with Thunder, Fire Blast, Blizzard and Hyper Beam x_x Good thing I now have my brother to compete with).

The games can atleast prove to be somehow challenging for anyone as long as you use the right Pokémon though. Let's say you have a fully EV trained team with a perfect team set up, the best movesets and the strongest OU Pokémon (even though many UUs, like Cradily, for example, can easily defeat many standard OU Pokémon.) and you're a player who knows how to use them. The games won't be much of a challenge now, will they? But let's start a new game and make a team with the Pokémon Mantine, Murkrow, Wigglytuff and equally unerdused Pokémon (I'm not saying any of these would be bad Pokémon if used correctly. Most Pokémon with atleast decent movepools can be surprisingly useful. How often do you see a Sharpedo, for example? I thought so, but it's still a perfect CBer and Heracross counter, it easily ohKOs Heracross with Hidden Power flying, and even if it was an endure/reversal Heracross Sharpedo's Rough Skin would take care of it). This would prove to be at least slightly more challenging, nay? It's all about wether you want it to be challenging or wether you just want to kick every trainer's butt efortlessly.

Emma

Years
    • Seen Aug 19, 2012
    Smarties-kun said:
    In my opinion, the Pokémon games are suitable for people of all ages. Just playing through the game can be more than a challenge to those who don't know anything about EVs, IVs, movesets etc, while for those who do, the games rarely prove to be a challenge. Playing the game through like this is really no problem once you get the hang of EVs, movesets etc. And that's why we have competitive battling, where you can match up with someone of your skill level (I had no such luck untill very recently though. I have a couple of friends who used to play Pokémon, but they were both completely horrible. I remember my friend bragging with his Gyarados with Thunder, Fire Blast, Blizzard and Hyper Beam x_x Good thing I now have my brother to compete with).

The games can atleast prove to be somehow challenging for anyone as long as you use the right Pokémon though. Let's say you have a fully EV trained team with a perfect team set up, the best movesets and the strongest OU Pokémon (even though many UUs, like Cradily, for example, can easily defeat many standard OU Pokémon.) and you're a player who knows how to use them. The games won't be much of a challenge now, will they? But let's start a new game and make a team with the Pokémon Mantine, Murkrow, Wigglytuff and equally unerdused Pokémon (I'm not saying any of these would be bad Pokémon if used correctly. Most Pokémon with atleast decent movepools can be surprisingly useful. How often do you see a Sharpedo, for example? I thought so, but it's still a perfect CBer and Heracross counter, it easily ohKOs Heracross with Hidden Power flying, and even if it was an endure/reversal Heracross Sharpedo's Rough Skin would take care of it). This would prove to be at least slightly more challenging, nay? It's all about wether you want it to be challenging or wether you just want to kick every trainer's butt efortlessly.

I agree, people will enjoy the Game both ways, Even though Challenging, young children would enjoy it, And when learning new things about battling, Movesets etc.. Older players will also enjoy the game.

So either ways, The games are for everyone xD

Years
  • Here's a question. How do you get all pokemon on leafgreen? How do i link them over from the other games. I don't understand how:s This are bothering me....

Years
    • Seen Mar 13, 2022
    You just use the wireless adapter to trade between FireRed and Emerald, and the link cable for Ruby/Sapphire...

Not too difficult :<

Years
  • Paul said:
    You just use the wireless adapter to trade between FireRed and Emerald, and the link cable for Ruby/Sapphire...

Not too difficult :<

AH, but is it just from emerald? Can you not link from crystal, silver or gold?

Natsuki

.bluefang.
    Years
  • Lt. Surge's Raichu said:
    AH, but is it just from emerald? Can you not link from crystal, silver or gold?

I'm pretty sure that you trade between R/S and G/S/C, then you can trade between R/S and FR/LG. I could be totally wrong though, as I've never done it myself. XD

~Kelsey

Years
    • Seen Mar 13, 2022
    Nope, it's only compatible with the GBA version games.

Kelsey, of course you can't do that o___o;; The hardware isn't compatible between the GBC and GBA, and the games aren't either. .-.;

Natsuki

.bluefang.
    Years
  • Paul said:
    Nope, it's only compatible with the GBA version games.

Kelsey, of course you can't do that o___o;; The hardware isn't compatible between the GBC and GBA, and the games aren't either. .-.;

Oh...well then ignore me please. XD; I haven't played those games in so long I forgot what's compatible and what's not. XD

~Kelsey

Years
    • Seen Mar 13, 2022
    Rika said:
    Oh...well then ignore me please. XD; I haven't played those games in so long I forgot what's compatible and what's not. XD

~Kelsey
    So nice to hand out advice then ;P

The GB and GBC games were compatible, the hardware was similiar enought. But not between the GB/GBC and the GBA.

Pearl and Diamond will most likely be compatible with the Advance generation though.

aragornbird

(。◕‿‿◕。)
    Years

Hi Raichu! =D

Yes, D/P should be compatible with Advance through wireless. Good thing too, I've worked hard on my team.

Years
    • Seen Mar 13, 2022
    Not through wireless o_o;;

I'm thinking through the DS's GBA slot. Like how Pokemon Dash got the custom tracks. The DS's LAN is different than the wireless adapter for the GBA.

aragornbird

(。◕‿‿◕。)
    Years

Is that so? I wouldn't know, I don't have a DS at all. I'll need to get one to play D/P.

Years
    • Seen Mar 13, 2022
    DS owns all other portables.

It's teh coolest 8D I can't wait for the first online Pokemon game~

Years
  • Hi aragornbird=) I think it should been possible to link from silver/gold/crystal with lg and fr. I can't get all pokemon cuase i don't have emerald, that sucks

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen May 22, 2017
    Me too, I can't wait to see all the new types of Pokemon, and it's Wi-Fi feature's going to rule.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back