• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Post your unpopular Pokémon opinions

Years
    • Seen Oct 1, 2015
    This is my opionion, but I really wish they would stop making pokemon a baby show. It's an anime, not an American kids show. Animes are supposed to have subtitles if the watcher wants to watch in subs, but it's really difficult to find English subbed pokemon episodes. In addition, I feel like the anime series should have grown with us, not stayed exactly the same with everyone being perpetually 10 years old and female characters coming and going every year or so. Let's look at fairytail as an example to compare with pokemon.
    Fairytail does have English subs and dubs.
    Fairytail does not switch out main characters and never speaks of them again (eldolas characters do not count because they are technically the same main characters and are spoken about multiple times afterwards)
    Fairytail grew with us. The relationships we see in fairytail grew from barely knowing each other or being friends to being best friends and or lovers (ships).

In my opinion, (yes I know fairytail hasn't been running as long as pokemon) pokemon should have had these characteristics just like fairyatil. Pokemon should have just ended when they wanted to start back up with May and Max, and instead of starting again with May and Max and Ash and Brock, they should have created a whole new series for pokemon with all new characters or followed the story of characters we met on the way instead of making Ash continue his journey with all new characters.

Anime was never meant to be longer than a few seasons if that.

Another option would be for Ash to continue his journey with Misty and Brock by sometimes running into new characters like May, Dawn, etc and helping those new characters temporarily on their way.

I stopped watching pokemon once they got rid of Misty for good. Why? Because it became meaningless if the anime was just going to throw away characters everytime you got attached to them.

I also seriously hate how Ash never seems to age. I think this is a major flaw in more than one anime and makes it almost pointless to have a story. Anime should be telling us a chronological story of some sort with allowance for flashbacks and future sights, because without the story, all we have is a baby show. And that--a baby show--is just what pokemon has become.

Seeing how long this comment section is, I'm assuming no one qill see this and probably try to blog about it :P

Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2016
    I like Pikachu. I love using it on my in-game teams. Slap a light ball on him and I just love using him.

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
    Years
  • I fucking can't stand gen1, and everything related to it's damn region is tainted in my eyes.

*prepares for bashing*

Years
    • Generation 1 is WAY overrated (but I still respect Red; I like his canonical quietness).
    • Generation 3 is okay though FR, LG and the remakes are good.
    • Generation 4 is overrated with the exceptions of HeartGold and SoulSilver.
    • Generation 5 is good and is hated way too much.
    • The games better and better each generation, for the most part.
    • The entire anime isn't so bad. Mind you, it's not that good, but I enjoy watching it on the side.
    • Chimchar is by far my least favorite starter because I don't think monkeys are remotely cute.

Mawa

The typo Queen
    Years
    • Chimchar is by far my least favorite starter because I don't think monkeys are remotely cute.

THIS. Oh god yes!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Playing with OU pokemon is boring.
    fifth generation is awesome.
    I prefer the old 2D style than the 3D we have now (for the in game, not for the fights).
    We need another battle revolution game, when we can do fights on full 3D on our TVs.

Hexoc

Azumarill Lover
    Years
  • Trubbish is rubbish(not literally, but garbodor is pretty nice)
    Gen V is awesome
    Milotics need to burn in a fiery pit(they've nearly ended 5 of my nuzlockes. FIVE)
    Tepig best starter IMO, emboar too strong
    Chikorita is worst starter ever
    Gen I and II fanboys get annoying(although gen II is a good step up from I, I'll admit that much)

Years
  • I don't like the whole mega evolution thing. I think it is cheesy because it really doesn't seem to fit into the Pokemon universe at all. I think it's far too digimonesque. I know Digimon is essentially a rip-off of Pokemon, but I don't think repaying the "favour" is right. Not saying I dislike Digimon because I don't, I just definitely like Pokemon a lot more.

Junier

Fake Friends Forever (´・ω・`)
    Years
    • Seen Dec 5, 2019
    To be honest, looking at all these posts, it's very subjective whether any of our opinions are "unpopular" or not. A lot of people might agree or disagree with any of the perspectives given in this thread. I'd honestly just dub this an opinions thread in-general since we're all just sharing our thoughts.

And another reason why I tend to dislike threads like these is the lack of discussion. Everyone seems to be listing their thoughts with this "I dare you to disagree" vibe to them. So I'll evaluate on mine and hopefully trigger some actual conversation.

Black/White were the worst games of the main series. Of course they had plenty of likable aspects but B/W are games I'm hesitant to revisit. The beginning was very slow and limited with each Trainer using one of three Pokemon. The game itself made two crippling decisions: throwing away the familiar faces and going with an all-new roster of Pokemon and making the game very story-oriented. The Gen V roster isn't bad but the fact that no other Pokemon we know and love were reintroduced was. A lot of the new Pokemon seem familiar too. Woobat and Zubat, Geodude and Roggenrola, Tauros and Bouffalant... Might as well bring back the old guys as well. And Pokemon stories have never been that fantastic. Making the entire game revolve around an uninspired story about some nonthreatening villains really didn't do anything for me. Team Plasma had an interesting idea until it was thrashed for them being big bad baddies who wanna be baaaad for no reason.

Charizard and Lucario are well-designed, useful and versatile Pokemon. Kinda speaks for itself. Charizard is my favorite Gen. 1 starter and Lucario is probably one of my favorites in-general. They're fun to use and have tons of moves!

Fennekin and Treecko are the most lackluster starters by default. I've used Treecko a few times over and they've never quite done it for me. Pretty limited compared to the other starters. Not as many options and doesn't hit as hard as they should. Fennekin is probably my least favorite starter, though. Its moveset is much more limited than Treecko's. It has Fire moves, Psychic moves... that's it, really. It's a real disappointment when compared to Greninja and Chesnaught who have all sorts of tactics. Not to mention its Special-based but only learns physical moves, aside from Ember, in the early-game.

No Pokemon "deserves/doesn't deserve" more attention than another. They're all just fictional creatures, there's no need to take any aspects of them to heart. Pretty self-explanatory. I don't want to seem defensive over the Pokemon I like. They're motherfucking Pokemon. Why should any of us care that much?

KorpiklaaniVodka

KID BUU PAWAA
    Years
  • - Most AshXharem fanfictions are boring because they basically follow the same formula:
    Spoiler:

- Speaking of Lucario, I'm glad he's underrated competitively, but when it comes to its concept, its role in the story and M8 he's just ridiculously overhyped by fans.
    - I'd like to see Mega Manectric in UU.
    - Zygarde > Yveltal > Xerneas.
    - Chesnaught > Greninja > Delphox.

Years
    • Seen Sep 4, 2015
    Dragon is my least favorite type, and all of the Dragon Pokemon are overrated - with the exception of -maybe- Flygon.
    Gen 1 is painful to play, because having to manually select Pokemon to use HM moves like Cut is annoying.
    Delibird is a fun Pokemon.
    Charizard is an awful Pokemon, and I do not like it in any way.
    I don't like most Fire-type Pokemon, with the main exception of Oven Rotom.
    Pidgeot really isn't such a terrible Pokemon - especially when you're playing with Gen 1-exclusive Flying-types.
    All of the Gen 1 starters are boring to me.

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
    Years
  • Moar unpopular :D.

-I don't like Zekrom all that much. I think it looks badass, but that's sadly the only thing I can give it credit for. I've always preferred Reshiram in terms of power, movepool, and design(it looks more draconic.) and prefer Kyurem in terms of design(except for those small arms, ew.). And amongst the trio's typings, I like Dragon/Electric the least.

-When XY were revealed....I didn't like it....;-;

Years
  • Obviously these are opinions, not facts.
    -I do not like Smogon at all, I feel like it takes the fun away from Pokémon as it makes is feel way too serious.
    -I do not like Charizard, at all. It feels like Game Freak just fed the Charizard fans by giving it two Mega Evolutions.
    -I thought a majority of the character designs in ORAS were pretty bad.
    -I really like a majority of the Anime characters.
    -I wish they brought back the "Difficulty setting" from Gen V. (Easy Mode, Normal Mode and Challenge Mode) But make Challenge mode harder. I like games being difficult.
    -Generation V had one of the best regions and plot.
    -Red is an annoying character.
    -I don't like Greninja
    -Triple Battles are unneeded.
    -Metagross is lame.
    -I wish the game stories were longer and had more cities.

Years
  • I don't like Charizard. I've always found it very overrated.

It's just the fact that it doesn't really live up to the praise people give it - it doesn't have a great type combination so Stealth Rock makes quick work of it, it doesn't have Leech Seed and Toxic like Venusaur does, etc. I like Mega Charizard X though but not the regular version. It's still better than Typhlosion and Emboar though.

Though one Pokemon I do like that most people don't is Pidgeot. One of the few Pokemon that I use purely for its design rather than its battling ability.

Years
    • Seen Dec 7, 2015
    In my opinion, these seem to be pretty unpopular:
    - Charizard sucks. So does Mewtwo. Honestly, most of the generation one Pokémon do. Actually, there are very few Pokémon that I actually like.
    - Generation 5's new Pokémon are as a whole pretty good and better than G1s.
    - Twitch Plays Pokémon got old after the first run. It was actually already annoying during the first run.
    - The characters in Pokeani shouldn't grow up for one simple reason: it's a kids anime, and the target audience is around the age of the main characters. They don't grow up because they're meant to be relatable for children.
    - I like some of the Mega designs, but I'm still largely opposed to them as a whole.
    - G1 is a broken glitchy mess and the only thing it's fun for are its glitches.
    - Ash > Red lol

Kibbeh

The Star Warrior
    Years
  • I don't like DPP. I really don't. I don't find most of its designs memorable, I don't remember the gameplay being as fun as the other games, and overall just didn't like the generation.

I like trubbish. It's adorable. However, I can agree that garbodor is a gosh dang mess of a pokemon.

I like stunfisk because... uh... I really don't know at this point.

I tend to end up liking some of the Pokemon that don't evolve. (like Tropius, Roselia in gen three before she had Roserade, Miltank, and Lapras) I find some of them to be quite skilled when playing through normally. Competitively, though, I do admit that most of them aren't too good. But for a normal playthrough they've been great members.

Years
  • - Shipping characters is pointless and it gets annoying. Shipping characters of the same gender is just plain wrong.
    - B/W had a dull storyline.
    - Pikachu doesn't deserve all the hate it gets. People would hate Clefairy just as much if it were the mascot and not Pikachu.
    - I've never really seen Lucario's appeal.
    - I dislike competitive battling. It takes the fun out of the game and diminishes Pokémon's message (friendship, love, etc.).
    - People think too logically about Pokémon. Yes, the God llama can be caught by a 10 year old. So what? It's a fictional world.

Years
  • -BW and BW2 are amazing.
    -However, BW2's story is really weak.
    -Cyndaquil is bad.
    -Seaking is amazing.

Just my opinions.

Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2016
    There seems to be this massive hate towards Charizard and people saying that people only either like because:
    1. Nostalgia
    2. You're a "gen wunner"
    3. You're a kid and kids love dragons haw haw haw.

None of those reasons apply to me but I love Charizard and always will.

Also, Flygon is way overrated. (To me anyway)

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    - I dislike competitive battling. It takes the fun out of the game and diminishes Pokémon's message (friendship, love, etc.).
    Sounds a lot like, you don't know anything about competitive battling and you're just hating it, because it's different from what you're used to from the games.
    -BW and BW2 are amazing.
    -However, BW2's story is really weak.
    You know, without context, those two statements seem to contradict each other.

Reactions: Sun
    Back