• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: Roleplayers Daily Chit-Chat Thread (◕‿◕✿)

Xtrashy

Shy - Like really shy, super shy, like, extra shy.
Years
Nah. Pokemon is something most people here are familiar with, and perhaps other settings can be easier or more fun to get into even, if they have pokemon too.

I just always end up looking and seeing pokemon x anime/game sort of things and I'm immediately disinterested cause I just don't know the game or show it's using as a basis.

Years
I don't know what it is, but I just cant do the whole standard Pokemon roleplay anymore. Journey roleplays just bore me, and even a lot of the mystery dungeon type RPs seem to get old. I guess its just that I've done enough of them that I like doing other stuff more. I like that there is a lot of variety here. Some pokemon, some other stuff. Little bit for everyone!

Xtrashy

Shy - Like really shy, super shy, like, extra shy.
Years
I don't know what it is, but I just cant do the whole standard Pokemon roleplay anymore. Journey roleplays just bore me, and even a lot of the mystery dungeon type RPs seem to get old. I guess its just that I've done enough of them that I like doing other stuff more. I like that there is a lot of variety here. Some pokemon, some other stuff. Little bit for everyone!

Well I've never actually done a standard sort of pokemon rp. The most standard one I ever did was when I was dming for a game of Pokemon Tabletop Adventures.

PastelPhoenix

How did this even happen?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Nov 20, 2022
For my two cents, I think some of the reason why the classic pokemon adventure RP isn't done more is just how large of a sandbox they are. A lot of the RPs I see currently are more structured, with the occasional sandbox, but Pokemon sandboxes are large, slow, and can be more difficult to run if the GM decides to run themselves in control of wild Pokemon and Gym Leaders.

Not to say I wouldn't want to play one, but I can see why they aren't as common. I'd be interested in one if it opened, although I wouldn't want to run it myself when I don't even have Nightfall Watchers off the concept board yet. Maybe post one on the adoption thread and see if anyone is interested in taking over? Although I do think the Chit-Chat does have more visitors than the adoption thread.

Junier

Fake Friends Forever (´・ω・`)
Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen Dec 5, 2019
If the only goal in your Pokemon RP is long-term, activity will inevitably die down. Players need objectives, or at least ideas for objectives; an incentive to post other than "I'll reach that one gym leader eventually". That and it's the GM's responsibility to lead rather than to sit back and let the sandbox run its magic while gradually introducing new routes and areas. That might work for a month or two but things'll grind to a halt when players get busy/demotivated.

Do any "veteran" PC roleplayers know of a journey RP that lasted past the first few gyms? Crossroads got past Bugzy, I believe. That's honestly the best I've seen thus far.

I'd like to run a "journey" RP of mine own, eventually. Something with goals and a plot too it. We'll see.

Yeah, people should look at the Adoption Thread more. We need an audience to make it work. Though you'd probably need to suggest more than just "a journey RP".

Last edited:

Oddball_

Magical Senpai and god of the closet.
Years
Ive always said the problem with journey rps is that the players almost have too much freedom. Without something kicking down the door and pointing the players in a direction many rps stagnate while players try and come up with something fun and new to write about.

Jauntier

Where was your antennas again?
Years
  • Age 33
  • USA
  • Seen Apr 6, 2018
I've noticed a recent trend in Pokemon journey role-plays though, or rather, that three of them have/are taking this route:

The GMs write a bunch of missions and list a reward for the mission. Players pick a mission to do, but quite obviously they are motivated by the undisclosed reward.

While I don't take issue with basically writing out frameworks for little adventures that players can take up and flesh out for themselves, since that does garner interest and activity, I'm personally not too fond of the idea of stating the reward at the end. It becomes less about picking a mission for its own potential of an interesting and fun story line, and more about collecting items to further advance. It's an anti-climatic blow especially when the mystery of the mission itself is spoiled in the same breath (ex: "There's a saboteur in the county bake fair! Contestants are finding their cakes and pies half-eaten! Who among them is the greedy culprit? [spoiler: it's a Swirlix] Reward: Whipped Dream").

The GM only has to set out these missions and an expected end-goal and reward, and it's up to the players to write it all out, instead of a little surprise at the end where the GM says, well, for your hard work, you can write up your reward post in which you've rightfully earned so-and-so item or ability or so on.

I just think that's far more fun. Nothing wrong with having a formula for simple and reliable goal-making, but don't take away the excitement of surprise or the appreciation of a mission for its own creativity.

Oddball_

Magical Senpai and god of the closet.
Years
I'm personally not too fond of the idea of stating the reward at the end. It becomes less about picking a mission for its own potential of an interesting and fun story line, and more about collecting items to further advance. It's an anti-climatic blow especially when the mystery of the mission itself is spoiled in the same breath

I agree with this on so many levels, undisclosed rewards are more exciting. However I should point out that there are some characters who wouldn't do the work if there wasn't an obvious reward like getting some money out of it. That doesn't mean however, that there can't be EXTRA reward that they aren't aware of as a bonus for completing it.

Jauntier

Years
  • Age 33
  • USA
  • Seen Apr 6, 2018
I agree with this on so many levels, undisclosed rewards are more exciting. However I should point out that there are some characters who wouldn't do the work if there wasn't an obvious reward like getting some money out of it. That doesn't mean however, that there can't be EXTRA reward that they aren't aware of as a bonus for completing it.

Thank you.

I just think that if you present every mission on its premise, the reward will follow based on its completion first and foremost, and then how the story unfolded to reach that conclusion (that is to say, it wasn't all a post where the pie-eating Swirlix hopped around with jelly on its mouth). I don't know what player would refuse a mission because of no visible monetary award, unless other missions had a clear reward, either expressly or heavily implied. You'd wanna do it because its fun to be inventive with the plot given, you would have fun showing off your characters, and you're left guessing more vaguely, like "Hmm, this mission is in a cave, so maybe I can get a fossil or an evo stone out of it" instead of "This archaeologist is having trouble unearthing this strange rock, I wonder what it could be."

Years
I'm back, guys! I think this is the place to put this? I've finished three out of my four classes for the semester, and I finally have free time for the next few months before college! I'm excited to roleplay with you guys again!(In case you didn't know, it's <Challenger>/HTS)

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen May 12, 2016
hey guys, sorry if im hopping in with something suuper off topic
why does it seem like no one likes the side-series pokemon ranger games? im not being completely serious of course, but i can not find any rps around here or anYWHERe about or based on the side-series rangers! when i do find something about rangers, it's always main series rangers from the games, which are really trainers with special training.
i love the idea of the side-series pokemon rangers, i think it's awesome! especially the fact that they don't battle and only help out pokemon, i like the peaceful approach they take. the ranger games were some of my most favorite pokemon games and i think a pokemon ranger rp would be so much fun, especially if someone could come up with a great story/plot like in the side-series games crieesss

Jauntier

Years
  • Age 33
  • USA
  • Seen Apr 6, 2018
i can not find any rps around here or anYWHERe about or based on the side-series rangers! when i do find something about rangers, it's always main series rangers from the games, which are really trainers with special training.

If you do not want to make and lead your own Ranger RP, you should suggest the idea here.

I personally haven't figured a Ranger RP because I feel like that's an RP that, on its own, wouldn't really have an end. You just take mission after mission to save the distressed with a group of Pokemon, maybe rise up in rank as a prerogative to do even more missions, but then what? Unlike a Trainer Journey RP where the usual goal is fight the Champion, win, and drop off the face of the earth, a Ranger's work is never done. If there was a narrative for a big bad and its defeat marked the final goal of the RP, I definitely think a Ranger story would work, but the feeling of indefiniteness was my initial refrain from the idea.

Junier

Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen Dec 5, 2019
Jaunt advertising my thread, lol

Pokemon Ranger games always have a "Big Bad", don't they? It's been a while since I played one.

I think it's definitely an interesting prospect, though, based on how you explained it, tinygrass.

Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Apr 25, 2018

Seeing this gives me an idea for a Pokemon Ranger RP. You would be interested to join based on what I've read, no?

A problem of mine that in having here is that I feel nobody tends to respond to my posts. It makes me feel like I'm doing something wrong. A far away example was in Hoenn Chronicles, I felt like I was going too fast? I don't know about that one. But I really feel bad about A Kalos Story. My opening post is still currently the last post on the thread. My threads in the main forum hardly get attention when I post them, especially my interest check earlier. I feel like a total buzzkill wherever I go in this forum and I'm afraid that I'm going to somehow mess up Cornered. Help.

Junier

Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen Dec 5, 2019
Seeing this gives me an idea for a Pokemon Ranger RP. You would be interested to join based on what I've read, no?

A problem of mine that in having here is that I feel nobody tends to respond to my posts. It makes me feel like I'm doing something wrong.

I... might? I'm in two RPs here now and developing my own to run, as well as involved in other things elsewhere, so I can't make any promises.

But don't blame yourself for things like that. Sometimes I get way too involved into other people's perceptions, usually assumed perceptions. I think people are avoiding me or I think people might think X of me if I post Y. It'll only hold you down. Just focus on improving as a writer. If you'd like more responses, I recommend writing more affable, outgoing characters that would want to attract attention to themselves and see how that fairs.

And, trust me, you're not killing Cornered. Cornered never dies.

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen May 12, 2016
I personally haven't figured a Ranger RP because I feel like that's an RP that, on its own, wouldn't really have an end.
yeah, i see what you mean, but then i think that could also be a really interesting rp. when people lose interest they could just quit, and more people could join in whenever they wanted. i mean not to mention the drama/plot that the gm or even the rpers could make themselves. romance, angst, and all the other stuff can go on between the rangers to make it interesting. even better, there can be like departing ceremonies for when rangers take off to work solo and not a part of hq(which would be the player leaving the rp when they lose interest), which has a lot of potential to create its own drama and angst between the characters. and then recruitment ceremonies can create their own drama as well.
though honestly i only really ever experience an rp dying before it can finish. i have never gotten to get through a full rp thread
dud190 said:

of courSE YES DEFINITELY NO DOUBT ABOUT IT MY FRIEND

Jauntier

Years
  • Age 33
  • USA
  • Seen Apr 6, 2018
Unfortunately, dud190, I am not interested in a Ranger RP at this time. I'm sure others may if you ever got around to an interest check and fleshing out the basic points of your idea.

yeah, i see what you mean

i only really ever experience an rp dying before it can finish. i have never gotten to get through a full rp thread

Which is more so the concern. Things that don't have a definite end to work toward are more prone to fall into inactivity and then abandonment, because players may feel, overall, aimless.

But again, a driving, more directed narrative with a clear end goal would do the RP a service. I just think that when a lot of people think "Ranger" they think mission after mission or instance after instance, and without developing a story further they think that may be all there is to it.

I'm sure someone somewhere later will make a fairly distinct Ranger RP, or a more accessible Trainer RP with the Ranger class as an available protagonist option.

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen May 12, 2016
Jauntier said:
or a more accessible Trainer RP with the Ranger class as an available protagonist option.
honestly, that's all I want (TAT)
I mean an rp completely about rangers would be awesome, but that's what I was initially talking about in he first place. Its just that no one seems to acknowledge that rangers exist, or that they're a real class, yknow? Everyone just substitutes them for the... Trainer rangers...
I'm down for any kind of Pokemon rp, but it would just be nice to be able play a side-serirs Pokemon ranger

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
If the only goal in your Pokemon RP is long-term, activity will inevitably die down. Players need objectives, or at least ideas for objectives; an incentive to post other than "I'll reach that one gym leader eventually". That and it's the GM's responsibility to lead rather than to sit back and let the sandbox run its magic while gradually introducing new routes and areas. That might work for a month or two but things'll grind to a halt when players get busy/demotivated.

Do any "veteran" PC roleplayers know of a journey RP that lasted past the first few gyms? Crossroads got past Bugzy, I believe. That's honestly the best I've seen thus far.

I'd like to run a "journey" RP of mine own, eventually. Something with goals and a plot too it. We'll see.

Yeah, people should look at the Adoption Thread more. We need an audience to make it work. Though you'd probably need to suggest more than just "a journey RP".

There's "A New Professor In Town" that got through 1 and a half regions c:

Crossroads just started up again also and will reach 3rd gym soon! We're all heavily invested in characters and plot now, so it's not "just a journey" anymore.

Junier

Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen Dec 5, 2019
>quotes quip intended for advertisement thread as if it were made against all journey RPs

LOL, but good luck. Crossroads just comes and goes, it seems, but I'm glad you and your team have the motivation to keep on trekking.

Lemme read up on A New Professor In Town. Talk about successful.

Back