• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Simple Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    yah, i just killed moltres after it wasted 21 balls. i did everything to it, and still couldn't catch it. besides, i think it's the useless bird of the 3. when i caught articuno and zapdos, i only threw one ultra ball. stupid moltres >/

and whoa shane... i had no idea it was all that technical o.o. thanks for the info though. real helpful :). i also have one more question to ask (god forbid): is there any tricks to easily catching pokemon in the Safari Zone? i have bellsprout using sweet scent, so i've ran into a lot of Kangaskhan so far, but they always run if i throw rocks >/. they're the last kanto pokemon i need to catch for D/P. do you suggest any tactics to catching it?

lol i do the silly a+b tap constantly and that doesn't seem to help ._.
    That is because the a+b tap doesn't even work. Some people come up with psychological methods that they believe will work. That is fine, but in reality it doesn't. There is no sure fire method in the Safari Zone. Sweet Scent doesn't even work since you don't take your Pokes with you. You can use PokeBlocks though, but they only attract certain natures. It is all about perseverence. I don't throw rocks and I don't use food. Throwing rocks increases the chance of the Poke of fleeing while making it a little easier to catch. Using food decreases the chance of it fleeing while making it a little harder to catch. I just chuck Safari Balls and hope the percentages are in my favor. One trick I have found is that you immediately go to where you want to catch the designated Poke, Kangaskhan in your case, get off the bike, and then move back and forth without taking a step. This doesn't waste your steps, yet it will still cause wild Pokes to show up. If a Poke comes along that isn't your designated one, run away. Again, it takes patience, but as it should since most of the game is a cake walk anyway.

Yes, Pokemon actually is quite technical, and that is why I like it. I may get some ribbing for being so old and liking this game from people that only see it as a childish cartoon, which I cannot stomach either. They don't see the precision and the strategy that is involved with this game. That is why I complain so much about the craptacular AI. If GF can make a game so technical and strategic, why couldn't they employ difficulty settings? Why make all the gym leaders and every member of the E4 have such incredible weaknesses? They could have added Easy, Regular, and Hard settings that could change tactics of the AI, along with the Pokes they have. In Hard, the E4 could still have a type theme, but with better Pokes that would also cover their weaknesses. They could have given in-game trainers personalities like they did all the Pokes. Some trainers heal up quickly, some stall, some attack relentlessly. It is so easy to defeat trainers when you know they are going to use a heal move when their Pokes HP hits a certain level. All it takes is a low power move to get HP half way and then a STAB move to KO. Having personalities wouldn't make this strategy so easy. But six-year olds need to be able to beat the game or else it wouldn't sell as much. I had such hopes that DP would be a step in the right direction, but so far it is simply Emerald Redux. Pity.

Years
  • Yea i used to thinik if i push A every time the ball moved it woulds make it stay in, and i know if dosent but i still do it, force of habit now :P

Question:
    What dose the everstone do?

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Aug 11, 2009
    Sweet Scent doesn't even work since you don't take your Pokes with you.

Actually, while you can't use them in-battle, you DO still technically have them with you, allowing you to use field moves like Cut, Surf, Sweet Scent, etc.

Samson

no, i don't know milk drink
    Years
  • Actually, while you can't use them in-battle, you DO still technically have them with you, allowing you to use field moves like Cut, Surf, Sweet Scent, etc.

yeah, sweet scent still works. very helpful, but can be a drag when you don't feel like hunting for Kangaskhan's anymore.

i have another thing to ask (lol i know...): since i'm walking around to hatch all these eggs, i figured i'd walk around and look for hidden items. there's a problem though. my item finder works, but how am i supposed to get the hidden items? i remember from RBY where most of them are for the most part, but once i go over a hidden item, i try pressing A and B, and even tried using Dig, but i still do not attain the item. last time i played LG, i was not concerned with hidden items and didn't not figure out the new technique in finding hidden items... so what am i supposed to do?

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    My apologies. Thanks to you and Icha for the correction.

As for the Itemfinder. Unlike RBY/GSC, it doesn't pinpoint the EXACT location for you, but more of a general area. You have to search that area yourself, pressing A. Don't forget the TWO Leftovers that you can get by searching where each Snorlax was.

Years
  • Question: Which Snorlax are we talking about, i tried where both were and got nothing. Is it even anything important?

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    Leftovers are the best hold item in the game, so they are a little important. They will not show up unless you have caught/fainted Snorlax though. Once that is done, the Itemfinder will alert you there is something there and point you in a general location. It won't be too easy though. You have to search every tile in that area, but you will find them.

Samson

no, i don't know milk drink
    Years
  • shane, after reading throughout your original post plenty times, i sorta figured how you can manipulate the use of pokemon to teach moves to pokemon that would not otherwise learn them. so: i've been trying to breed a venonat that learns Spore as an egg move. Spore induces sleep 100% of the time, but only parasect can learn it. my venomoth would only be so much better if it had spore, but unfortunately, it's not under the "egg moves" list at Serebii.

so, this kind of breeding i'm trying to attempt wouldn't work since it's not an egg move for venonat, right?

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    Correct. While it would be GREAT to be able to teach any move to any Poke through breeding, that would take away the uniqueness and balance that GF has put so much time into creating.

BTW - You do know that Venonat learns Sleep Powder at Lv36, right? While it isn't 100% like Spore, it is still 75%. Not too shabby.

BTW 2 - Don't forget that Shroomish and Smeargle also learn Spore.

Years
    • Seen Dec 6, 2006
    Help!

How can I wake up the sleeping snorelax..
    if it's a flood then from where can I get it?
    if it isn't, then hw can I wake up the snorelax?

Kraka-chan

From the Kraka Club
    Years
  • How can I wake up the sleeping snorelax..
    if it's a flood then from where can I get it?
    if it isn't, then hw can I wake up the snorelax?

You need to get the Pokeflute from Mr. Fuji in Lavender Town.
    He will be found at the top of the Pokemon Tower (provided you have the Silph Scope).

And what do you mean by a flood? I don't understand.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back