• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Quick Question and Answer Thread / Breeding Questions

Tinhead Bruce

the Neighbour
Years
Besides the Power items, there is also the Macho Brace. To get this you need to collect all the Burmy Evolutions and show it to a man in Pastoria City. When he sees this he'll give you the Macho Brace which helps boost +2 EV's in whatever stat you are training in.

Gaining the Pokerus is also very helpful, because it speeds up the process in EV training. Just keep in mind, when one of your pokemon are holding any of these items, in battle you will move a little slower. Hope this helped.

I just wanted to add a few quick things:

In Platinum, you no longer need the show the man all three forms of Burmy. Instead, you need to show him both a male and a female Combee.
The Macho Brace doesn't add +2 EVs, it just doubles the EVs received.

Also, I just wanted to note that the chance of getting Pokérus is far smaller than getting a shiny Pokémon.

Last edited:

Giraffes? Giraffes!

ラヴィ・ヘッド
Years
I just wanted to add a few quick things:

In Platinum, you no longer need the show the man all three forms of Burmy. Instead, you need to show him both a male and a female Combee.
The Macho Brace doesn't add +2 EVs, it just doubles the EVs received.

Also, I just wanted to note that the chance of getting Pokérus is far smaller than getting a shiny Pokémon.

I believe you made a spelling error, it doesn't double the IVs, you obviously know that, just thought i'd clear that up so nobody gets confused who is new with IVs/EVs.

It's been resolved. Also edited.

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
Years
  • Age 8
  • +
  • Seen Sep 15, 2020
how do i know if i have ev's?

To know if your pokémon has all of its EV's [a total of 510] there is a lady in Sunyshore City situated in the plaza market where you buy seals for your ball capsules. If you communicate with her and the pokemon you EV trained is first in your party, then she may bestow you the Effort Ribbon. If she does not give you the Effort Ribbon, then you perceptibly haven't EV trained all the way, or you could've just messed up on the whole EV training system. This will acquaint you if your pokémon has all 510 EV's or not.

Last edited:

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
Years
  • Age 8
  • +
  • Seen Sep 15, 2020
is there a certain level you start getting ev's?

No there are no certain levels to where you can start. You may start at any level, but if you are EV training a pokemon that has already been trained before and has not been EV'd then you have to use the EV reducing berries. The EV reducing berries are:

- Tamato Berry: Reduces EV's for speed by 10 points
- Grepa Berry: Reduces EV's for Special Defence by 10 points
- Hondew Berry: Reduces EV's for Special Attack by 10 points
- Qualot Berry: Reduces EV's for Defense by 10 points
- Kelpsy Berry: Reduces EV's for Attack by 10 points
- Pomeg Berry: Reduces EV's for HP by 10 points

In addition to that, on your very first try at using those berries on a pokémon, it'll reduce the EV's by 100. After that, it deducts it by 10 points each. It is also very benificial because it increases the level of your pokémon's happiness.

Gymnotide

8377 | Scorpaeniform
Years
In addition to that, on your very first try at using those berries on a pokémon, it'll reduce the EV's by 100. After that, it deducts it by 10 points each. It is also very benificial because it increases the level of your pokémon's happiness.

Pretty sure the first berry will reduce EVs to 100, not by 100.

This means any value above 100 EVs, whether it be 101 or 255 will be reduced by an amount so that the total amount of EVs afterward is 100 (so, any number between 1 and 155). However, if the EV in any given stat is 99 or below, then each berry will reduce the stat by 10 points regardless. That being said, you need anywhere between 1 to 11 berries to completely erase the Pokemon's EVs:

And a very convoluted explanation:

0 EVs -- no berries needed.
1-10 EVs -- one berry.
11-20 EVs -- two berries.
21-30 EVs -- three berries.
31-40 EVs -- four berries.
41-50 EVs -- five berries.
51-50 EVs -- six berries.
61-70 EVs -- seven berries.
71-80 EVs -- eight berries.
81-90 EVs -- nine berries.
91-100 EVs -- ten berries.
101-255 EVs -- eleven berries.

And furthermore, it's always safe to feed the Pokemon berries until it says "that will have no effect."

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jul 8, 2017
Wi-Fi Questions

Hi,

I'm having trouble with wi-fi, I was looking at the wi-fi stuff for Australia on Serebii.net under "Current and Upcoming Events" and down to "Other".

serebii.net/games/currentevents.shtml#other

I went to the Wi-Fi plaza in platinum, and after it saves the Wi-Fi information to the card but comes back to me saying there is "No compatible access point in range. Check your connection settings and try again." The error code is 51099.

Is there anything I can do, or is it just my location that's the problem.

Thanks

Years
Friend Code

Does anybody knows how to get friend code? I've got Pal Pad but when I click on Dodo's code it says this:

To obitain your Friend Code please log on the Nintendo WFC.Please tell me how to get that code beacuse I really want to trade.Thanks in advance. :classic:

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Sep 7, 2023
You need to log into Wi-Fi first. Do this either downstairs at a Pokémon Center, or in the GTS building. Then exit, and you should be able to see your Friend Code.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Ohio
  • Seen Jun 1, 2012
Can I download wireless router or I need to buy it?

No, you have to buy it. Here's a little example of what I'm talking about:

http://www.consumersearch.com/wireless-routers

Then once you buy your wireless router, if you don't have an access point yet, start up your DS and go to Nintendo WFC settings. Let your DS find the access point, then go to the GTS and it should work.

Hope this helps. ;)

joelogs

region Explorer
Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2016
catching munchlax and heracross

i've heard from a site that your trainer id is a factor to catch munchlax and heracross. is this true?

Back