• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen The final boss in this game sucks

Shadow

Original Flavor Darkness
Years
  • The Lapras makes more sense from the R/B/G, Yellow, and anime perspective. Red supposedly went into hiding (Mt. Silver) shortly after defeating the Elite Four. He wouldn't have kept an Eevee until then without evolving it in Kanto. Lapras, as stated, is also obtained as part of the storyline and is owned by the anime version of the hero. Not to mention, the entire existence of Red is a homage to R/B/G/Y. Espeon on his team never made any sense since it was unobtainable in generation I, which Red is reference to.

Not to mention, I always one-shot Espeon, even with an under-leveled team. Lapras would be a bit more difficult...

blendaz

Yo, Champ in the making!
    Years
  • I absolutely agree with Shadow :]
    Espeon was much easy in G/S/C and it wasn't a big deal ... i really like his team now in the new remakes ... Lapras makes a great add-in to his Pokémon team.
    If you don't like this you can go play G/S/C.
    I don't want to be rude or anything ... i just say my opinion :]

Nincada

Please be kind.
    Years
  • Espeon was weak, and I want red to kick my ass before I beat him, fighting easy bosses is always such a letdown.

The Roshi

I must become stronger...
    Years
  • The game was much harder since we were all so young. He doesn't suck, in fact he's probably a lot harder (thanks to hail and a suitable roster change) for kids.

Sasuke.

Hope | Less
    Years
  • Lol. Me and Typholsion pulled threw with like, 3HP left after Charizard. Beat him with Flamethrower.
    WinWinWin.

And I thought he was a challenge, I was sad to see Espeon go too. D:

Swolligator

Butcher of the Sands
    Years
  • What i have read when i was over in japan a few weeks ago was an article published talking to Game Freak on the HGSS games and came across information that i interpreted (it might not be correct).
    (this is not word for word, just an overview.)
    What they said is that the final battle was with Red, and that this red was not Ash from the anime (since he was based off of red) but rather that this was the Red from the manga.
    where he obtains all the pokemon he has in HGSS in the manga.

Years
  • Espeon used Baton Pass...

Assuming Red has no egg moves on the Espeon, players may look forward to CALM MIND or SUBSTITUTE as passed to Lapras.

One should also consider the stats of Espeon before complaining.
    Epeon is a SPECIAL ATTACKER. (Spesho!)

A STAB Zen Headbutt is gonna hurt less (probably) than a Psychic.
    HIDDEN POWER is also a special attack no matter how much one misses the good old days. Add to HIDDEN POWER at least one CALM MIND boost (+1 SpA & SpDef) and a SAND ATTACK or (the gods forbid) a BATON PASSed DOUBLE TEAM and enjoy your battle against FEAR! (sans Rattata).

But enough of Ess, the Peon.

CALM MIND boosted PIKACHU?
    CALM MIND boosted Charizard with a Substitute?
    A safe Snorlax because of several saved DOUBLE TEAMS?

I. For one. Am totally primped that Espeon has not tagged along.

Huzzah.

Years
    • Seen Dec 9, 2023
    I hate his team. It doesn't reflect what happened 3 years earlier in FR/LG at all. I don't remember starting out with a Pikachu and all 3 starters in FR/LG, none of that happened. Red's team should only have 1 Kanto starter, and Pikachu shouldn't even be on his team. I mean, come on, it's the final boss of the game, wait, not let me take that back, Red is the final boss of the fourth Generation of Pokemon, and yet he has an extremely weak Pokemon, Pikachu, on his team.

IMO, I would have made his team something like:
    Lv87 Aerodactyl / Or some random strong Pokemon that's not Pikachu
    Lv85 Espeon
    Lv86 Snorlax
    Lv86 Poliwrath / Lapras
    Lv86 Ninetales / Magmortar
    Lv88 Venusaur

And also in FR/LG, your rival had a Kanto starter too, but in HG/SS he had zero. So it seems that HG/SS is having teams based on Yellow version rather than FR/LG to me. That's pretty stupid, because Yellow version is just a stupid fan-service game, and I thought HG/SS are sequels to FR/LG.

Poliwagged

is waggin' his tail
    Years
    • Seen May 12, 2012
    I hate his team. It doesn't reflect what happened 3 years earlier in FR/LG at all. I don't remember starting out with a Pikachu and all 3 starters in FR/LG, none of that happened. Red's team should only have 1 Kanto starter, and Pikachu shouldn't even be on his team. I mean, come on, it's the final boss of the game, wait, not let me take that back, Red is the final boss of the fourth Generation of Pokemon, and yet he has an extremely weak Pokemon, Pikachu, on his team.

Lv85 Espeon
    Lv86 Snorlax
    Lv86 Poliwrath / Lapras
    Lv88 Venusaur

And also in FR/LG, your rival had a Kanto starter too, but in HG/SS he had zero. So it seems that HG/SS is having teams based on Yellow version rather than FR/LG to me. That's pretty stupid, because Yellow version is just a stupid fan-service game, and I thought HG/SS are sequels to FR/LG.

His pikachu acts as a kamikaze bomb.
    If it's faster than you, it will most likely take out a big chunk of your HP, if not all of it, though in the process of killing itself.

They wanted to keep the rival having a starter ambiguous, considering when you played R/B/Y/FR/LG, his team changes depending on what you choose. Perhaps as to not draw crowds of angry fans going "BLUE SHOULDN'T HAVE THIS POKEMON, HE SHOULD HAVE THAT INSTEAD BECAUSE WHEN I PLAYED HE HAD THAT".
    And if I recall correctly, the team he has in HG/SS is the same team he had in G/S.

Red has all of the starters to represent that the player could have chosen any three of them. Snorlax represents the roadblocks in Red's story, Lapras represents his defeat of Team Rocket, and Pikachu is there just because he's the mascot of Pokemon which is ambiguous with Red being Pokemon's love child.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • And also in FR/LG, your rival had a Kanto starter too, but in HG/SS he had zero. So it seems that HG/SS is having teams based on Yellow version rather than FR/LG to me. That's pretty stupid, because Yellow version is just a stupid fan-service game, and I thought HG/SS are sequels to FR/LG.
    Another reason to having all three starters is that this is the Red from GSC - who was based on Yellow, the most recent main game before GSC where Red had all three starters and Pikachu. (And Snorlax and an Espeon). Looking at the complaints over the lack of a Espeon, imagine what it'd be like if they completely changed Red from GSC's team and replaced another 3 Pokemon, two of them the starters and Pikachu? The 'should be keeping in line with the FR/LG games' is a fair point, but I can see why they kept to a Yellow-esque team - because being the GSC remakes, they decided to keep Red true to his GSC team... well, for the most part. ;P They only went and replaced Espeon for Lapras (a feasible Pokemon for Red to obtain as mentioned before) which arguably is more likely for him to get than Espeon, and suits the whole Hail aspect far more.

That, or Red just likes trading. But I do feel that HG/SS is more a GSC first and foremost remake than a FR/LG sequel, hence Red's team. As for Pikachu... well, this, really:
    Pikachu is there just because he's the mascot of Pokemon which is ambiguous with Red being Pokemon's love child.
    More or less, anyways. =P Pikachu is still the main mascot after all, so remain it shall for better or worse. Pity for those who don't like him, but oh well. If you don't like Pikachu, then just take delight in EQ'ing the rodent like I do! =D

Tox

fight me
    Years
  • I hate his team. It doesn't reflect what happened 3 years earlier in FR/LG at all. I don't remember starting out with a Pikachu and all 3 starters in FR/LG, none of that happened. Red's team should only have 1 Kanto starter, and Pikachu shouldn't even be on his team. I mean, come on, it's the final boss of the game, wait, not let me take that back, Red is the final boss of the fourth Generation of Pokemon, and yet he has an extremely weak Pokemon, Pikachu, on his team.

Lv85 Espeon
    Lv86 Snorlax
    Lv86 Poliwrath / Lapras
    Lv88 Venusaur

The game is a remake of G/S/C. It says that everywhere. Not once, have I heard it say that the game was a sequel to FR/LG. Red's team is based on his G/S/C team which are Pokémon obtainable in Yellow. He starts off with a Pikachu which won't evolve. He quickly obtains Bulbasaur, Charmander and Squirtle. Lapras is obtained at Silph Co. (Espeon was only there to include a G/S/C Pokémon, but it isn't obtainable in Yellow.) Snorlax is obtainable in two places in the game. That's why Red has those Pokémon. Also, Pikachu is like Red's signature Pokémon. Just because that's not the team you would use in the game, doesn't mean everyone else shares the same opinion. It would actually be the worst decision ever to replace Pikachu, Blastoise and Charizard. Especially with Pokémon like Magmortar which has no significance whatsoever. This is why you are not making the Pokémon games.

Years
    • Seen Dec 9, 2023
    The game is a remake of G/S/C. It says that everywhere. Not once, have I heard it say that the game was a sequel to FR/LG. Red's team is based on his G/S/C team which are Pokémon obtainable in Yellow. He starts off with a Pikachu which won't evolve. He quickly obtains Bulbasaur, Charmander and Squirtle. Lapras is obtained at Silph Co. (Espeon was only there to include a G/S/C Pokémon, but it isn't obtainable in Yellow.) Snorlax is obtainable in two places in the game. That's why Red has those Pokémon. Also, Pikachu is like Red's signature Pokémon. Just because that's not the team you would use in the game, doesn't mean everyone else shares the same opinion. It would actually be the worst decision ever to replace Pikachu, Blastoise and Charizard. Especially with Pokémon like Magmortar which has no significance whatsoever. This is why you are not making the Pokémon games.
    Yellow is a stupid, fan-service, anime-based-game. Also Gen I & II is no longer canon, so I don't see why his team is still based on Yellow, which is based on the anime. This game is a remake of G/S/C, but G/S/C are sequels to R/B/Y, and thus HG/SS are sequels to FR/LG. If you actually pay attention, many of the features introduced in FR/LG that didn't make it in to D/P/Pt, were put back in the HG/SS. Pikachu is an extremely weak Pokemon, and I seriously don't care if it's the mascot, because it's weak. I listed Venusaur, because promotional Sugimori art from Gen I shows that Red picked Bulbasaur, Green picked Charmander, and the female player that was going to be in R/B but was scrapped, picked Squirtle: https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Pokémon_Red_and_Green_beta#Female_player_character.

Also why the hell are you explaining why he has Lapras and Snorlax? I thought it was pretty obvious O_o... notice how I didn't remove Lapras and Snorlax from what I would have made his team. And according to that artwork (which was made before the stupid anime exist), the original creators of the Kanto characters intended for Red to start out with Bulbasaur, not Pikachu. Aerodactyl is one of the Pokemon you can obtain. Poliwrath is a Kanto Pokemon. So is Ninetales, and Magmortar bases from Kanto Pokemon. The team structure I listed is based on your rival in FR/LG, meaning 3 random Pokemon, and then a fire Pokemon, a water Pokemon, and a grass Pokemon, one of them being Venusaur, Charizard, or Blastoise.

I'm not making the Pokémon games because I don't work there, and I'm under 20, and I would never even want to work there :/.

Oh, and btw, Pikachu is an extremely weak Pokemon.

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    Ok....so, in G/S/C, Red was like Ash, but with Espeon (like Red out of the manga.

I think they fixed it to be Ash, by switching one pokemon.

C'mon, you'd all be complaining if he had the team of Red of the manga, wouldn't you?

LethalTexture

Breeder and Battler
    Years
  • He isn't Ash though. people forget that the anime was based on the games, and not the other way around. likewise, the manga is based on the games. But, all three influence each other.

Thus, game Red isn't Anime Ash or manga Red, and likewise with the other two.

MizuJosh

Graceful Water Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Feb 21, 2010
    The Red in this game is just RED. He's not Ash. Not Manga Red. Just Red. Jeesh.

He's fine the way he is. Having the Kanto Starters makes it epic, I think. Gives him a sense of accomplishment to me.

Years
  • It's been said, but I'm in a ranting mood.
    Pokemon Trainer Red is not the same as Manga Red, or Ash from the Anime. The games, ie Red, and Blue, came before either the Anime or Manga came out, and hence any similarities means a reference to the game (not Vice-versa). Nintendo/Game Freak, seeing the popularity of the Anime, essentially "hacked" Red to Yellow Version, with similarities to the Anime (notably, Pikachu walking with you, all starters available, etc). Yellow was the final Kanto game of that gen, and although it's clear Yellow was not a sequel to Red or Blue, the events were different. Yellow, having "taken place" last, is therefore the guideline they followed with Pokemon Trainer Red. In GSC, his team matched that which was possible to obtain yourself in Yellow- Pikachu first (indicating that it was a starter Pokemon, possibly, not to mention it was the highest level). All three Kanto starters, only possible to obtain in Yellow. A Snorlax, two of which can be found in Yellow. Espeon.. Was random. An Eevee can be obtained in Yellow, and i guess they wanted to include a gen-2 Pokemon. Or show that Red was a skilled Trainer who could make his Pokemon happy, or whatever.
    Now, in HGSS, Espeon was effectively replaced with a Lapras. This, again, references a possible team for the Player in Yellow, and it also references that Red was indeed present at Silph Co, fighting Team Rocket (remember, the guy gives it as thanks for Red rescuing him?).
    From all that, it's clear that GSC were essentially sequels to Yellow, and basically, HGSS aren't sequels to FRLG, but remakes of GSC (there's a difference, as I've shown).
    A bit more to prove it references the events of Yellow- look at Green's team. He's got no starter Pokemon, but basically all the Pokemon he'd have, other than the starter. Although in Yellow he had an Eeveelution, that had been determined by the Player's actions, and since the games appear to reference the Player's POSSIBLE actions, then they couldn't assume he'd have a Vaporeon or something.
    Hm.. Over two thousand characters. Ouch.

Back