• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Quick Question and Answer Thread / Breeding Questions

Tekei

Meta Gamer
Years
  • Mmfph...you're gonna want to start breeding for IVs and maybe looking into EVing as well. There are giveaways that pop up every once in a while, you might be able to get something good there. Some traders around here are pretty lenient and happy to help out new trainers but yeah, it'll be difficult for you to get rare stuff from here if you're not specializing in anything. :(

First off, thanks for answering my questions! :)

Now, don't get me wrong, I'm willing to specialize (or well, I'm willing to give anything a try if it helps me fill out my pokédex). The problem is that I don't know where to start, heck, I barely know what options I have.

So IV breeding and EV training then. Would that be a better choice than hunting for shinies? If it is, would you mind explaining why you think it is? Also, is that IV-breeding just any pokémon or is there anywhere I can find info on what pokémon people prefer to use, what IVs and EVs I should focus on for those pokémon etc?
    And do people generally prefer their traded pokémon to be fully trained (as in lvl 100 with a finished skill-set) or just plain out of the egg (possibly EV-trained)?

I'm sorry for asking so many questions at once... I just have a lot to catch up with I guess.

Griffinbane

I hate Smeargle.
    Years
  • I don't know at this point. There are a LOT of RNG'd shinies floating around PC and a lot of RNG'd normal stuff. Even if you do IV breeding, it'll still be difficult for you to get into the trading biz. If anything, I'd suggest you learn RNG first. If you're successful, you'll be able to do a lot of trading without much problem. If not, then start doing regular ol' IV breeding. Smogon is usually the best place to see what would be popular, mainly because most people follow Smogon movesets and/or tiers. Anything in OU tier is a good bet, since standard battling is OU battling and a lot of people battle standard. Stuff in UU tier is good too. Stuff in NU though...if I were you, I'd stay away from the absolutely HORRIBLE stuff like Butterfree.

Tekei

Meta Gamer
    Years
  • Hmm, so just to clarify.
    You're saying that my best bet would be to use an RNG Reporter such as the one found at Smogon to hatch shinies with proper IVs/Natures?
    I guess I could give it a try. What I don't get though is do people have problems getting it to work or why isn't anyone who want shinies doing this themselves?

Thanks a lot for taking the time, it is very much appreciated!

Griffinbane

I hate Smeargle.
    Years
  • There's people who's lazy, there's people who haven't heard of it before, there's people who doesn't want to RNG, then there's people like me who can't wrap it around their heads and always end up messing up somewhere.

Tekei

Meta Gamer
    Years
  • Ok, thanks a lot for all the help!

I'll read up on the process during the week and we'll see how it turns out and if it's worth the hassle :P
    After all I'm mostly playing Pearl while I wait for B/W but then again I guess I'll need those Pokémon in B/W anyway.

Again, I'm very thankful. Happy hunting!

Years
    • Seen May 12, 2011
    Does anyone know were I can battle a Gengar, and a Gardevoiur in Pokemon Platinum for pokedex reasons?

According to my friend that plays Platinum, you can see Gengar in Victory Road via a psychic trainer. I'm not 100% sure, I don't play Platinum.
    As for Gardevoir, the same psychic trainer has one.

Hope this helps ^^

Years
  • is it easier to train in platinum? i want to play my Plat more so im thinking of switching over all of my breeding dittos, my stronger pokes, my ev trained pokemon, my masterballs, and my legendaries, and ev training items and such ALL over to platinum. would it be worth it? o_o

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
    Years
  • Well that's really up to you IMO go for it, Platinum is a better game all round.

Pika-power

Jesus of Suburbia
    Years
  • Hi guys!

I have a question about Friend codes.

When I type in a FC, it says "the friend code is wrong" and it shows a different one.

Help please!

Last edited:
    Years
  • Hi guys!

I have a question about Friend codes.

When I type in a FC, it says "the friend code is wrong" and it shows a different one.

Help please!
    Mate. If it says the Friend Code you've entered is wrong then the Friend Code you are trying to enter does not exist. Be sure to check with your pals that they've given you their correct Friend Code.

jcsimpson

Sing into my mouth
    Years
  • I've been having trouble turning my many breeded Feebas into Milotic. I've been using dry berries for the Beauty attribute to rise but I'm told the nature and such of a Feebas can help as well. Can anyone help with this ?

JollyRoger25

Dark Type Master
    Years
  • Alright, heres my question. I have two pokemon versions, and only one DS lite, is there anyway to use the Global trading station to transfer a pokemon from version to version, oh and the pokemon I want to transfer is the shiney Scuicune from the Gamestop event.

vaporeon7

My life would suck without you
    Years
  • Alright, heres my question. I have two pokemon versions, and only one DS lite, is there anyway to use the Global trading station to transfer a pokemon from version to version, oh and the pokemon I want to transfer is the shiney Scuicune from the Gamestop event.

No, Pokemon caught in a Cherish Ball cannot be traded on the GTS.

iamdragon

The slave becomes the master
    Years
  • Hey ppl not sure if this is the right place to ask this but here goes

Prob a stupid question but im goind to ev train for the first time. Iv read a few guides n understand what i need to do but i just want to double check that if the poke then im ev training isnt in the battle but has a exp share on that poke does not receive points? I wouldnt think it would but just want to double check

Thanks

Weavile05

Currently Hacking BW
    Years
  • I'm soft resseting for a shiny Chimchar
    Will it appear shiny in the picture when you click on the pokeball or do you actually have to go into battle first?

Back