• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Post your unpopular Pokémon opinions

Years
  • Sounds a lot like, you don't know anything about competitive battling and you're just hating it, because it's different from what you're used to from the games.

Sorry, I'm not really good at voicing my opinions...
    I don't have extensive knowledge of iv stuff or what moveset is used for a certain nature, but I know the fundamentals. Imo, everyone just takes competitive battling too seriously. I've talked to a lot of people who play Pokemon and if competitive battling were taken out, many of them would stop playing. As for me, I find it extremely dull and repetitive. I use my Pokemon regardless of egg moves, ivs, nature, or whatever. Still, everyone's entitled to their own opinion.

Junier

Fake Friends Forever (´・ω・`)
    Years
    • Seen Dec 5, 2019
    > associating two fiction characters of a shared gender romantically goes against personal morals

I always saw Pokemon's message as "Buy our merch" but maybe I'm missing something.

Game Freak is really vague with the Pokemon universe in-general. The franchise could use some logical thinking because a lot of aspects are overlooked/unexplained. Like, how does breeding work? Who runs these regions anyway?

Cyndaquil is actually my least favorite Johto starter. Cute but a little on the bland side.

"Genwunner" is just a ridiculous term in-general. Most of these "genwunners" are just people who don't like Black/White. You don't have to idolize every game of a series.

Here's an "unpopular opinion": Fans should stop feeling obligated to purchase, play and enjoy every Pokemon game. (This probably applies to a lot of franchises as well.)

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
    Years
  • I will automatically deprove anything that is a paain in the dick to grind....

...okay maybe with some execptions.

Years
  • I don't like legendaries. They make me feel OP and take the fun out of the game. (Especially with competitive battles.)

Hoenn is the worst region.

Too many dual typing. Steelix for example should just be Steel.

HMs should not take up a slot. They should be more like abilities.

Roller skates in XY are awesome.

Trade-evolutions should have an alternate method for those of us without friends or do not have the patience to plea hope someone will help u online (and not steal your Scizor!)

Polizard

Awesome Trainer
    Years
  • Shippers are annoying and read way to much into things.
    Genwunners kill my life.
    Gen 3 and 4 While they both have their issues are my favorite generation.
    I actually like all the added evolutions of older Pokemon (Togekiss Mamoswine ect) and would prefer if they evolved other Pokemon than give Mega.
    I don't think Mega ruined anything in Pokemon but I also don't think they really added anything.
    I think the anime is enjoyable and it is not offensively bad.
    I don't think Pokemon games have gotten any better or worse. With the notable exception of Gen 5 which is awful.
    I like most Pokemon and I think all gens have some winners and some stinkers. I just feel gen 5 has more stinkers than winner.
    Gen 5 starters collectively suck

ElCabron

Su Cabronito!
    Years
  • -X/Y graphics are the worst and the soundtrack is truly unnapealing
    -Mega-Pokemon are fun but it's ruining stuff when you know they can > almost any other pokemon (for the general player at least), it shouldn't be that OP imho but I'm dumb
    -Sinnoh > Unova/Johto > Kanto > Hoenn >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Kalos
    - Sprites >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Models
    - My opinion probably stinks

Shippers are annoying and read way to much into things.
    Genwunners kill my life.
    Gen 3 and 4 While they both have their issues are my favorite generation.

I don't think Pokemon games have gotten any better or worse. With the notable exception of Gen 5 which is awful.
    I like most Pokemon and I think all gens have some winners and some stinkers. I just feel gen 5 has more stinkers than winner.
    Gen 5 starters collectively suck

3 for 3.
    Blue is good, red is bad.
    By the way I never really find Red that cool!

FireSnow

Show me that Fighting Spirit
    Years
  • I love all pokemon and think there is a good way to use every one of them!

EVs and IVs confuse the crap out of me and i wish they'd go away lol

Sinnoh and Unova were the most interesting storylines

Johto, Hoenn and Sinnoh were the best regions (no particular order)

All the games were great! though i would appreciate a Skyrim style main series game, that'd be pretty cool!

Too many legendaries, causing the legendary status to lose its luster :(

That's really all i can think of for now

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    Genwunners kill my life.
    Do you mean people who've been around since gen 1 and who like it for that, or are you talking about people who think gen 1 is the best generation and everything that came after is bad?
    EVs and IVs confuse the crap out of me and i wish they'd go away lol
    Would knowing what they do and what they are there for change your opinion about them having to go?

FireSnow

Show me that Fighting Spirit
    Years
  • Would knowing what they do and what they are there for change your opinion about them having to go?

It would probably help change it a little bit. i don't know for a sure it would cause a complete 180 but knowing more doesn't hurt. i also get confused how you change them within games. Or if it is even possible within games! So much confusion ~_~

Polizard

Awesome Trainer
    Years
  • Do you mean people who've been around since gen 1 and who like it for that, or are you talking about people who think gen 1 is the best generation and everything that came after is bad?

Sorry, I will clear it up. People who think Generation I is the only good generation and everything that comes after it is crap. I have been around since gen 1 and i think all gens have their ups and downs. But gen 1 is far from perfect

Years
  • Sorry, I will clear it up. People who think Generation I is the only good generation and everything that comes after it is crap. I have been around since gen 1 and i think all gens have their ups and downs. But gen 1 is far from perfect

I agree.

While I do like the older generations for nostalgia purposes, in terms of aesthetic design and originality, the later generations have just as much merit, perhaps even more?

There's a weird sort of elitist attitude around Pokemon, as though if you are a late-comer to the franchise (I'm not), suddenly you're a loser if you like the newer generations because arbitrarily linked associations??????

I don't know, I quite like the newer generations.

Years
  • Mr. Mime is my favorite pokemon and I think he deserves a little more respect when people make fun of me when their favorite is a cliche legendary or starter (nothing against you guys)
    Gen six isn't all that bad, but the legendaries are kinda lackluster, especially hoopa
    My mind just kind of glazes over gens 4 & 5, like they're not all that exciting to me at all
    Merchandising puts way too much focus on the wrong pokemon, I think I've seen enough Pikachu plushie variations to never want to see one again
    I really don't care about Birthday Pikachu/Surfing Pikachu
    Mega Charizard Y looks really dumb
    Most of the Mega Evolutions look really Dumb
    I think the fan-made eeveelutions look better than the actual eeveelutions

Years
  • - When looking at the comments on the Team Aqua/Magma leader battle theme on YT, everyone seem to be all "Archie looks way more attractive/better/other random thing than Maxie"
    Personally, I find Maxie to be the better-looking of the two. And that's coming from someone who's been (and still is) pro-Aqua since the original R/S/E.
    - I really wish the starter clone designs from the first Pokémon movie were the actual designs. Stripy Charizard<3
    - Mew kinda creeps me out. Sure, it's really cute and stuff, but at least in the animé the design somehow makes me feel... Uncomfortable?

Years
    • Seen Feb 26, 2016
    • I love Delphox. Of course this unpopular opinion doesn't garner a lot of hate, but a lot of people don't like Delphox at all.
    • I don't like legendaries in general. The idea that people can go around with a bunch of "legendary" Pokemon and battle with them irks me. Not because they are overpowered (plenty of them aren't,) but because they are supposed to be legendary, they are supposed to be rare, ethereal or sometimes one-of-a-kind. I've gotten over it, I know people are going to use legendaries and it doesn't really bother me that they do anymore. But there's always this annoyance in the back of my mind when I see fan art of a trainer and their team, complete with Zekrom or Mew.
    • I don't like Serena (the anime character.) Granted, I have only seen 40 episodes with her, but her personality seems incredibly generic, if you can even claim she has a personality. There's very few episodes focused on her, and she never seems to have any strong opinions. In most episodes she just has a few lines of agreeing or cheering on the other characters, it's odd. Perhaps she will develop more in later episodes, but so far I don't get her at all.
    • I was disappointed in Greninja's design. I really liked Froakie and Frogadier when they were released, but to see their final evolution didn't have any fluff-bubbles in it's design and it's tongue *shudder* is hanging out and wrapped around it's body. Did not like it!
    • I like the designs of all the "pika clones" and I wish they were powerful enough to use in battle (technically I think Marill/Azumarill was the first Pika-clone, so there is that.)

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
    Years
  • Alright, I have good news. Do you think freindship evos are tolerable? In that case, I hate you, you're a hipster, and you must be out of your mind. Because I think freindship is the WORST evolving method in the game. Who knows, you could end up with a ****ing NFE at the league, or late game. Would you like to?

Back